Jack Higgins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Higgins

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 9:22am
terry smith rules wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 9:09am Oh the grass is always greener

Can any of the posters in favour of Higgins tell me why he is so much better than Lonie

Their lifetime stats are almost identical

I’ll give you one reason to keep Lonie (based on previous knowledge)

He has a good football brain and is known to help out leading the forward line.

Can Higgins bring that?
Not sure why bringing Higgins in and retaining Lonie are mutually exclusive.

Higgins wants to play midfield (I have read) and IMO offers more up the ground than Lonie, but I am in agreement Lonie is a good footballer and there is room for both on the list if not in the team.

Having Kent, Lonie, Hind, Grsham, Billings, Long all on the list didn't stop the recruitment of Butler.
Lonie is a better footballer than Kent & Hind and I'd rather retain him and recruit Higgins.
Would Richmond be interested in Kent?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Can any of the posters in favour of Higgins tell me why he is so much better than Lonie

Can Higgins bring that?
Yeah I'm inclined to think keeping Lonie and bringing in Higgins and trading out Kent and Hind would be a better option.

Hind is clearly not going to make it at AFL level and Kent is expendable as far as trading stock goes.

Higgins is obviously coming over on a minimum contract with inventive incentive clauses.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 9:27am

Can Higgins bring that?

Higgins wants to play midfield (I have read) and IMO offers more up the ground than Lonie, but I am in agreement Lonie is a good footballer and there is room for both on the list if not in the team.

Having Kent, Lonie, Hind, Grsham, Billings, Long all on the list didn't stop the recruitment of Butler.
Lonie is a better footballer than Kent & Hind and I'd rather retain him and recruit Higgins.
Would Richmond be interested in Kent?
They took Mav!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Can Higgins bring that?

Fair enough, but how many 177cm and 76 kg mids are there who are any value.

Yes Lachie Neale and ???

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 9:56am

Can Higgins bring that?

Yes Lachie Neale and ???
Not all mids but some bloody good midgets in the AFL, size only matters if you are not good enough.
I looked up shortest AFL players.

5 ft 10 in
Jed Anderson, Luke Dahlhaus, Taylor Duryea, Jade Gresham, Liam Henry, Bradley Hill, Ned McHenry, Darren Minchington, Matthew Owies, Izak Rankine, Daniel Rioli, Liam Ryan, Sydney Stack, Sam Switkowski, Ben Ainsworth, Toby Bedford, Trent Bianco, Callum L. Brown, Ned Cahill, Josh Daicos, Jamie Elliott, Orazio Fantasia, Martin Frederick, Jarrod Harbrow, Jarman Impey, Kane Lambert, Andrew McGrath, Gryan Miers, Touk Miller, Tom Papley, Matthew Rowell, Adam Saad, Lachlan Schultz, Caleb Serong, Jayden Short, Josh Thomas, Jack Viney, Michael Walters, Robbie Young, Jake Aarts, Zac Fisher, Riley Garcia, Jack Higgins, Tom Hutchesson, Rory Laird, Zac Langdon, Jay Lockhart, Lachie Neale, Cameron Polson, Jake Tarca, Cody Weightman

5 ft 9 in
Allen Christensen, Mitch Crowden, Sam Gray, Lachlan Johnson, Jack Mahony, Lincoln McCarthy, Dylan Moore, Irving Mosquito, Lachlan Murphy, Shai Bolton, Travis Colyer, Michael Gibbons, Stefan Giro, Bobby Hill, Ian Hill, Jack Lonie, Brandon Matera, Dion Prestia, Willie Rioli, Malcolm Rosas, Will Snelling, Lewis Taylor, Dayne Zorko, Eddie Betts, Kade Chandler, Darcy MacPherson, Devon Smith, Boyd Woodcock

5 ft 8 in
Liam Baker, Ben Cavarra, Paul Puopolo, Charlie Spargo, Tyson Stengle, Robbie Gray

5 ft 7 in
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Brent Daniels, Kysaiah Pickett

5 ft 6 in
Caleb Daniel

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Can Higgins bring that?
Higgo is taller, faster and weighs more - means he's able to execute his forward pressure. Also - he is actually a midfielder playing as a small forward. He played his junior footy as a mid and wants to play more in there. Lonie is exclusively a small forward (which is ok if you're Milney) and therefore utterly one dimensional - not to mention one-sided.

