Question about King?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Question about King?

I saw King kick a beautiful field pass to Butler late in the second quarter. A minute later he shanked a shot at goal. The field pass came after a loose ground ball, which he picked up cleanly and then made a good decision with traffic bearing down and it was to the advantage of his team mate.

Butler missed so the ball was kicked in and we managed to win the footy in the centre and Seb hit King lace out with a Banger Harvey short little pass.

I saw Max looking up and it seemed like he was looking at the goals or in the centre of the goals. Classic mistake when taking a set shot. You’re not kicking at the goals or at the centre of the goals. You need to target something that is behind the goals. Pretend like you’re kicking it to a stationary team mate. Pretend like it’s a field kick and I bet you 8 or 9 times out of ten you’ll nail it.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 02 May 2021 10:52am I saw King kick a beautiful field pass to Butler late in the second quarter. A minute later he shanked a shot at goal. The field pass came after a loose ground ball, which he picked up cleanly and then made a good decision with traffic bearing down and it was to the advantage of his team mate.

Butler missed so the ball was kicked in and we managed to win the footy in the centre and Seb hit King lace out with a Banger Harvey short little pass.

I saw Max looking up and it seemed like he was looking at the goals or in the centre of the goals. Classic mistake when taking a set shot. You’re not kicking at the goals or at the centre of the goals. You need to target something that is behind the goals. Pretend like you’re kicking it to a stationary team mate. Pretend like it’s a field kick and I bet you 8 or 9 times out of ten you’ll nail it.
How can you look passed the goals without looking at the goals?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Watch Jack Riewoldt kick. He knows his technique and has mastered his ball drop. He has a quick glance up at the goal then focuses on his mark. Its all about rhythm. Keep your head down and focus on your ball drop.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

As you say, it’s the ball drop that’s critical, but he’s got to get into a rhythm and visualise that pill hitting a target behind the goals ...and he’s got to smile more and have some fun.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 02 May 2021 11:12am Watch Jack Riewoldt kick. He knows his technique and has mastered his ball drop. He has a quick glance up at the goal then focuses on his mark. Its all about rhythm. Keep your head down and focus on your ball drop.
Members also has a very good kicking technique - all focus on the ball and the drop. Check out any of Lockett's kicks for a guide - copybook perfect. He even did the same technique if he was 8 metres directly in front.
Not worried about Max - and Roo didn't set the world on fire in his first 30 games and played a lot at CHB. You can look up his stats, but his marks were excellent - and mostly uncontested up the ground. King does need to lead much more though! Good game yesterday.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 02 May 2021 11:07am
Scollop wrote: Sun 02 May 2021 10:52am I saw King kick a beautiful field pass to Butler late in the second quarter. A minute later he shanked a shot at goal. The field pass came after a loose ground ball, which he picked up cleanly and then made a good decision with traffic bearing down and it was to the advantage of his team mate.

How can you look passed the goals without looking at the goals?
He needs to focus on a specific target ...hone in on the spot in the crowd or the signage in the stands that you want to hit and don’t just look at the two bloody posts.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

His kicking for goal reminds me of the previous #12, excellent field kick, poor set shot. He has two things to work on for the rest of this season & the ensuing pre season...one grab overhead marks & a simple set shot routine that does not change whether he's 15m out or 55m.
I am also confident that once his overhead marking becomes better, the pressure on his set shots will lessen. One feeds the other.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

King's ground ball skills are without peer for a big man in the AFL. Once he muscles up he will rip games to shreds.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Question may be only how many will he kick today and provide with assists/presence. No qualifying if.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 02 May 2021 11:49am His kicking for goal reminds me of the previous #12, excellent field kick, poor set shot...
Nick's set shots for goal were not poor - it's one of those myths that seem to gain traction over time. He was at the same level of accuracy (61%) as Wayne Carey and Stephen Kernahan, who both had similar stats. The most accurate kick was Plugger, with just under 70%. On the other hand, Max King has kicked 33 goals 31 behinds, for an accuracy of 52% - which is poor.

