What’s the latest on Jack Steven?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: What’s the latest on Jack Steven?

3 years age difference

Nee!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Our secret weapon to destroy the Cats?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 3:05pm I can't believe some on here that just take media comment as gospel. I believe the following comment made on BF by a respected moderator, is much closer to the actual situation. Comment includes Bruce situation as well. I will be glad when the fantasy trade period ends and the real stuff begins next week.

"I feel obliged to wash away all this rubbish speculation. I wish people wouldn't believe everything that comes out of the media.

Bruce is happy with either outcome. Happy with staying at the Saints but received an offer from the Dogs and will be happy to go if we get well compensated and a deal can be reached.

Stuv been at club for 11 years we have supported him through everything absolutely no way a person of his standing will leave us high and dry. Wants to go back home with family but has never once mentioned he will retire if deal cannot be reached. Absolute tripe.

Billings going nowhere. Same with Gresham. Wish we would stop discussing it. Both love club and are contracted. End of story.

Acres on the table but still a chance he stays, depends what we do to get Hill across.

If you want credible information look at what the club put out or speak to the ITK's on here. This place has gone absolutely nuts over the past few days."
Sounds pretty much like most sensible posters here...sadly there's not many left after Saintastional's horror season. I'm hoping we can do a semi-rebuild.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Tony 47 more or less said Bruce had out stayed his welcome.. Not popular with the group.. But he is happy to stay.

Waiting

Amazing. Steven was 8th in the Brownlow just one year ago (2018). So, just one back - he was a top 10 AFL player.
How can he be traded for anything less than a first round selection, just one year later?
When fit again (acknowledging issues in 2019), he is a STAR.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 9:52pm
takeaway wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 3:05pm I can't believe some on here that just take media comment as gospel. I believe the following comment made on BF by a respected moderator, is much closer to the actual situation. Comment includes Bruce situation as well. I will be glad when the fantasy trade period ends and the real stuff begins next week.

"I feel obliged to wash away all this rubbish speculation. I wish people wouldn't believe everything that comes out of the media.

Bruce is happy with either outcome. Happy with staying at the Saints but received an offer from the Dogs and will be happy to go if we get well compensated and a deal can be reached.

Stuv been at club for 11 years we have supported him through everything absolutely no way a person of his standing will leave us high and dry. Wants to go back home with family but has never once mentioned he will retire if deal cannot be reached. Absolute tripe.

Billings going nowhere. Same with Gresham. Wish we would stop discussing it. Both love club and are contracted. End of story.

Acres on the table but still a chance he stays, depends what we do to get Hill across.

If you want credible information look at what the club put out or speak to the ITK's on here. This place has gone absolutely nuts over the past few days."
Sounds pretty much like most sensible posters here...sadly there's not many left after Saintastional's horror season. I'm hoping we can do a semi-rebuild.

I think that is a sensible post except for the line about looking at what the club puts out.

All clubs put out information and narrate the story to suit their best interests. Happens on all fronts from injury, trades and controversies (which they wouldn’t report on at all if not for the media).

The best is a combination of all three.

barneyboyz
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 6:38pm Kelly is a massive potential loss for Geelong and Steven could perhaps make up for, what,.40% percent of this loss? And that’s in the first season. Don’t blame him if he is just motivated enough by the South coast/Geelong fairytale to get him over the line motivation wise. It would be a real bummer to be stuck at Moorabbin after all this. Echoes of his first few years to contrast with the present being back at Moorabbin. Not the most exciting prospect. Grateful to the Saints and for his career, he probably just says to him self, que Sara Sara, meh...etc., if stuck with us now. Can’t be f d doing much I imagine. Of course, that doesn’t exclude a complete sea change, and who knows, perhaps a few switches in his mind flick the whole thing around. I doubt it.
That's ok if you're only on $40-$80,000 pa (like most people), but when receiving upwards of $800,000 sheets it starts getting ridiculous.

