Billings and King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: Billings and King

So we need more players that hide on a football field for 3 quarters. He was shocking yesterday and had his one quarter of contribution been in the 1st quarter, the football world would be coming down hard on him today for costing us a game. Lets not sugar coat it. He cost us the game. Even a 2 quarter contribution could have gotten us the extra 3 points we needed. 3 Bloody quarters of zero contribution is not good enough.

I don't care how he's polling in in the TB medal, we needed him yesterday to stand up in a big game and in a game that was about the difference between gainging credibility as a top 4 contender versus 5th to 8th best side.

He's lucky it's a gap year, he still has much work to do getting ready for full strength competion.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 2:08pm So we need more players that hide on a football field for 3 quarters. He was shocking yesterday and had his one quarter of contribution been in the 1st quarter, the football world would be coming down hard on him today for costing us a game. Lets not sugar coat it. He cost us the game. Even a 2 quarter contribution could have gotten us the extra 3 points we needed. 3 Bloody quarters of zero contribution is not good enough.

I don't care how he's polling in in the TB medal, we needed him yesterday to stand up in a big game and in a game that was about the difference between gainging credibility as a top 4 contender versus 5th to 8th best side.

He's lucky it's a gap year, he still has much work to do getting ready for full strength competion.
So what to do then with the dozen players who he played better than yesterday?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 2:13pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 2:08pm So we need more players that hide on a football field for 3 quarters. He was shocking yesterday and had his one quarter of contribution been in the 1st quarter, the football world would be coming down hard on him today for costing us a game. Lets not sugar coat it. He cost us the game. Even a 2 quarter contribution could have gotten us the extra 3 points we needed. 3 Bloody quarters of zero contribution is not good enough.

Hold him to account for a shocking game and don't even go near praising him for some things he did in Q4 that he should have bloody done in 3 other quarters. He will be roasted in the reviews today.

3 DP, Mid 20s now and on the big coin, he can't pick and choose when he wants to roll up the sleeves.

And don't get me started about his zero onfield leadership, he has none, and when the game needs him he is nowhere to be found.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 2:21pm

Hold him to account for a shocking game and don't even go near praising him for some things he did in Q4 that he should have bloody done in 3 other quarters. He will be roasted in the reviews today.

3 DP, Mid 20s now and on the big coin, he can't pick and choose when he wants to roll up the sleeves.

And don't get me started about his zero onfield leadership, he has none, and when the game needs him he is nowhere to be found.
Just to clarify, are you talking about Hill here or Billings?

Billing has had probably 2-3 bad games this year, and those weren't even that terrible. And he's been in the best on in most of the others.

It's called credits in the bank, something that a player like Hill (who you are so happy to defend) doesn't have.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 2:27pm

Billing has had probably 2-3 bad games this year, and those weren't even that terrible. And he's been in the best on in most of the others.

It's called credits in the bank, something that a player like Hill (who you are so happy to defend) doesn't have.
Zero contribution in 3 quarters of football.

ZERO.

NADA.

Had credits, HAD, he now needs to wait for the next season defining game to start building credits again.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 2:32pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 2:27pm

Zero contribution in 3 quarters of football.

ZERO.

NADA.

Had credits, HAD, he now needs to wait for the next season defining game to start building credits again.
And you thought my take on Gresh was harsh...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:47pm Andrews is a fantastic FB. Having King with his young body trying to take him on in one on one marking contests (well actually often King vs 2) was never going to end well.

I think they need to have King leading more and more often pushing out to CHF.
The Brisbane backs , block, grab hold,chop, push and shove with impunity it would seem.Although Marshall did get one iffy free.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 24 Aug 2020 3:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 10:37pm
bergsone wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:18pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:11pm Far be it from me to suggest they had good games today as they both were badly beaten for the majority of the match.

But credit where credit is due, the last quarter was the best for both. Billings had 9 touches or thereabouts and a goal after following his 6 disposals to that point and King had 5 touches a big mark and unfortunately a bad miss after basically not getting anywhere near it.

Felt it showed a bit of character to rebound like that
Agree,but for us to be areally good side we needed more earlier .King had chances early,Billings unsighted
I’m not even in slightest worried about King - 1st year gets the ball kicked/bombed on top of his head weekly and still gets Hans to it; contest at ground level and contributes
Billings.......been around since 2013 draft and just goes awol way to much for mine - everyone gets excited by his class but when a guy has 5 touches to 3qtr there ain’t much class
Ratts threw him forward to try and get something in the last and he responded to his credit but let’s face it.... we are at least 2 quality midfielders away from being a top side and Billings will never play mid.... he can’t
Trade bait for mine and go hard with $$ for a big name gun plus a v good second
Billings trade bait? Yeah whatever.He will be captain or vice captain in the next couple of years.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 2:35pm

And you thought my take on Gresh was harsh...

