Lonie.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lonie.

Give him a one year contract to keep him on the edge.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Schneideresque? No!

Last night his mighty game was Milnesque, well done Jack Lonie.

I salivate at the prospect of him and Long in our forward half going forward.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Still dont rate.

Cant stick a tackle.

Interesting that it takes until the second last game for him to have anything half decent.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

He was great last night. Definitely has a future.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
ace
Saintsational Legend

If you are going to take Max King in the draft do you think you can trade Paddy, a box of lancets and a tub of test strips for a late 5th round pick.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 12:05pm One of our better players this season and doing his job as a small forward- his attitude and attack on the contest are at the top end of the team IMO. I felt like he, and Minch needed to get games and settle, and would be good for us, but Richo hasn't shown faith in Minch.
I fear that Minch's pink slip has already been prepared along with that of Nathan Wright.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 2:01pm Still dont rate.

Cant stick a tackle.

Interesting that it takes until the second last game for him to have anything half decent.
Has offered up good defensive pressure since he came back into the side, and he's been good for weeks, not just last night.

saintbob
SS Life Member

I still hate the way he takes a dive all the time, really needs to find a few more tricks if he’s going to make it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He just needs to bulk up a bit and make those tackles stick. As far as him making it as a small forward, kicking straight for goal goes a long way.

axcellence
Club Player

I’ve always been a fan of Lonie from 2014. But he’s just not a good fit for the tackle game plan. He’s never going to flourish long term at St Kilda and vice verca. He’s done well recently to generate trade value and should be traded. Right now, saints need a different type of small forward.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 9:00am I’ve always been a fan of Lonie from 2014. But he’s just not a good fit for the tackle game plan. He’s never going to flourish long term at St Kilda and vice verca. He’s done well recently to generate trade value and should be traded. Right now, saints need a different type of small forward.

Maybe it’s the tackle game plan that needs scrutiny. Sure it’s important, but so is polish and finishing and that’s what cost us another win on Saturday.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

bigred wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 2:01pm Still dont rate.

Cant stick a tackle.

Agree. A few good games in dead rubbers doesn't mean much. I'd trade him for what ever we can get for him. We don't need a small forward who is too light and can't tackle. He really can't. He may lay one a game but it's not enough. Plus with long coming good we can cover his position

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 9:00am I’ve always been a fan of Lonie from 2014. But he’s just not a good fit for the tackle game plan. He’s never going to flourish long term at St Kilda and vice verca. He’s done well recently to generate trade value and should be traded. Right now, saints need a different type of small forward.
We can’t use a small forward who has just kicked 2 + 2 + 2 + 4 goals and got around 20 possessions as well as score assists in his last 4 matches?

Maybe we can revert to Mav who will kick .25 of a goal per match, get 10 touches on a good day but huff & puff and lunge and fly past a contest just missing laying the tackle by a millimeter.

The kid has been the forum whipping boy for two years and yes it’s a small snapshot in time but he’s played good footy in the last 4 matches.
He played well in the twos to get recalled and earns his spot. He even kicked straight on the weekend.

He has deficiencies like tackling but if he works hard to improve them he will be a valuable contributor.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Hey - lets get 22 tackle machines - smash the opposition when THEY have the ball - butcher it when we have it - give it back to THEM - then tackle them again. Lets be all conquering - then we can change our name to St George - its not such a leap - and play a completely different code. One that requires you to get the ball back after 6 tackles.

Or how about we accept that some players, such as Lonie and Billings, may never set the world alight as far as tackle counts - but can do other stuff on the football field.

I am not saying that we should necessarily keep Lonie - but for Gods sake - hang him out to dry for the stuff he is put on the field for - such as missing goals etc - not for some thing that he may never be a world beater at.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
stkfc1
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 10:51am
We can’t use a small forward who has just kicked 2 + 2 + 2 + 4 goals and got around 20 possessions as well as score assists in his last 4 matches?

Maybe we can revert to Mav who will kick .25 of a goal per match, get 10 touches on a good day but huff & puff and lunge and fly past a contest just missing laying the tackle by a millimeter.

The kid has been the forum whipping boy for two years and yes it’s a small snapshot in time but he’s played good footy in the last 4 matches.
He played well in the twos to get recalled and earns his spot. He even kicked straight on the weekend.

He has deficiencies like tackling but if he works hard to improve them he will be a valuable contributor.
Yeah lets trade the guy who kicks goals and get in the guy who lays tackles. Last time I checked you don't get points for laying tackles. :roll:

The tackling and strength stuff he can work on. The skills are already there so lets not throw the baby out with bath water here.

axcellence
Club Player

No, Lonie has played well only recently just when his contract was up for renewal.

Other times he has been pretty average.

Just another player who plays out of their skin when they know they are about to be delisted.

If he was that much quality, he had 4 years to show them.

Can’t evade tackles like Milne or get frees like Puopolo. Can’t tackle and basically does well when he gets good service, ie the top forwards are out injured, and other than kicking to players like Marshall, players are forced to kick it to him.

He’s a good player in a GOP mould. Might do well at the Dogs/Essendon. Can be a win/win trade. It doesn’t always have to be about screwing the other team over.

Lonie is doing the 2017 Dunstan like performance. Looking good in the final games when most teams are slowing down due to the season’s grind meaning slower players look better than they are. Where’s Dunstan? VFL.

Lonie
Dunstan
Acres
McCartin
Goddard
Newnes
Savage
Geary
Weller

are all GOPs. They need to be all traded over the next 1-3 years. It’s the bitter truth even if none of us like it.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dusty had one tackle on the weekend… they are over-rated.

Lonie can play, plenty worse on the list currently.

