ASHES 21/22

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Re: ASHES 21/22

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 11 Dec 2021 2:21pm
roskilde wrote: Sat 11 Dec 2021 2:06pm 10 wicket victory is an absolute drubbing.

Well done Australia.

Edit: Totally jinxed them and spoke too soon. 9 wicket victory. My bad. :o
Total white wash, wasn’t it.

Didn’t think it would end any other way.

If there were a Perth test following this, I’d expect more of the same, but now I ask, do you think they can make a series of it?

I’m sure they’ll dignify the game by trying hard and consistently and they might pinch one test. Or am I imagining too much?

Broad, Anderson and Stokes all not firing. The others decent Shield level trundlers. Like a NZ team of the 70s. hahahahaha….it’s nice to be arrogant and cocky!,,,
I'll give England this like I said in the other thread I actually thought aside from Leach their bowling was pretty outstanding two days ago. If they keep bowling like that I think they'll have a bit of a chance.

Problem is we've got one of the best combined bowling attacks on their day that I can remember.

Carey, Green and Head feel like our Clarke, Sharman and King.

Just feel like if they can take the step up and dominate then we're looking at something special.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

A good one to win, better to be one up than one down.

I agree roskilde, a couple of the England bowlers looked quite good, namely Robinson & Wood. Add Anderson & Broad and it becomes a pretty fair attack.

The opening situation for both sides are equally poor. Australia now with a cloud over Warner evens things up.

Batting overall seems quite even, except the Australian tail can bat. A toss of the coin & a incorrect call seems the biggest difference.

Adelaide should be a beauty. The Poms may find trouble when a pitch screams for a spinner. A very pointed and effective attack by the Australians on their #1 spinner.

St Plugger
Club Player

The Day/Night Tests will give England a bit of a leg up, as they produce extra swing through the night air in evening session. Anderson ripped through Australia last time around and will now have the opportunity to do it all again in both Adelaide and Hobart. On balance though, Starc and now Green, can produce fast swing, so it wont be all one way traffic in this regard. The best strategy for winning is not loosing wickets and piling on the runs during the daytime sessions, and having both of them them in the bank for the evening sessions, so as to reduce the aftermath of the inevitable losses of wickets and lack of runs that will come then. The team that does that best will be the winners!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Mmm…
I better not call them pommy bowlers trundlers…
after reading what you said …and acknowledging that they were most decent…I’ll call ‘em dribblers..thanks Aka.

But I didnt consider the day/night bit .
Does the night factor mean that pace (we have three 140kmh + bowlers now plus Hazelwood, who isn’t such a swinger as a mechanical McGarth type) is not so much of a weapon?

So a sore Broad and Anderson, bowling disciplined and cleverly at 125-130 kmh, could still damage in the night air?

I suppose they drop Woakes..and the traditional Adelaide spin thing so no longer a factor with drop in pitches and night air? So they’ll drop Leach and Woakes …or keep Leach and play just Broad or Anderson but not both.

Should be interesting.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think the night sessions are overplayed by the media, trying to ramp the game up.

The Aussies ripped thru India last year in the blazing sun.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
St Plugger
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 12 Dec 2021 2:46pm I think the night sessions are overplayed by the media, trying to ramp the game up.

Last Ashes Series, Anderson had the ball on a string and looping around everywhere in the night sessions in Adelaide. Thats precisely why he and Broad were held back in the First Test, so they would be as fresh as possible going into this Test. La Nina has put a lot more moisture in the air, so a coolish evening will produce a damp outfield and plenty of "atmospherics" for swing bowling.
However, I don't think their planning factored in Cam Greens progress and how effective his swing has become. He'll be supporting Starcs' swing and may well become the first act!

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

It's time for smith to step up
He was outstanding in England two years ago but since then has been ordinary.
Averaging 38 with one century and a couple of fifties.
Probably more tired of hearing from the media about how effin good He is .

In red white and black from 73
St Plugger
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote: Sun 12 Dec 2021 4:40pm It's time for smith to step up
He was outstanding in England two years ago but since then has been ordinary.
Averaging 38 with one century and a couple of fifties.
Probably more tired of hearing from the media about how effin good He is .
Smith had something to prove then, but now he doesn't, so normal programming has been restored! Maybe his brief stint at the crease in Brisbane and being only a side act to Heads antics might get him up again. Both sides have had a few misfiring because of lack of conditioning. I can't see Smith not firing for the whole series.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

St Plugger wrote: Sun 12 Dec 2021 4:08pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 12 Dec 2021 2:46pm I think the night sessions are overplayed by the media, trying to ramp the game up.

Last Ashes Series, Anderson had the ball on a string and looping around everywhere in the night sessions in Adelaide. Thats precisely why he and Broad were held back in the First Test, so they would be as fresh as possible going into this Test. La Nina has put a lot more moisture in the air, so a coolish evening will produce a damp outfield and plenty of "atmospherics" for swing bowling.
However, I don't think their planning factored in Cam Greens progress and how effective his swing has become. He'll be supporting Starcs' swing and may well become the first act!
Totally agree but regardless of that Spanish fast bowler, La Nina, the toss will have a fair say in the result. Especially if the batting units are not up for the fight.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Anderson picked up 2 wickets under lights in the second innings, took most of his wickets in the daylight. Also took 1 wicket for 74 run in 31 overs in the first innings, hardly scary…

Warner also scored 335 there a few years back, so hardly a difficult place to bat under lights. I think if we had the ‘wickets by session’ stats for day/night tests it would look very different to how the media like to sell it.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 12 Dec 2021 9:34pm

Anderson picked up 2 wickets under lights in the second innings, took most of his wickets in the daylight. Also took 1 wicket for 74 run in 31 overs in the first innings, hardly scary…

Warner also scored 335 there a few years back, so hardly a difficult place to bat under lights. I think if we had the ‘wickets by session’ stats for day/night tests it would look very different to how the media like to sell it.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/aus- ... ts-1243832

Good article with stats about day/night tests.The last paragraph says,

"But the numbers don't show any major differences. At Adelaide Oval, as is the case with day-night cricket overall, the bowling strike rates are identical in the first, second and third sessions: 50.2, 52.48, and 52.56 respectively".

