Hurley!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Re: Hurley!!!!!

Bluthy wrote:If you take Demps and Fish out, where are we with big backs. We've got Carlisle who looks the goods (hopefully has matured a bit). Goddard has showed a bit before doing an achilles. Roberton is showing signs he could mature into a genuine third tall defender. Then it drops off pretty quick with Lee looking unlikely, Delaney looking a depth/horses-for-courses player, Coughlan 2nd chance after not making it at another club. We probably do need some depth in the tall backs.

He's a pretty good rebounder which we desperately need but can play tall at the back. My issue is that we would have to give up our first rounder which I think we need to use on a silky skilled midfielder - but hey if we land Fyfe too that fixes that problem.
Coughlan hasn't played at any other AFL Club, he was with the footscray VFL team and prior to that with the GWS academy, he has never been on an AFL list and after watching him play a few games in the VFL, I think he will make it. Wouldn't be surprised to see him elevated to the senior list next year along with NOK

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone remember Glen Coghlan that played for us years ago, I thought he was good - what happened to him?

damienc
Club Player

Fox sports are saying the dishlickers are front runners to get Hurley if he leaves Essendon. Just saying !

stonecold
SS Life Member

damienc wrote:Fox sports are saying the dishlickers are front runners to get Hurley if he leaves Essendon. Just saying !

Fair enough, Let's see, shall we?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Bluthy wrote:If you take Demps and Fish out, where are we with big backs. We've got Carlisle who looks the goods (hopefully has matured a bit). Goddard has showed a bit before doing an achilles. Roberton is showing signs he could mature into a genuine third tall defender. Then it drops off pretty quick with Lee looking unlikely, Delaney looking a depth/horses-for-courses player, Coughlan 2nd chance after not making it at another club. We probably do need some depth in the tall backs.

He's a pretty good rebounder which we desperately need but can play tall at the back. My issue is that we would have to give up our first rounder which I think we need to use on a silky skilled midfielder - but hey if we land Fyfe too that fixes that problem.
Coughlan hasn't played at any other AFL Club, he was with the footscray VFL team and prior to that with the GWS academy, he has never been on an AFL list and after watching him play a few games in the VFL, I think he will make it. Wouldn't be surprised to see him elevated to the senior list next year along with NOK
Well he's been around the traps is what I meant - not a fresh off the boat rookie. He looked ok when I saw him in the VFL - a bit skinny but pretty good reader of they play. Its going to be tight for spots next year - with Carlisle, Goddard, Roberton, Gilbert, probably Dempster, maybe Delaney, I think we would be pretty covered for tall backs and he would stay on the rookie list for another year and maybe get an elevation if injury strikes.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Coughlan was selected to play against men whilst still a boy.

A great performance.

To say that he was found wanting at another club or that he has been around the traps is just plain wrong and in my view insulting.

He has a huge upside.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think there is a very good chance that at least one of Coughlan and Goddard is going to make it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Think that the club is hoping both make it.

So am I.

damienc
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
damienc wrote:Fox sports are saying the dishlickers are front runners to get Hurley if he leaves Essendon. Just saying !

Let's be very clear about this. I hope you are absolutely on the money with your prediction. I would love Hurley to be running around for the Saints next season. So no criticism of any kind towards you.

I personally don't think we are going to get him but having said that I could not be happier to be proved completely wrong and you completely right !

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

How can Foot is grey afford him under their salary crap. Are they paying some of their players under the table?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
stonecold
SS Life Member

damienc wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Let's be very clear about this. I hope you are absolutely on the money with your prediction. I would love Hurley to be running around for the Saints next season. So no criticism of any kind towards you.

I personally don't think we are going to get him but having said that I could not be happier to be proved completely wrong and you completely right !
No offence taken mate, I've been banging on about this for a longtime, cause I know the saints are extremely keen on Hurl's, so let's see if we can get the deal done

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Stonecold, don't want to burst the bubble, I for one am behind the Hurley deal on the right terms, but watch out for the black and white (who year after year seem to have no cap issues) ...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 299b63052c

Always loyal
Myron Gaines
Club Player

SemperFidelis wrote:Stonecold, don't want to burst the bubble, I for one am behind the Hurley deal on the right terms, but watch out for the black and white (who year after year seem to have no cap issues) ...

