Crouch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Crouch

st.byron wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 3:22pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 11:18am I’m not sure if on balance he was the player we needed...
Pbly suggests we won’t get Caldwell?

Who does he push out? Feel like he’s alongside Steele, Ross, and Hannerbery.

This looks to me like it stamps Dunstan’s papers.
Don’t think it suggests we won’t get Caldwell. Still up in air is t it? Crouch costs zero at the trade table. We still have a first rounder for Caldwell, plus whatever other picks we gain for players traded out. Am imagining Crouch AND Caldwell added to our midfield. I like.
Crows may still want and get our first rounder

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Crouch nominating us is great news!

A RFA nominates us, this is huge!

A grade player at his best, cost nothing in relation to draft picks.
Another player wanting to come to our club shows we are now becoming a club of choice and climbing the rungs of the destination club ladder.

What we cannot do anymore is take fringe players like Phillips from Collingwood, we don't need anymore Kents on the list who are fringe best 22.

Criteria should be walk up best 22 or young gun or someone with huge upside.
After watching young Draper play this season I think the bold move to attract him last season was very well justified and I think the same about Caldwell, the little I've seen of Jye shows some exciting attributes.

In opposition to my criteria I'd still punt on a smokey trade with big upside like a 2mt Peter Wright due to height and late maturing. I have watched him train a fair bit and he seems absolutely committed to getting another shot at AFL and making the grade, he knows what he has to improve on.

A trade period netting Crouch and Caldwell off the back of last years recruiting and perhaps another would be a fantastic follow up.

Taking Crouch does not mean we lose Ross but Dunstan may be excess to requirements.

Imagine replacing FT small forwards like Kent & Lonie with Gresham & Billings who can rotate through the middle as well. The likes of Crouch & Caldwell allow this to happen.

Bringing in Caldwell negates the need to develop our first round pick next year and barely dilutes our youth development.

Best 22
Wilkie Howard Paton
Long Carslile Coffield
Hill Crouch Clark
Billings Marshall Gresham
Butler King Membrey

Ryder Steele Jones

IC from: Hannebery, Battle, Ross, Geary, Caldwell, Sinclair, Lonie, Hind, Kent, Dunstan, Byrnes, Bytel, Marsh

We might get something in return for Dunstan 3rd rounder, Webster late 4th rounder, Savage 5th rounder or DFA, Lonie 3rd rounder as they can all play and could add value somewhere.

Given #32 equals Bruce & Zak Jones value.
#56 & #58 equals Steven & Butler I wouldn't be expecting much in return for the above.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Crouch coming certainly does make the Caldwell thing less likely. He's had quite a while to make the call, and now that GWS have more $$$ to throw at him, it'll make it harder for him to leave. The question of Crouch being picked up because Caldwell deal has fallen through is certainly one worth speculating. If I could only have one of the two it would've Caldwell

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

A couple of GWS women players work for us in a facility in Eastern Creek in Western Sydney.
They are saying that Jye is leaving and will go to the Saints.
Can't validate the accuracy and how close they'd be to the male players or info, but that's what I was told.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I wonder where Dunstan or Sinclair will end up now with Crouch coming in?

Is Seb Ross safe or does he finally get to the Bombers?

I reckon Ratts is looking to have a foward line full of resting mids so blokes like Lonie, Kent & Hind may also find themselves trade bait.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 4:13pm A couple of GWS women players work for us in a facility in Eastern Creek in Western Sydney.
They are saying that Jye is leaving and will go to the Saints.
Can't validate the accuracy and how close they'd be to the male players or info, but that's what I was told.
On BF they are suggesting it will be announced tomorrow and there are yet other sticks burning in the fire. With Caldwell developing alongside Bytel & Byrnes the future St Kilda midfield is looking very bright.

We will still need another ruckman from some where but I get the impression Gags has got that covered also.

Plus we all get the impression there is/was something going on with Carlisle at seasons end?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 4:00pm Crouch nominating us is great news!

Another player wanting to come to our club shows we are now becoming a club of choice and climbing the rungs of the destination club ladder.

What we cannot do anymore is take fringe players like Phillips from Collingwood, we don't need anymore Kents on the list who are fringe best 22.

After watching young Draper play this season I think the bold move to attract him last season was very well justified and I think the same about Caldwell, the little I've seen of Jye shows some exciting attributes.

In opposition to my criteria I'd still punt on a smokey trade with big upside like a 2mt Peter Wright due to height and late maturing. I have watched him train a fair bit and he seems absolutely committed to getting another shot at AFL and making the grade, he knows what he has to improve on.

