Phillipou

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Phillipou

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 9:49pm
saynta wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 8:53pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 7:54am
Devilhead wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 1:51am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 9:20pm
nostalgicsaint wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 8:18pm
B.M wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 7:46pm Phillipou looks lost at CB

I’ve not yet seen him touch the footy at a centre clearance

He’s going to be a fine player

But really, if he wasn’t tagged as a high potential player and was rated on actual output- he’d be criticised

In other words
If Billings, Byrnes, Hill or Gresham were averaging 10ppg and half a goal we’d be calling for them to get dropped.
Agree re the comparison to the other players that said if my grandma had wheels she would have been a bike.

Reality is he is a high potential young player and the others are not- at least not to the same extent.

Fwiw I've seen some pretty clever deft touches and quick hands around the stoppages.
More to the point - If he was born 5 days later - HE WOULD NOT EVEN BE ON AN AFL LIST

We are lucky to have him - and to get him at pick 10.

Put him in this years draft crop and he is a standout.

He is a boy playing against men - give him a proper Pre-season as an 18 yo not a 17 yo and 4 days (at 1/1/23)

What were you guys doing at 17????
He was already 18 at 1/1/23 ..... born in 2004
Yep - you are correct - but what were you doing at 17 - WHEN HE WAS DRAFTED TO AN AFL LIST?????
I was playing under 19's in the SE Suburban league on Saturdays and for the local U19's YCW team on Sundays.
Didn’t realize there were U19’s in the 1920’s.
60's smartarse.

Next time you decide to jump out of a plane, try it without a parachute.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 12:04am SHOULD NOT BE DROPPED. He puts more stats up than the likes of Gresham or Byrnes. Remains in the side. Get him finals experience. Develop that hunger and that experience of finals. Billings can f*** off. Wasted pick. He was lazy when I played football with him in juniors and he’s still now.
Im no fan of Gresh's playbook...but to compare the two...Mattaes is WAY below Gresh's level of output in almost every stat.

Easily proven...go to afl.com. select stats. Select compare. Pick the two. Retract statement lol

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If you think Phillipou is as effective as Gresham this season you’ve got no idea?

Maybe he will be in a year or two.

But right now, this season - it’s not even a contest!

Watch footy objectively with both eyes and without bias or preference.

We all want Phillipou to be a star - and he well may be
But he is fringe at best at the moment - numbers confirm this

Big Max
Club Player

Reckon Phillipou spent a bit of time in the midfield tonight, thought he was handy.

jackal
Club Player

He's 18. OK game.
Surely we can accept that billings ain't going to win us anything and accept that bont was probably the better choice

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I thought he was pretty good today. We struggled to get the ball into the forward line, but when we did, he was always thereabouts. I sense he might have a really good one in the first final.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

jackal wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 8:29pm He's 18. OK game.
Surely we can accept that billings ain't going to win us anything and accept that bont was probably the better choice
Thaat's got nothing to do with anything, surely. Nobody knew at the time that Bont would be a superstar: the Dogs went with a hit and hope when they selected him. Billings is ok, but doesn't suit Ross's current game plan. I think Phillipou had a pretty good game tonight. Let's look to the future.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

We need future
He is
Billing’s isn’t
Ross knows it

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

WOW, I'm surprised you didn't add the link to the draft thread where you were screaming / pleading for St Kilda to recruit Bontempelli. Oh, wait, there is no such thread.

I think everyone, including the GWS recruiters, have accepted the Bont was the best from that draft.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 9:04pm
WOW, I'm surprised you didn't add the link to the draft thread where you were screaming / pleading for St Kilda to recruit Bontempelli. Oh, wait, there is no such thread.

I think everyone, including the GWS recruiters, have accepted the Bont was the best from that draft.
My fateful penultimate AFL bet...St Kilda to select Bont...I lost $890. Booooooo

I was so sure, I gave everyone grief, my long shot was going to pay off due to my sixth sense we were going for the big mid... I was strutting around all night....then the draft...straight plum kick. Not a tap. Oh no...a lift ya off the ground kinda kick.

Me mates rode me to town & back. On top of the bet loss I wasnt angry, but honestly almost cried...I really wanted Bont. Never recovered, made one bet on Saints that year and never bet again. So thanks alot Billings, I had sweet little gambling dependency growing until you ruined it all.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

4 clearances, second only to Marshall says it all about his game today. Add the goal and a powerful 60m kick inside 50 and it's all you can ask for from him.

Keeps his spot on merit for sure.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Come off/pre-season , I hope Byrnes is there everyday doing a couple hours on strength and a couple of hours on skills.

If he could just improve a bit I’m both those areas (in general… not commenting on todays game)… he’d be a seriously good player

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 10:39pm 4 clearances, second only to Marshall says it all about his game today. Add the goal and a powerful 60m kick inside 50 and it's all you can ask for from him.

Keeps his spot on merit for sure.
+1.

Can I just add that ha had 2 direct goal assists (the highest for any Saint). Pou also had the most inside 50's of any Saint - 6 total. Windy next with 4.

Mattaes and RoMa had the most centre clearances- 3 each. It's bloody refreshing to see one of our mids actually hunting the footy instead of being worried about what his opponent is doing.

Pou had 5 score involvements - as did Windy, RoMa, Gresh and Wood (all had 5 SI's).