Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunstan

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 9:45am But would they have bothered if it wasn't a sort of freebee?
Of course not, they are going to have to pay some Premiership players a lot of money in the next few years. Dunstan helps balance out their cap whilst offering some depth.

Melbourne were the first to stop their ute in Linton Street on hard rubbish day.

If Dunstan was genuinely as good as some think then compensation would have been generated by the AFL. Dunstan will have to become more than the player he was at St Kilda if he wishes to be in their best 25, let alone best 22.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

No comp pick would mean the Dees have offered Dunstan a very average contract.

Also I keep reading that we "dumped" Luke but didn't we actually offer him a contract??

If so he wasn't dumped ..... so the media can get fkd

Pretty funny that he chose to leave the Saints as he wanted more game time yet he signs with the Dees were he is likely to get no gametime.

Onwards & upwards

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 2:45pm No comp pick would mean the Dees have offered Dunstan a very average contract.

Also I keep reading that we "dumped" Luke but didn't we actually offer him a contract??

If so he wasn't dumped ..... so the media can get fkd

Pretty funny that he chose to leave the Saints as he wanted more game time yet he signs with the Dees were he is likely to get no gametime.

Onwards & upwards
I don't think we did offer him a new contract. I believe he stated publcly that he wouldn't accept an offer from us if we made one.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 2:45pm No comp pick would mean the Dees have offered Dunstan a very average contract.
Yes below average.

If we get no compensation pick offered that will mean that Luke will be in terms of remuneration in their bottom 30% next year.

30% and above we would get compensation.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sanctorum
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 12:02pm I think, as Melbourne have stated, Luke is a terrific cultural fit for their club. After all, their top midfielders have developed a culture over the last couple of years of averaging at least one brownlow vote per game, and Luke fits right in with that culture.

Has been poorly managed by Ratts & co. I can understand they feel he will not fit into their future plans, but it seemed to be very public right from the start of the year, and later on it was reported he would not be offered a new contract. Why was that publicised ? All it does is diminish his trade/compensation value. Should have been selected when he deserved it, when others in the team should have been given a rest. I hope Bytel comes good, because at the moment he is a fair way behind Dunstan.

Anyway, Luke showed them in the second half of the season, and has now been picked up by the top team in the comp, no less. Will still be on the fringe, but hopefully will be given a fair go.

Good luck Luke, you have been a good, hard working Saint.
You're assuming that it was someone in the club that "publicised" the story that Dunstan would not be offered a new contract at some point during the year.

I doubt that this is so and believe it is more likely that it was someone in Dunstan's corner that leaked this to the press, and his bagging of the coach and club ("I wouldn't sign another deal with them even if I was offered one") after his exit interview suggests to me strongly that this was the case - sour grapes....

It also runs counter to the statement by the club when he was picked up by Melbourne yesterday wishing him well and thanking him for his service...

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1023740/ ... nk-dunstan

I too wish Dunstan luck and am disappointed that he failed to achieve his potential with the Saints, but responsibility for that rests squarely on his shoulders alone.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I wish Luke the best of luck playing for Casey next year

takeaway
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 3:57pm
takeaway wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 12:02pm I think, as Melbourne have stated, Luke is a terrific cultural fit for their club. After all, their top midfielders have developed a culture over the last couple of years of averaging at least one brownlow vote per game, and Luke fits right in with that culture.

Has been poorly managed by Ratts & co. I can understand they feel he will not fit into their future plans, but it seemed to be very public right from the start of the year, and later on it was reported he would not be offered a new contract. Why was that publicised ? All it does is diminish his trade/compensation value. Should have been selected when he deserved it, when others in the team should have been given a rest. I hope Bytel comes good, because at the moment he is a fair way behind Dunstan.

Anyway, Luke showed them in the second half of the season, and has now been picked up by the top team in the comp, no less. Will still be on the fringe, but hopefully will be given a fair go.

You're assuming that it was someone in the club that "publicised" the story that Dunstan would not be offered a new contract at some point during the year.

I doubt that this is so and believe it is more likely that it was someone in Dunstan's corner that leaked this to the press, and his bagging of the coach and club ("I wouldn't sign another deal with them even if I was offered one") after his exit interview suggests to me strongly that this was the case - sour grapes....

It also runs counter to the statement by the club when he was picked up by Melbourne yesterday wishing him well and thanking him for his service...

I too wish Dunstan luck and am disappointed that he failed to achieve his potential with the Saints, but responsibility for that rests squarely on his shoulders alone.
Nope, don't agree. The statement by the Saints is run of the mill stuff and proves nothing. No advantage to Dunstan to leak any of the above, so I have no doubt it was from club sources.

Poor management by the club, could have handled it much better.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Bored with this thread - Dunstan WAS a Saint - and I thank him for that - now he is a DEMON for better or worse - move on!

Was never going to be part of our title defence

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 4:18pm
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 3:57pm

Nope, don't agree. The statement by the Saints is run of the mill stuff and proves nothing. No advantage to Dunstan to leak any of the above, so I have no doubt it was from club sources.

Poor management by the club, could have handled it much better.
Great management by the club for not keeping him on

Onwards & upwards

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Luke Who ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
ace
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 3:51pm
Yes below average.

If we get no compensation pick offered that will mean that Luke will be in terms of remuneration in their bottom 30% next year.

That's not an average contract.
That's way below average.

Could it be that he thought he deserved more game time at StKilda, reinforced by 11 Brownlow votes.
Told St Kilda to go ...., thinking 17 other clubs would be impressed with his Brownlow votes.
Then bridges burnt he finds the other clubs mostly ignored him.
He was only offered table scraps.
Then to justify eating scraps to himself, the media and football fans he said I would never eat from St Kilda's table no matter what was on the menu.

Personally I hope not.
That the AFL is struggling with their compensation assessment because of the discrepancy between Melbourne's contract and his Brownlow votes and past B&F performances.
I have not seen any announcement saying no compensation.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 3:51pm
Yes below average.

Bottom 30% is not a way to say we see you have future, it is a way to say that you will probably be delisted in the next two years or when your contract expires.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Who is going to replace him as a part time coach for our women’s team?

https://www.saints.com.au/news/872342/d ... er-article

ace
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 08 Oct 2021 4:49am Who is going to replace him as a part time coach for our women’s team?

https://www.saints.com.au/news/872342/d ... er-article
Maybe Dunny and the Junkyard Dog could apply to play in the AFLW.
Dunny would certainly get a bigger contract.
And the Junkyard Dog would dominate.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan claims Ratten did not rate him.
Apparently no free agency (yet to be confirmed) places him in the bottom 30%.
That's not in the best 22, it is not even in the best 30.
Seems his new club does not rate him either.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

So is it official there is no compensation?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes

No compensation

Would’ve been nice, even a 4th rounder for points

longtimesaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 08 Oct 2021 2:21pm Yes

No compensation

Would’ve been nice, even a 4th rounder for points
I think the lowest comp pick is third round

One year will be our year
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Wasn’t exactly marketed to advantage!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we're intent on picking up a free agent ourselves which would make whatever compo pick was given moot?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Fri 08 Oct 2021 12:26pm So is it official there is no compensation?
There’s been nothing official.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"