Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

Cannot see how we could hang onto pick four with this trade.

Future pick? Depends on next year's quality....

This contract would have to be hugely front ended you would think. That would allow room for big contracts upcoming in say 2020-2022 for the likes of Gresh etc.

We need this bloke IMO.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 3:54pm I will lose my mind if we trade away pick four. There is a real possibility of gold coast taking both King's. Both have the potential of being stars at different ends or a nightmare to defend if they both play forward. By keeping them together there is less of a go home factor

If that was to occur we are golden. That means Walsh or Lukosious, both of whom have been ranked #1 this year at different times. If Carlton keep pick one they will take Walsh and we get Roo clone Lukosious.

If they trade it to Adelaide for McGovern and their first round pick which may occur then Adelaide will pick Lukosious leaving us with Walsh.

Now imagine that happens and we gave Pick 4 to GWS, how stupid would you feel
We should be renamed St Upid - that would be fitting.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 3:54pmNow imagine that happens and we gave Pick 4 to GWS, how stupid would you feel
Like trading for Hickey in 2012 only to have Grundy available at that pick.

Shiel's a good player, but adding Chris Judd couldn't restore Carlton to relevance. A brief whimper and then back down the bottom after Judd retired. Meanwhile some of the stuff they traded just got premiership medals.

We're a 4-win team. We should not be giving up significant future assets for a guy in his mid-20s. It reeks of the kind of 'we're not far off it' delusional nonsense we were hearing before the season started. We're a long way off it. Trading a top-5 pick for Shiel and a future pick for Hannebery will help in our quest to get back to the middle of the ladder, keep Richo employed and get Lethlean that promotion he's gunning for.

I just can't see it leading us anywhere but right back where we are now.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
stkfc1
Club Player

samoht wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 4:53pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 3:54pm I will lose my mind if we trade away pick four. There is a real possibility of gold coast taking both King's. Both have the potential of being stars at different ends or a nightmare to defend if they both play forward. By keeping them together there is less of a go home factor

If that was to occur we are golden. That means Walsh or Lukosious, both of whom have been ranked #1 this year at different times. If Carlton keep pick one they will take Walsh and we get Roo clone Lukosious.

If they trade it to Adelaide for McGovern and their first round pick which may occur then Adelaide will pick Lukosious leaving us with Walsh.

We should be renamed St Upid - that would be fitting.
Hang on to your hats because Ive just been told that GC has indeed spoken to the King boys about exactly this. Its looking very likley this is the path they'll go down as May is just about out the door also. Although I believe Carlton will trade a future first round for McGovern. You never know though.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 5:12pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 3:54pmNow imagine that happens and we gave Pick 4 to GWS, how stupid would you feel
Like trading for Hickey in 2012 only to have Grundy available at that pick.

Shiel's a good player, but adding Chris Judd couldn't restore Carlton to relevance. A brief whimper and then back down the bottom after Judd retired. Meanwhile some of the stuff they traded just got premiership medals.

We're a 4-win team. We should not be giving up significant future assets for a guy in his mid-20s. It reeks of the kind of 'we're not far off it' delusional nonsense we were hearing before the season started. We're a long way off it. Trading a top-5 pick for Shiel and a future pick for Hannebery will help in our quest to get back to the middle of the ladder, keep Richo employed and get Lethlean that promotion he's gunning for.

I just can't see it leading us anywhere but right back where we are now.
People are talking up this #4 pick like it's a certainty he will be a star, whoever it is and we'd be just giving it away. In the top 10 draft picks, about half turn out to be any good. The rest play about 60-100 games and their careers whimper out. There are no guarantees with drafting kids! None!

I'm sick of us betting on this stuff. Which is what the draft is, a calculated bet. We already KNOW that Shiel can play and will give us 6 years of good service. Possibly great service. At this stage, I'd rather gamble on that. Coffield and Clarke look ok - nothing special though. Who knows how they'll develop? The raves on Clarke I find bewildering by our supporters. It's always more exciting to develop your own talent but we are simply incapable of doing that. Our development record has been poor to the say the least. Just get some good players into the club FFS before we succumb to complete irrelevance. No one else at the club deserves the money. Stuv is worth about $600k, Carlisle is getting about $700k. The rest like Billings etc who are on $400-500k are well and truly overpaid atm.

silverhalo
Club Player

Sorry guys if I'm just regurgitating what might have already been written on this thread (I don't have time to read through all 12 pages) but what a sad indictment on this club that someone is turning down allegedly one of the highest offers of all time to be with us and he looks like accepting $500,000 less per annum to play somewhere else.

FFS.......how did it come to this!!!!!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 5:53pm Sorry guys if I'm just regurgitating what might have already been written on this thread (I don't have time to read through all 12 pages) but what a sad indictment on this club that someone is turning down allegedly one of the highest offers of all time to be with us and he looks like accepting $500,000 less per annum to play somewhere else.

Richo.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Myron Gaines
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 5:53pm Sorry guys if I'm just regurgitating what might have already been written on this thread (I don't have time to read through all 12 pages) but what a sad indictment on this club that someone is turning down allegedly one of the highest offers of all time to be with us and he looks like accepting $500,000 less per annum to play somewhere else.

Kelly turned down significantly more to re-sign with the Giants last year.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

If we get Hannaz and Shielzy in the door, make an awesome choice with our first rounda, fluke a gem with another trade then 2018 will be viewed historically favourable.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Now on the AFL website that Hawthorn is his likely choice. Question remains as to how Hawthorn can get the deal done.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Hawthorn can't get Shiel and Wingard. Surely not possible for starters. So if we miss out on Shiel, we should target Wingard big time.

Is Shiel mad? He would take 500k a year less at a number of years...really? Just to play at a club that is going better and is better run "at the moment."

