Ratts v Richo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ratts v Richo

B.M wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 11:33am Not sure if he likes him or not - irrelevant

But he obviously thinks he’s lacking something as a key defender

Clearly he's a proven performer but we now can safely assume its either attitude or an injury they are keeping very quiet.

The Billings Method
Club Player

It was just a few weeks ago that our recruiters were all geniuses who had but a list that ran so deep, we were capable of beating GWS on their home turf with 9 of our best 22 missing.

Two weeks later, they're all hopeless. Win this week and we're all back in Mensa. That's footy!

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 12:42pm

Clearly he's a proven performer but we now can safely assume its either attitude or an injury they are keeping very quiet.
I would say injury and he's not the only one.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 1:49pm

I'm led to believe it's more to do with Jake's ability to perform under the gameplan we want to play.
He's now considered too slow to hold down CHB and is being tried as an alternate ruckman.
Attitude is certainly not the issue.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 1:58pm
saynta wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 1:49pm

I'm led to believe it's more to do with Jake's ability to perform under the gameplan we want to play.
He's now considered too slow to hold down CHB and is being tried as an alternate ruckman.
Attitude is certainly not the issue.
Unlike that young whippet Frawley..?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Despite the dreadful result against Essendon last week, and poor effort against Melbourne before that, I do not think this diminishes Brett Ratten's standing as a good coach.

St Kilda is not the first team, nor will it be the last that has hit a sudden and inexplicable slump in form, it happens to the best of them, and because it involved so many players, I would not have thought that there will be many, if any, but compulsory changes in the team selected to play the Eagles on Saturday. The selectors will be primarily focussed on the best match-ups.

For this reason I would be surprised if Brad Hill is dropped, nor any of the other dozen or more that had shockers.

The thing about Brett Ratten's coaching style is that he has graduated from the Clarkson School and I expect he will have adopted much of what "the Master" demonstrated in that period when Hawthorn won a number of premierships.

It's only 3 rounds into the 22 round season so it is quite premature to throw in the towel - in 2010 Hawthorn won the 1st round game against Melbourne by 56 points, only to lose the next 6 games straight, yet finished the year in the top 8.

Pre-season form gives me confidence that the team is capable of getting back on track, especially when Marshall and Ryder are back in the team.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saynta wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 11:28am
WellardSaint wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 12:27am Ratts doesn't like Jake. For whatever reason.
But the other lazy ones all get a free pass?
See, he *can* drop a guy to send a message.
But he's selective.
Man up, Ratts, drop Butler, Lonie, Hill, Sinclair...
Not just Jake.
Make a damn statement
Did Ratts tell you he doesn't like Jake or is that just your opinion based on the crap that has been posted on this forum?

You are posting rumours as fact imhfo.
It's my opinion based on the fact that he played Hunter and McKernan instead of Jake, who has a lot more talent

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It’s up to Jake to display behaviours and turn up with the right attitude and perform and be a role model at training and on match day

Do that and your coach will not drop you. Ratts has to make decisions for the long term benefit of the whole team

If Ratts treats him a bit tougher than others, then that is the prerogative of the coach. That’s why he’s been appointed senior coach.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Lots of assumptions being made here with very few real facts.
None of us know exactly what is going on with Jake and selection in the team.
Maybe one of the insiders could enlighten us?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 12:10am Ask some of the players what they thought of Richo.
Great coaching today from Ratts. Not sure about the inside game day tactics, but I did hear Brett speak at half time and I was surprised how calm and how measured he was. He was highlighting our strengths and highlighting the positives to take from the first half

If that was Richo, he would have been focussing on what they did wrong and mistakes and turnovers.

We obviously had some wins in certain areas of the game even though we were down on the scoreboard. The coach showed faith in his team. The boys had faith in their coach and the result is a 58 point turnaround.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Well I for one hope Carlisle stays in the team

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Clearly Carlisle has been building up his legs for the 2nd ruck position.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 8:13am
Scollop wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021 11:09pm
B.M wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021 9:45pm Do you reckon with the list and injuries we had we underperformed from 13-18
So...let’s dissect and anaylyse and compare the Saints list from 13-18 against the Blues list from 07-12....Or let’s not!!

Bottom line is that Carlton were rebuilding under Ratts and so were we under Cho. Ratten made finals. Cho didn’t.

When you have a coach for as long as we had Cho, you cannot hide or escape from the disaster that unfolded in 2018. Richo needs to own it.

