Plugger v Dunstall: Cringeworthy +

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Plugger v Dunstall: Cringeworthy +

sunsaint wrote: Wed 30 Jan 2019 5:12pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 30 Jan 2019 12:25pm
I think you have a bit of nickname confusion happening sunny!

Robert "bronwn sugar" Elphinstone was known as "The Eel" as he was reputedly very difficult to tackle.
Some also called him Elf, but I never recall racehourse.
Elphinstone signed with Richmond in 84-85 I think, but had a change of heart and stayed at Moorabbin.

The last Racehorse I remember (it was a real 70's nickname) was Neil Besanko.
Neil and his brothers were all very good track runners, Barry who also played at Essendon from memory was a very competent track sprinter.

While not turning Plugger onto the straight and narrow during the infamous Ballarat road trips, I doubt they turned him from a Sunday School boy to bad boy. In fact if you'd ever heard Slug Jordan speak about a 16 year old Plugger in Junior Big V teams you'd get an understanding he was not one for authority even in his junior days. And didn't he despise Kenny Sheldon and Peter Hudson :lol:
thank the big "G" you are back Joffa ( or is that the big "M" in the ether?)
yep neil & eel is too confusing for this ole pony
Elphinstone had a turn of speed on him but it was Besanko that got the title of racehorse
However for the record - Besanko never played with Lockett
I am more worried that no one took issue with me including G Thomas with the great players that lined up with Lockett
I chose to think your Grant Young reference was David Grant (who of course played with Plugger) and George Young who was well before the big fellas time. Definitely wouldn't have rated GT as one of our greats, though to play VFL football you have to be a very good sportsman.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
one point
Club Player

Re: Plugger v Dunstall: Cringeworthy +

“Elphinstone signed with Richmond in 84-85 I think, but had a change of heart and stayed at Moorabbin.”

Eel had a change of mind after the Saints appealed his request for transfer to Richmond at the VFL Appeals Tribunal and won. He subsequently was pleased to have remained at the saints and to be a one club player