You cannot have enough multi-dimensional midfielders in your team - that's what the Tiges have done. Baker, Ross, Graham, Bolton, Pickett etc are all mids who are good enough to play other roles/positions in their system

I like Lonie and to his credit - he gets lots of shots at goal for a bloke with his physical limitations but - he also misses a lot of those shots. Higgo all day every day for me.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 9:27am

Can Higgins bring that?
Yeah I'm inclined to think keeping Lonie and bringing in Higgins and trading out Kent and Hind would be a better option.

Hind is clearly not going to make it at AFL level and Kent is expendable as far as trading stock goes.

Higgins is obviously coming over on a minimum contract with inventive incentive clauses.
You have to have someone to trade them to though. I like Kent and Hind but they're bit players in a system based game.

Higgins won't be on minimum chips at all. He was extended in his first season after his very good first season and he's on reasonable coin - at the very least, the AFL average of ~$350K-ish.

Saintmike65
Club Player

In his draft year, Jack was rated by champion data #1 and Richmond was very fortunate to get him @ pick 17.
He is a very clever small forward but also a more than capable mid...exciting prospect he and Gresham alternating mid and forward as we tend to lose a bit of creativity when Gresh is out of our forward 50.
Out of Higgins, Lonie, Hind & kent, Higgins is the superior option, meaning we can trade out Lonie.
He is also very capable overhead, something the other guys aren't!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 10:28am

Can Higgins bring that?

You have to have someone to trade them to though. I like Kent and Hind but they're bit players in a system based game.

Higgins won't be on minimum chips at all. He was extended in his first season after his very good first season and he's on reasonable coin - at the very least, the AFL average of ~$350K-ish.
They will probably want Butler back. :wink:

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 10:42am

Can Higgins bring that?

They will probably want Butler back. :wink:
Ha! To be honest - unlike that fvckhead over at planeland ... the Tiges are happy to release players whom are surplus to their needs and go with both their club and fans blessing. They're pretty gracious (as you would be after 3 flags in 4 years!).

Also - can you believe we got Jones and Butler for Josh Bruce? Sheesh :D

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 10:10am
terry smith rules wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 9:56am

Can Higgins bring that?

Yes Lachie Neale and ???
Not all mids but some bloody good midgets in the AFL, size only matters if you are not good enough.
I looked up shortest AFL players.

5 ft 10 in
Jed Anderson, Luke Dahlhaus, Taylor Duryea, Jade Gresham, Liam Henry, Bradley Hill, Ned McHenry, Darren Minchington, Matthew Owies, Izak Rankine, Daniel Rioli, Liam Ryan, Sydney Stack, Sam Switkowski, Ben Ainsworth, Toby Bedford, Trent Bianco, Callum L. Brown, Ned Cahill, Josh Daicos, Jamie Elliott, Orazio Fantasia, Martin Frederick, Jarrod Harbrow, Jarman Impey, Kane Lambert, Andrew McGrath, Gryan Miers, Touk Miller, Tom Papley, Matthew Rowell, Adam Saad, Lachlan Schultz, Caleb Serong, Jayden Short, Josh Thomas, Jack Viney, Michael Walters, Robbie Young, Jake Aarts, Zac Fisher, Riley Garcia, Jack Higgins, Tom Hutchesson, Rory Laird, Zac Langdon, Jay Lockhart, Lachie Neale, Cameron Polson, Jake Tarca, Cody Weightman

5 ft 9 in
Allen Christensen, Mitch Crowden, Sam Gray, Lachlan Johnson, Jack Mahony, Lincoln McCarthy, Dylan Moore, Irving Mosquito, Lachlan Murphy, Shai Bolton, Travis Colyer, Michael Gibbons, Stefan Giro, Bobby Hill, Ian Hill, Jack Lonie, Brandon Matera, Dion Prestia, Willie Rioli, Malcolm Rosas, Will Snelling, Lewis Taylor, Dayne Zorko, Eddie Betts, Kade Chandler, Darcy MacPherson, Devon Smith, Boyd Woodcock

5 ft 8 in
Liam Baker, Ben Cavarra, Paul Puopolo, Charlie Spargo, Tyson Stengle, Robbie Gray

5 ft 7 in
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Brent Daniels, Kysaiah Pickett

5 ft 6 in
Caleb Daniel
Excellent homework

However out of all those highlighted only 8 (ish) are mids

My point is if we want to get someone in to play mid , size does matter

A stat that used to come out once a week was “ how many centre bounces a player attends”

Great for doing your fantasy team

One thing that was clear from those stats is each team’s gun mids attend by far and away the majority, you might get someone like Ross at Richmond (who I rate ) but they only go in for 5 centre bounces a match

So what I am trying to say is that this hype around having many potential mids is just that ... hype. Because at the end of they day it is your guns who are in there.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Can Higgins bring that?