I have to trust that the club is doing the right thing here, I really do, but if this turns out to be just another 'bend over' just to be all politically correct and all,

Spare me, I just want me club to play football

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 8:50am
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 6:38pm Kelly is a massive potential loss for Geelong and Steven could perhaps make up for, what,.40% percent of this loss? And that’s in the first season. Don’t blame him if he is just motivated enough by the South coast/Geelong fairytale to get him over the line motivation wise. It would be a real bummer to be stuck at Moorabbin after all this. Echoes of his first few years to contrast with the present being back at Moorabbin. Not the most exciting prospect. Grateful to the Saints and for his career, he probably just says to him self, que Sara Sara, meh...etc., if stuck with us now. Can’t be f d doing much I imagine. Of course, that doesn’t exclude a complete sea change, and who knows, perhaps a few switches in his mind flick the whole thing around. I doubt it.
That's ok if you're only on $40-$80,000 pa (like most people), but when receiving upwards of $800,000 sheets it starts getting ridiculous.

I have to trust that the club is doing the right thing here, I really do, but if this turns out to be just another 'bend over' just to be all politically correct and all,

Is this another case of someone envying the money someone else earns and because it’s so much more they don’t deserve a change or a trade?

Interesting.

Posts like this make me think a lot of Saints supporters disappeared in 2019 and missed the fact Steven missed the majority of the season. I’m sure he’s not paid on match payments as well.

groupie1
Club Player

QUESTION: Can St Kilda agree to tear up the last year of his contract and accept a priority pick for losing him?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
barneyboyz
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 9:28am
barneyboyz wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 8:50am

Is this another case of someone envying the money someone else earns and because it’s so much more they don’t deserve a change or a trade?

Interesting.

Posts like this make me think a lot of Saints supporters disappeared in 2019 and missed the fact Steven missed the majority of the season. I’m sure he’s not paid on match payments as well.
I don't envy anyone else's pay and that wasn't the point.

If you are on upwards of $800,000pa you really shouldn't be saying "I just can't be arsed". Is he saying that? dunno, but that's why I have to trust the club

Everything else is just speculation and or opinion for forums

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The latest is Geelong is likely to get Jack for jack .... because we're jackasses.
Last edited by samoht on Fri 04 Oct 2019 2:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

CATS COULD LAND THE ‘STEAL’ OF THE TRADE PERIOD

Geelong could snare the biggest bargain of the AFL trade period, according to Melbourne great Garry Lyon, if it can land Saint Jack Steven.

Despite being contracted to the Saints, Steven is set to look for a fresh start at Geelong after a tough 2019 dealing with mental health issues.

Cats list boss Stephen Wells indicated this week the deal might take a while to strike, telling Sportsday: “We have met St Kilda a couple of times, but not anywhere near to the point where we are likely to do a deal soon.”

But if Geelong is able to secure a trade, Lyon said he could benefit the Cats immediately.

“He could be the steal,” Lyon told AFL Trade Radio.

TRADE WHISPERS: Blockbuster Fantasia move hits a snag, new suitor for outgoing Swan

“The thing with Steven is that he’s still got his pace and that’s the difference … he

could be the best valued pick or valued trades.”

Saints great Nick Dal Santo added: “What I’ve said about Jack going to Geelong and now Tim Kelly to leave. If Tim is a 9/10 in the midfield … Jack Steven will be a 7.5/10. If he’s their second or third-best midfielder … he can have an impact.”

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I listened to Wells, he's clever, not committing to anything and painting St Kilda as a "good club" who will look after him. Why should Wells commit? No need when he can try to box St Kilda in by choosing to look after Jack's health or get the best deal, i.e. his value.

Worst case, Steven is a Saint for one more year & hopefully has a great season, shows durability and renewed commitment, that drives up his price and length of contract. Then the AFL can assign the proper compensation.

Saint 58
Club Player

I had a look on the Cats site

One poster was good saying that we wanted fair value for a good player that they want
The rest of them, FMD what a bunch of arrogant dickheads
I had to check to make sure I wasn't on the Blues site !!

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
SMS
Club Player

good. We may have a pair of balls aftwr all. mental illness ... OMG give me strength. Worst excuse ever. Steven should visit a psyche ward and see REAL mental illness. homesick/depressed about a girl is NOT f****** MENTAL ILLNESS. We give in to this we are dumb c***s.

GO SAINTS GIVE THOSE ARROGANT WANKERS NOTHING!!

FIRST ROUND OR f*** OFF

<1 day ban for inflammatory comments that casts aspersions on a Saints player>

Rule states:

In cases where posters abuse or demean a Saints player / official / or their family, OR casts aspersions on their character and it is deemed by the moderators to be offensive and inflammatory, then the moderators will issue a 1 DAY or 1 WEEK BAN depending on severity.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Everyone should just read Vaselos’ post and read between the lines.

