Has there been anyone more St kilda than Grant Thomas.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

happy feet
Club Player

Re: Has there been anyone more St kilda than Grant Thomas.

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2019 7:21pm
happy feet wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2019 10:43pm Ian Drake
George Huggins
Allan Jeans
Alan Killigrew
Barry Breen
Trevor Barker
Nick Riewoldt

I loved Thommo as coach but massive error of judgement to take a loan from Butterrs.
Why?

My view on this Barry is that it clouds the professional relationship between an employer and an employee. In this instance it created a dispute that we did not need to have and was a major part of the reason that GT was sacked. Now we know our President, at that time may also had not the best judgement.

Did his sacking have anything to do with his coaching?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
happy feet
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2019 7:21pm
happy feet wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2019 10:43pm Ian Drake
George Huggins
Allan Jeans
Alan Killigrew
Barry Breen
Trevor Barker
Nick Riewoldt

I loved Thommo as coach but massive error of judgement to take a loan from Butterrs.
Why?

My view on this Barry is that it clouds the professional relationship between an employer and an employee. In this instance it created a dispute that we did not need to have and was a major part of the reason that GT was sacked. Now we know our President, at that time may also had not the best judgement.

Did his sacking have anything to do with his coaching?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2019 1:11pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2019 11:54pm Thread title needs a change:

Has There Been Anyone More Grant Thomas Than....Grant Thomas?

Nup.

Mods please lock dumb threads.
Look its just a thread not dumb just scroll on bye no need to comment old timer.
Look I think it’s dumb
It’s just an opinion on a forum....don’t like it? Scroll on by young whipper snapper...

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

GT is bigger than St Kilda FC. Just ask him and he will tell you.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Special
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2019 1:41pm
Special wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2019 11:32am

Nup.

Singular not plural.

There is only one mod - and he’s busy doing other stuff.

It’s a free-for-all in the interim
No I am not.

No it isn’t.

OP is fair question and posters can respectfully agree or disagree.
Is there more than one mod and if so, who is it??

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I like Grant.

Deep into last season we had a few conversations via Twitter, which appears to be his go to media.

At the time I was angling about getting Richo out and I was asking him if he was interested in coming back in some sort of football manager role. He kinda seemed interested without giving too much away.

The conversation came to an abrupt halt after I asked if he could keep his head out of the box on matchday.

Good times.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
ace
Saintsational Legend

I have owned a place in St Kilda for 43 years.
Most of the suburb is rental apartments that turn over in less than 2 years.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Toy Saint wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2019 10:12pm Neil Balme appears to be doing a great job at Richmond. I can see Grant Thomas in a similar role at St Kilda.

Unfortunately the AFL is run like the Chinese Communist party, and I'm afraid Grant Thomas has challenged the party and has been banished from the industry. There is no way the party's representative Mr Lethlean would consider such an appointment.
If he was to come back in a Neil Balme style role then he'd actually be replacing Lethlean. Can't imagine that happening ...

And this is about as unequivocal as it gets - https://www.sportsradio.com.au/st-kilda ... -the-club/

Go you red, black & white warriors
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I like the way we became a real football club under Grant Thomas.

We began to win. We became ruthless. We had a swagger. We also connected better with our members and felt part of something.

Now we're a walking apology; a vanilla carcass of unrelated causes and administrative expediency, waving the waving white flag on the field and a rainbow one off it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 2:13pm I like the way we became a real football club under Grant Thomas.

We began to win. We became ruthless. We had a swagger. We also connected better with our members and felt part of something.

Now we're a walking apology; a vanilla carcass of unrelated causes and administrative expediency, waving the waving white flag on the field and a rainbow one off it.
The thing I liked most through the Thomas era was how he refused to apologise for putting the club first.

A good example was when Baker smashed that Richmond dude off the ball in an unbelievebly stupid act. Oh well, he's our boi so suck it up.

