Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
The Fireman wrote:A win for the good guys. Naptime said vote for who you trust...that box has been ticked..now for 4 yrs of whingeing and moaning from the bitter Lib supporters.

The JO is now in good hands.
As distinct from the 4 years of 'good-natured applause' that we've seen (on here and generally)?

It will be interesting to see if the AFL will put its hand in its pocket to contribute to the redevelopment of JO without the Saints, just to get rid of cricket from the MCG earlier than they do currently.
Or will the new Vic Government suddenly have a change of heart and include some Saints plan for the area?
I certainly hope so.
I believe they'll have to if they are expecting the AFL to tip in significant sums.
I can't see the general footy public accepting a multi million dollar handout to Cricket Victoria just so the MCG tennant clubs can get to utilize the MCG earlier.
Especially those clubs stuck with the obscene ground deals at Etihad (which the AFL ultimately gets the benefit of)

But couldn't you also argue that 17 other clubs get no benefit by us going to the JO. At least a few clubs benefit if the G is available earlier.
Yes, but they could 'cover off' 2 things with the one same investment.
It's easier to sell a $20 million investment if you say it's for :-
Freeing up the MCG
and
Getting St Kilda a presence at the Junction Oval Complex.

rather than just saying it's for freeing up the MCG.
I have absolutely no doubt that the AFL will tip in the money just to get access to the MCG earlier (and later?)
By 'linking' the Saints to it they will find it easier to sell.

They don't need to sell it at all. The public want access to the G earlier. The saints part only effects our supporters.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
The Fireman wrote:A win for the good guys. Naptime said vote for who you trust...that box has been ticked..now for 4 yrs of whingeing and moaning from the bitter Lib supporters.

The JO is now in good hands.
As distinct from the 4 years of 'good-natured applause' that we've seen (on here and generally)?

It will be interesting to see if the AFL will put its hand in its pocket to contribute to the redevelopment of JO without the Saints, just to get rid of cricket from the MCG earlier than they do currently.
Or will the new Vic Government suddenly have a change of heart and include some Saints plan for the area?
I certainly hope so.
I believe they'll have to if they are expecting the AFL to tip in significant sums.
I can't see the general footy public accepting a multi million dollar handout to Cricket Victoria just so the MCG tennant clubs can get to utilize the MCG earlier.
Especially those clubs stuck with the obscene ground deals at Etihad (which the AFL ultimately gets the benefit of)

But couldn't you also argue that 17 other clubs get no benefit by us going to the JO. At least a few clubs benefit if the G is available earlier.
Yes, but they could 'cover off' 2 things with the one same investment.
It's easier to sell a $20 million investment if you say it's for :-
Freeing up the MCG
and
Getting St Kilda a presence at the Junction Oval Complex.

rather than just saying it's for freeing up the MCG.
I have absolutely no doubt that the AFL will tip in the money just to get access to the MCG earlier (and later?)
By 'linking' the Saints to it they will find it easier to sell.

They don't need to sell it at all. The public want access to the G earlier. The saints part only effects our supporters.
You are crrect.
BUT IMHO they (the AFL) have a 'pathological need' to be seen to be 'doing the right thing' so will try and 'sell' the business decision of making the investment.

70s sainter
Club Player

"We are not trying to market to the postcode of St Kilda, but St Kilda is an iconic part of Melbourne which has an identifiable attitude and spirit which is really aligned with where we want to take the club. It is grounded but it is aspirational, it is eclectic, everyone belongs and we say how do we capture that as an identity," Finnis said. "It would be a good move on so many levels for the club."
Matt Finnis CEO

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:"We are not trying to market to the postcode of St Kilda, but St Kilda is an iconic part of Melbourne which has an identifiable attitude and spirit which is really aligned with where we want to take the club. It is grounded but it is aspirational, it is eclectic, everyone belongs and we say how do we capture that as an identity," Finnis said. "It would be a good move on so many levels for the club."
Matt Finnis CEO
This

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7140122520
St Kilda would build a training base, a museum and a venue like a cafe or function centre for fans to congregate at training or after games.

