Is it time to say farewell

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

supersaints2
Club Player

Re: Is it time to say farewell

B.M wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 10:29am The hand bagger call came from the late 80s-mid 90s when they we’re actually a good team.

It was a reference to them carrying handbags because they were soft and couldn’t handle the big occasions.
Under Blight they basically played an all out attack game, and didn’t defend, which was brilliant against weaker teams, but didn’t stand up against the best in finals. Hence, them been labelled front runners.
BM you are wrong
Read my post above .....

I was married to a Girl from Geelong football family, When I first dated her in the 70,s they were known as the handbaggers then and certainly called that by me jokingly at family functions
other football supporters I hung around with called them handbaggers

My ex father in law was at the GFC for years so he may know more than you?

My girlfriend (who became my wife) cousin played about 100 games for Geelong, and I had to put up with him and other Geelong players being in the bridal party at my wedding! (In 1978) I had to invite half the side as wedding guests.

The players actually gave me a handbag with my name on it as a joke for a wedding present (because I always got stuck into them)

In the best researched book on AFL (time and space), three is a whole chapter about it (chapter 2) called "the running game" on how they created what was called bruise free football in the late 1880,s
They were a very successful side .. your just about 100 years out

But then again you know everything don't you?

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
supersaints2
Club Player

Actually correction just checked the book chapter two ( about Geelong is called space invaders)

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
supersaints2
Club Player

I'll just add to my rant a few things from the book

Geelong recruited most of its players from the elite and local grammar schools, as students they were athletic but not big bodied

The Advertiser in an 1874 trial game reported that the players were "hardly an opposing sight" and were very equal in size and that "until they get some heavyweight players they would be crushed my Melbourne and Carlton"(who played a brutal style of football

While Geelong had one or two big bodied players, football was becoming increasingly violent the coach (Wills ) knew his players would be thrown around like rag dolls by the older and brawnier men in the traditional man on man style
Wills instructed them pass the ball amongst themselves making the most of their speed and skill the Geelong players were encouraged to run to space rather than towards opponents , he called it scientific football

asiu
Saintsational Legend

The players actually gave me a handbag with my name on it as a joke for a wedding present (because I always got stuck into them)
classic

hahaha
... with ya name on it
:D

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
supersaints2
Club Player

Yeah .. I have them heaps ..so I probably deserved it.. I had a panel van and when we left the reception in it for our honeymoon.. they're sprayed it in water color in blue and white and had go cats written all over it.. and filled it with blue and white balllons
Spend half my honeymoon morning cleaning the car

supersaints2
Club Player

Balloons... that is

asiu
Saintsational Legend

supersaints2 wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2019 11:40am Yeah .. I have them heaps ..so I probably deserved it.. I had a panel van and when we left the reception in it for our honeymoon.. they're sprayed it in water color in blue and white and had go cats written all over it.. and filled it with blue and white balllons
Spend half my honeymoon morning cleaning the car
:lol:

that was nice of em

hehe

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.