A trade period netting Crouch and Caldwell off the back of last years recruiting and perhaps another would be a fantastic follow up.

Taking Crouch does not mean we lose Ross but Dunstan may be excess to requirements.

Imagine replacing FT small forwards like Kent & Lonie with Gresham & Billings who can rotate through the middle as well. The likes of Crouch & Caldwell allow this to happen.

Bringing in Caldwell negates the need to develop our first round pick next year and barely dilutes our youth development.

Best 22
Wilkie Howard Paton
Long Carslile Coffield
Hill Crouch Clark
Butler King Membrey

Ryder Steele Jones

IC from: Hannebery, Battle, Ross, Geary, Caldwell, Sinclair, Lonie, Hind, Kent, Dunstan, Byrnes, Bytel, Marsh

We might get something in return for Dunstan 3rd rounder, Webster late 4th rounder, Savage 5th rounder or DFA, Lonie 3rd rounder as they can all play and could add value somewhere.

#56 & #58 equals Steven & Butler I wouldn't be expecting much in return for the above.
It is not a done deal that we get Crouch for nothing as he is a restricted free agent.

This is an extract for the age article posted above.

"The Crows will now eagerly await the contract terms St Kilda offer for the player, who won their best and fairest last year.

It is expected Crouch's contract will draw no more than an end-of-first-round draft pick as compensation. The Crows will then query whether they are better to match the compensation and seek to trade for St Kilda's first-round pick, or whether that compensation selection is sufficient."

Why take pick 21 when you can have pick 15 or 16.,,or thereabouts

Probably the reason that Caldwell hasn't been announced as the Saints don't know if they will still have a first round pick until after the Crouch deal goes through.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 4:16pm I wonder where Dunstan or Sinclair will end up now with Crouch coming in?

I reckon Ratts is looking to have a foward line full of resting mids so blokes like Lonie, Kent & Hind may also find themselves trade bait.
Why the f*** would anyone want to go to the bombers, Ross certainly wouldn't. :roll:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 4:16pm I wonder where Dunstan or Sinclair will end up now with Crouch coming in?

Dunstan will be back further in the queue as is an inside mid...the same as Crouch.
Ditto for Seb, though is in front of Dunstan. If Jaye also comes in then Ross might get sqeezed out.

Sinclair is an outside linking mid and does it well. So depending who we get I can still see him in the 22.
Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 4:16pm I reckon Ratts is looking to have a foward line full of resting mids so blokes like Lonie, Kent & Hind may also find themselves trade bait.

I believe so too.

Butler may be our only remained true small forward.
However Gresh rotates small forward with midfield.
Sincs still an outside linking mid (though will do some centre square work) along with Hanns, Billings, Jones and Hill.

Billings to also spend more time forward.

So Lonie, Kent and Hind all on the outer. Lonie if kept would be in and out of the side.

Lonie if he was a bit quicker could be best 22 as he is smart and is a '"footballer" but being very small and slow is a handicap.

You also need some midfield depth as you will have injuries.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
asiu
Saintsational Legend

re .... adelaide marching our offer

this is why we would offer 5 years on less coin
... adelaide might be happy with matching the coin
but for 5 years ?

so they (are manourvered) to take the end of rnd 1 compensation pick
... as happily as they can or lock in another two years
above their current offer

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
sks023
Club Player

Can't be much out there if Crouch is coming
Skeptical at best

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
damienc
Club Player

sks023 wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 5:20pm Can't be much out there if Crouch is coming
Skeptical at best
I think you are being a little harsh in judgment.

Crouch is an AA extractor. An inside midfield bull who goes after the pill like a terrier with no regard for his own welfare.

It is exactly what we need and why we chased him so hard. But injury prone.

Some here say his disposal is not always as it should be but we have some great and fast outside options who more than make up for what crouch might lack.

All he has to do is get it and he is really, really good at getting it like about 30 times a game.

So it’s a yes from me.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

We needed an inside gun bull and it seems we now have one pending Adelaide's decision to match or not to match.

Keep him fit and kerb his penchant for booze and we have a very good player.

Just need Caldwell now to pull the trigger and a fit Gresh and we finally have the midfield depth we have been screaming out for.

There will be plenty of competition for spots which can only be healthy for the team and the club moving forward.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
sks023
Club Player

damienc wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 5:37pm
sks023 wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 5:20pm Can't be much out there if Crouch is coming
Skeptical at best

Crouch is an AA extractor. An inside midfield bull who goes after the pill like a terrier with no regard for his own welfare.

Some here say his disposal is not always as it should be but we have some great and fast outside options who more than make up for what crouch might lack.