I am just bristling at him being praised for a few efforts in one quarter of football, it is completely undeserved.

That's the worst effort I've seen from someone of his ilk in a Saints jumper for since I can't remember.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 12:12am I cant believe Billings let us down so badly - he must be scapegoated

He is the one we must blame for our 2pts loss to a 95% full strength Top 2 Bears (missing Rich) at the GABBA where they have won 14 out of there last 16 games.
:D :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 12:30am
Devilhead wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 12:12am I cant believe Billings let us down so badly - he must be scapegoated

He is the one we must blame for our 2pts loss to a 95% full strength Top 2 Bears (missing Rich) at the GABBA where they have won 14 out of there last 16 games.
Now you’re talking
Jacks a nice fella but absolutely replaceable
Do you know what a mid is? I heard today Jacks a “modern mid” he just doesn’t do centre clearance or stoppage clearances but he’s still a mid!!! Lol
I think that was tongue in cheek :roll:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The interesting thing about this is that in the past it was Billings character that would get assassinated, no leadership, no passion, soft, weak...blah, blah, blah. Yesterday he did in the last quarter what people claimed he was devoid of, not throwing in the towel, turning a bad day into some good moments. Someone with actual guts does this, someone with pride in themselves and the jumper they pull on does this.

Whilst his first 3 quarters will be highlighted, his last will also be highlighted, that is how a team and a player improve.

What I find interesting is when people choose to value the TB medal and when votes in it mean nothing. How does that work? Roo & Harves had bad games in B&F years, do their medals / votes count or not?

Billings and King will be two of the reasons why we will play finals and possibly win our 2nd flag, they are not the reasons we won't. Both their games yesterday were certainly better than the worst games played this year, and yesterday, than others in the team.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 2:41pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 10:37pm
bergsone wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:18pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:11pm Far be it from me to suggest they had good games today as they both were badly beaten for the majority of the match.

But credit where credit is due, the last quarter was the best for both. Billings had 9 touches or thereabouts and a goal after following his 6 disposals to that point and King had 5 touches a big mark and unfortunately a bad miss after basically not getting anywhere near it.

Felt it showed a bit of character to rebound like that
Agree,but for us to be areally good side we needed more earlier .King had chances early,Billings unsighted
I’m not even in slightest worried about King - 1st year gets the ball kicked/bombed on top of his head weekly and still gets Hans to it; contest at ground level and contributes
Billings.......been around since 2013 draft and just goes awol way to much for mine - everyone gets excited by his class but when a guy has 5 touches to 3qtr there ain’t much class
Ratts threw him forward to try and get something in the last and he responded to his credit but let’s face it.... we are at least 2 quality midfielders away from being a top side and Billings will never play mid.... he can’t
Trade bait for mine and go hard with $$ for a big name gun plus a v good second
Billings trade bait? Yeah whatever.He will be captain or vice captain in the next couple of years.
Well we are are stuffed then. He may be a fine young man and all that, but bloody hell, games like yesterday are what the big name players make their reputations on. As has been pointed out. He goes missing when it gets hot in the kitchen. I expect him to play much better this week when it's cooler.

Steele is clearly going to be our next captain. I agree with others who say Billing's is trade bait. Very risky proposition I know, but we need gun midfielders. If we could get a straight swap of Kelly for Billings I'd spew up if the club rejected it. We are crying out for quality mids. We simply have one. The other is constantly injured. Jones has a huge heart but he butchers the ball too much. Hill obviously should be one but for some reason can't get his act together, although I thought yesterday he was better. When others were tiring in the last quarter he was outrunning everyone which is his strength. Once we get back to full length games I expect him to get better and better.

Many were upset with the trade of Bruce to the Doggies but that has turned out to be a great trade. We need to take calculated risks. And games like yesterday are the measuring stick. Games like this week are the leverage to get what we want.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 2:37pm
saintsRrising wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:47pm Andrews is a fantastic FB. Having King with his young body trying to take him on in one on one marking contests (well actually often King vs 2) was never going to end well.