However, both Max and Nick have one characteristic in common when shooting for goal - confidence, or should I say a lack of confidence. For Nick, I can remember one moment in time back in 2009 - round 20 v Essendon. We had won 19 straight. Having been behind badly at three quarter time, we came home strongly and were three points down with seconds to play. Nick marked about 30 metres out on a 50 degree angle but on the "wrong" side for a right footer. However, very gettable. Now most of us who can't play have either dreamt of, or enacted in the local park, a scenario where we are less than goal down but with a kick after the siren to win it. The ultimate dream would be in a grand final. For some AFL players, they would relish the opportunity. On that day at Docklands ,when the siren went after Nick had marked, the look on his face said it all. He was never going to kick it - and he didn't - missing to the right by a fair margin.

Confidence doesn't necessarily mean the goal will be kicked - but it's a start. We saw that yesterday with Max. Being ten goals in front, he displayed a little confidence - cleanly picked up the ball and decided to snap rather than give off (there were options). He hit the top of the goal post - no shame in that. He is still young and with few games. Missing shots from 20 metres out, dead in front, is my concern. He has played enough footy not to do that. Whether it's technique or nerves, time will tell.

The Billings Method
Club Player

Max is a gun. He will be fine. Give the kid a break, as Alice Cooper famously sang.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Nick Riewoldt played for a long time. He is the first to admit that he had periods in his career where his kicking for goal was a problem.
King has played 24 games, missed over 2 years of footy and has had one complete preseason.
What was the question?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

How was Nick's kicking for goal in his first two years? He worked hard at different stages of his career to correct flaws in his kicking. Max needs to do the same. Their kicking for goal is comparable to games played.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

One of us needs to take a ride on this thing !!!

fair square scare any questions right out of ya

edit : or me !!
Last edited by asiu on Sun 02 May 2021 2:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

“a true evil genius
with the voice of a pre school teacher “

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
happy feet
Club Player

Give the kid a break. He is still learning the craft. I would rather have Max Kung than not have him. The O.P. Is way to critical and out of order.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

For those questioning Max v Ben King - an interesting comparison below:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Comparable stats for the twins, there's not a lot of difference.

Max to me looks to me a bit timid and lacking that precious quality: mongrel or a mean streak, so important in a big man playing full forward - Wayne Carey Jonathan Brown, Tex Walker, Josh Kennedy are prime examples.

It's still early days, but if I were his coach I'd change his training program to the following:

1. Daily 3 km time trials until he hits sub 10 minutes consistently, followed by 2 hours on weights in gym

2. Goal kicking practice for 1 hour every day

3. Watch endless sessions of champion full forwards highlights - Lockett, Dunstall, Carey, Brown, Kennedy

4. Engage Mick Malthouse, an old school hardnut coach, to strengthen his mental toughness and self belief.

I have often felt that Nick Riewoldt, good as he was, would have been an even better player if he'd been coached by Malthouse, something that Roo virtually implied after he retired when he said he always preferred a old school tough coach.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 02 May 2021 4:23pm For those questioning Max v Ben King - an interesting comparison below:

If I didn't know better, it's like they are twins.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 02 May 2021 6:27pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 02 May 2021 4:23pm For those questioning Max v Ben King - an interesting comparison below:

If I didn't know better, it's like they are twins.
Ha Ha - I see what you did there!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

re Kicking for goal.

Even when using a drop punt these days, along a 'linear' aim as opposed to an 'around-the-corner snap' the player swing out to arc their kicking leg. They don't walk in straight, so I don't know how they are aiming at some imaginary spot well beyond the goals anymore. Moreover, they allow for that little 'outswinger' and 'inswinger' to borrow cricket parlance, that their natural kick produces in addition to the wind.

So many moving parts!

Plugger was super accurate but even he'd miss a good 3/10 and he had oak tree legs.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

20% technique 80% above the shoulders

Will be fine

#1 Ryder fan
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Agree I saw that also. Plus to answer CQ question its just a matter of focus.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The interesting stat is goals and behinds accuracy

Max 1.4g 1.3b
Ben 1.6g 0.9b

So Ben is going around 66%
Max is going at 50%

I also reckon Max has a higher % of Contested Marks
And Ben would have a lot more marks on the lead.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 02 May 2021 8:47pm

Agree I saw that also. Plus to answer CQ question its just a matter of focus.
I didn't notice what you are discussing but how can either of you tell where his focus was. Im just curious, like if he was fixed on the goals, could he not be fixed on something beyond the goals. How can you tell what he saw or the depth of his vision?