I also liked how he seemed to drive those absolute smashings of the likes of Carlton or Collingwood etc etc. We were absolute flat track bullies at the dome under his coaching and there is no doubt in my mind that he was delivering a message along the lines of "we owe em one"...

The club had a chip on its shoulder against the rest of the league. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
twirlyhair
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 2:13pm I like the way we became a real football club under Grant Thomas.

We also had multiple a grade players. That helps.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 6:45am
BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2019 1:41pm
Special wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2019 11:32am

Nup.

Singular not plural.

There is only one mod - and he’s busy doing other stuff.

It’s a free-for-all in the interim
No I am not.

No it isn’t.

OP is fair question and posters can respectfully agree or disagree.
Is there more than one mod and if so, who is it??
"No I am not" was referencing that I am busy doing other stuff.

There is only me moderating because everyone else quits because of the abuse they receive.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'll take on mod and clean this place up..abuse ? pfft let me worry about that..as I said you need only take out 2 posters and watch the $hit stop.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thing is it was a GROUP of guys all pulling in the one direction that actually rebuilt the club. It was never just GT, and was never due to us being "under" Grant Thomas and indeed when it was heading to be "under" Grant Thomas it undid much of what had been built.

GT, Butterss, Waldron, Kellet, Gerry Ryan and others.

The club faltered because GT wanted it all the GT way and the place fell apart.Others had faults emerge too!

Getting GT back in isolation would be a disaster, just as it was when he wanted too much power and control.

So yes for a time he was a key part of why we became good, and for that I am grateful. But he cannot come back.

The Cats are what they are because hey have a GROUP of talented off-field guys all pulling in the one direction.

That is what we need.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 12 Jun 2019 8:20am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
HighettMan
Club Player

How would GT have gone if he didn't have multiple A grade players and a few once in a generation players in the team.

I'd like to state an opnion if I may: GTs job was made somewhat easier due to the star power on his list.

I'd like to make 2 opinions in a row if I may: he probably would have won the 2005 flag if it weren't for injures.

So he had a little bit of luck and he was also unlucky all in the one coaching tenure and I think you'll find that's 3 opinions.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
takeaway
Club Player

HighettMan wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 8:19am How would GT have gone if he didn't have multiple A grade players and a few once in a generation players in the team.

I'd like to state an opnion if I may: GTs job was made somewhat easier due to the star power on his list.

I'd like to make 2 opinions in a row if I may: he probably would have won the 2005 flag if it weren't for injures.

So he had a little bit of luck and he was also unlucky all in the one coaching tenure and I think you'll find that's 3 opinions.
I agree. GT was/is a passionate Saint, a reasonably good player and a reasonably good coach. Did a lot of good things for the club, others more questionable.
He did, however have a very very good playing list, but no GFs, let alone a flag.

I don't want to change the topic too much, and will get howled down, but it has always bothered me - what would Blight have done with that list, especially as the youngsters matured, and the good senior players were still playing very well. Yes, he was eccentric, left field, was not at many club functions, commitment was questioned (I think incorrectly), seriously challenged the culture and running of the club/players, no doubt putting noses out of joint. He had come from 2 successful clubs/admins, plenty of GFs and had learnt to win them.

I have always thought he should have been given longer than a mere 15 matches to do his thing, the club accept his ways, as long as he was there to COACH.
If he had stuck around for his normal 4-5 years, I cannot help thinking the old 66 mug would have one or more companions. Going down to my bunker now.

HighettMan
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 9:29am
HighettMan wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 8:19am How would GT have gone if he didn't have multiple A grade players and a few once in a generation players in the team.

I agree. GT was/is a passionate Saint, a reasonably good player and a reasonably good coach. Did a lot of good things for the club, others more questionable.
He did, however have a very very good playing list, but no GFs, let alone a flag.

I don't want to change the topic too much, and will get howled down, but it has always bothered me - what would Blight have done with that list, especially as the youngsters matured, and the good senior players were still playing very well. Yes, he was eccentric, left field, was not at many club functions, commitment was questioned (I think incorrectly), seriously challenged the culture and running of the club/players, no doubt putting noses out of joint. He had come from 2 successful clubs/admins, plenty of GFs and had learnt to win them.

