I may be imagining it

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: I may be imagining it

vacuous space wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 1:05am
St Lenny wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2019 11:43pmWhy, what has [Lethlean] done wrong?
Lethers oversaw the review that came to the conclusion we shouldn't sack Richo at the end of last year. He then hired a crony with no AFL experience as our list manager. He led the charge on bringing in a broken down old Dan Hannebery. He supposedly overruled our newly appointed national recruiting manager on our first round pick. We tried to trade what is currently pick four (and may end up as high as pick two) for Jye Caldwell, who had barely played for two years because of injuries. We picked a player with a chronic back problem with our second pick. The rest of our draft was overagers.

Now it looks like Lethers is trying to replace our current underwhelming coach with a mate who has overseen a decade of disappointment at Arden Street. For some reason we're trying to replace Marshall, one of the only positives in this ongoing nightmare, with another ageing player likely past his prime and/or an injured zero gamer. We also go into this years draft with no second or third round picks. As of right now, we have pick four followed by pick 55. This is on a team that infamously lacks top end talent. We're supposedly throwing out massive contracts at big names with no takers.

We seem to be behaving as though we believe we're a club that's not that far off finals, when all evidence points to the contrary. I'd be completely in favour of tearing things down and starting again. We never properly rebuilt after the Lyon era team came crashing back to earth. That means more lean years, but I don't think that's avoidable. If we go the Brad Scott/Todd Goldstein route, we may be able to scratch together some 8-10 win seasons before crashing again and needing a rebuild. Might as well do it now. I've seen nothing from Simon to suggest he's so inclined. Personally, I think he's trying to quick-fix the club so he can get poached into the role he really wants.
Well said
I do recall being shouted down by many on here in the “torn” thread for daring to suggest we were at risk of staying in no mans land under the Richo years and that our best bet might actually to have meant bottoming out and recruiting properly
We have now stayed in the wilderness for almost a decade. We are about to be taken down another mediocre path if Scott is appointed that I fear could simply spell the end of the club - the guy simply deliver sweet FA for 10 years at North....he hasn’t even proven himself a top line coach ....why he would even be discussed for the job is a joke. I’d rather go an untried path than this guy seriously.

Why are we in this predicament? Because we have no TRUE St Kilda people guiding our football program and our TRUE St Kilda administrators lack balls.

“Yeah….nah””
saintbob
SS Life Member

MC Gusto wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2019 11:03pm But I reckon that’s it

Footage in the box looked emotional.

He’s done
🤞🤞🤞

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 1:18am

Why are we in this predicament? Because we have no TRUE St Kilda people guiding our football program and our TRUE St Kilda administrators lack balls.
This.

Absolutely this.

Probably the underlying reason I think we need to get Rob Harvey in.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
shrodes
SS Life Member

Watching the coaches message too he seemed downtrodden. I would guess based on body language he'll be gone this week

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Lethers oversaw the review that came to the conclusion we shouldn't sack Richo at the end of last year. He then hired a crony with no AFL experience as our list manager. He led the charge on bringing in a broken down old Dan Hannebery. He supposedly overruled our newly appointed national recruiting manager on our first round pick. We tried to trade what is currently pick four (and may end up as high as pick two) for Jye Caldwell, who had barely played for two years because of injuries. We picked a player with a chronic back problem with our second pick. The rest of our draft was overagers.

Now it looks like Lethers is trying to replace our current underwhelming coach with a mate who has overseen a decade of disappointment at Arden Street. For some reason we're trying to replace Marshall, one of the only positives in this ongoing nightmare, with another ageing player likely past his prime and/or an injured zero gamer. We also go into this years draft with no second or third round picks. As of right now, we have pick four followed by pick 55. This is on a team that infamously lacks top end talent. We're supposedly throwing out massive contracts at big names with no takers.

