Grant Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Grant Thomas

Champion players don't critise their coaches. Especially ones that kept playing them. Not if they want to remain in touch.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 6:17pm Champion players don't critise their coaches. Especially ones that kept playing them. Not if they want to remain in touch.
You’re an imbecile
From the mouth of one of our greatest ever and still you got your blinkers on???????
I mean who really cares
Riewoldt (and others are EFFUSIVE) in their Lyon praise.....doesn’t seem to ever mention GT in the same light....now I wonder why?????

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 6:07pm
markp wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 4:41pm
We lost to Adelaide in the last game and were killed in the last quarter which has now been explained. We were going to finish third no matter what.

Nick's description of Ross is not dissimilar to that I've heard of Allan Jeans.
Yep
Interesting more went on than what came out
I suspect Nettlefold had a bit of a hand in that stuff up....
Anyway the “GT” v Lyon as coach can be out to bed
Especially hearing Riewoldt talk of his ability of creating a high performance environment that granted may not be to everyone’s liking....he has a hard edge Ross
Wish our current bloke had a little more of it tbh

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 2:13pm
saynta wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 1:06pm
cwrcyn wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 12:44pm Matt Rendell said that sacking Grant Thomas cost St Kilda 3 premierships. I'm inclined to agree with him.

Me too. and for the record, Rendell was closer to the action than any of us and knew far more.
Absolute rubbish
I have spoken DIRECTLY to one of “GTs” previous assistants (who Lyon sacked btw)
His words ring in my ears “Grant Thomas farked your club”
You can ignore ...suggest I made it up cause it does t suit your agenda but this person was there in the box with Thomas during those years
Oh by the way ....he didn’t like Ross Lyon but said he’s the most meticulous coach re game day and planning he’s ever seen....strategy wise none were better and that’s why Lyon changed the way the game was played in 09 and why Malthouse and Pies copied him a year later
As Riewoldt recently said on Fox.....if Carlton get Lyon ....knowing they leak goals on transition..,,they won’t even be starts
Smart play by Lyon too .....Carlton have a talented list ...
BTW GT is never even mentioned (except here by his disciples) for his coaching prowess
Funny about that, Teflon. Disgruntled employees usually don't have anything nice to say about you, particularly after you have sacked them. I'm pretty sure it was either Mick McGuanne or Terry Daniher that you are referring to.

Grant did some good things. He made a lot of mistakes too. But would have Chris Connolly been any better?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Most people would know and concede Ross could coach.

His departure set us back 10 years

But there should also be concession that GT had good attributes as well, and was probably better in player development.

Interested to hear Luke Ball’s take on Ross

Or Armo’s

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 7:35pm Most people would know and concede Ross could coach.

But there should also be concession that GT had good attributes as well, and was probably better in player development.

Or Armo’s
It wasn't the departure that set us back, though that was terrible management. Lyon would have got us in the finals in 2012 and would have struggled after that. He saw the writing on the wall and he had that offer.

It was the following 2 appointments that were horrible. Waters was a disaster because he was a tyrant who refused to bide his time and gain player support plus he just couldn't coach and then wouldn't tank. Richo looked like he was going to work at stages but he was no good as well.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 7:18pm
saynta wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 6:17pm Champion players don't critise their coaches. Especially ones that kept playing them. Not if they want to remain in touch.
You’re an imbecile
From the mouth of one of our greatest ever and still you got your blinkers on???????
I mean who really cares
Riewoldt (and others are EFFUSIVE) in their Lyon praise.....doesn’t seem to ever mention GT in the same light....now I wonder why?????
I didn't watch the video.

No interest to do so.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 7:35pm Most people would know and concede Ross could coach.

Or Armo’s
Or Max's. Can't stand the lying creep. Never going to change my opinion either. The prick cost us at least one flag.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 7:22pm
cwrcyn wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 12:44pm Matt Rendell said that sacking Grant Thomas cost St Kilda 3 premierships. I'm inclined to agree with him.

Me too. and for the record, Rendell was closer to the action than any of us and knew far more.
Absolute rubbish
I have spoken DIRECTLY to one of “GTs” previous assistants (who Lyon sacked btw)
You can ignore ...suggest I made it up cause it does t suit your agenda but this person was there in the box with Thomas during those years
Oh by the way ....he didn’t like Ross Lyon but said he’s the most meticulous coach re game day and planning he’s ever seen....strategy wise none were better and that’s why Lyon changed the way the game was played in 09 and why Malthouse and Pies copied him a year later
As Riewoldt recently said on Fox.....if Carlton get Lyon ....knowing they leak goals on transition..,,they won’t even be starts
BTW GT is never even mentioned (except here by his disciples) for his coaching prowess
Funny about that, Teflon. Disgruntled employees usually don't have anything nice to say about you, particularly after you have sacked them. I'm pretty sure it was either Mick McGuanne or Terry Daniher that you are referring to.

