COFFIELD

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: COFFIELD

mad saint guy wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 1:03pm I suspect the reason for his drop in form and confidence is due to the fact that we're trying to turn him into a midfielder when he's very clearly your classic rebounding half back. Ideally he should be pushing Savage out of the side and becoming our new distributor from defence but our recruiters and coaches have a morbid fascination with recruiting flankers and trying to turn them into mids.
Spot on. The main problem has been that we have not focussed on drafting genuine mids

We had a chance to start the ball rolling with 'The Bont' followed by the 'Tractor' and possibly used pick 5 to target an A grade mid rather than a key position player...anyhow, at least we got Gresh in 2015.

Let's hope Bytel gets over his back injury and fulfils his potential. Fingers crossed.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 1:23pm
mad saint guy wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 1:03pm I suspect the reason for his drop in form and confidence is due to the fact that we're trying to turn him into a midfielder when he's very clearly your classic rebounding half back. Ideally he should be pushing Savage out of the side and becoming our new distributor from defence but our recruiters and coaches have a morbid fascination with recruiting flankers and trying to turn them into mids.
Spot on. The main problem has been that we have not focussed on drafting genuine mids

We had a chance to start the ball rolling with 'The Bont' followed by the 'Tractor' and possibly used pick 5 to target an A grade mid rather than a key position player...anyhow, at least we got Gresh in 2015.

Let's hope Bytel gets over his back injury and fulfils his potential. Fingers crossed.
Could not have said it any better. Thel whole recruit a HBF and make him into a mid is stupid. If you want a mid draft a f@#king mid. Players evolve over time sure but that is usually gradual and not all change positions

We have him as opposed to stuck with him so make him the best HBF he can be.
Last edited by DJ Higgins on Thu 21 Mar 2019 2:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Christine Patracca is not a genuine mid, not yet anyway!!!!!

Very overrated by many on here, 'The Bont' was a bolter that the dogs got right, given up on Billings have you?????

Coffee is in his 2nd year, I'm not prepared to write him off like some are!!!!!

He will become a good midfielder, by the way, midfielder's now also play half back and half forward, it's called development, I think you have gone too early with these calls, but hey, that's just my opinion!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He's as quick as Jimmy Webster, if not quicker He's 191cm, and he's an elite kick. It's funny, it took Lenny Hayes and Leigh Montagna three years to find their feet, as it did for Jack Steven and David Armitage. To throw around such enormous doubts about his future reeks of negativity and hysterical panic based on no evidence at all. Only about 1% of players play like seasoned veterans in their first year

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Brendan Goddard was not considered a genuine mid when he was drafted......330 games, mostly a midfielder.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 1:48pm

Very overrated by many on here, 'The Bont' was a bolter that the dogs got right, given up on Billings have you?????

He will become a good midfielder, by the way, midfielder's now also play half back and half forward, it's called development, I think you have gone too early with these calls, but hey, that's just my opinion!!!!!
Overall I agree with most of what you say....but

We should have picked a mid like Petracca or Brayshaw in 2014 rather than a KPP. It would have been symbolic and it may have had us on a path to getting back into finals. Our recruiting team and our football department seem to be a decade or two behind in their thinking

Collingwood rebuilt their midfield and that is the main reason they are succesful again. Clarko was lucky enough to have had A grade mids that were also his captains. When they got old, Clarko wanted the best available mids to replace them and he paid overs in draft picks to get them.

All the great teams like Brisbane from 2001-2004 or the West Coast team from 2005/2006 or the Cats triple premiership era. All had a gun midfield and when they fell away they stocked back up with A grade mids.

I'm hoping that JB and Coff are vital cogs in a midfield that bats deep for us in years to come, but I hope that our recruitment team don't make the same mistakes over and over when they get a chance to trade. Target a mid who is a bona fide star and a mid who is at the top of his game, not a broken mid who is on the decline

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I liked most of what I saw with Coff last year, and am a little disappointed he hasn’t managed to develop enough to snag a spot in Round 1. Hopefully not too far off. Got a nice shimmy on him that reminds me of Lenny.

Not a lot of intelligence in our recruiting or list management team in recent years. Clearly didn’t recruit for needs or do enough research to understand the limitations or upside on any of the more talked about draft prospects.

Last years draft saw some semblance of strategy- with the deliberate targeting of mature players to fill gaps. I feel reasonably confident that our recruitment and list management over the next few years will be significantly improved over the Trout years.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Coff will be in our best 10 players within 5 years. Bookmark it. Along with Hunter.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
oldie60
Club Player

I thought his debut game last year was good but seems to have fallen by the way side. Draw comparison to Port Adelaide's Darcy Byrne Jones who really took two to three years to develop and now is probably in their best 22. He'll come good.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

On the topic of our mindblowingly bad recruiting over the past decade or so; holy hell Connor Rozee would have been a great selection for us. But we just don't pick fit players with strong recent form. Always looking for a bargain.