I have always thought he should have been given longer than a mere 15 matches to do his thing, the club accept his ways, as long as he was there to COACH.
If he had stuck around for his normal 4-5 years, I cannot help thinking the old 66 mug would have one or more companions. Going down to my bunker now.
Blight may have been a contributing factor in snaging a flag out of the list that GT and RL had at thier disposal. But like all flags in the modern era, they are won by having the sum of all parts come together at the right time.

But you also need some luck along the way, and mostly with injuries.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

We all loved that era 2003-2006, and came to tolerate the GT. No doubt he had the players, especially the young crop of high draft picks and it was infectious enthusiasm that caught on, even if he had some unorthodox and at times cringeworthy euphemisms - some of which by the way are now mainstream. Other ideas, like rotating captains, in the dustbin.

I don’t think he would work well as auxiliary because I associate him with being almost a patriarch-like figure but I wonder, how he was under Blight. Helpful?

And then there is the mouth and this political climate we are in now. You almost have to exist and operate in a parallel universe where no words are spoken.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Yes, GT had some A-graders but he made them better by getting them to pull together. If we could get the likes of Gresham, Billings, Battle and Steele (amongst others) to pull together the way that Lenny, Dal Santo, Nick and Goddard did (say), then they would also look like out and out A-graders too. IMHO they all have the potential.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

You can't do much development work or coaching even, from a golf course.

spert
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2019 7:12pm
Rubyjo wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2019 8:01pm Would love him back for another crack.. Sure he is a twitter troll.. But I think the fire burns deep within him for redemption... Vs richo
His lack of tactical nous and know how lost us two prelims. He was a very effective one trick pony who didn't have a plan b.
Unlike Lyon or Richo?

takeaway
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 2:25pm

That's planning time. OK with me.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 5:52pm
saynta wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 2:25pm

That's planning time. OK with me.
GT had the best Saints list I have ever seen at his disposal in 2004 & 2005.
Regardless of some on here perpetuating the myth he reached preliminary finals with a bunch of 18/19 YO kids.

GT was like Blight in the late 80's & early 90's at Geelong.
Had them playing a fast and furious keep it alive brand of exciting attacking football which was great to watch and brilliant in the H&A series but does not win finals.

The list was markedly depleted by the time Lyon took them over.

GT was great at bonding the players as a team and produced the most exciting era of H&A footy I've seen as a Saints supporter, but to my opinion to not win one in 04 0r 05 with that side at his disposal was an abysmal failure.

Guerra, Gehrig, Kossi, Dal Santo, Milne, Riewoldt, Montangna, Ball, Harvey, Hayes, Jones A, Powell, Hamil, Thompson, Penny, Goddard, Peckett, Baker, Voss, Black, Maguire, Clarke X, Blake etc

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Injuries before and during the game killed us in that prelim final agadinst the swans coupled wih flogs like Guerra not trying.

If Grant was not hog tied and then fired by a coke headed tosser of a president, I'm certain that eventually, he would have won us a flag or two. .

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 6:16pm Injuries before and during the game killed us in that prelim final agadinst the swans coupled wih flogs like Guerra not trying.

If Grant was not hog tied and then fired by a coke headed tosser of a president, I'm certain that eventually, he would have won us a flag or two. .
There are always reasons and excuses.

You have been following the saints a long time, have you ever seen a better list that that in 04 - 05?

Gehrig, Hayes & Hammil at their peak, Reiwoldt & Ball already AA, Montanga, Milne, Maguire & Dal Santo building into very good players, Harvey still playing great footy, experienced campaigners in Thompson, Peckett, Jones, toughness in Powell & hard hitting Guerra, Maxy at his peak playing on talls & smalls, Penny, Voss, Black good footballers in their prime, a young Goddard & Kossie at his peak.

Only thing they lacked was a class ruckman.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.