Ross's Presser

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross's Presser

If the midfield is so poor - and Ross is such a good coach

Why hasn’t he changed it up?

Generally for the first 15 rounds it was Steele, Crouch, Ross, Clark, Gresham

Owens, Sinclair, Bytel, Windhager, Connolly - some options

Honestly
If you had to rate each of our lines on AFL ability
I’d rate our Key Forwards as poor - without King, Membrey and Hayes
Mids as average
Defenders as above average

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 7:34pm If the midfield is so poor - and Ross is such a good coach

Honestly
Mids as average
Makes you wonder, doesn't it. Sickening really. I think a realistic coach would have at least given Bytel a bit of a chance to show whether he had It or not.

Think you are right on your rating too.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 7:34pm If the midfield is so poor - and Ross is such a good coach

Honestly
Mids as average
Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Sickening really. I think a realistic coach or a more adventurous one would have at least given Bytel a bit of a chance to show whether he had It or not.

Think you are right on your rating too.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Honestly
Mids as average
LMAO 🤣 you told me Connolly was not up to it ??
Now in a desperate attempt to discredit Lyon .. he’s part of the midfield rotations??
Cmon I can’t be bothered answering why 18 games in..half the list injured …. and you’re seriously asking why he hasn’t fixed our pedestrian midfield that’s been broken for a decade ??

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think Connolly is a VFL mid, let alone AFL (although you do) … which is actually laughable- especially since you bag Bytel - who is twice the player.

My point is
If the midfield is so bad - try other people?

If we are going to get beat with those we know of, perhaps get beat by those we don’t know of

Put it this way - if King wasn’t injured - Cooper wouldn’t have played ball GC

Sometimes all it takes is an opportunity

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 10:34pm I don’t think Connolly is a VFL mid, let alone AFL (although you do) … which is actually laughable- especially since you bag Bytel - who is twice the player.

My point is
If the midfield is so bad - try other people?

If we are going to get beat with those we know of, perhaps get beat by those we don’t know of

Put it this way - if King wasn’t injured - Cooper wouldn’t have played ball GC

Sometimes all it takes is an opportunity
So Connolly (who I think has some skills) is not even VFL worthy according to you ….but play him for the sake of it anyway …
Righto….glad you’re not running the show

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Connolly will be cut from the list at seasons end.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's a pity Connolly hasn't been played on a wing. He could use his speed and kicking skills to get the ball inside 50.

I can't see the logic of playing him as an inside mid. Would you do that with Byrnes or Hill?

Could Connolly do what Byrnes is currently doing? Absolutely.

But ...... unfortunately, I think he'll be cut at season's end. Disappointing for a kid with elite kicking skills, an area where we're clearly deficient.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Leg speed, too

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 12:39pm It's a pity Connolly hasn't been played on a wing. He could use his speed and kicking skills to get the ball inside 50.

I can't see the logic of playing him as an inside mid. Would you do that with Byrnes or Hill?

But ...... unfortunately, I think he'll be cut at season's end. Disappointing for a kid with elite kicking skills, an area where we're clearly deficient.
I'm not convinced of this. Byrnes has won that spot through elite running capacity rather than speed.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

FFS can everyone get off Bytel. He’s not going to fix our midfield issue. He’s been tried. He’s s***, move on…

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 3:06pm Loved it, honest and direct.
First quarter score was 3-2 to 1 solitary behind to us. Gold Coast had 20 x inside 50’s. we had 9 x inside 50’s.

Does that indicate a team that has been prepared well? So…what do you think the first question is going to be from reporters?

Ross has his answers ready. He knows what’s coming and he lays the ground work to shift responsibility.

Journo: “Pretty flat start today Ross. What do you think was the feeling early on?

Ross Lyon: “I thought our intensity was ok. Look, I thought we were a fumbling, stumbling mess”

He’s the exact opposite of the guy in the film Liar Liar. The character that Jim Carrey played was compelled to say the truth.

Four minutes and 45 seconds into the presser, another journo tries to ask again about our poor start; “Do you feel like the side was a bit off early, with some of that ‘sloppiness’ that you alluded to?”

Ross; “No…I don’t know…is it lack of skill, lack of ball handling, lack of technique? I’ve seen it at the Saints for a long time with the same guys making the same mistakes”

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 12:42pm
cwrcyn wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 12:39pm It's a pity Connolly hasn't been played on a wing. He could use his speed and kicking skills to get the ball inside 50.

I'm not convinced of this. Byrnes has won that spot through elite running capacity rather than speed.
Ross criticised Byrnes at one stage in the press conference. He talked about the incident when Byrnes got a touch in the backline and made a fantastic run from deep in defence (they’re my words not his- all Ross was interested in was apportioning blame) and kept running to receive the footy. Ronnie took a few bounces and eventually was cornered and had to kick with his left foot. It wasn’t a very good kick. We were still 3 goals down mind you….

The comment he made about ‘stars’ in the team and the ‘rest’ of the squad is typical of his attitude and is not what you want at a football club. There shouldn’t be any segregation and there shouldn’t be favourites. If you’re going to start highlighting errors from the young blokes, you NEED to also highlight the clangers from Crouch, Howard, Sinclair, Hill and Steele.

How desperate is Ross Lyon to look for scapegoats instead of looking to improve the team and looking inward to see what HE and his coaches can do better

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 12:42pm

Certainly not through fierce tackling and marking. Often an interested bystander. Byrnes and Hill in the same side in similar area doesn't put much physical concern in the opposition. I wish Ronnie showed more initiative and strength to win contested ball. But I guess that's not his job.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What’s wrong with some of you people?!

Get on the Kool-Aid.