Before the election win St Kilda and the AFL had held discussions with Labor about including the Saints in the new precinc
t.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7140122520
St Kilda would build a training base, a museum and a venue like a cafe or function centre for fans to congregate at training or after games.

Before the election win St Kilda and the AFL had held discussions with Labor about including the Saints in the new precinc
t.
you can forget the JO.....won't happen under labor.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Tony Dodemaide CEO of Cricket Victoria spoke on radio this moring.

Sounds like JO is dead for now.

TD made it crystal clear that is preferred option was to have JO as a cricket centre WITHOUT the Saints.

Meanwhile Dogs are getting a home ground built in what used to be a Saints recruiting zone. Ballarat.

We had already ceded our Tasmanian following to the Hawks.

We are stuck in limbo.....can't reclaim our past, and no real future. Apart from NZ where the odds of actually gaining any type of following is very slim.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:Tony Dodemaide CEO of Cricket Victoria spoke on radio this moring.

TD made it crystal clear that is preferred option was to have JO as a cricket centre WITHOUT the Saints.

Meanwhile Dogs are getting a home ground built in what used to be a Saints recruiting zone. Ballarat.

We are stuck in limbo.....can't reclaim our past, and no real future. Apart from NZ where the odds of actually gaining any type of following is very slim.
That might be what Dodemaide wants but I doubt he'll get it. The AFL carry a lot of weight in Victoria and if they have a chat to the govt and say they'll put in a few million for the redevelopment I've got no doubt they'll get what they want.
Etihad was originally planned without the AFL. Next thing you know they're going to own it for bugger all in a few years.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saintsRrising wrote:Tony Dodemaide :evil: CEO of Cricket Victoria spoke on radio this moring.

Anyone who can't see the mutual synergises possible from footy and cricket going into this together, as a team...
is a fool, and is not fit to run a bath, let alone an organization as important as Cricket Victoria! :evil:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

not up to Tony Dodomaide

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Tony Dodemaide CEO of Cricket Victoria spoke on radio this moring.

That might be what Dodemaide wants but I doubt he'll get it. The AFL carry a lot of weight in Victoria and if they have a chat to the govt and say they'll put in a few million for the redevelopment I've got no doubt they'll get what they want.
Etihad was originally planned without the AFL. Next thing you know they're going to own it for bugger all in a few years.

1/ AFL have now already got what they wanted = earlier access to MCG by Cricket Victoria no longer needing to play there

2/ It is not just a few million, but $20/30 million

3/ Next lot of votes to bought is now a long way off

Albert Park District results

Historical pattern
1889-93 Liberal
1893-02 Conservative
1902-27 ALP
1927-29 NP
1929-32 ALP
1932-37 UAP
1937 Independent UAP
1937-45 UAP/Liberal
1945 Ministerial Liberal
1945-47 ALP
1947-50 Liberal/LCP
1950-present ALP

It would be much better for the Saints if it was in a marginal seat.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 02 Dec 2014 12:43am, edited 2 times in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:not up to Tony Dodomaide
Didn't say it was. But as CEO of Cricket Victoria he obviously has a fair idea of what is going on, or not going on.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:not up to Tony Dodomaide
Didn't say it was. But as CEO of Cricket Victoria he obviously has a fair idea of what is going on, or not going on.

The Labour party will have to chip more in if it doesn't get AFL backing and why would they waste their money if the Saints arent going there?

It could fall over

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Tony Dodemaide :evil: CEO of Cricket Victoria spoke on radio this moring.

Anyone who can't see the mutual synergises possible from footy and cricket going into this together, as a team...
is a fool, and is not fit to run a bath, let alone an organization as important as Cricket Victoria! :evil:

Can you tell me what benefits CV get if we are with them? And as others said it isn't up to TD but why do the AFL really care if we are in StKilda. They will get the G and that was what it was all about in the first place. All I want is the best facilities we can possibly get. Don't care where they are.

karnak
Club Player

Plugger i don't know you in person and at times I appreciate your contribution to this site. But please for the love of God don't post in this thread again. You are behaving like a dead set flog and just because you lack imaginatiom, creativity and any sense of forsight does not mean that should actively go about making us read and then re-read your drivel on this topic.