Shaggy
Club Player

axcellence wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 9:33pm

No, Lonie has played well only recently just when his contract was up for renewal.

Just another player who plays out of their skin when they know they are about to be delisted.

Can’t evade tackles like Milne or get frees like Puopolo. Can’t tackle and basically does well when he gets good service, ie the top forwards are out injured, and other than kicking to players like Marshall, players are forced to kick it to him.

He’s a good player in a GOP mould. Might do well at the Dogs/Essendon. Can be a win/win trade. It doesn’t always have to be about screwing the other team over.

Lonie is doing the 2017 Dunstan like performance. Looking good in the final games when most teams are slowing down due to the season’s grind meaning slower players look better than they are. Where’s Dunstan? VFL.

Lonie
Dunstan
Acres
McCartin
Goddard
Newnes
Savage
Geary
Weller

are all GOPs. They need to be all traded over the next 1-3 years. It’s the bitter truth even if none of us like it.
You used to back Lonie. The kid is now converting goals past 4 weeks. It is not about teams slowing down. He has done it against GWS, Hawthorn and Essendon. All teams desperate for finals. The kid may have just become a player. 3 or 4 years in is about the time you can suddenly jump into being a confident footballer.

Acres is a gun when not injured.

Newnes played out of position is GOP.

Geary is an elite shut down player.

axcellence
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 10:16pm

Lonie
Dunstan
Acres
McCartin
Goddard
Newnes
Savage
Geary
Weller

You used to back Lonie. The kid is now converting goals past 4 weeks. It is not about teams slowing down. He has done it against GWS, Hawthorn and Essendon. All teams desperate for finals. The kid may have just become a player. 3 or 4 years in is about the time you can suddenly jump into being a confident footballer.

Lonie has had a purple patch. But along with statistics, we should consider how sustainable it is. He’ll be gone the moment the opposition put some work into him. Just hasn’t shown much after 2014 until now. Like I said - GOP like. Better to trade him now so that we can get something for him. He might get more opportunities elsewhere and saints can get a pick/player in return. Dempster was steak knives in a deal. So definitely there is an option to trade for a solid no namer.

Acres... gun? In our wet dreams. When was the last time he was BOG in an AFL game? He’s the next Stanley... permanent tease.

Geary is an elite stopper and a kicking liability.

Shaggy
Club Player

axcellence wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 10:32pm

Lonie
Dunstan
Acres
McCartin
Goddard
Newnes
Savage
Geary
Weller

Lonie has had a purple patch. But along with statistics, we should consider how sustainable it is. He’ll be gone the moment the opposition put some work into him. Just hasn’t shown much after 2014 until now. Like I said - GOP like. Better to trade him now so that we can get something for him. He might get more opportunities elsewhere and saints can get a pick/player in return. Dempster was steak knives in a deal. So definitely there is an option to trade for a solid no namer.

Acres... gun? In our wet dreams. When was the last time he was BOG in an AFL game? He’s the next Stanley... permanent tease.

Purple patches around the 3 to 4 year mark tend to continue. I doubted Lonie because of his kicking. Hopefully he continues to convert. Nothing to do with opposition.

I have seen enough of Acres. He is a gun.

Geary miss kicks maybe twice a game. I judge him by the ten saves he makes.

axcellence
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 11:03pm
axcellence wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 10:32pm

Lonie
Dunstan
Acres
McCartin
Goddard
Newnes
Savage
Geary
Weller

Purple patches around the 3 to 4 year mark tend to continue. I doubted Lonie because of his kicking. Hopefully he continues to convert. Nothing to do with opposition.

I have seen enough of Acres. He is a gun.

Geary miss kicks maybe twice a game. I judge him by the ten saves he makes.
Dunstan, Newnes, Weller, Hickey, Longer, McQualter - a few names who have hit purple patches only to go down again.

Acres is a gun? Again, he’s got abilities and maybe he can do a Seb Ross like transformation next year. But next year is pretty much it. He is yet to have a single BOG game this year or last. So, I’d reserve the gun judgment till later.

So, Geary keeps Betts to 1 goal and does two goal assists for the opposition. Still, he’s better than others because saints don’t have any depth for back pocket stopping skills, except Rice.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

See what's happened to us. Jack is officially 174cm and 71kg. Not particularly fast, not particularly high leap. That's what we have been reduced to discussing on the way to a decade long, at least, finals drought. The frog has been boiled.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

HA!

Listed player worthy of conversation.

They will give him another year. Much to my frustration. He has been my whipping boy for two full years before that title was taken by one Jack Billings.

Remember that he did burst onto the scene when first drafted. I daresay he was playing on pure adrenaline and instinct which saw him kicking goals and being an unpredictable small forward.

A few years into the system and that instinct looked to have been completely snuffed out of him. Not surprising really, with our outstanding player development track record.

The thing that really does my head in about Lonie is that he goes back to Sandringham and kills it. The best goalkicking midfielder on the ground. Repeatedly in our best which is why he is still on the fringe. But then for the most part over the last two years he has been promoted and then given us absolutely nothing.

He should get another year unless someone wants to trade for him.

I

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Tue 21 Aug 2018 9:49am The thing that really does my head in about Lonie is that he goes back to Sandringham and kills it. The best goalkicking midfielder on the ground. Repeatedly in our best which is why he is still on the fringe. But then for the most part over the last two years he has been promoted and then given us absolutely nothing.
This says to me that there is a difference not only in quality between the two levels, but also the way that he is used at AFL level. If he is stuck in the forward line and we are starved of quality entries, is that Lonies fault??

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 4:13pm If you are going to take Max King in the draft do you think you can trade Paddy, a box of lancets and a tub of test strips for a late 5th round pick.
Do you ever get tired of bagging Paddy? I find it really tiresome to read.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"