Grant did some good things. He made a lot of mistakes too. But would have Chris Connolly been any better?
Good post mate. Who the f*** would take the word of a sacked f****** assistant coach. Not me.

They get sacked for a reason.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Nick Maguane is a mess!!!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 8:12pm Nick Maguane is a mess!!!
His brother Mick is not much better.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
supersaints2
Club Player

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 10:55pm
supersaints2 wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 10:11pm Whatever opinion you have about GT he is likely the of the most loyal Saints ever.
I was told back on those days by some people who were more than ITK...
He broke Barkers nose after finding TB in a very compromising position with GT,s then Fiancée on a bench press in St Kilda gym.
GT was given his marching orders and traded to North Melbourne (At the time if I recall ..he was state rep CHB and a very decent player ).
It was reported by the club that TB broke his nose in a cricket match .
GT was a very, very family guy with morals that would outstrip most people ...He told Butters on numerous occasions , he would tell Butters wife about the current affair he was having unless he stopped it.. Hence the fall out ... I never was told anything about the money loans ( but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen)
It would not surprise me in the slightest that GT May look to help out the club..
It is actually my opinion, not whatever my opinion because that makes your opinion the only one. Which It's not. Yours is the beautiful legacy GT would enjoy having. Mine's the not so beautiful. Only GT & those one degree separated truly know.

I believe he errs on the side of the not quite righteous, you believe he's righteous. Enjoy the cordial, I'll pass.
[/quote

I don’t drink cordial, I never said my opinion Was the only one ? That’s your interpretation of my interactions with him
You said that .. I respect everyone’s opinion .

The point I’m making ( or trying to make ) is that he does have high morals and he expects all those around him to have similar values .. A weakness as well as a strength ..there is a huge difference ,
I have seen GT pissed on several occasions and was in the same group ..( probably more pissed than he was !
. He never had a problem with anyone having a good time ... but he believed that cheating on your wife ... bringing your latest tart to official functions was beyond acceptable behaviour..
I never saw him do any drugs ( that doesn’t mean he never did .. let me know if you know something different ... ( I’m interested ). At least he didn’t snort lines in public like his friend .. and they were very best mates ..
I’ve never said he was a saviour or a fantastic coach ... I’ve said he was an excellent clubman
He bled Red white and black ... maybe that was his Achilles heel

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I remember him coming on here one night, obviously slightly inebriated.

I never said he didn't drink only that he didn't approve of his married friend fornicating with some tart under the influence of cocaine and booze.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 22 Aug 2021 11:55am, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Grant was always aware of his strengths and weaknesses that's why he had Matt Rendell as his right hand man.

They were a team that complimented each other, Grant explained that when he was coach, not sure why that gets ignored.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough ss2, they are your stories, like mine, which I'll keep to myself, they are all hearsay. I don't doubt the alcohol issue, nor do I begrudge it.

What I'm not a fan of and it's something that I don't like about Andrew Rule's "stories" is that the name of a dead man is used to justify a story. A person who cannot deny or justify or protect his name. Yet, with Rule, there are plenty alive that he chooses not to speak of.

Secondly, this is not you ss2, I'm not a fan of people using a man's atonement for his drug & alcohol abuse against him. Pretty raw, pretty honest stuff. What people fail to acknowledge is that RB has chosen not to dob or drag others in to his past excesses. I'm sure there were plenty, the hangers on, the party boys and those who took advantage of him. He's not dob any in.

You paint a picture of GT that I don't recognise. He was an honest, strong CHB, could play. What is interesting is that he's been through St Kilda, North Melbourne, Fitzroy, Old Xavs, Warnambool, North (again) & St Kilda again. None ever really ended on the best of terms, TB & RB were only there for the times he was at St Kilda, what happened at the other clubs?

Good on him if he's not a womaniser, very noble. Just seems that when history gets written, perhaps a little from column A and a little from column B is always closer to the truth when it comes to accuracy.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 7:52pm
You’re an imbecile
I mean who really cares

No interest to do so.
Ofcourse you wouldn’t doesn’t suit your made up stories
Never mind .... what would Roo know compared to you hey??

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Absolute rubbish

So I’ll try abs type slower ...
Nothing to do with McGuane or Daniher
The guy was a GT assistant SACKED by Ross Lyon (ought to narrow the field..)
And still felt Lyon was a superb coach abs Thomas was destroying the club
I don’t think any of that aligns with your disgruntled theory

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 9:48pm Fair enough ss2, they are your stories, like mine, which I'll keep to myself, they are all hearsay. I don't doubt the alcohol issue, nor do I begrudge it.

What I'm not a fan of and it's something that I don't like about Andrew Rule's "stories" is that the name of a dead man is used to justify a story. A person who cannot deny or justify or protect his name. Yet, with Rule, there are plenty alive that he chooses not to speak of.

