Assistant Coaches

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Assistant Coaches

tony74 wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 11:56am I will always support everyone involved at the club. I am part of the club. Two assistants have already been moved on. That doesn’t mean they weren’t doing their job, it just means it’s time for new blood. I repeat I will always support everyone at the club, I make no apologies about that. Even 4 time premiership coaches get moved on.
Thanks Tony. I think what people need to understand that when talking about a football club at the time things can be happening but then change course for what ever reason. Doesn't mean a person is wrong.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintDippa
Club Player

Is it just me or do others don't get the whole segregation of defensive, mid and forward coaches?
The game today is about winning clearance, winning at contest, upfield structures, space creation, ball movement systems and strategies and targeted f50 entries. Defense to mid, mid to f50.
When opposition have the footy its about slowing the movement, zoning, legal blocking, structures/cluster positioning behind the footy and transition when we turnover.
If we can't get Clarko then Ratts needs two assistances poached from any of the top 4 sides experienced in getting the footy and moving it quick or 2020's defending.
+1 for opposition research.
Last edited by SaintDippa on Mon 23 Aug 2021 12:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 11:56am I will always support everyone involved at the club. I am part of the club. Two assistants have already been moved on. That doesn’t mean they weren’t doing their job, it just means it’s time for new blood. I repeat I will always support everyone at the club, I make no apologies about that. Even 4 time premiership coaches get moved on.
Thanks for the response.

I understand your response/s but your inferences mid year were very different. In any event coaching is like most things in life it comes with an expiry date, even at amateur level its very demanding and taxing on the individuals. So I understand your support for those leaving.

Hopefully the club has some high quality replacements targetted?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

We have one. I hope he comes

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Tony

If you didn’t just ‘support’ whoever works at the club, regardless of performance and gave an honest opinion, maybe you would be more credible.

This is a place people air THEIR views, not necessarily the clubs views!

You seem conflicted in your views?!

BTW - I enjoy your input regardless

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 1:03pm Maybe Tony

If you didn’t just ‘support’ whoever works at the club, regardless of performance and gave an honest opinion, maybe you would be more credible.

This is a place people air THEIR views, not necessarily the clubs views!

You seem conflicted in your views?!

BTW - I enjoy your input regardless
Where is this written in the rules?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s a forum

A place where people express their views

It’s not a place where you sell the club to its members
That’d be Saints.com.au

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 1:11pm It’s a forum

A place where people express their views

It’s not a place where you sell the club to its members
That’d be Saints.com.au
Again he can post what he wants.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Of course he can

I didn’t say he couldnt

His info is much appreciated

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 9:12pm
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 8:50pm Lenny hayes.

Though he'll more likely be at Lyon's side guiding the Blues into a GF within two years.
That would seriously piss me off
you worried that Lyon will get another runners-up trophy?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I have a couple of friends who are blues supporters. They are not happy that the tosser is being talked up as a coach of their side. Would be a very unpopular move according to them.

Lyin is not universally well liked it would appear.If you want to be an assistant coach Lenny, then come home.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Interesting they are reporting Hornsby was sacked. I wonder if Lethlean & Ratten etc like many of us believed the list was under prepared fitness wise at the start of the year?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Another link to the departing assistants stories.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/670095/sain ... -departing

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 1:33pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 9:12pm
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 8:50pm Lenny hayes.

Though he'll more likely be at Lyon's side guiding the Blues into a GF within two years.
That would seriously piss me off
you worried that Lyon will get another runners-up trophy?
Good luck with that. Rossy’s getting desperate. He’ll take whatever coaching role is offered

It’s a totally different situation with Carlton. The expectation is that they will play finals but the players they have on their list at the moment haven’t even got close. At least the Saints and the Dockers had proven finals worthy teams

With the Saints he secured the job as head coach with a list that had already played off in TWO back to back prelims ( yes 2 prelim finals and 3 years in a row as finalists). Same with the Dockers. Their young group had already shown they were capable with good wins in a couple of finals in 2010 and they still had players from their prelim final from 2006.