Let's take the lanky FF who didn't play all year because a terrible knee injury...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 1:12pm On the topic of our mindblowingly bad recruiting over the past decade or so; holy hell Connor Rozee would have been a great selection for us. But we just don't pick fit players with strong recent form. Always looking for a bargain.

Let's take the lanky FF who didn't play all year because a terrible knee injury...
That has been my criticism of of recruiting for many years. Our recruiters (or at least those with the final say) seem obsessed with being able to boast about how they were amazed INSERT NAME was still ther at our pick. They love "sliders".

Having said that evidently our actual head recruiter was in favour of Rozee and was overuled by Lethlean to go for KIng as our first pick.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/11/21/ ... r-mcclure/

“I think it’s Chris Liberatore, who is their national recruiting boss, really likes Rozee, and Simon Lethlean, who is their head of football, really likes King.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 1:25pm
mad saint guy wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 1:12pm On the topic of our mindblowingly bad recruiting over the past decade or so; holy hell Connor Rozee would have been a great selection for us. But we just don't pick fit players with strong recent form. Always looking for a bargain.

That has been my criticism of of recruiting for many years. Our recruiters (or at least those with the final say) seem obsessed with being able to boast about how they were amazed INSERT NAME was still ther at our pick. They love "sliders".

Having said that evidently our actual head recruiter was in favour of Rozee and was overuled by Lethlean to go for KIng as our first pick.

“I think it’s Chris Liberatore, who is their national recruiting boss, really likes Rozee, and Simon Lethlean, who is their head of football, really likes King.
Did you see Hipwood last night?

A lanky 202cm 21 yr old key forward kicking 5 for a Firedup Lions outfit.

Kingy in 2021 could easily be that for us

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Charlie Constable pick 36 same year as Coffield. 3 games, 25 disposals per game, a goal a game, rising star nomination. Genuine mid and playing like one.

guitars4
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 5:40pm

Charlie Constable pick 36 same year as Coffield. 3 games, 25 disposals per game, a goal a game, rising star nomination. Genuine mid and playing like one.
I'm still hopeful but apparently he had a poor game againt the Dog's reserves team as well . I'm prepared to make this season a learning curve & next year it's all up :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 1:35pm

He could well be . My point though that our recuiters seemed to prefer another. Add to that that mids are a much surer bet in the draft than tall forwards and rucks.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stkfc1
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 1:00pm
saintspremiers wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 1:35pm

He could well be . My point though that our recuiters seemed to prefer another. Add to that that mids are a much surer bet in the draft than tall forwards and rucks.
After the Hanners debacle, SL should have nothing to do with list management. It concerns me how much say he has in everything and seems to get his own way most of the time. His current track record isnt very good. King may end up being great but still a risk. Everyone knew Rozee was going to be a jet.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Don't agree with this post. King would have pushed for top 2 selection had he played.

And the recent form / unavailability of McCartin makes King an even better choice in hindsight.

I didn't love the selection of a tall at draft time, but given our current scenario - picking a very talented forward at 4 could be a masterstroke.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

King would have gone no 1 unless for his knee injury.

Chuck him in the forward line alongside Bruce and Membrey. That is a very dangerous forward line. Hopefully he gets up for a couple of late games. Then we need to recruit his brother to be our next CHB.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
twirlyhair
Club Player

stonecold wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 1:48pm

Hey what makes you think you can come in here and give perspective on this site?!

twirlyhair
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 1:27pm

Don't agree with this post. King would have pushed for top 2 selection had he played.

And the recent form / unavailability of McCartin makes King an even better choice in hindsight.

I didn't love the selection of a tall at draft time, but given our current scenario - picking a very talented forward at 4 could be a masterstroke.
Yeah agree, with the recruitment of King, clearly the club knows the limitations of Paddy. King will be vital for us if we want to be any good.

ss1986
Club Player

Not sure what you expect when this is the history of Picks 7 and 8 combos. Said it at the time, and will say it again; should've used one of the picks on an established player, and taken 7 or 8 to the draft to hedge our bets.

Here, picked out of the dustbin, is the list of combo 7/8 dating back 31 years..... OF COURSE, our recruiters know better. What a joke. 3 combos that are a pass.... and barely a pass at that.

