Game Thread vs Port Adelaide

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Game Thread vs Port Adelaide

battye wrote:I love your positive attitude SainterK, but the crux of the matter is Port Adelaide are rubbish. They were only above Gold Coast on the ladder last year.

And they beat us.

It's very hard to see this year being better than last year.
Well said.

Time to bag the team NOW!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
battye
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
battye wrote:I love your positive attitude SainterK, but the crux of the matter is Port Adelaide are rubbish. They were only above Gold Coast on the ladder last year.

And they beat us.

Beat us in the first 15 minutes, reckon that aside it wasn't bad.

Sue me that I am willing to take into account that most of our stars are a week behind everyone else, and that manifested itself for half a quarter. :wink:

I love that the willingness to stay within distance is still there, loving even more that the balance is DEFINITELY being tinkered with.

Milera is a keeper, Geary was great, Fisher Dal and BJ ran into some great form.

It's not far away from getting there.
I liked that we kicked more than 12 goals for the first time in 5 years. There are positives to be taken out of the game, I agree with that.
But losing to a team as poor as Port does not bode well for the rest of the season. Even if this was a one-off, which I'm not convinced of myself, it's these sort of games that you have to win to bank the four points in. Because when we come up against Geelong, Hawthorn, etc it's going to be that much harder.

I think it's time for a few tough decisions to be made. Not suggesting anything radical with the champions. But the players who wouldn't get a game with any other club, the players who played a role very well in 2009-10 but the game has since moved on, etc... maybe it's time to look to the next generation. We need to unearth some future stars.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm sorry but it is the end of the world.
This side is ok if you don't mind the taps going to the opposition at every stoppage, the inability of the side to dominate pack marks despite having so many talls and not having anyone willing to go in for the hard ball when it is on the ground. Our kicks looked ordinary sure but who do you kick to if no one presents .

If you don't mind your side struggling to run hard and be in front of your opponent at crucial times then you will be satisfied , even the umps don't like us and who can blame them ?
Out of the games I have watched so far Richmond is probably below us in overall skills and endeavor and as I said since watching the game at Visy against the skunks...we are only making up the numbers.
Too early to call?? wake up and smell the roses people. Time to rebuild .

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

And they beat us.

Beat us in the first 15 minutes, reckon that aside it wasn't bad.

Sue me that I am willing to take into account that most of our stars are a week behind everyone else, and that manifested itself for half a quarter. :wink:

I love that the willingness to stay within distance is still there, loving even more that the balance is DEFINITELY being tinkered with.

Milera is a keeper, Geary was great, Fisher Dal and BJ ran into some great form.

Good on you K got another in Gears and Dempster was good too. Keep calling them and with your talent for projecting I hope your right and tend to cautiously agree.

It's not far away from getting there.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Umpires shocking. St Kilda average. If we were good enough, as we have been in the past, crap umpiting wouldn't matter. I reckon Geary's stats are probably OK, but his decision making and skills are not good enough. His first few contributions set the scene. He is not the only one. Cripps very ordinary. Milara at least showed something.

The captain looks like he did last year. A different player. He's gone from a gun to just a player. Don't know what's going on. I haven't seen a transition like that before from such a good player. How does it happen. Can someone explain. I don't want to give up on him but I can't see him being the player he was. I waited all last year and he never came close. I thought after a long break he might come out and smash them. He never looked like it. I hope like mad he proves me wrong.

It's been a long wait to see them go again and I am personally dissapointed at their performance. Good sides don't lose those games. Guarantee Port don't play finals.

8856brother wrote:Umpires shocking. St Kilda average. If we were good enough, as we have been in the past, crap umpiting wouldn't matter. I reckon Geary's stats are probably OK, but his decision making and skills are not good enough. His first few contributions set the scene. He is not the only one. Cripps very ordinary. Milara at least showed something.

The captain looks like he did last year. A different player. He's gone from a gun to just a player. Don't know what's going on. I haven't seen a transition like that before from such a good player. How does it happen. Can someone explain. I don't want to give up on him but I can't see him being the player he was. I waited all last year and he never came close. I thought after a long break he might come out and smash them. He never looked like it. I hope like mad he proves me wrong.

It's been a long wait to see them go again and I am personally dissapointed at their performance. Good sides don't lose those games. Guarantee Port don't play finals.

They are our bogey side. Even when we were good we often stuffed up against them. Roo is painful to watch at the moment.

philtee
Club Player

Shoot me down, but I thought Port were pretty good. Forget last year's Port, they'll
trouble a few teams on their own anthill in 2012.
What killed the Saints was a slow first-quarter, 5 x 50 metre penalties, ineffectiive ruckwork,
the eclipsing of our tall forwards, and some strange umpiring. Mostly fixable.