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 9:54pm Now on the AFL website that Hawthorn is his likely choice. Question remains as to how Hawthorn can get the deal done.
Swap us this years and next years first rounders for one of ours like they did to get JOM.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Moods wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 5:26pm
People are talking up this #4 pick like it's a certainty he will be a star, whoever it is and we'd be just giving it away. In the top 10 draft picks, about half turn out to be any good. The rest play about 60-100 games and their careers whimper out. There are no guarantees with drafting kids! None!

I'm sick of us betting on this stuff. Which is what the draft is, a calculated bet. We already KNOW that Shiel can play and will give us 6 years of good service. Possibly great service. At this stage, I'd rather gamble on that. Coffield and Clarke look ok - nothing special though. Who knows how they'll develop? The raves on Clarke I find bewildering by our supporters.

Have to disagree with you there. No one is saying pick #4 is guaranteed to be a gun but it more likely than not as they are showing more skills than their peers.
There is also no guarantees with Shiel either. . it is a lot easier playing in a great midfield rather than a crap one like ours. Plus what is the point of getting him now when we are years away from finals based on what I saw this year. He is in his prime and will want to play finals so I am thinking Hawks

I agree that Clarke was ok, not great and he was ranked 15th of the top 20 draftee from last year, Coffield didn't crack top 20. YEah they will probably play for years which is great but are very vanilla so no game breaking there.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Both Coff and Clark showed glimpses and it was only their first year. You need to give these guys time to gain experience, gain some muscle and get a few preseasons under their belt. Go back and look at Paddy Dangerfield stats in his first couple of years at AFL level. I wouldn't be surprised if Clark becomes A grade or if Coff turns into a star mid.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Really think we are overcooking the Shiel trade. Insane money for a Player who is not elite nor a youngster anymore.
Would prefer to use our pick 4.
Would like to see us trade a few out though....we seem committed to hanging on to just about everyone.
I think we could let Dunstan or Newnes go, and 1 of the ruckman and get back a couple of second rounders or trade for Scrimshaw.

Nee!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

About as stupid as I feel after the 2014 draft.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Worry not, we’re apparently a destination club. That’s what Finnis tells us anyway...

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 10:18pm Hawthorn can't get Shiel and Wingard. Surely not possible for starters. So if we miss out on Shiel, we should target Wingard big time.

Is Shiel mad? He would take 500k a year less at a number of years...really? Just to play at a club that is going better and is better run "at the moment."
So much for the “pot of money” argument.

It doesn’t really matter I guess. At least Lethlean is being “aggressive.”

lefty
Club Player

If we end up with another KPP I personally will be disappointed. For years we haven't gone for midfielders, we already took Paddy, made the choice now we work with what we've got. There will never been a Roo clone.

damienc
Club Player

I personally think it ‘s hugely embarrassing that we’ve thrown everything including the kitchen sink at Shiel but he’s not interested.

groupie1
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 12:43am That offer will be easily matched by Carlton and North (should Gaff fall through).

Hawthorn and Collingwood would also be able to get close enough, the difference gets made up by th fact that they’re “destination” clubs.

We need to up that offer to 1.5 mill to be any chance.
Can't afford that sort of money. It's 10% of the TPP.

I would go for a 10-yr deal on 1m/year.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 7:09am I personally think it ‘s hugely embarrassing that we’ve thrown everything including the kitchen sink at Shiel but he’s not interested.
That said, wasn't it Treloar that knocked Richmond back? No guarantees on either side of this argument / decision. I think the club are doing well in putting it out there that we have intent, may not come to fruition this trade period but as long as we don't throw the baby out with the bath water, that intent should hold us in good stead for future trade periods.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 7:09am I personally think it ‘s hugely embarrassing that we’ve thrown everything including the kitchen sink at Shiel but he’s not interested.
And on the other side of it, looking at the AFL's trade whispers article:

Shiel - Hawthorn.
Armon - Hawthorn.
Scrimshaw - Hawthorn.
Also Wingard - Hawthorn.

St Kilda - Set to retain Longer.

Carlton - Ferrying trade targets around in a private jet.

The 1980's are back!

Saint wagga
Club Player

I like the fact Carlton do there ‘mafia’ style wine and dine! It’s fun to read about, it’s part of their culture, their style! At least they have something to talk about! They are going to land McGovern if knowing else, a ‘young key oisition’ Player...right now, what do we stand for, what is our ‘style’...build up a giant war chest, invite all and sundry and end up with a couple of b-c graders! If we don’t land a top player this trade period I’ll be filthy!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Does the Carlton private jet and Noosa nosh up with an intimidating group of Carlton socialites go on to the Blues soft salary cap? And If I were Shiel (to dream) I would think what a mob of posing wankers thinking I will be so impressed I will come at a discount because of their extravagance. The rumour mill reporters all seem to have the same lead in with their phishing stories: player (insert name) is believed to be firming as going to Hawthorn (occasionally replace Hawthorn with North). These people have no idea and if a player was in serious negotiations why would you show your cards by declaring which of several clubs you prefer before a deal is sown up. The most professional deal has been Saints for Hannebury. It has been transparent, done early, with a good due diligence process and been game free with a likely win win outcome for all parties. Lethlean has assured us we will not be giving up the farm or bending over the barrel, just making a fair exchange. Shiel could well look at the difference between the over the top extravagance by Carlton and good practice. Part of the deal with us could be he doesn't have to listen to Richo more than twice a week, and then only to say g'day, if he pays attention to the assistants. Anyway speculation finishes soon and the real stuff begins. (Dylan the Saints are looking pretty, pretty good - and you can go to Shanghai which has more lights than Noosa.)