Sam Fisher off field issues?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Fisher off field issues?

saintly wrote:does Sam fisher live in Port Melbourne?

there is a small article in Inside football where it states that a former (one that has been recently sacked) player living in Port melbourne is still living with a current player and the club has major concerns about.
Sam doesn't live with Jason

and I thought he was alluding to a Port melbourne Player.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

there is a small article in Inside football where it states that a former (one that has been recently sacked) player living in Port melbourne is still living with a current player and the club has major concerns about.

Since when? He did a few months ago. And it aint in Port Melbourne.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Didn't he just move in with Jason while his house was being built?

Be surprised if he is still there now...

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

I didn't know who he was alluding to. It just sounded suspicious like they were talking about Jason Gram, that was all and i didn't mention Gilbert.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Last I heard (just after he got sacked) was that Jason was living alone in his big new (relatively) house much closer to Seaford than Port Melbourne.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sun 23 Dec 2012 9:13pm, edited 2 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:

They used to stretching as far back as the days when Matt Ferguson was on our list.

If it is true then I only want Fisher to continues to play well at key back.

Who cares about the private life unless it influences football. Like any workplace.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

My mums cousin was a "celebrity" in the old days and seriously the s*** that gets written by journalists is so laughably inaccurate it's scary. I'm still of the opinion that until something comes to light that is worthy of a controversy he is doing nothing wrong. Most of the time there isn't even a grain of fact involved just stupid slander.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sam Fisher's contribution to our club over a long period of time, including a Best & Fairest, is such that he does not deserve to have his name sullied by his club's own supporters, based purely on rumour & innuendo.

Quite simply he's been our best and most consistent Defender over the last 5 years.

If anything is ever proven then it's fair enough to comment.

But until then it's simply bad form; very bad form IMO.

bushy_999
Club Player

I saw kosi at a pub in richmond yesterday was by far the drunkest bloke in the pub. Maybe caro should write a storie about that

Moolie
Club Player

Dr Spaceman, you are totally my favourite.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the doc. If anyone has credits in the bank it is Sam.
Our most reliable player for a decade. Basically never gets injured and always saves our bacon. Deserves loyalty from fans and benefit of any doubts. And an article from caro isnt exactly rock solid evidence in any case.

(Kosi on the other hand. Just cant see the big fella playing much more AFL footy im afraid. Seems 2013 is a bit of a charity year for him).

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I agree with the doc. If anyone has credits in the bank it is Sam.
Our most reliable player for a decade. Basically never gets injured and always saves our bacon. Deserves loyalty from fans and benefit of any doubts.
You pretty much described both Wayne Carey and Gary Ablett Sr there. Most reliable, rarely injured, always saves team - for a decade. Both of them c***s off the field though. No reason Fisher couldn't be the same, though I have zero evidence one way or the other and suspect the same may be true of Ms Wilson.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/s ... 6558131778

St Kilda's Sam Fisher training strongly after accusations of poor behaviour

"DUAL St Kilda best-and-fairest Sam Fisher has put pre-Christmas accusations of poor behaviour behind him and is leading from the front at training, according to Saints coach Scott Watters.

Fisher was the subject of speculation late last year that his place in the Saints leadership group was being put in jeopardy because of questionable off-field behaviour.

Watters had conversations with his star defender when the reports surfaced and said Fisher was disappointed and even "stunned'' with some of the suggestions.

And rather than be bogged down by the rumours Watters said Fisher decided to "deliver on his actions''.

"He was pretty disappointed with the way it was portrayed ... and quite stunned by some of the comments,'' Watters said today

"We had a conversation about that and his reaction was to train really well

"And from the first day in Colorado (on a pre-season training camp) he made some pretty big statements from a training perspective. He was leading some of the younger players.

"He was pretty unhappy with some of the comments which he believes were completely unfounded.''

Watters short tenure at the Saints has included several off-field disruptions including the sacking of Jason Gram for repeated indiscretions.

The coach said he didn't have a zero tolerance approach to mistakes but alluded to Gram having breached club policies on several occasions.

"People make mistakes and you have yo give people an opportunity to rectify or learn from that mistake,'' Watters told SEN.

"But when you start making repeat mistakes again and again and it starts to compromise what you are doing from a cultural point of view you have to make decisions.

"The team is always bigger than the individual.''

Three weeks out from St Kilda's NAB cup opener Watters said the playing list was "pretty fit and healthy'' with Fisher, Sean Dempster and Stephen Milne all set to re-join full training after being on modified programs."

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Sam Fisher's contribution to our club over a long period of time, including a Best & Fairest, is such that he does not deserve to have his name sullied by his club's own supporters, based purely on rumour & innuendo.

Quite simply he's been our best and most consistent Defender over the last 5 years.

If anything is ever proven then it's fair enough to comment.

But until then it's simply bad form; very bad form IMO.
This.

Fortius Quo Fidelius.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

But Fisher, 30, has relinquished his leadership position.

The veteran has been subjected to reports of poor behaviour this off-season, but the Saints have remained stern in their defence of the rebounding defender.