We seem to be behaving as though we believe we're a club that's not that far off finals, when all evidence points to the contrary. I'd be completely in favour of tearing things down and starting again. We never properly rebuilt after the Lyon era team came crashing back to earth. That means more lean years, but I don't think that's avoidable. If we go the Brad Scott/Todd Goldstein route, we may be able to scratch together some 8-10 win seasons before crashing again and needing a rebuild. Might as well do it now. I've seen nothing from Simon to suggest he's so inclined. Personally, I think he's trying to quick-fix the club so he can get poached into the role he really wants.
Is any of that fact though?

A lot of opinion and mistruths, but can't see many facts.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

:(
I hope you’re wrong.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

bigred wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 1:30am

This.

Absolutely this.

I don't agree about the 'St Kilda person' thing.

I reckon that stuff died decades ago in the AFL.

Having said that, Finnis is a Saints supporter and the board is full of lifelong Saints members and players.

From a coaching perspective, Hamill capatained the club and Sexton has lived at the joint for about 15 years now - so I reckon we're covered in the 'Saints people' thing.

silverhalo
Club Player

SemperFidelis wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2019 11:11pm I thought he looked defeated the whole game. Was not his usual in box demeanor.
He's obviously uncomfortable with Lethlean being in there - not a happy vibe

oldie60
Club Player

It will never be a people club thing because its run as a business. If it was that simple every club would be hiring all their ex players into the administrative roles. The cattle on the park is what counts and we just don't have it.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 11:05am
SemperFidelis wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2019 11:11pm I thought he looked defeated the whole game. Was not his usual in box demeanor.
He's obviously uncomfortable with Lethlean being in there - not a happy vibe
Most Football Managers sit in the coach's box.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The first part of that is bollocks. The truth - whilst not convenient - is that Lethlean had a review that concluded we couldn’t sack Richo because his CEO and Board had needlessly extended him and the payout couldn’t be considered when we are $12M in debt.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 10:59am

This.

Absolutely this.

Having said that, Finnis is a Saints supporter and the board is full of lifelong Saints members and players.

From a coaching perspective, Hamill capatained the club and Sexton has lived at the joint for about 15 years now - so I reckon we're covered in the 'Saints people' thing.
Wrong - Finnis is a Bulldogs man and has been since he was a child. His kids also support the Dogs. Fact.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 11:49am

This.

Absolutely this.

Wrong - Finnis is a Bulldogs man and has been since he was a child. His kids also support the Dogs. Fact.
He used to wear a Saints scarf and talk about being a Saints supporter down at Black Rock before he was even the head of the AFLPA.

Must be leading a double life!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

This.

Absolutely this.

I used to think like that Barry, thought “how simplistic” and to a point it absolutely is and of course....there are a myriad of other clubs without THEIR people running the show and doing well.....but.....I’ve now watched a succession of non saints people come in of recent times....Archie, the gun lawyer turned recruitment genius now at Dogs whose name escapes, Pelchen....it goes on and time after time shyte decisions being made.

So what’s different now? And yep we’ve had non saint people make good decision BUT right now reminds me of the bad old Tim Watson/Blight days where we were just rudderless without true leadership and it took genuine Saints leaders (one with loads of cash) to step in and change that. Now, I dislike Grant Thomas more than most. I think he was an average coach who had 1 trick “emotion”, tactically he was bereft. But I also think (for a brief period) he was the right person with Butters to step in, grab our football strategy by the neck, be a bit ruthless and demand respect (ideally GT steps down a year later but of course that’s like asking Attila The Hun to call it quits on his expansion plans....rest is history).

We need right now a visible President , to come out and demand change. Setting yourself up as a destination club starts with a clear identity/brand from the top.....ours is weak at the moment. We are back to “good ole Saints everyone’s second fav team cause they ain’t no threat” ...f@rk that.

I don’t know if Harvey is the answer as coach...but I do think we need people of his St Kilda caliber involved somehow in our footy dept (sadly Riewoldt is too busy but his nous and ability to speak up would be ideal). Hayes has mongrel......I think he’ll in time be a good coach..

