Tsadis / Phillipou / McKenzie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Tsadis / Phillipou / McKenzie

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 24 Nov 2022 10:19am HS latest Phantom Draft has us taking Busslinger, the 196cm key defender from WA with MacKenzie ending up at West Coast at about Pick 14 or 15.

What have we got against midfielders with speed, good decision making and good disposal, especially if they are in our own backyard?
HS Phamtom Draft is just that GL, a phantom dream, would be very surprised if St Kilda don't target a promising mid, as they did in the 2001 draft, that's where the team is very light on for real talent. Don't mind any of Tsadis/Philipou or McKenzie, but if it was my call I'd pick Elijah Hewett, despite the fact he has not been invited to attend Monday night's 1st 20 selections event, could be as he's from WA and probably not the first time a FRDP wasn't there on the night:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/draft/ ... 0f2309a448

Hewett's highlights reel is impressive, I especially like his X-Factor quality of getting involved and his agression when he' s got the ball, an Excitement Machine that St Kilda could well do with next year.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/866982/cla ... 9057200001

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 24 Nov 2022 10:46am
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 24 Nov 2022 10:19am HS latest Phantom Draft has us taking Busslinger, the 196cm key defender from WA with MacKenzie ending up at West Coast at about Pick 14 or 15.

What have we got against midfielders with speed, good decision making and good disposal, especially if they are in our own backyard?
HS Phamtom Draft is just that GL, a phantom dream, would be very surprised if St Kilda don't target a promising mid, as they did in the 2001 draft, that's where the team is very light on for real talent. Don't mind any of Tsadis/Philipou or McKenzie, but if it was my call I'd pick Elijah Hewett, despite the fact he has not been invited to attend Monday night's 1st 20 selections event, could be as he's from WA and probably not the first time a FRDP wasn't there on the night:

Hewett's highlights reel is impressive, I especially like his X-Factor quality of getting involved and his agression when he' s got the ball, an Excitement Machine that St Kilda could well do with next year.

All that said Sanctorum, you had to go back to the 2001 draft (which we got outsmarted in) to find when we targeted a talented mid. Now you'd like us to ignore a quality midfielder in MacKenzie for a speculation pick on that mythical X factor? Aren't our X factors meant to be NWM, Gresham and Owens?

If Hewett is still available after pick 16 I suspect we may do a deal that may involve our future 2nd or a bundle of picks to move up to secure him.

We have some holes to fill but with pick 10 we must take best available, then decide on X factor v List Need.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

It’s all speculation and pros and cons for whomever we pick will be discussed. Busslinger looks good as a intercepting defender but we are more in need of a beast at the back so I’d be surprised if we pick him. Tsatsas is no chance of getting to us at ten in my opinion as he is too good which leaves phillipou or Mackenzie. So do we go a solid player who probably won’t be a game winner or chance our arm on one who may. Not sure which way we will go but one or both could be gone before pick 10 so who knows

Sanctorum
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 24 Nov 2022 11:04am
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 24 Nov 2022 10:46am

All that said Sanctorum, you had to go back to the 2001 draft (which we got outsmarted in) to find when we targeted a talented mid. Now you'd like us to ignore a quality midfielder in MacKenzie for a speculation pick on that mythical X factor? Aren't our X factors meant to be NWM, Gresham and Owens?

If Hewett is still available after pick 16 I suspect we may do a deal that may involve our future 2nd or a bundle of picks to move up to secure him.

We have some holes to fill but with pick 10 we must take best available, then decide on X factor v List Need.
You're probably right GL, the recruiters will probably go down that path and that's fine by me, it's just that "best available" is still only guesswork, educated perhaps, but a lot of players who turned out to be top 10 in the draft haven't lived up to those expectations:

https://www.zerohanger.com/the-success- ... afl-92075/

Similarly there have been a great many draftees rated 3rd or 4th round, even rookies, that have gone on to defy the so-called experts and gone on to long and successful careers.

I have always liked the motto: "who dares, wins"!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

IMO some years the draft crop are simply not as good as others, but in more recent years the science of selecting the right kids is pretty accurate. Some dont make it for differing reasons however it doesnt make them terrible picks at that time. The fact our history has been littered with bad luck or poor decisions makes it hard to trust our recruiters, but the current group are getting more right than wrong.