I say this with tongue firmly planted in cheek, $350k is minimum wage these days.

johnearljames
Club Player

https://www.afl.com.au/video/523178/fig ... PETITION:1

Watch this. So glad we might land this kid.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
saintkid
Club Player

johnearljames wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 8:31pm https://www.afl.com.au/video/523178/fig ... PETITION:1

Watch this. So glad we might land this kid.
Thanks. He is a beauty, so level headed, down to earth and determined to make his footy career count. Even keener on him being on our list now.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 9:22amNot sure why bringing Higgins in and retaining Lonie are mutually exclusive.
Just further to this point - if you look at the heatmaps for Higgins and Lonie (under the stats tab), it's pretty clear that Higgins roams a lot more than Lonie does. I'm not saying Higgins couldn't do what Lonie does, but, right now, he plays a different role.

I'm seeing Higgins as less of a replacement for an existing forward than a backup plan for Caldwell. Bring in a long-term player who can contribute to the midfield rotations right away. Unlike Caldwell, he's absolutely destroyed all the lower levels he's played at. Supposedly, Higgins was kicking bags in the scratch matches, Richmond just couldn't work him back into their side.

I don't want to get too excited, since most of the trade period banter is hot air. So, the lid is on, for now.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Just watched the video what a sensational young man. No matter where he plays next year I wish him all the best for the future!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 9:36pm Just watched the video what a sensational young man. No matter where he plays next year I wish him all the best for the future!
Well said Impatient. He's a cracking young lad who appears well liked by his team mates. In fact he's the type of bloke, once jettisoned, can cause the club he left to implode. This is Richmond's next sliding door moment, let's hope we can take advantage.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote: Wed 28 Oct 2020 1:45pm Loved The Eagle Has Landed
Preferred A Prayer For The Dying myself.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 28 Oct 2020 10:16pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Wed 28 Oct 2020 2:39pm https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=C&type=A

Higgins is statistically better than Lonie, taller, weighs more and is 3 yrs younger.

How do ya reckon a 1st round pick slips to us? What we giving to get him?
Yeah, but how come Richmond don’t want him?

Cut to the chase.

Why?

Lonie had a standout year too and was pretty decent (still is) for a while after.

Right about stats,

2020 aver

Higgins 15+
Lonie 10+
Kent 9+

Don’t know about field time for each.

A few things:
1. Did you look at career stats? Higgins blows Lonie away.
2. Tigers i.e. any AFL club take a risk with Higgins
He has a genetic condition called Intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH), also known as cerebral bleed, is a type of intracranial bleed that occurs within the brain tissue or ventricles. Basically his blood vessels can weaken and burst, causing localised bleeding in his brain. Symptoms range from blurry vision and migraines to the rare - death. This will not go away. Its incurable but also may never reoccur in this severity again.

3. In his 1st season he won goal of the year, came in 4th in best and fairest. In 2019 he was off like a rocket, but like Paddy boy he lied and covered up the severity of his worsening condition and as the season wore on his blurred vision netted less and less goals until he was dropped and then treated.

He could be the next Milne, he's that smart, skilled and hungry like a ferret.

But he could fall over dead as well.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Can Higgins bring that?

He's on a tad more than $350. I heard $450. Still not bad. Richmond need salary cap breathing room thusly words upon the street say they'd go a early 2nd round pick for him. I can't believe a 1st round pick with a potentially deadly brain bleed condition could go so cheap......

saintbob
SS Life Member

Any news?

Saintmike65
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Wed 28 Oct 2020 2:38pm Can Higgins spend time in the midfield?

If so, he is an upgrade.

Jack Higgins is clearly an upgrade on Lonie, Kent & Hind, yes he is a very capable midfielder.
He Has the highest recorded champion data rating ever in a draft year, played predominantly as a mid that year.
Although only 178cm, he is solidly built, has footy smarts, and has a high energy effervescence that our fans & players will love.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Before his operation Higgins reminded me of Gresham. Seemed to make things happen. Imagine having two of them in your side, plus Butler, at the feet of King, Membrey and Battle.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Nobody concerned about his condition?
After Paddy, Roberton, Kobe Stevens, Freeman and Hanneberry you'd reckon we'd be somewhat gun shy of blokes with pre-existing problems!

avid
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 9:27pm Nobody concerned about his condition?
After Paddy, Roberton, Kobe Stevens, Freeman and Hanneberry you'd reckon we'd be somewhat gun shy of blokes with pre-existing problems!
Surely one of them will work.