HARLEY BENNELL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: HARLEY BENNELL

At least speak to him. That hurts no body even the guys on here who wouldn't have a clue.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:At least speak to him. That hurts no body even the guys on here who wouldn't have a clue.
Why speak to him if he is not featured in any of our future plans??

Its like going into McDonalds to look at Filthy Rons menu knowing you are going to 100% walk out and go to KFC to eat some dirty bird

Why waste your time when you have made up your mind .... which it seems we have

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:At least speak to him. That hurts no body even the guys on here who wouldn't have a clue.

Its like going into McDonalds to look menu knowing you are going to 100% walk out and go to KFC to eat

Because the person could surprise you. Havent you watched a show that you were convinced would be crap and it ended up ok. If you can explain how it hurts to speak to him I'm all ears. Pick 5 looks like it could be the equivilant of pick 9. Its like finishing 9th on the ladder except we finished 5th last.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Its like going into McDonalds to look menu knowing you are going to 100% walk out and go to KFC to eat

Because the person could surprise you. Havent you watched a show that you were convinced would be crap and it ended up ok. If you can explain how it hurts to speak to him I'm all ears. Pick 5 looks like it could be the equivilant of pick 9. Its like finishing 9th on the ladder except we finished 5th last.
Well Bennell has definitely surprised Gold Coast ...... thats why they are looking to trade him

Maybe we have someone else in mind for that pick ..... Kelly from GWS has been rumoured

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Yep, with plugger in this one.

He's a better player than Lovett, Garlett, Jurrah and whoever else was given a second chance and failed.

Get him to Melbourne and he can stay with Roo for awhile. Some other club will do it and he will star. He is that good.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Well Bennell has definitely surprised Gold Coast ...... thats why they are looking to trade him

Maybe we have someone else in mind for that pick ..... Kelly from GWS has been rumoured

Maybe we will just use the draft and take the 9th best player in it. Well the 9th at the moment. Hopefully he ends up the best like Bont looks to be from 2013.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Yep, with plugger in this one.

He's a better player than Lovett, Garlett, Jurrah and whoever else was given a second chance and failed.

Get him to Melbourne and he can stay with Roo for awhile. Some other club will do it and he will star. He is that good.
He might be a better player but whats to say Bennell wont go the same way as the 3 players you mentioned

Why are Gold Coast trading him if he is that good??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:

He might be a better player but whats to say Bennell wont go the same way as the 3 players you mentioned

We traded Hall, Everitt and Lockett because of trouble. How did they end up going?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:

I think it's Eades way of saying who's the boss here. Next year is the Sun's 6th season in the comp. the pressure to finally make the finals is building.

And I imagine Ablett would have been an influence indirectly, saying enough is enough

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Maybe we will just use the draft and take the 9th best player in it. Well the 9th at the moment. Hopefully he ends up the best like Bont looks to be from 2013.
Maybe we will ..... Maybe we wont

At this moment in time what seems to be evident that we are probably not in a great position to risk a top 10 draft pick on a player who has a past history of behavioural issues and that may or may not continue to offend

Absolutely there is no guarentee that if we go to the draft that we get a surefire gun but if we are truly serious about building a rock solid foundation from which to launch our next Premiership campaign from then it doesnt make an iota of sense in trading in problem players for high draft picks no matter how good they are

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

We traded Hall, Everitt and Lockett because of trouble. How did they end up going?
Hall was the only one that ever became a Premiership player and was lucky to be one as he should have been suspended for that game

I also dont think that any of those players were ever arrested during their time at the Saints or photographed snorting cocaine

Bennell is pretty much on his last chance - what do you think happens if he farks up again??

#gosaintas
Club Player

Didn't Lockett nearly knock a guy's head off in Tassie at a bar?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

I think it's Eades way of saying who's the boss here. Next year is the Sun's 6th season in the comp. the pressure to finally make the finals is building.

And I imagine Ablett would have been an influence indirectly, saying enough is enough
Next year is the Saints 120th year in the Competition, the pressure to win our 2nd Premiership is at tipping point

And I imagine our whole board and playing group are thinking we dont need a potential destabilizing influence to further waylay our plans

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

The biggest risk is not taking a risk at all..