The flosserfucker is a real good chance to destroy his win loss record in finals. His overall home and away record will take a hit too if he gets the Carlton gig

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 2:42am
tony74 wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 6:48pm I’ll put up with a lot of criticism of our club on this forum but some of the vitriol and untruths written about our assistants are not on.
No.1. Often the players who have not excelled at the highest level are often the best tacticians ( they have had to use every single thing they can find to play the game at any level)
No.2 . Often the elite players are the worst coaches ( basically because everything came naturally to them as players)
No.3. Unless you have been to training multiple times don’t believe what the website tells you on each coaches role, most of you are way off
No.4. The assistant coaches some of you are potting have been with the club for quite a few years ( you don’t last long if you haven’t got the goods ) eg. Brereton, Dixon, Slater
No.5. There will be movement among the coaches but you know what most of them will get a gig somewhere else so they can’t be all bad ( every club needs new blood )
No. 6. Don’t bag them, they work damn damn hard ( and no I’m not one of them ) but I do watch them.

I'm sure you've got plenty of years watching the club dynamics...but your rant doesn't hold.

You last because you're good? Not at St Kilda....we have had a terrible coach AR with a shocking loss record, players that were so bad we just kept signing contracts with, AND asst coaches that players like but just fall short consistently.

You think Hamill's 4 years as forward coach propelled us upward?

How about his amazing record at Sandringham?
And then he's rewarded with the defense to coach...now this is where he should have been to start. He's done ok here but not incredible.

Lade in the middle....well either Ratts is responsible or it's Lade....or all the midfield....because we are terrible....those are facts not feelings.
I don't think Tony was ranting. Amazing that Saynta gets a 1 day ban reading the responses to Tony's comments from other posters were probably more deserving. It is obvious that both of them are truly supportive of our club. Not so sure about others, passion does not obviously translate to support.

Saint supporter since '62
happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 9:54pm All three need to go IMO

Need fresh ideas
Some one listening B.M . Good call.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Head of fitness moved on. Perhaps my suspicions of a failed pre-season were correct. It certainly looked like we were well down on the required fitness, particular in the first two thirds of the season. If we can get it right over summer it will make a hug difference.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Lade needs to go too

Only a contract saved him!!!

Change his role to Sandy Coach and Ruck Coach at Stk.

3 new line coaches!!!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 7:25pm Head of fitness moved on. Perhaps my suspicions of a failed pre-season were correct. It certainly looked like we were well down on the required fitness, particular in the first two thirds of the season. If we can get it right over summer it will make a hug difference.
Yep…for sure. We looked tired and weak at the end of quarters and games.

I just wonder whether the players were promised a relatively easy summer if they gave it everything in the hub? Totally speculative I know..

Anyway, we have learnt a lesson.. Now how will we respond?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Is the high performance cheif the fellow who had the team meditating on the field prior to the game and doing synchronised breathing at the breaks?

If so, good riddance.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

That’s Ben Robbins - sports psych

He’s highly regarded

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 7:36pm
cwrcyn wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 7:25pm Head of fitness moved on. Perhaps my suspicions of a failed pre-season were correct. It certainly looked like we were well down on the required fitness, particular in the first two thirds of the season. If we can get it right over summer it will make a hug difference.
Yep…for sure. We looked tired and weak at the end of quarters and games.

I just wonder whether the players were promised a relatively easy summer if they gave it everything in the hub? Totally speculative I know..

Anyway, we have learnt a lesson.. Now how will we respond?
Anybody notice Sharman at the end of 1st Qtr, leaning down, sucking in big gulps a la Banger?
No pre-season, perhaps that's a valid reason.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Did the breathing exercises not work?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 6:48pm I’ll put up with a lot of criticism of our club on this forum but some of the vitriol and untruths written about our assistants are not on.
No.1. Often the players who have not excelled at the highest level are often the best tacticians ( they have had to use every single thing they can find to play the game at any level)
No.2 . Often the elite players are the worst coaches ( basically because everything came naturally to them as players)
No.3. Unless you have been to training multiple times don’t believe what the website tells you on each coaches role, most of you are way off
No.4. The assistant coaches some of you are potting have been with the club for quite a few years ( you don’t last long if you haven’t got the goods ) eg. Brereton, Dixon, Slater
No.5. There will be movement among the coaches but you know what most of them will get a gig somewhere else so they can’t be all bad ( every club needs new blood )
No. 6. Don’t bag them, they work damn damn hard ( and no I’m not one of them ) but I do watch them.
How has Danny Sexton been able to still stay at the saints?