Ben Long One Week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ben Long One Week

When’s the hearing?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:43am When’s the hearing?
Knowing the AFL it will be Saturday morning.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:42am
samoht wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:18am He's reckless ... in the sense that he collided into one of our own players too, in a very similar way.
He also had a dummy spit moment which nearly cost us a goal and the game (as older saint mentons above) - with the 50 metres he gave away.
He is quite fiery, with I like, but it will inevitably come back to bite us every now and then.
He needs to pull his head in. We need him on the park.

thecrevis
Club Player

Saints are appealing. Will he get two weeks if the appeal fails?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I hope he continues to play the way he does

Ape_Man
Club Player

thecrevis wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:20pm Saints are appealing. Will he get two weeks if the appeal fails?
The AFL changed the rule so clubs don't get an automatic extra week if the appeal fails.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

5pm.

As long as they dont bring in the same f****** QC that they had through the Thomas era, we should be fine.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 1:25pm 5pm.

As long as they dont bring in the same f****** QC that they had through the Thomas era, we should be fine.
Apparently Dennis Danuto will represent him and he is confident that Long will be available to play this Friday, claiming the bump was "harmless, yeah, not very impactful at all really, it had a real low impact 'vibe' about it, yeah, thats it, a low impact vibe."

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Ben Long is pleading guilty to a grading of careless conduct, high contact and LOW impact. The Match Review Officer graded the incident as medium impact. If the Saints are successful, a low impact grading would generally equal a fine, not a suspension.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

We're watching video of the bump though as usual, it's like watching a PowerPoint over the streaming software.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Medical report from the Bulldogs: Jack Macrae was assessed for a head injury at the time. He did not leave the playing surface and no further treatment or assessment was required.

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Saints pointing to examples provided by the Match Review Officer - including Lindsay Thomas on Logan Austin, which was graded low.

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Anthony Miles on Riley Knight is being provided as an example of medium impact.

― Aristophanes

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Medical report. No treatment required. They should stop right there.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Jack Bowes on Jacob Weitering is being provided as another example of medium impact.

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The jury members reviewed the vision of those bumps this afternoon.

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

AFL arguing first. Jeff Gleeson says the only issue at hand is whether the impact was medium or not. He points to a specific moment in the vision, when the contact is made to Macrae's face. Gleeson: "You see the elevation of Long's shoulder to Macrae's head. He comes up a little, seems to see him a millisecond before contact and then there's that forceful contact. It's not in dispute there was high contact."

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

AFL: "That vision there strongly suggests this is not a glancing blow to the face, but rather significant, forceful impact."

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Are you farking kidding me!

AFL: "When it comes to assessing impact, the important thing to remember is the word is impact, not injury. You're not assessing injury. If you go to the guidelines ... consideration will be given to the extent of force. It's the extent of force you're assessing. Injury is a consequence of force. It's a possible consequence, sometimes it's a probable consequence ... it says 'strong consideration' will be given to the potential to cause injury ... you have significant head impact, that's apparent from the vision, and you have momentum."

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

AFL: Take into consideration "the momentum Long had built up. He came off the line, had gathered speed, and the force at which he hit Macrae was considerable. What happens as a consequence of the force is in the lap of the Gods. The player may or may not suffer a concussion. He may or may not suffer a broken jaw. He may get up and run off. That's really not the point. When a player comes at speed and executes a forceful bump, and makes forceful impact with the head, the potential for serious injury is pronounced."

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

AFL: Macrae virtually spins a full 360. Part of that is because he sees Long and tries to avoid the blow by turning, I accept that.

― Aristophanes

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Jeff Gleeson from the AFL is acting as the executioner.

"That vision there strongly suggests this is not a glancing blow to the face, but rather significant, forceful impact."

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

AFL: Mr Rush has shown three examples. I've said it many times in this environment ... when it comes to impact, caution is needed when it comes to comparing other cases.

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

AFL: The important distinction between the low and medium examples ... is the force of the blow. There's no doubt the player who was bumped by Thomas (Austin) stays down longer than Macrae did when Mr Long bumped him. That's in the lap of the Gods.

― Aristophanes