The Saints said Fisher and Schneider elected to leave the main leadership group.

Fisher said he wanted to focus on his on-field form in a bid to return to his best after an injury-plagued 2012.

"I have enjoyed being part of the leadership group for the last seven years but I missed eight games through injury last season," he said.

"Over the summer, my commitment to the club was questioned in some quarters outside the club. While I don’t agree with it, I think the best thing for me is to concentrate on ensuring I deliver my best form,” Fisher said.

On the Ball
Club Player

The reason he's not in the leadership group is because of the hot topic with the AFL at the moment.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

On the Ball wrote:The reason he's not in the leadership group is because of the hot topic with the AFL at the moment.

If thats true which how would anyone know this is a positive. Considering basically the whole list is in the leadership group having only one one bloke with a issue is great news. :shock:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Good on you Chips

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

you have to wonder where some of these crap stories originate and the ethics of the scum journo who puts it/them down on paper for publication.....oh it was kero caro.....'nough said......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

'denials are the choice of the beholder'.
So we begin with the basic premise he is in denial.
Who writes this stuff? The actual article is fine, (bar labeling him the smiling denier), but most footy fans won't read past that first sentence.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
matrix
Saintsational Legend

anyone gonna cut n paste the whole article for us schmucks that refuse to pay for news articles???

stupidity
you go to the HS and the same article you must subscribe for
but a buddy interview is free?

dumb f****

Saints94
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:anyone gonna cut n paste the whole article for us schmucks that refuse to pay for news articles???

stupidity
you go to the HS and the same article you must subscribe for
but a buddy interview is free?

dumb f****
The trick is to write the article heading in google and there will be other sites who show the article for free.

Saints94
SS Life Member

DENIALS are the choice of the beholder and St Kilda's Sam Fisher says he's not in denial.

ST KILDA has finally nominated Trevor Barker for induction into the AFL Hall of Fame - 24 years after he played his last game for the club.. .
Lance speaks frankly

If this was a Seinfeld episode, it would be titled The Smiling Denier.

He says his pre-season hasn't been much different to any other, although this one did create headlines.

In an article in The Age in late November, headlined ''Fisher on outer at Saints?", he was accused of antagonising teammates, being a bad influence on teammates, of having "off-field issues", and that he would be kicked out of the leadership group.

"The accusation, or the comments, made in a certain paper were disappointing and I was a little bit hurt by them," he said.

"But have I lost any sleep over them? No, I haven't."

Why wasn't there anger?

"Because I don't tend to worry about what's written about me, I never have and I never will, good or bad, and the way I look at it is, I can control what I control and whatever happens outside I can't control.

"My focus is on preparation, my effort at training and my performance and that's held me, from what I reckon, that's held me ... in pretty good stead for 10 years in the competition.

"So I must be doing something right, away from footy and at the club."

Fisher shakes his head at the fact his off-season behaviour was worthy of making headlines.

"I was surprised by it for sure," he said. "I went overseas during my break and had a good time like a lot of players do."

He visited America for three weddings, Zac Dawson's in Vegas, Nick Riewoldt's in Texas and that of another former teammate, Dylan Pfitzner, who married a Mexican woman.

He returned to Australia briefly, was written up in The Age, and then departed the next week for the Saints' pre-season in Colorado.

He told the Herald Sun his pre-season was not unlike most others, although when spoken to by senior St Kilda officials, he admitted he probably drank alcohol more than any other off-season, and flatly denied drug use.

“The parents ... that's the most disappointing thing. They've got to read it and then you get asked questions by them.
”The thing is, the rumour was Fisher was "off the rails".

"Again, that's the surprise," he said.

And the insinuation was drugs? "I gathered that, I put two and two together and that's how it came across," he said. "And that's why I was so surprised."

Any truth? "There's no truth at all to that.

"There's no issue with my state outside the footy club."

So, again, why wasn't he angry at the insinuation?

"I was. I said I was disappointed and hurt and, as I said, have I lost any sleep over it?"

At 30, Fisher is big enough and old enough to look after himself, but the hurt came when the accusations hurt his parents, and when it involved his teammates turning against him.

"The parents ... that's the most disappointing thing about it," he said. "They've got to read it and then you get asked questions by them.

"They know me closely enough and how I am away from the club, they know how I am at the club and they know how I am when I'm home with them.

"I'm happy with who I am and I don't need to change for anyone.

"There's a lot of speculation about many things in the AFL and if it's fair or unfair, it doesn't really matter.

"I'm not saying it didn't hurt me, it did, especially when your character is called into question ...

"But I thought, 'What's the best way to attack this?' Do I retaliate on social media or something like that, but that's not me.

"What's been successful for me is my focus, my effort, my preparation and that's the way I'm going to prove to people this hasn't been an issue."

As for his teammates and reading they didn't want him in a leadership group, that clearly stung Fisher.

He is out of the leadership group and he says it was his decisio, pointing out he's in the mentoring group with Lenny Hayes, Justin Koschitzke and Adam Schneider.