Had there ever been a more reviled player than Gresham?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Had there ever been a more reviled player than Gresham?

magnifisaint wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 7:22pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 5:41pm
Winmar7 wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 4:57pm
Saintmatt wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:12pm He’s really taken supporter disquiet to a new (low) level. I mean, there’s always the usual whipping boys (eg Ross, Howard etc) but they’re a bit more of an eye roll … rather than the genuine disgust, bordering on hatred - that pervades No. 4.

I don’t know one of our supporters who even tries to defend his output.

For me? Gresham will always be the poster boy for everything that was wrong with St Kilda between 2012 - 2022 where terrible standards and zero development existed and anyone with a bit of talent was allowed to do as they wanted.

His incredibly poor body language and perpetually lazy efforts really are a cancer on the playing group. Once his trade to Carlton or Hawthorn is completed, I hope they chuck his locker contents in a box at the front door and fumigate said locker to remove the stench of mediocrity and selfishness.

👎🏼
Did you miss the trolling of Brad Hill in the past few years? I'd argue that lasted longer and was less warranted.
I blame Brad Hill for my divorce .
Even though I’m not divorced, or even married, when it happens, I’ll know where to look. For both.
You are obviously not a very attractive man!
why bother saying the obvious..
..oh. Wait…
I’m probably not as attractive as you, but I’m working on it…

Never give up your dreams.

That’s why we are so supportive of one another here!

Tight focus!

Forward!

March!!

Oh when the Saints!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 7:22pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 5:41pm
Winmar7 wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 4:57pm
Saintmatt wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:12pm He’s really taken supporter disquiet to a new (low) level. I mean, there’s always the usual whipping boys (eg Ross, Howard etc) but they’re a bit more of an eye roll … rather than the genuine disgust, bordering on hatred - that pervades No. 4.

For me? Gresham will always be the poster boy for everything that was wrong with St Kilda between 2012 - 2022 where terrible standards and zero development existed and anyone with a bit of talent was allowed to do as they wanted.

His incredibly poor body language and perpetually lazy efforts really are a cancer on the playing group. Once his trade to Carlton or Hawthorn is completed, I hope they chuck his locker contents in a box at the front door and fumigate said locker to remove the stench of mediocrity and selfishness.

👎🏼
Did you miss the trolling of Brad Hill in the past few years? I'd argue that lasted longer and was less warranted.
I blame Brad Hill for my divorce .
Even though I’m not divorced, or even married, when it happens, I’ll know where to look. For both.
You are obviously not a very attractive man!
why bother saying the obvious..
..oh. Wait…
I’m probably not as attractive as you, but I’m working on it…

Never give up your dreams.

That’s why we are so supportive of one another here!

Tight focus!

Forward!

March!!

Oh when the Saints!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 7:41pm
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 8:37pm
saynta wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 12:27pm
Mr Magic wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:27pm I think Raphael Clarke was considered worse
Yeah, I heard a lot of the crap directed to him at the footy including some racist slurs from one individual.

i still regret not reporting him.

But hey, this forum has always needed a whipping boy or two.
Seriously? If you genuinely heard that it has to be reported. Cannot understand any reason it would not have been.

He's not an X factor, or a player that makes our midfield better. Better to ply his trade elsewhere, it's apparent he does not wish to wear our colours or play under Ross.
Stuff like that always bothers some more than others.

In Gresh, the issue now IMO is the perception that he’s on the way out. Supporters tend to have loyalty to those that bleed for the jumper. Even the maligned like Ross have always had a healthy degree of support despite the criticism.

Once the writing is on the wall that a player wants out however… all bets are off.

Remember Dunstan!? Very maligned but had a huge backing in his last season until it was apparent that he was grumpy and would walk out. Then the excuses from the super fans to hate him came on…
Remember the BS of some free kick against Geelong or whatever was the final, unforgivable straw that broke the camel’s back… it would be laughable if it wasn’t so pathetic.

Now for Gresh… every mistake is scrutinized and unfortunately for him, his lack of composure and tendency to attempt the miracle play is really irking the majority. It’s always been there, but doesn’t feel like it’s for the pride of the jumper or a push for finals anymore
Your last paragraph sums up my sentiment perfectly, well said. His flaws have been on show for a while and I have lost patience, I probably lost patience a couple of seasons ago and then his injuries, no fault of his, compounded my frustrations.

I think he's selfish as a footballer. Whereas I think Butler is very team orientated but cops the ire of some of our supporters whilst gets a pass by some for some mythical "X" factor he possesses.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 8:22pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 7:34pm
saynta wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 12:04pm
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 8:37pm
saynta wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 12:27pm
Mr Magic wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:27pm I think Raphael Clarke was considered worse
Yeah, I heard a lot of the crap directed to him at the footy including some racist slurs from one individual.

i still regret not reporting him.

But hey, this forum has always needed a whipping boy or two.
Seriously? If you genuinely heard that it has to be reported. Cannot understand any reason it would not have been.

He's not an X factor, or a player that makes our midfield better. Better to ply his trade elsewhere, it's apparent he does not wish to wear our colours or play under Ross.
I was talking about Raph not Gresh.

All the same, I am sick and tired of reading rubbish about Gresh on this forum. Nothing is apparent to me, by the way.
Fair call saynta. Personally I've had enough of promises and pumping up the tyres of Saints players because we are wanting more than they can genuinely deliver.

The sky is the limit for Owens & Phillipou, Gresh has stagnated in mediocrity at our club unfortunately. Owens & Phillipou are genuine X factors.