They have no assets to trade. The article is click bait. Filth stories sell papers / get hits.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Hope you're right Myron. I still can't work out how they got Treloar and Aish.

Always loyal
Myron Gaines
Club Player

SemperFidelis wrote:Hope you're right Myron. I still can't work out how they got Treloar and Aish.
Treloar was very keen to set himself up post footy & saw the media & promotional opportunities that came with being a Collingwood player.

From what I understand Aish had a relationship with Bucks from his time as an u18 academy player when Bucks was the coach.

Pies have a lot of pulling power come trade period however they are hamstrung this year.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:Stonecold, don't want to burst the bubble, I for one am behind the Hurley deal on the right terms, but watch out for the black and white (who year after year seem to have no cap issues) ...

Seems a certain now that they are trading out Cloke who was on big $$$, not sure if his contract was front loaded or not? You would think otherwise there TPP would be pretty tight.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:

Seems a certain now that they are trading out Cloke who was on big $$$, not sure if his contract was front loaded or not? You would think otherwise there TPP would be pretty tight.
Collingwood dont have a cap issue but have a serious draft pick issue.
Collingwood have no first rounder this year and cant trade away their 2017 first rounder because that would likely be a breach of AFL draft rules.

stkfc1
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:How can Foot is grey afford him under their salary crap. Are they paying some of their players under the table?
Hope they do get him and then they stuff up their salary cap for the next 5-10 years and watch their young guns walk out the door for gr$$ner pastures.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

stkfc1 wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:How can Foot is grey afford him under their salary crap. Are they paying some of their players under the table?
Hope they do get him and then they stuff up their salary cap for the next 5-10 years and watch their young guns walk out the door for gr$$ner pastures.
Hurley is overseas and hasn't made his mind up. Being linked to the doggies is nothing more than media speculation.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
stkfc1 wrote:
Hurley is overseas and hasn't made his mind up. Being linked to the doggies is nothing more than media speculation.
Hurley is in Melbourne and has not returned to train with the other suspended players yet according to fox.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure Hurley is the answer.

I mean we need him, but I think unless we have the capacity to get both him and a crack midfielder, I'd be inclined to chase the midfielder instead.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Agreed, JM. If he does go back to Essendon, which I admit is looking increasingly unlikely, I'd wait until he's out of contract and a FA. that way, we don't have to offer anything as a trade for him and the dopers have to rely on the AFL for compensation. Means not having to deal with Dudoro, either. I'd be more inclined to chase a midfielder or two. That's where the Swans really fixed us up. I know Buddy stitched us up, but in another year we'd have Carlisle to match up on him. Anyway, the way the ball came in after halftime, most of the people on this forum could've kicked 6. And it came in that way because they smashed us around the contests and their mids were superb with their disposal.

I reckon Acres will be a star. We need one more beast like him. We need Freeman to live up to somewhere near his potential and another one like him. Steele? Maybe. Hoskin-Elliott is the other one I reckon we could get reasonably cheaply. Out of favour at GWS, a former number 4 in his draft, 52 games under the belt, and will be 22 next year. The boy has pace, can take a grab, kick a good goal and could play anywhere, particularly as a quick, outside mid. Recently bought a house in Yarraville, and with the WB sniffing around he might be going there, but definitely wants out of the GWS. Go get him, I say.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I'm not sure Hurley is the answer.

I mean we need him, but I think unless we have the capacity to get both him and a crack midfielder, I'd be inclined to chase the midfielder instead.
Both. We need more mid talent and we need KP defenders. I'm imagining a trade period where we kick butt.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

From what Josh Bruce has mentioned throughout the year Richo had plans to use Carlilse as the 2nd ruck this year. I dont know if he will be able to do that next year with Fisher retiring, Goddard injured. Carlilse will be required to remain on the dangerous forwards, hence the importance of getting another ready to go key defender or a ruck/forward like James Stewart who can also play back.

Stewart hasnt set the world on fire but I have seen enough of him at AFL/NEAFL levels to suggest he would be the perfect fit for our list and would come a hell of a lot cheaper than Hurley. He would be the perfect swingman that could rotate where required, eg with Bruce so out of form into his position.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Also now reported in The Age :

"Collingwood has officially joined the race to sign banned Essendon defender Michael Hurley."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... qt9tz.html