Secondly, this is not you ss2, I'm not a fan of people using a man's atonement for his drug & alcohol abuse against him. Pretty raw, pretty honest stuff. What people fail to acknowledge is that RB has chosen not to dob or drag others in to his past excesses. I'm sure there were plenty, the hangers on, the party boys and those who took advantage of him. He's not dob any in.

You paint a picture of GT that I don't recognise. He was an honest, strong CHB, could play. What is interesting is that he's been through St Kilda, North Melbourne, Fitzroy, Old Xavs, Warnambool, North (again) & St Kilda again. None ever really ended on the best of terms, TB & RB were only there for the times he was at St Kilda, what happened at the other clubs?

Good on him if he's not a womaniser, very noble. Just seems that when history gets written, perhaps a little from column A and a little from column B is always closer to the truth when it comes to accuracy.
That’s a superb post.
Grubs in the gutter to put shyte on Butters but he’s owned his mistakes
I know Thomas never has , took RB’s money then decided it was a gift ($1m....just a gift???)
Then he sued the club wanting his leave pay that he’d already previously waived ....now there’s a scumbag
And yep was turfed out of North for knifing as Schimelbush
He’s NEVER coached again - why?????
Lyon would’ve taken us to a flag and made us professional (as Riewoldt said) had he had thst list....
Again Thomas’s own assistants shyte can him....why?????
So many gullible people just buy the corporate KPI spin
I respect Butters for at least having the decency to keep his mouth shut....I’m sure he too could say plenty about his so called “mate “

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Rock or Barker

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 9:53pm

Absolute rubbish

So I’ll try abs type slower ...
Nothing to do with McGuane or Daniher
The guy was a GT assistant SACKED by Ross Lyon (ought to narrow the field..)
And still felt Lyon was a superb coach abs Thomas was destroying the club
I don’t think any of that aligns with your disgruntled theory
No reason to respond that way.

Anyway, it's just one opinion.

Whatever!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 10:03pmRock or Barker
I'm pretty sure both of them were appointed by Ross.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You’re an imbecile
I mean who really cares

No interest to do so.
I think people conveniently forget that Roo was traumatised with the fact that the club had sacked Grant. His heart was telling him at the time that it was the wrong decision, but his mind…and his mentors (and Grant was one of them) helped him to move on and don’t look in the rear vision mirror.

Roo was also appointed sole captain by Ross Lyon. The only way forward was to convince himself that the right decision had been made (and it was his job to convince his team mates) so that they could collectively achieve their potential….

But was it the right decision? Grant Thomas created the foundations. He helped bond a young group of draftees and helped create leaders and stars of the game. Staying together as a unit was key to the group striving for the ultimate success for the St Kilda Football club.

Did they achieve their potential? Did that young group of draftees have every opportunity? Well…I suppose if you want to hang your hat on 19 wins in a row, then yes they were awesome and Ross certainly will be remembered for that McLennan trophy in 2009

What did the new coach in Ross Lyon teach his players when he started discarding guys like Xman and Goose in 2008/2009? And then the following year…we lost a former captain in Luke Ball

People seem to think that if you’re a great player or a champion athlete that somehow qualifies you as an intellectual of some sort. Last time I checked his bio they didn’t list Roo as a Rhodes Scholar

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

😁

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

After 2004-2006, that list was spent. The valid question IMO is what would a GT reload look like.

Given the core of the list that challenged in 09-11 was there in 06... it’s fair to say that a GT led team would have at least played finals and gone deep.

Id have liked to have seen what he learned, would he have adapted and what that would have looked like.

Think he deserved that opportunity

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 11:15pm
You’re an imbecile
I mean who really cares

No interest to do so.
I think people conveniently forget that Roo was traumatised with the fact that the club had sacked Grant. His heart was telling him at the time that it was the wrong decision, but his mind…and his mentors (and Grant was one of them) helped him to move on and don’t look in the rear vision mirror.

Roo was also appointed sole captain by Ross Lyon. The only way forward was to convince himself that the right decision had been made (and it was his job to convince his team mates) so that they could collectively achieve their potential….

But was it the right decision? Grant Thomas created the foundations. He helped bond a young group of draftees and helped create leaders and stars of the game. Staying together as a unit was key to the group striving for the ultimate success for the St Kilda Football club.

Did they achieve their potential? Did that young group of draftees have every opportunity? Well…I suppose if you want to hang your hat on 19 wins in a row, then yes they were awesome and Ross certainly will be remembered for that McLennan trophy in 2009

What did the new coach in Ross Lyon teach his players when he started discarding guys like Xman and Goose in 2008/2009? And then the following year…we lost a former captain in Luke Ball

People seem to think that if you’re a great player or a champion athlete that somehow qualifies you as an intellectual of some sort. Last time I checked his bio they didn’t list Roo as a Rhodes Scholar
LMAO
So now Nick Riewoldt is just a dumb , brainwashed Ross Lyon puppet
This just gets better ...
What’s next...grassy knoll??

“Yeah….nah””