No regret over that last sentence? You are more astute than that.
I can't see anything wrong with Saynta's last sentence. What are you on about?
Perhaps I read it wrong, I would expect something to be apparent to everyone at some point. I now see how saynta was likely only alluding to my comment that Gresh does not wish to wear our colours or play under Ross.

saintbob
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 9:34pm This is a player who kicked 35 goals and starred in his second season!

Injuries have played a part - but something isn’t right

Will be a blue in 2024 and will tear it up
Just like Jack Newnes did

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda haven't lost too many successful players to other clubs in the last few years.

Blake Acres is the exception

Ben Long plays reserves for Gold Coast.

The others have gone down the dust pipe.

But ten years ago...wow!

Just to watch Stanley tonight, still punching it out in the firsts.

Ouch

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

When that tool Stonecold was on here, he used to create threads to tell us how bad Hickey was.

Tom has carved out a long career and the Swans might fluke getting into finals again this year. Last year he played in a Grand final (albeit on the losing team).

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Big boy played in a premiership winning team with the Hawks. One of our bigger mistakes.

Thanks for nothing pelican s***.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Hickey, McEvoy and Stanley all blunders.. but we were blessed with Paddy. Briefly…far too briefly.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 4:37pm Hickey, McEvoy and Stanley all blunders.. but we were blessed with Paddy. Briefly…far too briefly.
Do you really think Stanley was a blunder? I feel as though every ruckman we’ve had since him has been a better player (with the exception of Billy Longer lol). Don’t think he would’ve lasted had he stayed.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 4:37pm Hickey, McEvoy and Stanley all blunders.. but we were blessed with Paddy. Briefly…far too briefly.
Blessed with Paddy??? Like the Titanic was blessed with a bottle of champagne.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 5:34pm
Do you really think Stanley was a blunder? I feel as though every ruckman we’ve had since him has been a better player (with the exception of Billy Longer lol). Don’t think he would’ve lasted had he stayed.

Well, maybe.
Stanley has played 135 games down there , in a high performance team who have consistently made finals, including in the flag last year.. He runs and runs, can leap and take a grab. Would t say he’s as commanding as the Field Marshall but he makes himself useful- the mistakes notwithstanding g

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 5:24am St Kilda haven't lost too many successful players to other clubs in the last few years.

He wasn't that great at Freo!
His form at Carlton is now Freo's blunder, not ours.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Acres was pretty good at Freo from memory. Took a season to get going but I thought his last two seasons were pretty solid. Surprised they let him go for nothing after they made such a drama about him being included in the Hill deal.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 7:15pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 5:24am St Kilda haven't lost too many successful players to other clubs in the last few years.

He wasn't that great at Freo!
His form at Carlton is now Freo's blunder, not ours.
Barring injury in the last half of his last season he was on track for AA. 100% the worst "steak knives" in history.

Freo low balled him whilst we (Lethean) had been dazzled by Brad. Carlton got a steal.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 11:59am Big boy played in a premiership winning team with the Hawks. One of our bigger mistakes.

Thanks for nothing pelican s***.
That was Lyon everyone knows that
He also was responsible the day lights went out at Waverley and for Chernobyl
Keep up Will ya?

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He was responsible for Luke Ball sitting on the bench for the entire last qtr of the 09 GF

And then letting him walk to Collingwood for nothing and get a medal - against the team that showed him the door

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 10:06pm He was responsible for Luke Ball sitting on the bench for the entire last qtr of the 09 GF

And then letting him walk to Collingwood for nothing and get a medal - against the team that showed him the door
The Luke Ball haters aren't going to agree with you

Btw... it's ok to hate him because even though he's a former Saint and a former captain, he needs to be hated for trying to get the best deal for himself money wise. Don't bring up R Lyon doing the same thing... that's different

The other thing they're not going to agree with is whether Luke is any good and whether we needed him in the last quarter. Speaking of 'weather' ...on a wet track I think Luke went ok...as did Armo

But anyhow...we lost the GF in the first half. It was the players fault.

Apparently it's a coach's job to eat sandwiches and floss his teeth in the second half of games

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 10:20pm
B.M wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 10:06pm He was responsible for Luke Ball sitting on the bench for the entire last qtr of the 09 GF

Btw... it's ok to hate him because even though he's a former Saint and a former captain, he needs to be hated for trying to get the best deal for himself money wise. Don't bring up R Lyon doing the same thing... that's different

The other thing they're not going to agree with is whether Luke is any good and whether we needed him in the last quarter. Speaking of 'weather' ...on a wet track I think Luke went ok...as did Armo

Apparently it's a coach's job to eat sandwiches and floss his teeth in the second half of games
Finally some semblance of truth and I didn’t even need to doctor this one!!!
We’ll said
Ross prepared them as well as you could
09 was on player execution- all know it
10 Pies best side but some individual brilliance got us in it (and sone Pie goal inaccuracies it must be said)
You’ve come a long way tonight - good for you

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I've had enough

You're on foe ...again

You're sad

You're incorrigible

You're nuts

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 10:30pm I've had enough

You're on foe ...again

You're sad

You're incorrigible

You're nuts
I still like you
I tell you what I’m gonna do….for the sake of the forum
I’ll pop u on foe as well that should make everyone’s life better
See ya later bud👍

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

And the main reason for my RTB dislike. Never forget and never forgive.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 10:20pm

Well said,

saynta
Saintsational Legend

👎🏼
Gresh made you and his other detractors look like fools today.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Thank God he did. But surely an X factor should perform better than one in ten? I hope he gets the fattest of contracts so both parties can benefit.