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Didn't Lockett nearly knock a guy's head off in Tassie at a bar?
If he did he didnt get arrested 8-)

People need to realise that times have changed - social media and tabloid reporting has changed football and can directly affect club reputations and potential earnings

Seriosuly dont know how many more hits our great but underperforming club can take - we have been smashed from pillar to post in recent years and some supporters think it is great idea to now trade for a player with high risk behavioural problems who is likely to reoffend - given our recent issues does it make sense to put the clubs reputation in he gun and spin the barrel

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:The biggest risk is not taking a risk at all..
Not when the risk could further tarnish the clubs reputation and future earning potential which is fragile at best

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Next year is the Saints 120th year in the Competition, the pressure to win our 2nd Premiership is at tipping point

And I imagine our whole board and playing group are thinking we dont need a potential destabilizing influence to further waylay our plans
yep and Hawthorn will take him instead and win their 12th or 13th since we won our sole flag.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

yes but who cares what we pick we have its all up to recruiters right?
what pick we have is irrelevant yeah? isnt that your line?
as long as we keep winning what pick we have is not worth worrying about....except.....when the real games started...............we stopped winning....?
anyway, glad to see you finally come round.
if Bennell is a better option than anything we are likely to land at pick 5 including Parish then grab him but there is risk...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
stevie wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Next year is the Saints 120th year in the Competition, the pressure to win our 2nd Premiership is at tipping point

I hear what youre saying Devilhead and agree it could really blow up in our face but lets face facts.....the draft is again for whatever reason compromised, we are a small financially strapped club who needs to rise quicker than the Pies cause I totally agree 120 years and 1 flag is boiling point for fans.
Can we afford to take a risk versus can we afford not to?
IF it blows up weve lost a top 10 pick - BIG loss no doubt but even then its still 1 player?
IF it goes to plan and Bennell is better than anything in this years draft - we got pick no 1 at pick 5 (really 9 according to Pluggs)
I agree with your assertion that time does move on - at our club too. I think the players culture is better now than at any previous time in recent memory and I suspect Riewoldt, Joey etc have a bit to do with that....point is there probably isnt a better time to bring a Bennell in and indoctrinate him into our way of doing things (with a strict get out of jail contract i might add).

Still a risk for sure but given the state of our list and pending retirement of some greats to further add to our woes and complete dearth of A Grade talent I cant see how we can not take one.

“Yeah….nah””
stevie
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Didn't Lockett nearly knock a guy's head off in Tassie at a bar?
Yeah but he only got half the punishment for the same offence on the mainland :mrgreen:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Devilhead wrote: Next year is the Saints 120th year in the Competition, the pressure to win our 2nd Premiership is at tipping point

yep and Hawthorn will take him instead and win their 12th or 13th since we won our sole flag.
The Hawks have a thug and d**khead as captain. That's how they roll. Works for them but doesn't for us.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

It is a big no on Harley from the club apparently.

I really hope they have an alternate plan, as being meek and not bold will never help us in winning a flag.

You are garbage - Enough said
bob__71
Club Player

DFA or trade for our 4th rounder with GCS paying half his wage.

No way we can afford to use our first round pick on a person as likely to go off the rails as not.

I mean for god sake hes just been arrested when he knew he was on his last chance on the way out. Not that hes a bad person, but he is a person continually making bad choices at the moment.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

UNBELIEVABLE! How in God's name could anyone could even contemplate taking a punt on this guy, given the history we have had with such wayward characters. Smacks to me of desperation on the part of some posters. This is a time for CONSIDERED and REASONED recruitment, not a time for (perceived) "quick fixes" Andrew Lovett ring any bells? UNBELIEVABLE!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
#gosaintas
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:UNBELIEVABLE! How in God's name could anyone could even contemplate taking a punt on this guy, given the history we have had with such wayward characters. Smacks to me of desperation on the part of some posters. This is a time for CONSIDERED and REASONED recruitment, not a time for (perceived) "quick fixes" Andrew Lovett ring any bells? UNBELIEVABLE!
yeah