Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

3rd generation saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:The JO would be transformative for us. And i dont think the players would give stuff whether its Ian Johnson or the Junction.
Theyd love to be training and working there. Wed be the employer of choice for footy players and coaches Australia wide.
And our current sponsorship situation is dire. It can only improve.

Players don't give a stuff where they train otherwise why did they all just sign up for us and why would Dal, Stanley and BJ leave to train miles from where they live. Secondly they don't get a choice when first drafted so we could train in Mildura and they still have to play with us. I cant imagine any player saying to themselves I would love to play at the Saints because they train in St Kilda. They may say I would love to play with the Saints because the facilities are the best or they are a promising team but it will never be because of the suburb we train in.
Exactly my point P66, as I said, if that was case why aren't players queuing to play for Richmond and hasn't being at Punt Road and haven't they been a booming success for the last 30 years.
Seems the majority of players are trying to get to Hawthorn and Geelong who have won 6 of the last 8 premierships.
Tigers are killing it in Membersihps and sponsors. Jeep and meBank for starters. 63,000 members.

Noone is saying JO will lead to 10 flags. NOONE. Recruitment and other factors will dictate onfield success.

But mark my words - we will rot a slow death at Seaford.

But I think p66 likes it that way. Keep us down. Keep us sh*t. Suits him personally.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:The JO would be transformative for us. And i dont think the players would give stuff whether its Ian Johnson or the Junction.
Theyd love to be training and working there. Wed be the employer of choice for footy players and coaches Australia wide.
And our current sponsorship situation is dire. It can only improve.

Players don't give a stuff where they train otherwise why did they all just sign up for us and why would Dal, Stanley and BJ leave to train miles from where they live. Secondly they don't get a choice when first drafted so we could train in Mildura and they still have to play with us. I cant imagine any player saying to themselves I would love to play at the Saints because they train in St Kilda. They may say I would love to play with the Saints because the facilities are the best or they are a promising team but it will never be because of the suburb we train in.
Exactly my point P66, as I said, if that was case why aren't players queuing to play for Richmond and hasn't being at Punt Road and haven't they been a booming success for the last 30 years.
Seems the majority of players are trying to get to Hawthorn and Geelong who have won 6 of the last 8 premierships.
Tigers are killing it in Membersihps and sponsors. Jeep and meBank for starters. 63,000 members.

Noone is saying JO will lead to 10 flags. NOONE. Recruitment and other factors will dictate onfield success.

But mark my words - we will rot a slow death at Seaford.

But I think p66 likes it that way. Keep us down. Keep us sh*t. Suits him personally.

What a stupid comment Con. Why the hell would I want us down the ladder. I can honestly say I have given more to our club than you have probably ever given. Im sick of your bulls***.

avid
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:Russell's take
http://www.sen.com.au/news/untangling-t ... on-project
If you want to throw in yet another puzzling item – Martin Foley the local ALP member is listed on the state parliamentary website as being a St Kilda fan, yet he is apparently against the club returning to the suburb it is named after. Clearly he wasn’t wearing his Saints’ hat (or scarf) when he voiced that opinion!

Cricket Victoria would probably prefer that there isn’t a footy element involved at all, but that may be needed to get the whole thing over the line. And those of us with a good knowledge of history are aware that cricket (in the form of St Kilda Cricket Club) screwed over the football club in the old days and that was the reason they moved to Moorabbin 50 years ago.

We shouldn’t be surprised that one party announces a big contribution to a project then the opponent follows suit. As one commentator observed the response is always “we’ll put in more” or “well put in a bit less, but do it better”.

With all of these proposals the expected contributions of the AFL and the federal Coalition Government remain unspecified.

If Labor gets in and doesn’t include St Kilda Football Cub in its plans, the AFL would have no reason to contribute a dollar. And with the federal government tightening the purse strings on everything in sight, would they put in any cash to a sporting development under either of the state parties?