I think they need to have King leading more and more often pushing out to CHF.
The Brisbane backs , block, grab hold,chop, push and shove with impunity it would seem.Although Marshall did get one iffy free.
Yep. That what good backs do. They make life difficult for the opposition until the umpire says too much. I haven't got a problem with it. Maxy Hudghton and Spud were masters of it.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I can guarantee that the club will not trade Billings. They love him.

The club will find a way to get that gun mid.

Unrestricted free agents for starters.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Right now Billings is our Fiora. Almost identical players and both 3rd overall DPs, both skilfull in many areas, but both picked and choose when to get roll up the sleaves and get the jumber dirty or a few bruises.

Right at the moment I wouldn't trust him in a finals campaign.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Granted Billings can be inconsistent but he can take the hits and goes when it's his turn. He is a lot tougher than people give him credit for.

He is also the type of player that would do something special in a tight final, such as the last quarter goal in Sunday's match for instance.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:44am Granted Billings can be inconsistent but he can take the hits and goes when it's his turn. He is a lot tougher than people give him credit for.
It's the picking and choosing that is Fiona esque for a player of his percieved champion status that is the very worrying concern. What's he had now, 3 or 4 really poor contributions within 12 games this season?

So called champion players don't have that embarrassing strike rate. At the moment I have him as a clear B grader and not worth the 800k we are reported to be paying him.

He could be a big liability in a final.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 3:41pm The interesting thing about this is that in the past it was Billings character that would get assassinated, no leadership, no passion, soft, weak...blah, blah, blah. Yesterday he did in the last quarter what people claimed he was devoid of, not throwing in the towel, turning a bad day into some good moments. Someone with actual guts does this, someone with pride in themselves and the jumper they pull on does this.

Whilst his first 3 quarters will be highlighted, his last will also be highlighted, that is how a team and a player improve.

What I find interesting is when people choose to value the TB medal and when votes in it mean nothing. How does that work? Roo & Harves had bad games in B&F years, do their medals / votes count or not?

Billings and King will be two of the reasons why we will play finals and possibly win our 2nd flag, they are not the reasons we won't. Both their games yesterday were certainly better than the worst games played this year, and yesterday, than others in the team.
The Brisbane game was one we needed to win, and we had a few too many passengers who left it too late to put in- and that's not how you win a premiership.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:49am
SaintPav wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:44am Granted Billings can be inconsistent but he can take the hits and goes when it's his turn. He is a lot tougher than people give him credit for.
It's the picking and choosing that is Fiona esque for a player of his percieved champion status that is the very worrying concern. What's he had now, 3 or 4 really poor contributions within 12 games this season?

So called champion players don't have that embarrassing strike rate. At the moment I have him as a clear B grader and not worth the 800k we are reported to be paying him.

Billings has had more great games this year than Fiora had his whole career. Not a fair comparison at all.

I’d love to here your take on Billings year compared to Hill’s, as its clear whose has been better, but I’m sure you’ll manage to twist it some how.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It's the picking and choosing for a player of his percieved champion status. What's he had now, 3 or 4 really poor contributions within 12 games this season?

I never said he was a champion player but he's not a Fiora either. Far from it. Fiona also never had players sitting on him.

From my recollection, Fiora got a two year contract on the back of a fairly good season in 2007. Lyon cut him at the end of 2008 with a year still to go on his contract which meant the club had to pay him out a full season, a cost they thought was worth bearing because they wanted him off the list. That will never happen to Jack. Enough said on that comparison.

Yes, he has struggled to get into games a few times this season. But he plays on the wing and there have been a few times games have been played mostly on one side of the ground, which may have made it hard for him to get into the game. It's a totally different game these days.

Maybe the coach needs to manufacture a way to get him more involved in the game?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 10:04am

Billings has had more great games this year than Fiora had his whole career. Not a fair comparison at all.

I’d love to here your take on Billings year compared to Hill’s, as its clear whose has been better, but I’m sure you’ll manage to twist it some how.
I'm applying the tall poppy sindrome judging criteria based on how much a player gets paid. So both players should give some (more) money back.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

You have to be pretty special to compare Billings to Fiora :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Onya SK keep up the good work!! :lol:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 10:23am
The_Dud wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 10:04am

I'm applying the tall poppy sindrome judging criteria based on how much a player gets paid. So both players should give some (more) money back.
Reductio ad absurdum. :roll:

:)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I could list a few big names who were quiet in big finals, but let's not go there.

Billings nearly won us the game on Sunday. It depends on which way you look at it.

I think you're using hyperbole to sound contentious because you like playing the role of the agitator. Fine by me.

Carry on.