7 Chris Lindsay North Melbourne West Torrens 1986
8 Grantley Fielke Collingwood West Adelaide 1986
7 Darren Davies Western Bulldogs North Hobart 1987
8 Darren Jones Geelong Moe 1987
7 Leon Cameron Western Bulldogs South Warrnambool 1988
8 Dion Scott Sydney Swans Devonport 1988
7 Stephen Edgar Carlton East Fremantle 1989
8 Brad Tunbridge Sydney Swans East Fremantle 1989
7 Damian Hampson Carlton Subiaco 1990
8 Paul Gow Western Bulldogs Swan Districts 1990
7 Jeremy Guard Fitzroy Claremont 1991
8 Michael Symons Essendon Subiaco 1991
7 Wayne Hernaman Richmond South Fremantle 1992
8 Paul Symmons West Coast West Perth 1992
7 Chris L. Johnson Fitzroy Northern U18 1993
8 Michael Frost St Kilda Western Bulldogs 1993
7 Tony Brown St Kilda Geelong U18 1994
8 Daniel Harford Hawthorn Northern U18 1994
7 Ben Edwards Fremantle Claremont 1995
8 Jared Crouch Sydney Swans Norwood 1995
7 Bowen Lockwood Port Adelaide Geelong U18 1996
8 Leigh Brockman Geelong Tasmania U18 1996
7 Kris Massie Carlton Dandenong U18 1997
8 Chris Tarrant Collingwood Bendigo U18 1997
7 Josh Carr Port Adelaide East Fremantle 1998
8 Jude Bolton Sydney Swans Calder U18 1998

7 Danny Roach Collingwood Tasmania U18 1999
8 Joel Corey Geelong East Perth 1999
7 Laurence Angwin Adelaide Dandenong U18 2000
8 Daniel Motlop North Melbourne North Adelaide 2000
7 David Hale North Melbourne Broadbeach 2001
8 Jimmy Bartel Geelong Geelong U18 2001

7 Andrew Mackie Geelong Glenelg 2002
8 Luke Brennan Hawthorn North Ballarat U18 2002
7 Kane Tenace Geelong Murray U18 2003
8 Raphael Clarke St Kilda St Marys (NT) 2003
7 Jordan Lewis Hawthorn Geelong U18 2004
8 John Meesen Adelaide Geelong U18 2004
7 Patrick Ryder Essendon East Fremantle 2005
8 Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls Richmond East Perth 2005
7 Joel Selwood Geelong Bendigo U18 2006
8 Ben Reid Collingwood Murray U18 2006

7 Rhys Palmer Fremantle East Fremantle 2007
8 Lachie Henderson Brisbane Lions Geelong U18 2007
7 Daniel Rich Brisbane Lions Subiaco 2008
8 Ty Vickery Richmond Sandringham U18 2008
7 Brad Sheppard West Coast East Fremantle 2009
8 John Butcher Port Adelaide Gippsland U18 2009
7 Josh Caddy Gold Coast Northern U18 2010
8 Dyson Heppell Essendon Gippsland U18 2010

7 Nick Haynes Greater Western Sydney Dandenong U18 2011
8 Billy Longer Brisbane Lions Northern U18 2011
7 Ollie Wines Port Adelaide Bendigo U18 2012
8 Sam Mayes Brisbane Lions North Adelaide 2012
7 James Aish Brisbane Lions Norwood 2013
8 Luke McDonald North Melbourne Werribee 2013
7 Paul Ahern Greater Western Sydney Calder U18 2014
8 Peter Wright Gold Coast Calder U18 2014
7 Jacob Hopper Greater Western Sydney North Ballarat U18 2015
8 Callum Ah Chee Gold Coast South Fremantle 2015
7 Jack Scrimshaw Gold Coast Sandringham U18 2016
8 Griffin Logue Fremantle Swan Districts 2016

the dome
Club Player

Still early days for NICK

"My gut feel is he will be a major disappointment.
Hope I’m wrong but doesn’t seem to be in our best 22"

Nick is still young like a few others so i'm prepping myself to be patient.
There are a few handy attributes there so i'm keeping my fingers crossed he just has a good year with no injuries.

I'm glad you're at our club Nick. :)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

.he is still only a kid.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2019 5:48pm Not sure what you expect when this is the history of Picks 7 and 8 combos. Said it at the time, and will say it again; should've used one of the picks on an established player, and taken 7 or 8 to the draft to hedge our bets.

Here, picked out of the dustbin, is the list of combo 7/8 dating back 31 years..... OF COURSE, our recruiters know better. What a joke. 3 combos that are a pass.... and barely a pass at that.

I'd be more than happy if these two (ClarkE & Coffield) match the 2012 alumni!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2019 5:48pm Not sure what you expect when this is the history of Picks 7 and 8 combos. Said it at the time, and will say it again; should've used one of the picks on an established player, and taken 7 or 8 to the draft to hedge our bets.

What magical established player would you have used pick 7 or 8 on?

Pretty known the club tried this but couldn't convince any decent players to arrive. So it's not exactly a new though nor different from the club's desire.