I want my money back

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: I want my money back

Most years, I pay for up to 9 memberships including 3 premium, but this year I cut it down to 4 with top memberships for the missus and I and ordinary memberships for 2 of my daughters. None of us want any refunds even if the whole season is cancelled in full or in part.

I want my club to survive into 2021.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 5:50pm
bigred wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 1:11am I am glad you are comfortable with your excellent immune system and misguided bravado. I hope the people that you pass the virus onto while living your normal life feel the same way....
I am comfortable with my immune system and the various medications to help soothe colds and flus . If or rather when I get sick then I will self isolate to stop spreading the flu as should everyone. That is the best way to contain it. A cure will be months away as it takes time to test for side effects on human subjects. So in the mean time healthy people should be doing normal things.

By people panicking and making this seem like it is more serious than what it is it is ruining the lives of others. A lot of industries will be crushed by this costing people their livelihood which will lead to depression and is some cases suicide.

Bottom line is old people and frail people are at risk of death from disease as they are each year. Swine flu sars bird flu there will always be another one coming. Keep them safe, use common sense, improve your hygeine habits and it will pass.
Enough younger people are also dying . One doctor I heard, commented he had never dealt :roll: with such sick people.

saintkid
Club Player

bigred wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 1:11am Your membership for 2020 is a donation.
I agree but wouldn't it be good if the State Government made it a legit 19/20 tax deduction. :)

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Some people need their money back more than the club needs it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 1:11am I am glad you are comfortable with your excellent immune system and misguided bravado. I hope the people that you pass the virus onto while living your normal life feel the same way....
I am comfortable with my immune system and the various medications to help soothe colds and flus . If or rather when I get sick then I will self isolate to stop spreading the flu as should everyone. That is the best way to contain it. A cure will be months away as it takes time to test for side effects on human subjects. So in the mean time healthy people should be doing normal things.

By people panicking and making this seem like it is more serious than what it is it is ruining the lives of others. A lot of industries will be crushed by this costing people their livelihood which will lead to depression and is some cases suicide.

Bottom line is old people and frail people are at risk of death from disease as they are each year. Swine flu sars bird flu there will always be another one coming. Keep them safe, use common sense, improve your hygeine habits and it will pass.
I’m kind of with you...
Absolutely take precautions, be careful, keep up the hygiene, get rested, take time off if you’re feeling crook.

But tomorrow, if I want to go across the street for a coffee I’m not going to stress that I’ll catch it on the way.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 6:43pm

Enough younger people are also dying . One doctor I heard, commented he had never dealt :roll: with such sick people.
Not wanting to have a fight but there have been 5 deaths in Australia aged 90, 77, 95, 82 and 78. Not one of them is young, not even close

saynta
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 8:37pm

Not wanting to have a fight but there have been 5 deaths in Australia aged 90, 77, 95, 82 and 78. Not one of them is young, not even close
I was talking world wide. :roll:

saintbob
SS Life Member

20yrs + as a member, my membership has always been about helping the club not what I might get out of it.
This year is no different

DJ Higgins
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 8:55pm

that is just simply not true. Each country is dealing with it differently thus having different results but the average age is well over 70 . The average age of the deaths in Italy is 81 which is one of the biggest infected countries :roll:
https://time.com/5799586/italy-coronavirus-outbreak/
No need to respond as i am done with this topic

saynta
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 9:26pm

that is just simply not true. Each country is dealing with it differently thus having different results but the average age is well over 70 . The average age of the deaths in Italy is 81 which is one of the biggest infected countries :roll:
The doctor who first reported this was 34 or 35. He DIED.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

People might survive it - but it can leave you very unwell. We won't know the full extent of this for 18 months.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Groovy Guru
Club Player

More than happy for the club to keep my basic membership fee ..... but reserve seat payment is another matter.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about the one from the cruise ship, I understand all of the others caught it from a much younger person.

However make no mistake while the older you are the more your risk is, that young people die too. Even infants have dies.

We do not want to get to where the Italians are at, and it is a lesson for those that being younger makes them bullet proof.

YOUNG AND UNAFRAID OF THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC? GOOD FOR YOU. NOW STOP KILLING PEOPLE | OPINION
A DOCTOR IN WESTERN EUROPE

I'm a doctor in a major hospital in Western Europe (Italy). Watching you Americans (and you, Brits) in these still-early days of the coronavirus pandemic is like watching a familiar horror movie, where the protagonists, yet again, split into pairs or decide to take a tour of a dark basement.

The real-life versions of this behavior are pretending this is just a flu; keeping schools open; following through with your holiday travel plans, and going into the office daily. This is what we did in Italy. We were so complacent that even when people with coronavirus symptoms started turning up, we wrote each off as a nasty case of the flu. We kept the economy going, pointed fingers at China and urged tourists to keep traveling. And the majority of us told ourselves and each other: this isn't so bad. We're young, we're fit, we'll be fine even if we catch it.

Fast-forward two months, and we are drowning. Statistically speaking—judging by the curve in China—we are not even at the peak yet, but our fatality rate is at over 6 percent, double the known global average.

Put aside statistics. Here is how it looks in practice. Most of my childhood friends are now doctors working in north Italy. In Milan, in Bergamo, in Padua, they are having to choose between intubating a 40-year-old with two kids, a 40-year old who is fit and healthy with no co-morbidities, and a 60-year-old with high blood pressure, because they don't have enough beds. In the hallway, meanwhile, there are another 15 people waiting who are already hardly breathing and need oxygen.

The army is trying to bring some of them to other regions with helicopters but it's not enough: the flow is just too much, too many people are getting sick at the same time.

We are still awaiting the peak of the epidemic in Europe: probably early April for Italy, mid-April for Germany and Switzerland, somewhere around that time for the UK. In the U.S., the infection has only just begun.

But until we're past the peak, the only solution is to impose social restrictions.

And if your government is hesitating, these restrictions are up to you. Stay put. Do not travel. Cancel that family reunion, the promotion party and the big night out. This really sucks, but these are special times. Don't take risks. Do not go to places where you are more than 20 people in the same room. It's not safe and it's not worth it.

But why the urgency, if most people survive?

Here's why: Fatality is the wrong yardstick. Catching the virus can mess up your life in many, many more ways than just straight-up killing you. "We are all young"—okay. "Even if we get the bug, we will survive"—fantastic. How about needing four months of physical therapy before you even feel human again. Or getting scar tissue in your lungs and having your activity level restricted for the rest of your life. Not to mention having every chance of catching another bug in hospital, while you're being treated or waiting to get checked with an immune system distracted even by the false alarm of an ordinary flu. No travel for leisure or business is worth this risk.

Now, odds are, you might catch coronavirus and might not even get symptoms. Great. Good for you. Very bad for everyone else, from your own grandparents to the random older person who got on the subway train a stop or two after you got off. You're fine, you're barely even sneezing or coughing, but you're walking around and you kill a couple of old ladies without even knowing it. Is that fair? You tell me.

My personal as well as professional view: we all have a duty to stay put, except for very special reasons, like, you go to work because you work in healthcare, or you have to save a life and bring someone to hospital, or go out to shop for food so you can survive. But when we get to this stage of a pandemic, it's really important not to spread the bug. The only thing that helps is social restriction. Ideally, the government should issue that instruction and provide a financial fallback—compensate business owners, ease the financial load on everyone as much as possible and reduce the incentive of risking your life or the lives of others just to make ends meet. But if your government or company is slow on the uptake, don't be that person. Take responsibility. For all but essential movement, restrict yourself.

This is epidemiology 101. It really sucks. It is extreme—but luckily, we don't have pandemics of this violence every year. So sit it out. Stay put. Don't travel. It is absolutely not worth it.

It's the civic and moral duty of every person, everywhere, to take part in the global effort to reduce this threat to humanity. To postpone any movement or travel that are not vitally essential, and to spread the disease as little as possible. Have your fun in June, July and August when this—hopefully—is over. Stay safe. Good luck.