We've heard your rubbish spread over every page amd I'm sure I'm not alone in asking for you to show some restraint amd self respect and to let those of us who are passionate and positive about the possibility of moving back to our heartland to enjoy some positive and constructive discussion.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Plus one, Karnak. Those who oppose our return to St.Kilda simply lack the vision and imagination to realise what's possible. We can still have a presence in Moorabbin and even Seaford, but St.Kilda is where our heart has to be. We can still own the bayside and it will be easier to do if our first geographical stop from Port Melbourne is St.Kilda. The AFL's CEO wants it, so in the words of Captain Piccard, "Make it so, number one( Matt Finnis )".

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:Plus one, Karnak. Those who oppose our return to St.Kilda simply lack the vision and imagination to realise what's possible. We can still have a presence in Moorabbin and even Seaford, but St.Kilda is where our heart has to be. We can still own the bayside and it will be easier to do if our first geographical stop from Port Melbourne is St.Kilda. The AFL's CEO wants it, so in the words of Captain Piccard, "Make it so, number one( Matt Finnis )".
I don't think anyone has actually opposed the return to St.Kilda.
But quite a few of us have mentioned that we have to benefit from it, hence the concerns raised re being at the mercy of Cricket Victoria etc.
And if the club will clearly benefit with no strings attached it will be a no brainer.

We've already nearly ruined the club financially with the stadium deal at docklands (an example of vision and imagination?), and the move to Seaford and subsequent debt.
Let's make sure it's a good decision on all fronts before we lock in a move.
If by being cautious I "lack vision and imagination", so be it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
We've already nearly ruined the club financially with the stadium deal at docklands (an example of vision and imagination?),.
The AFL forced the Saints to go to Docklands, and in essence also dictated the terms. We were quite happy at AFL Park.

A big flaw in the AFL's logic was that they were assuming that vast numbers of people would have reserved seats. This is one reason why Geelong have not made their new ground too big. To limit supply and "force" fans to pay for reserved seats if they want to see the Cats play.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

karnak wrote:Plugger i don't know you in person and at times I appreciate your contribution to this site. But please for the love of God don't post in this thread again. You are behaving like a dead set flog and just because you lack imaginatiom, creativity and any sense of forsight does not mean that should actively go about making us read and then re-read your drivel on this topic.

We've heard your rubbish spread over every page amd I'm sure I'm not alone in asking for you to show some restraint amd self respect and to let those of us who are passionate and positive about the possibility of moving back to our heartland to enjoy some positive and constructive discussion.

Well I also don't like a person getting peoples hopes up that we may also play at the JO if we end up there. Thanks for your advise on not posting though. I will take it on board. And when have I ever said we shouldn't move back there. You are just another who don't read what I actually write but again ive taken it on board and may not post on this thread again.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Daniel Andrew on SEN said the door is open to Gillon McLachlan to talk about "bringing the Saints home"

http://www.sen.com.au/audio

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

OK, HTB. You lack vision and imagination.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Daniel Andrew on SEN said the door is open to Gillon McLachlan to talk about "bringing the Saints home"

http://www.sen.com.au/audio
so it's a no go then????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I am one too who is cautious, I have no problem with us going back to St.Kilda, but only for the right deal. I have seen this club screwed over by outside forces before and don't want to see it again.
What I don't believe that this move is going to suddenly double our membership and create an Aladdin's cave of riches for the club.
If we don't start getting results, it is going to be hard to retain members and get sponsorships.
I am just the reality check here. Plus as I said, in my opinion I would rather a return to new best in the land facilities at Moorabbin, that's where I grew up watching the club, that to me is the club's spiritual home, and where we should have never left.
But, we'll see what the future brings. But I will say this, the club starts winning games and starts challenging for the prize again, then the members and sponsors will come regardless where we are.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:OK, HTB. You lack vision and imagination.
:D

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We should never go back to the Junction Oval when it is run by cricket!

Have you fools no idea why we left in 1964?

If cricket runs it and we go back we are rooted!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell