David King say…

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: David King say…

Love to know who is the number 1 ruckman - if we trade Marshall

Dumbest idea I’ve heard in years

Since the last number 1 ruckman we traded

Who went on to be a premiership player and club captain- elsewhere!

If we trade Marshall for a draft pick - we are officially clueless

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Obviously a click bait comment, but at least he didn't suggest we go after Natanui. If he understood irony he could have suggested we rerecruit Tommu Hickey.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 27 Jun 2023 12:41pm Obviously a click bait comment, but at least he didn't suggest we go after Natanui. If he understood irony he could have suggested we rerecruit Tommu Hickey.
Is Hickey available?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hope not

Rowan Marshall got 50 hit outs and was BOG vs Sydney

If you think Marshall is poor in HOs

Hickey is diabolical

Of course neither is the case, they are just better around the ground ruckmen that tap ruckman

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 27 Jun 2023 10:34am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 26 Jun 2023 9:47pm Is he a very good player, yep. A lot of teams would love him as icing on the cake.

Is he a good number 1 ruckman?

He’s not great at ruck contested, not great resting forward, not dominant in the air around the ground.

He needs to be 10cm taller or shorter, he’s stuck in no man’s land for me. He’s like an oversized mid.

We need a dominant ruckman to take the next step.
Nailed it in summary of RoMa.

The other thing disappointing me with RoMa at present, is he does not seem to be supporting our defenders as much as I expect someone with his talent and mobility. The past two weeks I have not noticed him filling a hole and intercepting.

At 200cm and free to run the entire ground, he will get possessions but I want him intercepting in defence or drifting forward and kicking goals, especially if he's not helping our centre clearances.

Do I want him traded? I would look at all offers and for once try to pick one in our favour. If none are, then he's a keeper. I will happily have RoMa with less possessions by helping our structure forward and playing 2nd ruck for 30-40% of game time. There was a reason our W/L was better when both Ryder & Marshall played.

Many teams have had forward prigression after making the right deals on very good players. Adelaide, Port, Fremantle, Melbourne, Sydney, Richmond and Collingwood have all let players go to fill holes & obtain draft picks to ultimately move forward.

Unfortunately we cannot continue to hold on to our better players and bemoan the fact we are mid table. Paying overs for FAs & ex champions only restricts our ability to genuinely entice elite talent and ultimately hold on to our kids.
We’ll said Ghost
I don’t like D King but he makes a point
We have history of hanging on to players …hoping that tease potential kicks in …then when it doesn’t …trade value is gone
See Jack Billing’s - no one wanted him at his elevated price when his manager shopped him…why???? Missed the boat
Marshall is handy no question -
Does he give us first use ? No
Is he a proven goal scorer ? No
How valuable really is grabbing the ball out of ruck …scrubbing it forwards to see opponents rebound of it?? (See Lions game)
He’s good around ground
He’s good at that relieving mark
The question is: is he more valuable to us NOW when we aren’t really in the challenging window OR is what we get more valuable?
Yes, that’s predicated on a top 10 pick … with maybe 25
But if that’s on the table you’d be stupid not to look at it

“Yeah….nah””