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Mon 13 Dec 2021 9:07am
The_Dud wrote: Sun 12 Dec 2021 9:34pm

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/aus- ... ts-1243832

Good article with stats about day/night tests.The last paragraph says,

"But the numbers don't show any major differences. At Adelaide Oval, as is the case with day-night cricket overall, the bowling strike rates are identical in the first, second and third sessions: 50.2, 52.48, and 52.56 respectively".
i think a quick bowler pushing 40 years of age will appreciate a bit of shade and night action.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yep thanks for finding that st.byron, like many things in life, the data doesn't support the perception.

And you are right Shane, their ageing 'saviours' might appreciate the cooler temperature!

It is also funny that the 2 blokes who are going to save the series for the Poms average 35 & 37 with strike rates of 72 & 75 in this country. Pretty intimidating numbers! :lol:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 13 Dec 2021 10:54am Yep thanks for finding that st.byron, like many things in life, the data doesn't support the perception.

And you are right Shane, their ageing 'saviours' might appreciate the cooler temperature!

It is also funny that the 2 blokes who are going to save the series for the Poms average 35 & 37 with strike rates of 72 & 75 in this country. Pretty intimidating numbers! :lol:
We will see.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 13 Dec 2021 11:07am, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 13 Dec 2021 10:54am Yep thanks for finding that st.byron, like many things in life, the data doesn't support the perception.

Didn't root just set a batting year record?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 13 Dec 2021 11:07am

yep. For the poms at least.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, my post might have been a bit confusing, those numbers are for Anderson and Broad with the ball, they're both mediocre at best in Australia.

Those numbers for an English batsmen would be fantastic with their current lineup! :D

And yeah, Root had a good year... for a Pom! Still hasn't managed a century down here yet tho.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 13 Dec 2021 12:17pm

Sorry, my post might have been a bit confusing, those numbers are for Anderson and Broad with the ball, they're both mediocre at best in Australia.

Those numbers for an English batsmen would be fantastic with their current lineup! :D

And yeah, Root had a good year... for a Pom! Still hasn't managed a century down here yet tho.
It' s hard to fathom, isn't it. A bit like the footy homeground advantage. I mean, why would pros at this level be any better or worse? Are batsman generally just in a pickle in England? All out for 300 in England is decent.

Wonder how many Poms improve their average after a tour of Australia?

The stats are socking..the homeground advantage is like the India/Pakitsan homeground thing way back in the 80s. We just assumed they doctored their pitches! lol

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Warner out as well as Hazlewood.
Khawaja to open with Harris. Richardson to play in place of Hazlewood.
Broad and Anderson to come in for England. Who will they leave out? Woakes and Leach maybe.
I just don't trust Australia's batsman, Labuschagne and Smith withstanding.
We shall see. Degree of dislike for Anderson and Broad high. Love seeing the Poms beaten. Love the crumpled expressions on their whiny little faces. May it be so. That's not a very nice sentiment is it? Too bad...

EDIT : The Age reporting that Warner will play. Hmmmmm....what's that thing about playing injured players. If Warner's fit enough to play, I think Khawaja should take Harris' place. Surely last chance for Harris.
Richardson also stiffens the tail a bit. 4 FC 50's and an average of 21.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Harris will get another go for no other reason than it's harder to get out of an Australian side than into one.

I think you're right St B, Woakes & Leach to make way for Anderson & Broad - if their over rate was slow enough to cost them 100% of their match fees in Brisbane, they'll have to pay to play in Adelaide. Root will have a lot of bowling to do.

Hard to see Warner playing, I think it will be a mistake, gives them two angles to bowl at, his ribs (struggling to breathe playing off back foot) & around the wicket at off stump - can see it ending in tears.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 15 Dec 2021 2:30pm Harris will get another go for no other reason than it's harder to get out of an Australian side than into one.

I think you're right St B, Woakes & Leach to make way for Anderson & Broad - if their over rate was slow enough to cost them 100% of their match fees in Brisbane, they'll have to pay to play in Adelaide. Root will have a lot of bowling to do.

Hard to see Warner playing, I think it will be a mistake, gives them two angles to bowl at, his ribs (struggling to breathe playing off back foot) & around the wicket at off stump - can see it ending in tears.
Yes I agree re Warner. Report in the news this morning said that he only hit throw downs in practice yesterday and was in obvious discomfort. Cummins interviewed saying, "he'll be right, he's tough". That's just stupid IMO. Playing an injured opening batsman who can't even have a hit in the nets.
Also said that Richardson had a long bowl in the nets and Neser didn't. Clearly he's in for Hazlewood.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

NO Cummins!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Pat Cummins has been ruled out of the second Test in Adelaide after being deemed a close contact of a person who tested positive to COVID-19 on Wednesday night, Cricket Australia has confirmed.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/12/16/ ... vid-scare/

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Surely that's the end of Harris, clearly not up to it!

CarlD
Club Player

I was surprised that Harris was selected for the First Test given his poor form leading in. The thinking of the Australian selectors remains a mystery.