The club has made many mistakes but it can't be bagged on this. It's absolutely doing the right thing given the circumstances.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
kalsaint
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 1:41pm My mate says Jack bought a house in Lorne. Which I think is odd. My mate works for a real estate group and his mate told him he sold a house to Jack last weekend. Lots of second hand info, so don't know.
If what you say is true I think Geelong management will only toughen their stance in trade value for Jack.

Whether Jack gets the Geelong gig or not (and staying at the Saints), I doubt Jack feels he needs footy as much as family. With that hes a high risk for both clubs as he could vacate either club at any time.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 9:56pm Tony 47 more or less said Bruce had out stayed his welcome.. Not popular with the group.. But he is happy to stay.
It's 74 unless you're referring to his old man.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
kalsaint
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 7:24pm 52, Constable, a big $ savinh and move on. He has played his best football and gave all he had. He will cop a big pay cut and get what he wants. Great deal of it happens. I wish him well.
I love looking at the commentary in media and various forums at this time of year but I really don't have any idea on Jacks condition and expectation.

I will say this issue for Jack is important to Jack and the measure for any change in the 2 clubs involved is purely risk based.

If Jack says he 100% goes to Geelong that limits Saints bargaining power as does the risk assessment by Geelong to take on Jack. If Jack leaves the dabate open then there's some financial and moral management that precedes any interclub table talk.

On the basis of low risk I would think the above quote recommendation is sensible or at least likely to something smilar but some of the contract financials may be shared by both clubs.

There can not be any sting to either clubs' position or Jack loses out. The fact that Jack is still in contract needs careful consideration.

To me Constable and pick 52 is gracious but the Club saves some money. Will Geelong's assessment of that be sufficient, that is one question. The second question is Constable is no longer up for trade according to more recent trade talk. This may be circumstantial though.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

kalsaint
Club Player

saintbob wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 12:44pm Steven is threatening to retire if he doesn’t get traded to the Cats, we should just let him f****** retire if he’s going to start playing those games!!!

f*** HIM
That sort of comment wont go down well at the Cattery. It increases the risk associated with the player and how that might look as destabilising at their club too.

Silly comment Jack. Even if its true don't spread the word, it doesn't favour your situation.

kalsaint
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 2:23pm I listened to Wells, he's clever, not committing to anything and painting St Kilda as a "good club" who will look after him. Why should Wells commit? No need when he can try to box St Kilda in by choosing to look after Jack's health or get the best deal, i.e. his value.

Worst case, Steven is a Saint for one more year & hopefully has a great season, shows durability and renewed commitment, that drives up his price and length of contract. Then the AFL can assign the proper compensation.
Could also mean Jack doesn't play much at all, his focus deteriorates and we all curse ourselves for mismanaging the situation.

Club Player

We owe him nothing.
If he retires so be it. He can go push trolleys at the Lorne supermarket.
Cannot buckle to Geelongs demands.

stkfc1
Club Player

Sounds to me like either the Cats have cooled on him or the Saints have said "You can forget all this media crap about we'll take a late pick blah blah blah. You want him, pay up! " Im hoping the latter and the club is taking a stand for itself.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 9:21pm Sounds to me like either the Cats have cooled on him or the Saints have said "You can forget all this media crap about we'll take a late pick blah blah blah. You want him, pay up! " Im hoping the latter and the club is taking a stand for itself.
The media have taken the cynical view that Jack is on the scrap heap and totally devalued. It must be demoralizing for Steven.
Geelong have been depicted as the eager beneficiary but I'm not too sure this is the case.
Wells' latest statements appear to acknowledge his troubles and confirm their concerns with overpaying. They want a gift.
St.Kilda have made it clear what they want. Foremost they want what Jack wants and they are prepared to take a hit to see him get it.
If Jack is to recover, I'd hate to see him totally deflated to a fat, mentally unstable, third round pick in the Geelong ressies before he does it. If he sees that neccessary before he rebuilds himself, Im not sure the close proximity to family will be enough to help. If he continues to struggle it will be over for him in terms of football.
Regaini g his best form, in one year, on top money, at his original club would be a great story, a real triumph.
Hill, Steven, Hannerbery, Ross, Billings, Jones, Gresham and Steele is a formidable midfield.