I am still sceptical re our development and the physical training side of the organisation. There is no way in this current era players like - Clark, Sharman, Allison, Byrnes, Billings, Howard, or King should lack physical conditioning. Too many of our players simply arent prepared well enough - strength wise IMO. Somewhere these lads need to be given a direction to get AFL dominant physiques they are well paid professional sportsman, but dont present that way.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Thu 24 Nov 2022 12:47pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I understand Sanctorum. I like that motto as well. No doubt we dare but I'm sick of losing instead of winning.

Top 10s are golden picks, a club like St Kilda cannot afford to stuff it up. We need to nail. We nailed last year's draft thanks to our NGA hand - I like the symmetry of MacKenzie and a little comfort.

D.J.H., I agree with your summation. Having Adams and now Cordy, it is hard to imagine we will spend a Top 10 pick on a 196cm interceptor. I think we will get that mid and it will be whoever is left.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum:
"I have always liked the motto: "who dares, wins"!"
sponsors law-
Who Dares wins - an ice coffee
Who CMCs gets - a capital gain
Who deliveroos - goes hungry

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Going by the highlights, any one of the midfield prospects mentioned in this thread would improve our forward 50 entries.

Saintmike65
Club Player

We have a few holes on our list..need a game changing mid, a strong one on one key back and a forward/ ruck (I love Jack Hayes as a forward but struggles at centre bounces as a ruck).
Phillipou, Keeler & Van Es would be an unbelievably good haul but unlikely.
If Tsatas, Phillipou and McKenzie are all taken by our pick, Ginbey or Hewitt may be taken by us.
Picks 5 - 12 are intriguing, as it’s common knowledge which will be taken but in what order nobody knows!!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

You are drafting a player for 12 years… and who is likely to take a few years to make a real impact

What we need right now is not that much of a consideration

Best available

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Fri 25 Nov 2022 6:39pm You are drafting a player for 12 years… and who is likely to take a few years to make a real impact

What we need right now is not that much of a consideration

Best available
I agree BM but best in who's eyes ?

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Twomey has us getting Phillipou and Hawthorn nabbing McKenzie

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I would rather McKenzie as Phillipou sounds like a FIGJAM . Hopefully McKenzie slides to us

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

https://www.afl.com.au/news/868281/cal- ... b-whispers

St Kilda whispers

Picks: 9, 28, 32, 47, 73, 81 (likely to use three or four selections)

The Saints are in the market for another earlier selection inside the top group, so could be active in pick swap discussions over the both nights. If they hold their picks where they are, their second pick will fall outside of the top-30. Darcy Jones has been looked at and plays a number of different positions, while the Saints have done their work on key forward Isaac Keeler. James Van Es as a key back could be around the mark of their second-round picks, as is the case with Max Gruzewski, and Lewis Hayes is a chance to be there too, while accumulating midfielder Jaxon Binns may also be a consideration. Goalkicker Jaiden Magor has attracted some attention and has an exciting skillset, while the Saints have nominated Next Generation Academy prospect Angus McLennan, who was overlooked last year but finished this season strongly with Sandringham after returning from injury. Archie Lovelock, a ball-winner from Glenelg, could be a rookie shot, with runner Caleb Mitchell also capturing some interest.

Also reported we are seriously trying to get an earlier pick in draft to take Coby Burgiel before WCE at their pick #26 or aka #29.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 9:03pm I would rather McKenzie as Phillipou sounds like a FIGJAM . Hopefully McKenzie slides to us
Tend to agree.

There appears to be 3 clubs that could take Phillipou. He's gushed over Essendon and Hawthorn, big clubs, big games etc but I've not seen / heard him say anything about St Kilda.

I suspect it's his attitude that may make him available to us and encourage Hawthorn to take MacKenzie instead.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Does anyone know anything about Angus McLennan?
I've never heard of him

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

McGowan looks like he’s getting similar mail to Cal for sure:

“The Saints won’t be able to match a bid on Next Generation Academy talent Cam Mackenziebecause he is certain to be selected in the first round - but they may be able to draft him at their first pick. But the tall midfielder has other admirers in the top 10, most prominently Hawthorn, so it will be a waiting game for St Kilda’s list crew, led by James Gallagher. There are all sorts of scenarios that could eventuate, including classy midfielder Elijah Tsatas or big-bodied match-winner Mattaes Phillipou unexpectedly sliding down the order to them. It would be a surprise if none of those three was there for the Saints. There are some whispers St Kilda could trade for a second first-round selection, with Western Australian Elijah Hewett a potential target. They have also shown interest in the tall defenders in this range, and could take Lewis Hayes if he falls to them at No.28. South Australian forward-ruck Isaac Keeleris one option for St Kilda’s third pick.”