What I do know is if we keep allowing peopl, like Lethlean, to run the joint with poor decisions we will be shifted interstate .....while Simons probably welcomed back to AFL HQ at a BBQ at Gills place having paid the price for his previous lack of trouser management..end of the day he’ll say “I did all I could but the joints a rabble”; walk away without a care cause deep down he doesn’t give a stuff about this club or its history.

“Yeah….nah””
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 12:00pm
Saintmatt wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 11:49am

This.

Absolutely this.

He used to wear a Saints scarf and talk about being a Saints supporter down at Black Rock before he was even the head of the AFLPA.

Must be leading a double life!
Most football ppl gets connected to the club they work at. But Finnis definitely grew up supporting the Dogs and his kids still do

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teffers, oh for a return to those days when GT and Buttress were running the show. The sky was the limit and the club had ambition and swagger.

As I see it, the club is virtually in receivership and run by career AFL apparatchiks.

We can’t move the debt while we are s*** because people won’t pay to watch an uncompetitive rabble. So it’s potentially a bottomless pit we’ve dug ourselves into.

It would be great if some heart and soul people would volunteer to resurrect this club, but I don’t see many putting their hands up.

Maybe if you and GT could somehow patch up your differences. :wink:

seano1
Club Player

HardSaint wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2019 11:48pm he's been done for months
but he aint going anywhere till the end of the season

to demand that he does sooner is to cost the club a lot of dough
sucks, but that's the way it is

whoever consented to this arrangement should be shown the door as well
I reckon whoever comes in to The job would demand the same contract and clauses and that would go for most coaches roles in other clubs might depend on how cashed up they are when they decide to cut their losses.
Still think he’s a victim of piss poor recruiting from the previous d**khead in charge of that department and some of what we have wont blossom for another couple of years

seano1
Club Player

Do other clubs team managers sit in the box ? What do they gain from it ? Particularly when they’ve never played at the top

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Richo should have been dismissed after 2017. Although, I have sunk the boots into him plenty of times over the past couple of years, I kind of feel sorry for him now. He's a good person and his intentions were always right place for the club and in getting this team to the top, but he simply hasn't delivered. Should he be sacked soon, rather than bag him out and say "good riddance", I would prefer to wish him well for the future. We still have to find the right person for the job after him, which in all honesty, looks like a pretty tall order.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 9:39amIs any of that fact though? A lot of opinion and mistruths, but can't see many facts.
If there are mistruths in that post, then it shouldn't be that hard to refute them, rather than just handwaving them away.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Short Term Thinking vs Long Term Thinking.

Transients will often primarily be worried about the first.

Footy Boards.

Good ones are important. Great ones even moreso.

However it is often the case that too many get on them for the prestige of which being there. They have achieved their goal in just getting on the board. I have been involved with numerous voluntary boards. Often many of their members have been dragging the chain. If one is fortunate there are several key members that drive things forward. If not the CEO often largely often do what they please. Indeed some of the more cunning CEO's do their best to get pliable boardmembers on.

Boardmembers with true drive and passion to make a real difference are rare. This time next year we will have a fair idea which category Bassat is in. By now Bassat has had his feet under the desk long enough to have formulated an action plan on how to proceed. The next 12 months will reveal his mettle in a St Kilda sense.

We need an agent of change. Bassat is well positioned to be that person, but will he?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2019 11:14pm Hope Lethlean goes with him.
yep

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Lethlean and Finnis are a part of the AFL plan to get the Saints relocated to Tasmania. The most crucial element in getting a club relocated/merged is to have its supporter base totally demoralised and defeated... this crew are well on track.... In addition, with Roo on board the "tassie AFL side" panel the plot is thickening... appointing Scott is another cog in that particular wheel.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I hope we don't give too big a contract to the new coach. Imagine 5 years of BraSco.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
minneapolis
Club Player

seano1 wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 2:21pm Do other clubs team managers sit in the box ? What do they gain from it ? Particularly when they’ve never played at the top
Who trained the Astronauts...and they were successful.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.