Predictions for Giants game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Predictions for Giants game

I've spent limited time in Tassie, but lived on the gold coast.

I reckon I've had more footy conversations in a week in Tassie than a year at the Gold Coast. Yes there is the population, but they're not interested in sport, let alone AFL.

A GWS "move" to Canberra will be next. Maybe a rebranding as "Giants" without a location.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

i have spent a fair amount of time in Tassie, enough time at least to know they love their footy down there, for fear of repeating myself like one particular poster, Tassie were always going to get a team and should have got one before a second side in NSW.
Build it and they will come.. I am confident they will get healthy crowds...much healthier than GWS.
The loudest protagonists down there are the usual suspects but won't get drawn on that argument.
It will go ahead and be a success

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 10:17am i have spent a fair amount of time in Tassie, enough time at least to know they love their footy down there, for fear of repeating myself like one particular poster, Tassie were always going to get a team and should have got one before a second side in NSW.
Build it and they will come.. I am confident they will get healthy crowds...much healthier than GWS.
The loudest protagonists down there are the usual suspects but won't get drawn on that argument.
It will go ahead and be a success
Good chance you will be proved right.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I just don't get the business model.
I mean they get a bit of support in Canberra, I suppose, but still only draw 10 or 11,000, many of them being opposition supporters, going by the noise on tv.
And what is frightening is, they are still a reasonable team.
The Suns' crowds aren't much better, but they definitely enjoy more support down here in the games I have seen them play against us at Docklands. Maybe bring along 5-600 suppporters. Compared to, what?, 50-75 GWS supporters when they play us down here.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 9:03am I've spent limited time in Tassie, but lived on the gold coast.

I reckon I've had more footy conversations in a week in Tassie than a year at the Gold Coast. Yes there is the population, but they're not interested in sport, let alone AFL.

A GWS "move" to Canberra will be next. Maybe a rebranding as "Giants" without a location.
Very likely I would imagine.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 7:24pm I just don't get the business model.
I mean they get a bit of support in Canberra, I suppose, but still only draw 10 or 11,000, many of them being opposition supporters, going by the noise on tv.
And what is frightening is, they are still a reasonable team.
The Suns' crowds aren't much better, but they definitely enjoy more support down here in the games I have seen them play against us at Docklands. Maybe bring along 5-600 suppporters. Compared to, what?, 50-75 GWS supporters when they play us down here.
All AFL supporters in Canberra except for the real young ones already support/supported an AFL team.

Those people turn up if their original team is playing. Too cold there for me though.

Probably don't turn up if their team isn't playing. I wouldn't either.

But, in saying that, I have been to a GWS v Saints match at Manuka in the past and will go again if they are scheduled to play there.

Great oval too, with the dimensions the same as the MCG. They even have the old MCG scoreboard.

There is even talk of a covered stadium but I guess the rugga buggers will get that.