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

ST KILDA​Draft picks: 9, 28, 32, 47, 73, 81

List needs: Match-winning midfielders/forwards, elite ball-users, key position depth

Who do they get at first pick: Cam Mackenzie (NGA), Elijah Tsatas, Jedd Busslinger, Ed Allan, Ollie Hollands, Mattaes Phillipou

St Kilda’s first choice will hinge on the dominoes that fall before them, including which way Essendon and Hawthorn go, which makes it difficult to know exactly who they will land. The Saints have been strongly linked to quick and poised midfielder Cam Mackenzie, and it’s not just the Next Generation Academy tie that makes sense. Key defender Jedd Busslinger, 194cm bolter Ed Allan and running machine Ollie Hollands are others who they have shown interest in for their first choice. Don’t be surprised to see electric ball-magnet Elijah Tsatas, who wishes to remain in Victoria, slide all the way to St Kilda’s selection — and if he does, expect him to be snapped up. It’s a similar story for forward/midfielders Bailey Humphrey and Mattaes Phillipou, who would help address their lack of matchwinners, but both may be gone by then.

Who’s in the mix after that: Coby Burgiel, James Van Es, Jaxon Binns, Harvey Gallagher, Noah Long, Angus McLennan (NGA), Clay Tucker

It is believed the Saints are among several clubs looking to get another pick in the second round of the draft. The Saints are fans of speedster Coby Burgiel if he gets to 28, but he may not get past a host of suitors before them. The draft range of key defender James Van Es begins at their third choice at 32, while they have shown interest in 19-year-old distributor Harvey Gallagher, wingman Jaxon Binns and small forward Noah Long, who could all come into the equation in the second-half of the draft.

Late mail: While they are no guarantee to get Mackenzie through their NGA, they are likely to secure forgotten defender Angus McLennan as a Category B rookie. McLennan has endured a wretched run with injury but the 19-year-old, who has also played for St Kilda’s VFL affiliate the Sandringham Zebras along with NAB League footy this year, does have two other suitors.

silverhalo
Club Player

I'd be disappointed if we decide to trade up from Pick 9 as it looks like we'll get one of the gun midfielders regardless if we stay at 9 - we're sure to get one of Tsatas, Clark, Mackenzie, Phillipou, Ginbey or Humphrey - happy with any of those :D

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If we trade up

We are just dumb

Not required

All we have to do is select the right player at 10

We are the last club with a pick from the ‘talented 10’

One will fall through to us!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Do NOT overlook the obvious and take a ‘reach’

Just make a common sense decision

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 8:02pm Do NOT overlook the obvious and take a ‘reach’

Just make a common sense decision
BM you have been a Saint supporter since birth I imagine same as me & when has common sense ever been a focus for St.Kilda :?:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 8:16am Does anyone know anything about Angus McLennan?
I've never heard of him
He played in the back line for Sandringham Dragons for most of the year. Had an absolute blinder in their GF win and was near BOG. I think he may have also played a game or two for the Zebras.

Hopefully he gets through the main draft and we can add him as a rookie?

footynut
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 7:49pm I'd be disappointed if we decide to trade up from Pick 9 as it looks like we'll get one of the gun midfielders regardless if we stay at 9 - we're sure to get one of Tsatas, Clark, Mackenzie, Phillipou, Ginbey or Humphrey - happy with any of those :D
I'd only be trading up if we could get to pick 3. But realistically that would cost to much.

footynut
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 7:49pm I'd be disappointed if we decide to trade up from Pick 9 as it looks like we'll get one of the gun midfielders regardless if we stay at 9 - we're sure to get one of Tsatas, Clark, Mackenzie, Phillipou, Ginbey or Humphrey - happy with any of those :D
I'd only be trading up if we could get to pick 3. But realistically that would cost to much.