Has Ross lost the plot???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:If we do lose to Brisbane i'm definitely coming on here chewing popcorn..

it's gonna be open slather.....
yep. me too because dep down I belive that picking Winmar would have made the difference between winning and losing...

Most of you whinnging stupid gits want change which is fair enough but you don't say how many changes you exactly want.

what were you all expecting anyway?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
realdeal
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
super dooper wrote:Besides McEvoy these "kids" play nothing roles.

I think back to 09 when malthouse threw sidebottom head to head with our midfield in a final...

It's one thing playing them it's another what they're instructed to do.

Players like Stanley are merely back up and play a decoy role for roo. The problem is that 16 clubs have cottoned onto the fact we'll go to roo anyway...

Last week we put smith and Steven in the mids in the last qt when the game was shot in junk time against the bombers. What do they gain there?

We're on the slide unfortunately, why don't we actually see what our kids have got instead of playing an armchair role as part of the "bottom 6" players...

Sorry if I have been too real for some people...
What a lot of crap. Smith played around the ball most of the game. Stanley played ruck and CHF, FF most of the game. Steven played where he plays. Strange that is is faily similar to Blair. Why didnt you mention him?
Im pretty sure Armo has played a stack of time in the middle too.. what do people expect, lets just chuck every kid we have into the team at the same time.. great theory. They will all get a chance but lets be smart about it.

jays
Club Player

no he knows what he is doing

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

One thing people seem to forget re Stanley, he is 6' 8" and has pace, he can run.
I still really believe he could be turned into a great, dangerous, very difficult to match up wingman/HFF.
He could be a great link player through the middle, giving us a tall target coming out of defence.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
realdeal
Club Player

BigMart wrote:P66

I wouldnt stop at andrew.....

Ins
Blake, baker, eddy, geary and mcqualter........possibly see if we can get jayden attard from chelsea heights (heard he played well last week) i reckon he could do a job.....'play a role'.....yes i know jarryn is injured....but least we know what he offers.

Its all about structure......i got a few kicks in the supers last week....if i give an 'honest' and disciplined performance next week i am a chance for a call up....ability it seems, is secondary....

Seriously

B.....gwilt.....dawson......baker (if fit, not many options)

Hb......gilbert.....fisher......winmar

C.....gram.........goddard......ray

Hf....schnieder......johnson.......dal santo

F......milne..........riewoldt......mcevoy

Foll.....kosi.......armitage.......montagna

Int....smith.....steven......jones....cripps*

Emerg....mqualter......stanley.....blake
Where is Stanley!? He's a young player.. you just swapped him for another young player!
And since when is Cripps match fit for seniors? Winmar is an emg.. pretty fair you'd think considering how he went in practice games.. he'll get a shot. Im not happy with mini back in team but he's our best option this week. Let's introduce these kids in a smart way not just all within 3 weeks!

linz
Club Player

Blah Blah.
Pick the side to win the game.
A win now is IMPERATIVE!!
There is no future unless we win this week.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
PJ
SS Life Member

For those bagging the selection of Stanley McEvoy and Kosi as being too big can you explain how Collingwood get away with Jolly, Cloke, Brown and Dawes. 2 are forwards and 2 float between ruck, bench and elsewhere? Stan Mac and Kosi can all play forward and ruck.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I reckon either Stanley is getting a crack at the role up forward that Gilbert doesn't want, or perhaps there will be a late change of Stanley out...Winmar in.

I'm not sure why people are saying Winmar has shown nothing, wasn't he pretty much BOG at Sandy three weeks running?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:At first disappointed not to see any kids there in the 'ins'. But with Koz, Mac, Rhys & Roo - it makes the opposition accountable one would think......

Couple of other things of note, anyone else watching the progress of Jack Darling wondering why we didn't pick him up?

I heard Cripps was BOG for Sandy on the weekend so hopefully he will get a chance soon and take it also. Too early to tell but I really want one or two of our kids to step up - in saying kids I mean Stanley, Archer, Simpkin, Johnson, Lynch etc. Not just first year players......
Yes your the second poster to mention Darling, I couldn't believe he slipped down the rankings to pick 27 :shock: .... was hoping they would take him. Hard to believe he is only 18

Maybe they thought that would make too many talls on the list - and it seems they wanted mainly runners in the ND

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Didn't Darling have some pretty serious off field/attitude issues that scared clubs off?
Edit: According to Wikipedia: "Too young to enter the 2009 AFL Draft, he was predicted during the 2009 season to be a top-five draft pick, but some off-field incidents, including being suspended from his school and spending time in hospital following a fight at a nightclub, saw him slip to the be the first selection of the second round in the 2010 Draft."

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

There were a couple of off-field issues - I don't know whether they were all that serious - yes that's why he may have slid from a potential top 5 selection early in the year

Looks like the Eagles believe they can manage him.........

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I haven't read it all but here's an article about the reasons he slipped down the order. Interesting reading. It will be interesting to see how he goes and whether he is in fact another "Fev": http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/j ... 17vwe.html

stinger
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
St Ick wrote:At first disappointed not to see any kids there in the 'ins'. But with Koz, Mac, Rhys & Roo - it makes the opposition accountable one would think......

Couple of other things of note, anyone else watching the progress of Jack Darling wondering why we didn't pick him up?

