Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

Re: Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

Didn't expect to get Shiel. I think we are a much better chance to get Lachie Whitfield this time next year who is a better player and exactly what we need. No doubt we will throw the kitchen sink at him and we have made it very clear to him since he was drafted that we want him. Very big chance to get him!

Saint wagga
Club Player

I just don’t get everyone being so ‘relieved’ we can hang on to pick 4...like that player is going to have a massive impact on our season next year...no chance! We need ‘proven’ players! Our development is crap, our current team is poor making it very very hard for young players to have any meaningful impact and it actually seems to harm development coming into a **** team!

We’ve got enough high picks on our list to form the core for a generation...we need instant impact by proven quality players to support these young players and help them realise their potential...that’s why I’m so adamant we need to land guns. $$ and picks overs if needed because we need instant improvement to remain relevant, we’re becoming a comp wide irrelevant entity!

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 01 Oct 2018 7:38pm Hawthorn preferred. Then Carlton.

No to Saints and Bombers. Sorry guys. :cry:
On the money again Ted, nice work :lol:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy O'Dea wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:03pm Didn't expect to get Shiel. I think we are a much better chance to get Lachie Whitfield this time next year who is a better player and exactly what we need. No doubt we will throw the kitchen sink at him and we have made it very clear to him since he was drafted that we want him. Very big chance to get him!
Yet we didn't go hard at him last year when he was unhappy.
Pick 7 would have landed him last year IMO.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

My worst thought about this Shiel attempt is that the two people supposedly involved in the attempt weren't on the same page, one said we'd be keeping pick 4 regardless & the other said everything is on the table.
The second smacks of desperation whilst the first was hardnosed but likely fantasy if we were to have got him.
Oh well, load up for Kelly in 2019...now he's worth the $$$

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 01 Oct 2018 7:38pm Hawthorn preferred. Then Carlton.

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:06pm
Jimmy O'Dea wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:03pm Didn't expect to get Shiel. I think we are a much better chance to get Lachie Whitfield this time next year who is a better player and exactly what we need. No doubt we will throw the kitchen sink at him and we have made it very clear to him since he was drafted that we want him. Very big chance to get him!
Circumstances now very different.The kid was being hung out to dry and he stuck fat with his Club.Now he is surrounded by the overpaid B and C graders on a sinking ship. He has a good rapport with St Kilda FC, we will go very hard I am sure to get him.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy O'Dea wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:12pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:06pm
Circumstances now very different.The kid was being hung out to dry and he stuck fat with his Club.Now he is surrounded by the overpaid B and C graders on a sinking ship. He has a good rapport with St Kilda FC, we will go very hard I am sure to get him.
Fair call JOD, hope you are correct.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:11pm

Yes Ted, you should have noted our ITK poster, "Cairnsman", provided 'the whisper' last sunday that Essendon was the Club. :P

Yeah! AFL ITK Cairnsman, just follow his predictions carefully Ted....... but make sure you quote him/her.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

But meh we missed Shiel
Tbh my biggest concern is we put out so much into Shiel we missed some solid steak knives (setterfield a good get for Blues)
Just hope now ego don’t kick in and club makes a stupid overs offer for Wingard who IS NOT what we need
Hit draft
If we can offload a player or 4 to get us back into late first/early second contention then good
I really would look at Steven if he’s not happy....additional top 10 pick
Offer Gresham and Billings extended, larger deals
Build around the nucleus of next group that is there
Beef up player development
Land Gubby (we need a hard nosed deal campaigner)
Target Whitfield now / Kelly North bound

“Yeah….nah””
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

loris wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:22pm

Yeah! AFL ITK Cairnsman,
pretty certain Cairnsman has never claimed to be an AFL ITK
but thanks for the heads up to his strike rate
Last edited by sunsaint on Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seeya
damienc
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 1:59pm Anyone but them.

I can't stand their scum of the earth supporters and that slimy coach..

Scum.
Yes but there is a small comfort. Dodoro has to make this happen and the Giants will make him pay. The boot is on the other foot on his neck for a change.
Last edited by damienc on Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

think his contract runs to the end of 2020

Seeya
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Word is Shiel changed his mind several times. Its why it took so long. Bombers swooped in very late somehow with something special as they were meant to be out of the race just last week.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

whose word?
was it a spoken word?
or was the word written?
oh the intrigue - stay tuned

Seeya
Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:36pm
think his contract runs to the end of 2020
Exactly so GWS will look to trade for an early pick next year or they end up getting donuts for one of the games elite players.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:40pm Word is Shiel changed his mind several times. Its why it took so long. Bombers swooped in very late somehow with something special as they were meant to be out of the race just last week.
"Word". WITAF? You literally invent things to inject yourself back into a narrative.

I mean, seriously - you're just embarrassing yourself now. Stop it Parkey. Just. Stop. It.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:22pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:11pm

Yes Ted, you should have noted our ITK poster, "Cairnsman", provided 'the whisper' last sunday that Essendon was the Club. :P

Yeah! AFL ITK Cairnsman, just follow his predictions carefully Ted....... but make sure you quote him/her.
LOL, you know you are in trouble Ted when Loris the "fair minded maiden of the forum" is mocking you :lol:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy O'Dea wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 5:23pm Exactly so GWS will look to trade for an early pick next year or they end up getting donuts for one of the games elite players.
sounds good - but the early pick might be a problem
Have you not heard ? the whisper is 2018 was an anomaly and we are going to finish top 8 next year

Seeya
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 5:28pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:40pm Word is Shiel changed his mind several times. Its why it took so long. Bombers swooped in very late somehow with something special as they were meant to be out of the race just last week.
"Word". WITAF? You literally invent things to inject yourself back into a narrative.

I mean, seriously - you're just embarrassing yourself now. Stop it Parkey. Just. Stop. It.
No Saintmatt, don't discourage him/her.
What would we do for entertainment of Ted stopped posting?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Who is Loris and what is a Parkey? I'm not a French sports game.

Shiel flip flopped a few times. The Bombers end call was a massive surprise.

I'm now more interested to see what Lethlean's and Gallagher's plan b will be. Sure they have a c too. We missed Shiel. Time to roll up the old sleeves again.
Last edited by tedtheodorelogan2018 on Tue 09 Oct 2018 5:34pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

oh an PS JOD - we will still need a AA on-baller - which he is not

Seeya
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

And we have a new winner, post of the year Ted :D

GOLD!

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Yep. Goal posts often change at trade time. Your point? The Bombers were well out of the race last week. Coming last in fact.
Your obsession is a bit strange too. If only we all had the crystal ball of hindsight. I would be a millionaire!

Total = 1.
takeaway
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:07pm My worst thought about this Shiel attempt is that the two people supposedly involved in the attempt weren't on the same page, one said we'd be keeping pick 4 regardless & the other said everything is on the table.
The second smacks of desperation whilst the first was hardnosed but likely fantasy if we were to have got him.
Oh well, load up for Kelly in 2019...now he's worth the $$$
I don't see it that way. I reckon pick 4 was NOT on the table until Bombers started coming hard and also Blues upped their offer, maybe even gave hints about pick 1 along with Setterfield (probably not though). When Trade week started Lethlean was aware of this and made the statement that all assets were on the table, ie upped our bid. Club in my view gave it their best shot. Prefer pick 4 anyway.