The Richo fans need to understand that his record speaks for itself.

What was that win loss ration again?
A touch above Ratts' win loss for this year.

Ratts enjoyed a very good honeymoon year last year during the artificial covid season, surprising the comp with a new game plan, although it seemed to "run out of puff" somewhat towards the end of the year as teams found solutions to negate it. A very good Ryder inspired finals win though.

Still, Ratt's is a better coach (he is, isn't he?), has better coaching support, and a better playing list, so I'm hopeful he can get his win loss back towards 50% this year. Really needs to win at least one of the next three though. Finals unlikely it would seem, probably much the same as 2016 and 2017 under Richo.

Over to you, Ratts.
Ratts will keep delivering due to his positivity. He will surprise with young players developing under him and mature players improving under him. He will surprise with new leaders (just like he did with a new captain for 2021) and he will surprise with more finals.

Fancy calling a team that wins at the pointy end of the year as ‘running out of puff’ and having a surprise win.

By the way, how many times did Cho coached teams turn things around when they were over 5 goals down?

If you subscribe to the Hun you can access the below news story from a few days ago which has Ed Langdon speaking about someone who he thinks has made a big difference to the Demons since he joined the club.

I can’t access it. I wonder if it’s Richo he’s talking about

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... prhesrQuQl
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 12 Apr 2021 10:24am, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021 10:16am
B.M wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021 9:45pm Do you reckon with the list and injuries we had we underperformed from 13-18
So...let’s dissect and anaylyse and compare the Saints list from 13-18 against the Blues list from 07-12....Or let’s not!!

Bottom line is that Carlton were rebuilding under Ratts and so were we under Cho. Ratten made finals. Cho didn’t.

When you have a coach for as long as we had Cho, you cannot hide or escape from the disaster that unfolded in 2018. Richo needs to own it.

Ratts enjoyed a very good honeymoon year last year during the artificial covid season, surprising the comp with a new game plan, although it seemed to "run out of puff" somewhat towards the end of the year as teams found solutions to negate it. A very good Ryder inspired finals win though.

Still, Ratt's is a better coach (he is, isn't he?), has better coaching support, and a better playing list, so I'm hopeful he can get his win loss back towards 50% this year. Really needs to win at least one of the next three though. Finals unlikely it would seem, probably much the same as 2016 and 2017 under Richo.

Over to you, Ratts.
Ratts delivered and he will keep delivering.

By the way, how many times did Cho coached teams turn things around when they were over 5 goals down?

If you subscribe to the Hun you can access the below news story from a few days ago which has Ed Langdon speaking about someone who he thinks has made a big difference to the Demons since he joined the club.

No. Certainly not. Choco Williams.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021 10:21am

Over to you, Ratts.

I already knew the answer saynta :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021 10:25am
saynta wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021 10:21am

Over to you, Ratts.

I already knew the answer saynta :wink:
8-)

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Rebuilding has a lot more to do with drafting and trading, so therefore the list management group than coaching IMO

We nail the 2013, 2014 drafts we rise up the ladder

We did not

Had we drafted Bontempelli and Petracca
would we be in a different position now??

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021 4:52pm Rebuilding has a lot more to do with drafting and trading, so therefore the list management group than coaching IMO

We nail the 2013, 2014 drafts we rise up the ladder

We did not

Had we drafted Bontempelli and Petracca
would we be in a different position now??
f*** yeah. Although , I think Petracca is a nob and someone not easy to like.

takeaway
Club Player

Over to you, Ratts.
Ratts will keep delivering due to his positivity. He will surprise with young players developing under him and mature players improving under him. He will surprise with new leaders (just like he did with a new captain for 2021) and he will surprise with more finals.

Fancy calling a team that wins at the pointy end of the year as ‘running out of puff’ and having a surprise win.

I stand by my comments above. Last year - 2nd on the ladder after 10 rounds, down to 7th with one round to go, needing to win well to consolidate finals. Hardly storming home in the latter part of the year!!! Without Ryder we would not have won a final.

Good win last week, credit to Ratts, coaching staff & the players. (It's not just the coach, you know). You seem to know a lot about Ratts and his imminent surprises. Amazing insight - did you get that from the Hun? Let's hope for once you are right!

Going by Saynta's post, it is Choco that Ed Langdon likes. That nails it - Choco is a great Assistant Coach! Good appointment by Richo. Subscribe to the Hun? No thanks, I can't tell which way is the right way up when trying to read it.