What if we are done?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: What if we are done?

We need a quality midfielder with pick 4. Once our midfield is better then we can see if McCartin, Bruce, Battle, et al, are up to it with better forward passing. If the talls are found wanting then get a better tall forward next year. No point in getting King if our midfield is still stuffed.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 10:25pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 8:35pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 8:22pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 7:35pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 4:45pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 7:19am
saintsRrising wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 1:41am
Vazelos wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 12:02am
Our No 4 pick will play straight away as he will be elite.
If they choose King I would not expect too much from him in year one.

Whereas Rakine......
I really hope we pick a midfielder. We need a midfielder more than any other type by a long stretch. We need as much depth of quality through the midfield as possible and if they are versatile enough to play other parts of the ground then even better but midfielders are our immediate need. Did I mention we need midfielders?
Agreed.

Wish they’d traded one in that didn’t have ??? about them
Shaun Burgoyne had ??? about him when the Hawks recruited him from PA.
Well hopefully it’ll work out as good as that trade.

Do you back Hannebery to be as good as Burgoyne?
I wouldn't say "back", merely making comparisons to a player who was also perceived as past his peak, banged up and recruited by a club which had questions marks placed over it for doing so.

2 types of people, glass half full...
All I said was that I wished we had recruited an elite mid that didn’t have question marks. It wasn’t a slight at Hannebery as it appears to have been taken... question marks are after all question marks. Nothing more or less.

As you’ve the topic of “glass half full”, I’ll ask again, yes or no... do you think he will be an elite midfielder for us?
No

Having said that I'm not even entirely sure what "elite" is. I'm guesing Dusty was elite last year in the Tiges premiership year.

I'd like to get some perspective on the definition of elite versus A grade. Do you know what the official definitions are? Also is there a comprehensive list available online of all the players that have made these so called elite and A grades?

groupie1
Club Player

the differences are stat based obviously. Clearly a low 'elite' player isn't much above a high 'above average'.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 14 Oct 2018 9:00am

Whereas Rakine......
I really hope we pick a midfielder. We need a midfielder more than any other type by a long stretch. We need as much depth of quality through the midfield as possible and if they are versatile enough to play other parts of the ground then even better but midfielders are our immediate need. Did I mention we need midfielders?
Agreed.

I wouldn't say "back", merely making comparisons to a player who was also perceived as past his peak, banged up and recruited by a club which had questions marks placed over it for doing so.

All I said was that I wished we had recruited an elite mid that didn’t have question marks. It wasn’t a slight at Hannebery as it appears to have been taken... question marks are after all question marks. Nothing more or less.

As you’ve the topic of “glass half full”, I’ll ask again, yes or no... do you think he will be an elite midfielder for us?
No

Having said that I'm not even entirely sure what "elite" is. I'm guesing Dusty was elite last year in the Tiges premiership year.

I'd like to get some perspective on the definition of elite versus A grade. Do you know what the official definitions are? Also is there a comprehensive list available online of all the players that have made these so called elite and A grades?
Interesting questions. It does make your initial response to my post a bit odd though Mr. Glass half full

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 14 Oct 2018 9:39am
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 14 Oct 2018 9:00am

Whereas Rakine......
Agreed.

No

Interesting questions. It does make your initial response to my post a bit odd though Mr. Glass half full
How so?