HS article: St Kilda set to pull off five big trades to transform its team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: HS article: St Kilda set to pull off five big trades to transform its team

The Fireman wrote: Sun 13 Oct 2019 4:36pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 13 Oct 2019 2:04pm
saintsRrising wrote: Sun 13 Oct 2019 12:34pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 13 Oct 2019 11:12am The club has really been steadily growing and improving since Peter Summers took over and the final pieces are coming together now.
I will give Summers getting us back to Moorabbin, but apart from that the stamp of his Presidency was treading water. Progress was glacial. Way too cautious and Richo was held onto way too long. Rubber stamping the Richo contract extension was a crucial mistake and the hallmark of his Presidency was not to rock the boat.

I think that Summers is a man of great integrity, but he made the huge mistake of backing the wrong people and in wanting to go slow. So loyal, but mistaken and we withered on the vine under his presidency.

He was though an improvement on Wasteaway who sent us backwards and who did enormous damage. So Summers was not handed a baton, but rather a ticking bomb.

I was I admit skeptical about Lethlean, but he does seem to be delivering the goods. The mistake our club made was not have him do a 100% review rather than having Richo exempted from it.

I suspect too that appointing Gubby last year just after the trade period looks to be bearing enormous fruit as I suspect that he has been crucial to progressing many of these players to choose us.

However we need to land Hill. Without Hill our acquisitions will as a group be quite vanilla. Though Howard does look to be an excellent prospect too.
Incremental improvement is what we have seen since Peter Summers took over, he steadied the ship and steered us into calmer waters and better trading ports. People can nit pick till the cows come home about really small matters such as whether Richo was kept on too long or not but the fact of the matter is if we win a flag with this current build the work of Peter Summers and Alan Richardson will be credited. Having said that I suspect Richo's papers were stamped not long after Simon Lethlean got his feet under the desk and we may never know for sure but I'd also say Ratts was given a sneaky wink and a handshake about being the successor to Richo in a very nice and stable succession plan. Peter Summer and Alan Richardson were good for our club and certainly left in a better state than when they arrived but it's human nature for people to fixate on the negatives in life. It's now for others to finish off their good work and from all accounts it seems like we have the people in place to do just that. It's all positive.

Agree we need to land Hill but I don't think we here in fan land are the only ones that understand that, this trading period is probably the most crucial activity this club will undertake in over 20 years and arguably the clubs history. Get it right and it could produce a flag, get it wrong and we will be rebuilding from the basement again. It's that simple.
So let me get this right.....if the club gets it right we will be cruising..if we get it wrong we won't be ? you sound very much like another poster on here.
that's how popular opinion works.

Harves Man
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 13 Oct 2019 11:12am The club has really been steadily growing and improving since Peter Summers took over and the final pieces are coming together now.
I will give Summers getting us back to Moorabbin, but apart from that the stamp of his Presidency was treading water. Progress was glacial. Way too cautious and Richo was held onto way too long. Rubber stamping the Richo contract extension was a crucial mistake and the hallmark of his Presidency was not to rock the boat.

I think that Summers is a man of great integrity, but he made the huge mistake of backing the wrong people and in wanting to go slow. So loyal, but mistaken and we withered on the vine under his presidency.

He was though an improvement on Wasteaway who sent us backwards and who did enormous damage. So Summers was not handed a baton, but rather a ticking bomb.

I was I admit skeptical about Lethlean, but he does seem to be delivering the goods. The mistake our club made was not have him do a 100% review rather than having Richo exempted from it.

I suspect too that appointing Gubby last year just after the trade period looks to be bearing enormous fruit as I suspect that he has been crucial to progressing many of these players to choose us.

However we need to land Hill. Without Hill our acquisitions will as a group be quite vanilla. Though Howard does look to be an excellent prospect too.
Incremental improvement is what we have seen since Peter Summers took over, he steadied the ship and steered us into calmer waters and better trading ports. People can nit pick till the cows come home about really small matters such as whether Richo was kept on too long or not but the fact of the matter is if we win a flag with this current build the work of Peter Summers and Alan Richardson will be credited. Having said that I suspect Richo's papers were stamped not long after Simon Lethlean got his feet under the desk and we may never know for sure but I'd also say Ratts was given a sneaky wink and a handshake about being the successor to Richo in a very nice and stable succession plan. Peter Summer and Alan Richardson were good for our club and certainly left in a better state than when they arrived but it's human nature for people to fixate on the negatives in life. It's now for others to finish off their good work and from all accounts it seems like we have the people in place to do just that. It's all positive.

Agree we need to land Hill but I don't think we here in fan land are the only ones that understand that, this trading period is probably the most crucial activity this club will undertake in over 20 years and arguably the clubs history. Get it right and it could produce a flag, get it wrong and we will be rebuilding from the basement again. It's that simple.
So let me get this right.....if the club gets it right we will be cruising..if we get it wrong we won't be ? you sound very much like another poster on here.
Yes, you are right, Firey, but SK is a LOT more articulate than Flammers.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Harves Man wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 12:34am

Yes, you are right, Firey, but SK is a LOT more articulate than Flammers.
If you assumed Josh Bruce stayed in the side and maybe even Paddy comes good we would be fully stocked in the forward line, as we know we are fully stocked in the backline and we now have a No. 1 ruck prospect with a backup for a year or two, so what do we need? Midfielders is what we need. Of the 5 trade targets only 2 are midfielders, is that enough to get the balance right within this current build? Possibly but maybe one or two midfielders still short. So this years and next years trade activities are viewed by some as really important if we are to continue our improvement and obtain a flag with this current build.