I heard Cripps was BOG for Sandy on the weekend so hopefully he will get a chance soon and take it also. Too early to tell but I really want one or two of our kids to step up - in saying kids I mean Stanley, Archer, Simpkin, Johnson, Lynch etc. Not just first year players......
Yes your the second poster to mention Darling, I couldn't believe he slipped down the rankings to pick 27 :shock: .... was hoping they would take him. Hard to believe he is only 18

Maybe they thought that would make too many talls on the list - and it seems they wanted mainly runners in the ND

..i have been mentioning him for weeks.....words fail me for passing on this young gun...sure he has issues...but he has straightened himself out... like our player selections and our game plan......we are too f****** conservative.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I haven't read it all but here's an article about the reasons he slipped down the order. Interesting reading. It will be interesting to see how he goes and whether he is in fact another "Fev": http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/j ... 17vwe.html
Basically if he had been 6 months older - half that off field stuff may not have happened if he was in a footy environment. Doubt he will end up another Fevola :shock:

Top article by Emma Quayle, one of the best footy journalists, she logs onto BF during the lead up to the ND

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

..i have been mentioning him for weeks.....words fail me for passing on this young gun...sure he has issues...but he has straightened himself out... like our player selections and our game plan......we are too f****** conservative.
Yes sometimes you need to take a bit of a risk - not like they didn't do that previously is it :shock: :oops:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Everybody is talking about which young players should come in, but nobody has mentioned Tommy Walsh! Is our Irishman set to return to Ireland without ever having the opportunity to play a game? If our gutless selectors continue in the form they have shown to date it is very likely.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Of all the new players the first our gutless selectors will pick is likely to be Dean Polo!

fingers
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Of all the new players the first our gutless selectors will pick is likely to be Dean Polo!
They've already picked Gamble.

It amazes me that most of us see nothing of the players during the week - training, in the gym, in team meetings etc yet we still know better than those at the club.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Don't let p66 hear you say that! They know all and are always right and we know nothing and are always wrong, unless of course we agree with their moves/calls.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Thu 21 Apr 2011 12:18am, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote: It amazes me that most of us see nothing of the players during the week - training, in the gym, in team meetings etc yet we still know better than those at the club.
Meh, I've seen the same few under achieving regulars produce nothing for over a year and a half.

I come from the point of view that rather than knowingly get a crap performance, lets see if we can develop a youngster into something over time.

I certainly don't expect an underdone, injured Clint Jones to produce anything worthwhile

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:
Meh, I've seen the same few under achieving regulars produce nothing for over a year and a half.

I come from the point of view that rather than knowingly get a crap performance, lets see if we can develop a youngster into something over time.
Me too. Crazy idea, though, according to some.
Was watching AFL 360 tonight and was interested to hear them give Freo a big wrap for having the guts to play some very light "kids", in the past two seasons, like Fyfe and that now that they've played 20 games or so, they're starting to really blossom.
They said that if someone like Fyfe was at St Kilda he wouldn't have been given that chance and Mark McClure went as far as saying that if he was here he'd be left to "rot in the two's for 3 years".
It's very fair to say that if he'd been here he wouldn't be going anywhere near as well as he is at Freo.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Thu 21 Apr 2011 12:30am, edited 2 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i dont see a problem with kosi and stanley in the same side. i see stanley as a permanent fwd and kosi as a back-up ruckman.

anyone who thinks kosi can still play fwd is seriously dreaming. hes a liability down there. way too immobile.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

SainterK wrote:We have threads were people want youth....

We have Smith, Steven and Stanley retained in the team this week. Coupled with Ben and Armo pretty much consistent selections, which they weren't last year.

We have threads were people want tackles....

We bring in Baker and Mini who never lack in this department.

I just don't get the angst (shrugs)
I agree - there are a contradictory opinions/arguments going on.

But I do believe that Mini has significantly dropped off in terms of forward pressure not only this year, but last year also.

Saints43
Club Player

fingers wrote:It amazes me that most of us see nothing of the players during the week - training, in the gym, in team meetings etc yet we still know better than those at the club.
Spot on. I reckon we've got a right to whinge when it doesn't work out - there's always players that could have been selected that weren't - but there are a million reasons that players aren't picked and not all of them are about kicking the ball.

And we have to understand reluctance to change what someone trusts and has worked in the past. It's only human.

I reckon everyone knows that change needs to happen but it is happening.

And as someone said (joffaboy, I think) we have been trying to win a flag in the past two seasons and everything - including player the development of kids - takes a back seat when that is a possibility.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
SainterK wrote:We have threads were people want youth....

We have Smith, Steven and Stanley retained in the team this week. Coupled with Ben and Armo pretty much consistent selections, which they weren't last year.

We have threads were people want tackles....

We bring in Baker and Mini who never lack in this department.

I just don't get the angst (shrugs)
I agree - there are a contradictory opinions/arguments going on.

But I do believe that Mini has significantly dropped off in terms of forward pressure not only this year, but last year also.
I'm not even sure it's entirely his fault, I think the pure defensive forward role has finished, if it ever was justifiably a full time job.

I expect to see all of Mini, Schneider and Steven rotate through the midfield and forward this year.

I'd be perfectly happy if the word 'defensive' was removed all together when they find themselves in the attacking half, I think it's a word that should be reserved for defenders, not forwards.