Drink up. 🥤

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
older saint
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 10:47pm
older saint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 3:06pm Loved it, honest and direct.
First quarter score was 3-2 to 1 solitary behind to us. Gold Coast had 20 x inside 50’s. we had 9 x inside 50’s.

Does that indicate a team that has been prepared well? So…what do you think the first question is going to be from reporters?

Ross has his answers ready. He knows what’s coming and he lays the ground work to shift responsibility.

Journo: “Pretty flat start today Ross. What do you think was the feeling early on?

Ross Lyon: “I thought our intensity was ok. Look, I thought we were a fumbling, stumbling mess”

He’s the exact opposite of the guy in the film Liar Liar. The character that Jim Carrey played was compelled to say the truth.

Four minutes and 45 seconds into the presser, another journo tries to ask again about our poor start; “Do you feel like the side was a bit off early, with some of that ‘sloppiness’ that you alluded to?”

Ross; “No…I don’t know…is it lack of skill, lack of ball handling, lack of technique? I’ve seen it at the Saints for a long time with the same guys making the same mistakes”
What i watched was multiple missed handballs leading to turnovers, so not dishonest there.
I thought fumbling stumbling mess was pretty accentuate description -better than give a mulligan.
Coaches like politicians don't answer the question asked they answer with the answer to the question they wanted asked.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

They are trying to teach Leo how to win his own ball

He can kick

But doesn’t win the footy in the contest (makes Brad Hill look like Clayton Oliver)

He has averaged 17 ppg as primarily an inside mid at VFL level which is poor

Yes, his best position is HB

They are not trying to make him into an AFL mid - they are trying to improve his contest work, which is poor and the reason he is not up to it.
That’s why Sandy are so poor - Leo was a runner up B&F at HB in the vfl and would be far better off playing there for the Zebs

But the wants of the AFL coaching panel outweigh the VFL teams success.

I think Tyson Milne is FAR superior to Leo Connolly

saynta
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 5:24pm FFS can everyone get off Bytel. He’s not going to fix our midfield issue. He’s been tried. He’s s***, move on…
A clear breach of forum rules.

"ABUSING OR DEMEANING A SAINTS PLAYER, FAMILY OR OFFICIAL RULE"

"Commenting on the performance of a Saints player / official is allowed. Review their performance and suggest where or how they can improve. In cases where posters abuse or demean a Saints player / official / or their family, OR casts aspersions on their character and it is deemed by the moderators to be offensive and inflammatory, then the moderators will issue a 1 DAY or 1 WEEK BAN depending on severity"

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 11:49pm What’s wrong with some of you people?!

Get on the Kool-Aid.

Drink up. 🥤
Still keen to hang on to Ratts were you ? I don’t recall you arguing he should be kept at the time??

or just going with your internet friends again?
You swing with the wind .. I’ll give you that

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 19 Jul 2023 10:52am
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 5:24pm FFS can everyone get off Bytel. He’s not going to fix our midfield issue. He’s been tried. He’s s***, move on…

"Commenting on the performance of a Saints player / official is allowed. Review their performance and suggest where or how they can improve. In cases where posters abuse or demean a Saints player / official / or their family, OR casts aspersions on their character and it is deemed by the moderators to be offensive and inflammatory, then the moderators will issue a 1 DAY or 1 WEEK BAN depending on severity"
Are you a mod now?
I’ve read and seen far worse on here than that and some of that demeaning our coach from YOU - isn’t he part of the club??? Are you exempt from the rules????
Spare us the hypocrisy and leave the rules to mods to enforce
I get he has disagreed with your views on here previously hence the now blatant attacks but it’s not up to you to use site rules for your own vendettas.

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 19 Jul 2023 11:50pm
saynta wrote: Wed 19 Jul 2023 10:52am

Are you a mod now?
I’ve read and seen far worse on here than that and some of that demeaning our coach from YOU - isn’t he part of the club??? Are you exempt from the rules????
Spare us the hypocrisy and leave the rules to mods to enforce
I get he has disagreed with your views on here previously hence the now blatant attacks but it’s not up to you to use site rules for your own vendettas.
You are wrong, ...again. No surprises there. I object to Bytel being called s*** as any true supporter would.

I have not demeaned the coach since he was appointed. I just want him gone and will keep saying so.

Anyway, I don't need advice from the likes of you.

Talk about hypocrisy. You have been using this site for your own offensive vendettas for longer than I care to remember.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

It's probably because you've rammed bytel down our throats in a way Ron Jeremy would have been proud of.

We get it. You and the fish and chip pack don't like Lyon and think Bytel should have been played every game this year.

Can we move on?

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 20 Jul 2023 2:44pm It's probably because you've rammed bytel down our throats in a way Ron Jeremy would have been proud of.

We get it. You and the fish and chip pack don't like Lyon and think Bytel should have been played every game this year.

Can we move on?
:roll: Doesn't excuse a poster calling him s***.

And I never eat fish .

Who the f*** is Ron Jeremy?

Bytel should have been given more than one game and you can move anywhere you want to. I don't give a rats.

Don't bother replying.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Bytel has had more opportunity than over a 1/4 of our list this year.

Borat
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 20 Jul 2023 6:30pm
nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 20 Jul 2023 2:44pm It's probably because you've rammed bytel down our throats in a way Ron Jeremy would have been proud of.

Can we move on?
:roll: Doesn't excuse a poster calling him s***.

And I never eat fish .

Who the f*** is Ron Jeremy?

Bytel should have been given more than one game and you can move anywhere you want to. I don't give a rats.

Don't bother replying.
Ron Jeremy is ugly man with giant hram who act in sexy time movie film for many years. But in last couple of year he get caught for being town rapist. Naughty-naughty! ☝️