All he has to do is get it and he is really, really good at getting it like about 30 times a game.

So it’s a yes from me.
If he is all that you say he is I will soon soften up
Will need to win me over

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 5:39pm We needed an inside gun bull and it seems we now have one pending Adelaide's decision to match or not to match.

Just need Caldwell now to pull the trigger and a fit Gresh and we finally have the midfield depth we have been screaming out for.

There will be plenty of competition for spots which can only be healthy for the team and the club moving forward.
I know posters won't like me saying it, not that I give a rats, but it is not booze that is his problem.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

sks023 wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 6:19pm
damienc wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 5:37pm
Skeptical at best

So it’s a yes from me.
If he is all that you say he is I will soon soften up
Will need to win me over
Me too mate, me too.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Devilhead wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 5:39pm We needed an inside gun bull and it seems we now have one pending Adelaide's decision to match or not to match.

OK I will broach the bleeding obvious
we take on two on-ball players that are injury prone and like a beer ALTHOUGH Lets get real here it wasnt just a beer that got him into trouble - is this just another case of dejaFU again with a new signature
So we discard some of our more robust but less skilled players in the wash up - then both DH & BC go out at some point in 2021 - heaven forbid together
Some are saying we will entertain offers for Lonie - if so I feel that Gresham will play as the second small forward along with Butler. And finger out time for Billings to be accountable as a forward flank - link play and kick goals.
That leaves one forward spot for a resting/rotating mid or ruck.
How does that sound?

Seeya
realdeal
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 5:09pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 4:00pm Crouch nominating us is great news!

Best 22
Wilkie Howard Paton
Long Carslile Coffield
Hill Crouch Clark
Butler King Membrey

Ryder Steele Jones

It is not a done deal that we get Crouch for nothing as he is a restricted free agent.

This is an extract for the age article posted above.

"The Crows will now eagerly await the contract terms St Kilda offer for the player, who won their best and fairest last year.

It is expected Crouch's contract will draw no more than an end-of-first-round draft pick as compensation. The Crows will then query whether they are better to match the compensation and seek to trade for St Kilda's first-round pick, or whether that compensation selection is sufficient."

Why take pick 21 when you can have pick 15 or 16.,,or thereabouts

Probably the reason that Caldwell hasn't been announced as the Saints don't know if they will still have a first round pick until after the Crouch deal goes through.
Do the Crows actually want to keep him on the contract we're proposing..?
By matching our offer they are in danger of St.Kilda turning around and saying that they dont want to do a trade for him. Crows are then lumbered with an unhappy player and a contract they dont really want...

Let's hope they take the compo (which should be end of 1st rd pick) and move on...

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We all know we are currently at least one GENIUNE midfielder short. Now we have one. That can't be bad.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 10:26am Would be happy with this. It's basically a upgrade on Dunstan.
In what ways do you see him as an improvement? Genuine question...

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 6:35pm

I know posters won't like me saying it, not that I give a rats, but it is not booze that is his problem.
And as I said, you’re delusional if you think that Hanneberry and Carlisle are the only players that indulge. Jack Steven was very popular at the club. Most guys socialised with him. Open your eyes. All clubs indulge in it sadly. Coke is the new beer in this generation

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote=Moods post_id=1879027 time=1603267346 user_id=18525]
[quote=saynta post_id=1879016 time=1603265747 user_id=126]
[quote=Devilhead post_id=1879010 time=1603262379 user_id=17]
We needed an inside gun bull and it seems we now have one pending Adelaide's decision to match or not to match.

[/quote]

[/quote]

And as I said, you’re delusional if you think that Hanneberry and Carlisle are the only players that indulge. Jack Steven was very popular at the club. Most guys socialised with him. Open your eyes. All clubs indulge in it sadly. Coke is the new beer in this generation
[/quote]

Nose beers

SaintPelican66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 5:11pm

Why the f*** would anyone want to go to the bombers, Ross certainly wouldn't. :roll:
How the f*** would you know where Ross wants to go? Seriously. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

realdeal
Club Player

Moods wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 7:02pm
saynta wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 6:35pm

Yeah... And people also know for certain that coz they've done it 3yrs ago that they still do it now... Carlisle onto his 3rd child is out doing it every weekend is he?

Alot of assumptions and guessing going on..

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 7:14pm
saynta wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 5:11pm

How the f*** would you know where Ross wants to go? Seriously. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Why. Would you go to Essendon. :roll: :roll: :wink: :roll: :roll: :roll: :twisted: :roll:

We can only hope you do. :wink: Seriously.