The author is a senior doctor in a major European hospital. She asked to remain anonymous because she has not been authorized to speak to the press.

As told to Dimi Reider.

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid ... on-1491797

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Deleted text as was the above post duplicated for some reason.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

And what happens when you contract the virus and because of your fantastic immune system you don't show any signs?
What happens to all the people you pass it onto before you even know you have it?
Personally, I don't want to be responsible for passing on the virus to others and worst case scenario be responsible for someone else's death.
Whilst I understand what you're saying, I find this mentality both ignorant and dangerous.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 10:13pm

Yeah, he was a Chinese doc who spoke out of line. Good chance he was knocked on the head.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
BarryGrogan
Club Player

IluvHarvey wrote: Mon 16 Mar 2020 3:46pm

And what happens when you contract the virus and because of your fantastic immune system you don't show any signs?
What happens to all the people you pass it onto before you even know you have it?
Personally, I don't want to be responsible for passing on the virus to others and worst case scenario be responsible for someone else's death.
Whilst I understand what you're saying, I find this mentality both ignorant and dangerous.
I don't know man. Last Man Standing is a pretty cool show.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Having been out of hospital for just six weeks after having a week of intensive chemotherapy to kill-off any remaining cancer cells - and my immune system - prior to receiving stem cell transfusions to develop a new immune system I have good reason to be paying attention.

My haemotologist advised me this morning to continue doing as I have been for the past nine months. Basically, what the government is telling us. Interestingly, she said people who are not sick but choose to wear a face mask are facing greater risk. The virus will stay longer on a mask than it will on your face.

She also strongly advised against listening to Muppets on internet forums. Didn't mention this one, just all of them!

Saint supporter since '62
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 14 Mar 2020 9:03am They should postpone the season and re-jig the fixture to make it a seventeen round home and away season where every team plays each opponent once.
Playing a couple of rounds in front of empty stadiums and running the risk of players getting the coronavirus in the meantime is a dumb idea.
Start the season when round five should be played and things will be a lot clearer situation-wise.
If by May, schools and public transport are closed then they will have to abandon the season anyway.
If the season had already started then abandoning it is a lot more disruptive and leaves players, officials, their families exposed to an unfair risk.
I have no idea how dangerous this virus can be - about the same as the flu, but with no antidote I've been reliably informed - so it can make a person very ill.
The strategy needs to be one of keeping calm and being pro-active until the antidote can be found.
I tipped this.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sendmehomehappy wrote: Mon 16 Mar 2020 6:05pm
saynta wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 10:13pm

Yeah, he was a Chinese doc who spoke out of line. Good chance he was knocked on the head.
What utter rubbish. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Just got my airfares to Japan back oh and while I'm here would like to share one of my fav songs :)

saintly
Saintsational Legend

I emailed the club today and told them that no matter what happened with the season I would not be asking for a refund.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

how many have joined over the past week ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

asiu wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 2:54pm how many have joined over the past week ?
I typically re-sign our family in the first or second round every year - will be doing it tomorrow......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Whilst I am not going to call the club and express my view on a refund of my membership, I do expect the club to keep me informed as to what is happening with respect to them.
There are some on here that pay the membership as a donation whilst others use it as a means to get cheaper entry in to the games.
I'm somewhere in the middle.
I buy a membership, seat, and social club. The last one is a donation as I hardly get to the social club bar and we haven't looked like playing in a Grand Final, so my guarantee of a seat for that is pointless.
This year, I also bought a beyond the boundary experience scheduled for Round 2 (The Danny Frawley Tribute Game) v West Coast. That was around the $400 mark.
I emailed the club about that. Not about a refund, just about their plans for it.
To their credit the club called me and said they'd be honouring it later in the season...I guess the six month outlook from the PM has quashed that. But the club said that if it couldn't be rescheduled then I'd be refunded my money.

I'd expect some kind of communication from the club to its members regarding refunds/compensation.
I'm interested to hear from AFL members as their membership fees are not a dontation at all.