If that’s the case we may have to pass around one of the hats that everyone has been wearing, and talking through
I live in St Kilda and know a little bit about what's going on politically.
Martin Foley (our local MP, ALP) is indeed a good Sainters fan. I see him on the tram going to games.
Labor's position seems to be to support (with funding) the redevelopment of the JO, but not necessarily with StKFC as part of it. They are not saying one way or the other.
I think Martin is under pressure from local groups, like Save Albert Park, who have a large influence in his electorate and who don't want any more development in the Park at all.
So I imagine Martin is doing a difficult balancing act of trying not to upset his anti-development constituents at the same time as trying to keep alive the hopes of the thousands of Saints supporters who are keen to see the Saints come home (probably including his family too!)
So I doubt we'll hear a position from Labor before the election.
But it is probably very important that more pro-Saints@JO pressure is felt in his office before election day.
"Bring the Saints Home" is a facebook site who are more on top of that pressure campaign than I am.
Their link is

You can find out more there.
And help keep the dream alive!
GO SAINTS! / COME HOME SAINTS!!

saint6709
Club Player

avid wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Russell's take
http://www.sen.com.au/news/untangling-t ... on-project
If you want to throw in yet another puzzling item – Martin Foley the local ALP member is listed on the state parliamentary website as being a St Kilda fan, yet he is apparently against the club returning to the suburb it is named after. Clearly he wasn’t wearing his Saints’ hat (or scarf) when he voiced that opinion!

Cricket Victoria would probably prefer that there isn’t a footy element involved at all, but that may be needed to get the whole thing over the line. And those of us with a good knowledge of history are aware that cricket (in the form of St Kilda Cricket Club) screwed over the football club in the old days and that was the reason they moved to Moorabbin 50 years ago.

We shouldn’t be surprised that one party announces a big contribution to a project then the opponent follows suit. As one commentator observed the response is always “we’ll put in more” or “well put in a bit less, but do it better”.

With all of these proposals the expected contributions of the AFL and the federal Coalition Government remain unspecified.

If Labor gets in and doesn’t include St Kilda Football Cub in its plans, the AFL would have no reason to contribute a dollar. And with the federal government tightening the purse strings on everything in sight, would they put in any cash to a sporting development under either of the state parties?

If that’s the case we may have to pass around one of the hats that everyone has been wearing, and talking through
I live in St Kilda and know a little bit about what's going on politically.
Martin Foley (our local MP, ALP) is indeed a good Sainters fan. I see him on the tram going to games.
Labor's position seems to be to support (with funding) the redevelopment of the JO, but not necessarily with StKFC as part of it. They are not saying one way or the other.
I think Martin is under pressure from local groups, like Save Albert Park, who have a large influence in his electorate and who don't want any more development in the Park at all.
So I imagine Martin is doing a difficult balancing act of trying not to upset his anti-development constituents at the same time as trying to keep alive the hopes of the thousands of Saints supporters who are keen to see the Saints come home (probably including his family too!)
So I doubt we'll hear a position from Labor before the election.
But it is probably very important that more pro-Saints@JO pressure is felt in his office before election day.
"Bring the Saints Home" is a facebook site who are more on top of that pressure campaign than I am.
Their link is

You can find out more there.
And help keep the dream alive!
GO SAINTS! / COME HOME SAINTS!!
I am a member of this Facebook page - it probably needs it's own thread??more members the better

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:180,000+ vehicles use the Monash daily, or you can just put it up above St.Kilda junction, those options would be much more attractive than facing Fitzroy Street. Don't forget Cricket Victoria has the Junction Oval and their sponsors will take priority over ours.

I didn't realise there was an option of training on the Monash freeway or on St Kilda road. We need more big thinkers like you at the club. :)

Seriously though go look at Seaford it has fallen down signage, looks like an under 9s facility, browned off turf all year round and then the only side that faces the freeway needs to be seen from the rear vision mirror. The access is down a suburban street with kindergartens and stuff. It's so ammo it makes me want to go down and bully the club. I have an anywhere but Seaford attitude.
Really you don't say, I'm referring to advertising signage, you know all these imaginary millions sponsors will give us for putting a billboard up at where we train to advertise their products.
Look as I have said, all good and well if we get a really good deal to go back, however, just returning to St.Kilda does not mean success and riches.
I mean some of you are carrying on like Bill Gates is going to give us 10 million a year for returning to St.Kilda, please, the only way we are going to attract more sponsors and members is to win games, I mean is it a coincidence that we had our highest membership when we played off in two successive Grand Finals.
Buy the way, survey anyone about where they would like to work and biggest answer will be either from home or close to home. Do you see many happy faces on the train in the morning because they are excited about going into the city to work. They only do it because they feel they have to.
Personally, if I'm a player located in the South Eastern Suburbs, I would prefer Seaford over St.Kilda. Less traffic, easier parking and better accessibility.
My final word, I would be much happier returning to Moorabbin than St.Kilda, because that's where I grew up with the club and that is to me our spiritual home, plus we don't have to share the facilities with anyone.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Bah. JO isnt home, had nothing to do with the joint for 60 years.
MOORABBIN is home, should never have left and should be going back there!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Bah. JO isnt home, had nothing to do with the joint for 60 years.
MOORABBIN is home, should never have left and should be going back there!

More time at JO than not at JO.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I hope this issue doesnt become like the Republic debate. Internal divisions splitting support.
If 40% want Moorabin and 40% want JO we might get stuck at Seaford for decades.

We have had more time at JO than not at JO.
Besides memories of the animal enclosure etc Moorabin has nothing on the JO.
JO will be superior for players and provide real presence in terms of branding and sponsors.
The type of sponsors we attract depends on our supporter demographics.
People seem to think sponsors are about players or footy itself. Most corporates couldnt give a stuff about the footy. You think Kia or Fujitsu give a stuff about Jobe Watson or Dyson Heppel? They care about how many and what kind of people are watching on TV and all that other marketing crap.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:180,000+ vehicles use the Monash daily, or you can just put it up above St.Kilda junction, those options would be much more attractive than facing Fitzroy Street. Don't forget Cricket Victoria has the Junction Oval and their sponsors will take priority over ours.

I didn't realise there was an option of training on the Monash freeway or on St Kilda road. We need more big thinkers like you at the club. :)

Seriously though go look at Seaford it has fallen down signage, looks like an under 9s facility, browned off turf all year round and then the only side that faces the freeway needs to be seen from the rear vision mirror. The access is down a suburban street with kindergartens and stuff. It's so ammo it makes me want to go down and bully the club. I have an anywhere but Seaford attitude.
Really you don't say, I'm referring to advertising signage, you know all these imaginary millions sponsors will give us for putting a billboard up at where we train to advertise their products.
Look as I have said, all good and well if we get a really good deal to go back, however, just returning to St.Kilda does not mean success and riches.
I mean some of you are carrying on like Bill Gates is going to give us 10 million a year for returning to St.Kilda, please, the only way we are going to attract more sponsors and members is to win games, I mean is it a coincidence that we had our highest membership when we played off in two successive Grand Finals.
Buy the way, survey anyone about where they would like to work and biggest answer will be either from home or close to home. Do you see many happy faces on the train in the morning because they are excited about going into the city to work. They only do it because they feel they have to.
Personally, if I'm a player located in the South Eastern Suburbs, I would prefer Seaford over St.Kilda. Less traffic, easier parking and better accessibility.
My final word, I would be much happier returning to Moorabbin than St.Kilda, because that's where I grew up with the club and that is to me our spiritual home, plus we don't have to share the facilities with anyone.
I don't think it will instantly attract millions in sponsorship but like the Tigers who put on a more professional image and started acting grown up the money followed. At the moment we have a facility that looks like we are expecting to contract away to nothing. It's like turning up to a job interview in a singlet and thongs and expecting a good result. JO offers a high profile professional image that we currently can only imagine. Even Moorabin which is still a good option won't match it for a professional image. JO could be one of the very best inner city training facilities with cricket attached to it. It attracts established players, it's easy to sell to sponsors, it returns to our roots and naming suburb and just generally looks a bit more like what you would expect a professional club to look like.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I hope this issue doesnt become like the Republic debate. Internal divisions splitting support.

JO will be superior for players and provide real presence in terms of branding and sponsors.
People seem to think sponsors are about players or footy itself. Most corporates couldnt give a stuff about the footy. You think Kia or Fujitsu give a stuff about Jobe Watson or Dyson Heppel? They care about how many and what kind of people are watching on TV and all that other marketing crap.
But Essendon moved out of Essendon to Tullamarine, maybe they'll drop their sponsorship because of that.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Con Gorozidis wrote:I hope this issue doesnt become like the Republic debate. Internal divisions splitting support.

But Essendon moved out of Essendon to Tullamarine, maybe they'll drop their sponsorship because of that.
Hi 3GS, firstly, the suburb of Essendon is a dormatory suburb, it's vanilla...
no tourists,
no partying,
no beach,
no photo opportunities with Mr P66 infront of the grandstands,
no up to 800,000 punters rocking up to rock-on for the music annual festival,
no muso and artists,
no penguins,
no GP with all it's accompanying national and international media attention...

simply put, no vibe...

and, no comparison with the famous iconic suburb that is St Kilda.

Secondly, as an aside, I reckon that Effndruginjector made a mistake in leaving almost 100 years of history, and moving out to suck in the av gas fumes. They wanted to expand and the bowlo wouldn't make way. I know no more details than that, but I'd be flabbergasted if something couldn't have been worked out for the mutual benefit of both parties. (Maybe something to do with the lawn bowlers getting sick of picking up discarded syringes after hours...? )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

Hi 3GS, firstly, the suburb of Essendon is a dormatory suburb, it's vanilla...
no tourists,
no partying,
no beach,
no photo opportunities with Mr P66 infront of the grandstands,
no up to 800,000 punters rocking up to rock-on for the music annual festival,
no muso and artists,
no penguins,
no GP with all it's accompanying national and international media attention...

simply put, no vibe...

and, no comparison with the famous iconic suburb that is St Kilda.

No comparison for population and disposable income between having an inner suburban presence and one in the sticks. No need to say anymore, Dave. The argument is a no-brainer. What we do know is that our CEO and the AFL's CEO can see sense and want us to have a presence there. Thank goodness for that. By the way, where's that idiot Archie Fraser now? Almost sold us into oblivion. A few more years at Seaford and we'd be on life support, if we aren't already. The sooner we go home, the better. VFL at Moorabbin, seniors in St. Kilda, with our home ground stadium just a tram ride away.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Oh well. There goes that idea.

Saintsational Legend

Patience grasshoppers. The ox is slow, but the JO is patient. I'm still willing to bet we'll get back there. We have to. In Att and Gillon we trust!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

That should read Matt. Stupid predictive text!

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

I can't wait for the footy to start.

Meanwhile back at the Junction.........

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:I can't wait for the footy to start.

Meanwhile back at the Junction.........

Lets get back to trucks and roads.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

A win for the good guys. Naptime said vote for who you trust...that box has been ticked..now for 4 yrs of whingeing and moaning from the bitter Lib supporters.

The JO is now in good hands.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:A win for the good guys. Naptime said vote for who you trust...that box has been ticked..now for 4 yrs of whingeing and moaning from the bitter Lib supporters.

To be serious, don't trust any politician, that's why I have my doubts on this JO project, I'd have more faith if we were part of a consortium that had very big vested interests in this project instead of will it win me some votes.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:A win for the good guys. Naptime said vote for who you trust...that box has been ticked..now for 4 yrs of whingeing and moaning from the bitter Lib supporters.

As distinct from the 4 years of 'good-natured applause' that we've seen (on here and generally)?

It will be interesting to see if the AFL will put its hand in its pocket to contribute to the redevelopment of JO without the Saints, just to get rid of cricket from the MCG earlier than they do currently.
Or will the new Vic Government suddenly have a change of heart and include some Saints plan for the area?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

As distinct from the 4 years of 'good-natured applause' that we've seen (on here and generally)?

It will be interesting to see if the AFL will put its hand in its pocket to contribute to the redevelopment of JO without the Saints, just to get rid of cricket from the MCG earlier than they do currently.
Or will the new Vic Government suddenly have a change of heart and include some Saints plan for the area?
I certainly hope so.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I moved a heap of irrelevant posts / rants to the politics section. Feel free to talk about the Junction Oval here. Talk about Politics in the Politics section.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

I certainly hope so.
I believe they'll have to if they are expecting the AFL to tip in significant sums.
I can't see the general footy public accepting a multi million dollar handout to Cricket Victoria just so the MCG tennant clubs can get to utilize the MCG earlier.
Especially those clubs stuck with the obscene ground deals at Etihad (which the AFL ultimately gets the benefit of)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

I certainly hope so.
I believe they'll have to if they are expecting the AFL to tip in significant sums.
I can't see the general footy public accepting a multi million dollar handout to Cricket Victoria just so the MCG tennant clubs can get to utilize the MCG earlier.
Especially those clubs stuck with the obscene ground deals at Etihad (which the AFL ultimately gets the benefit of)

But couldn't you also argue that 17 other clubs get no benefit by us going to the JO. At least a few clubs benefit if the G is available earlier.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

I certainly hope so.

But couldn't you also argue that 17 other clubs get no benefit by us going to the JO. At least a few clubs benefit if the G is available earlier.
Yes, but they could 'cover off' 2 things with the one same investment.
It's easier to sell a $20 million investment if you say it's for :-
Freeing up the MCG
and
Getting St Kilda a presence at the Junction Oval Complex.

rather than just saying it's for freeing up the MCG.
I have absolutely no doubt that the AFL will tip in the money just to get access to the MCG earlier (and later?)
By 'linking' the Saints to it they will find it easier to sell.