Shattered-How Did We Lose That

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Shattered-How Did We Lose That

SaintSimmo wrote:We lost because of poor finishing, we actually won many kpi's
Marks inside 50: Saints won by 4
Tackles inisde 50: Saints won by 7
Turnovers created: Saints won by 7
Clearances: We won by 13
Contested Possesions: We won by 15
Tackles: We won by 7
Inside 50's: We won by 12.

However, one thing to note is Fremantle's goal origin,
76 of their 92 points were set up from their backline.
Only 23 of our 79 points came from the back half, with 50 of our points coming from the forward half.

We clearly have to address the problem of teams getting the ball out of our forward half too easily and kicking over the zone. This will improve with every game the players play with this new zone and game style.

All is not lost yet.
What that tells you is Ross knew he had to shut Fisher from defence down for us and he did - he let Gilbert go............worked on Fisher and any drive for scoring from our back half dies. Infact, Ross knows to well we only have about 3 quality ball users in Goddard, Dal, Fisher so he just set to work on them and the rest is history.

Same way Blues shut down pendlebury against Pies cause he's their creator.

I dont reckon we work hard enough with supoort to release these guys.

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

it was a real game of inches. I cant question our effort.
buts lets say 3 of those 56 inside 50 entries were better delivered - we win by 2 goals probably.
3 out of 56. thats all it would have taken to change result.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Very disappointed with the end result. I'm hoping its partly not used to charging into forward 50 in sync and reaping rewards enough on the scoreboard. Getting the ball into the 50 zone wasn't a problem - conversion of hard earned opportunities were frittered awaytoo often. Moving away from a Lyon possession game to effectively setting up goal opportunities and converting them needs continuous work. A lot of petrol was used up in the first half, Kosi did well Milera is still developing well i thought - He seems switched on. I thought Lyon got more out of his dockers than Scotty got from his new-style Saints. The dockers played with more belief or better instruction as th eseecond half rolled on. Scott Watters will need more time i think to get the players playing more efficiently.

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Megamaguire
Club Player

wrcyn said
"I find the criticism of Jack Steven interesting. From where I sat, he got us out of trouble numerous times with hard running and courage, and although he's not Dal Santo by foot, he's nowhere near as bad as some people are expressing on this forum. I went to the game with a Freo supporter and he was frustrated with Steven's ability to get St Kilda out of situations where Freo had the numbers. I think Jack is really exciting, and a much more important player than many think."

Jack is giving the team some much needed are bustling run that often has him taking the ball out of a dangerous place to a place where he can control it or pass it to maintain team possession . In Steven's case i think when he has gathered up the ball and is within range he should regularly have a decent kick @ the sticks! We have for years needed mids that can kick goals. Dal is kicking some but most of us reckon he is capable of regularly slotting 3 per game. Steven may well have to have more shots on the run goalward. His courage and presence is very good. Jacky can add the cream to his development quickly if he starts slotting 6Pters. Stevens does take on the responsibility of keeping up the press or winning possession -leave him in for more game time.
I think with Stevens, Armitage and probably Milera looking like regulars going into the futurethe more they play together the more they will be on the same page, hopefully.

Disappointed but still saw a lot to feel positive about.

We need the 4 points THIS WEEK!
GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Freo are a very good side truth is we dominated for a good part of the game , our young blokes are still learning, our coach is not a wily vet like Lyon , we lost by a few points . We could have actually won it with competent umpiring and accurate kicking, don't forget Ross Lyon is a great coach . Loved roo saluting Molly just showed there's soul at the club.
I agree with you on most of that...I'd prefer watching us having a go rather than choking the life out of the spectacle and making it a boring game. Ross Lyons great game plan nearly came unstuck against us last Friday against a novice. Freo were in front at 3 quarter time, but they did what Lyon instructed..they defended first...worried about kicking goals second. They had the momentum but Lyon's instructions probably would've been for the team to keep focussing on containment. That's just how he coaches. Without the umpires help and Milney sapping the life out of the team Freo would not have won.

When you have dominant year like we did in 2009, surely you plan you're September run a bit better. Lyon was more worried about hanging on to top spot after we won 15 or 16 in a row in 2009, when any other coach worth half his pay would've been looking to September and looking to capitalise on a position of strength. If you have the firepower to do the job...you've gotta make sure that you don't use all your bullets too early!! Lyon's game plan wasn't good enough and the blueprint for a GF win is to have the right cattle to get there in the first place and to choose the right cattle to execute on the big day. The buck stops with the head coach. Did he want to take any responsibility for the teams GF losses?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
felix wrote:Freo are a very good side truth is we dominated for a good part of the game , our young blokes are still learning, our coach is not a wily vet like Lyon , we lost by a few points . We could have actually won it with competent umpiring and accurate kicking, don't forget Ross Lyon is a great coach . Loved roo saluting Molly just showed there's soul at the club.
I agree with you on most of that...I'd prefer watching us having a go rather than choking the life out of the spectacle and making it a boring game. Ross Lyons great game plan nearly came unstuck against us last Friday against a novice. Freo were in front at 3 quarter time, but they did what Lyon instructed..they defended first...worried about kicking goals second. They had the momentum but Lyon's instructions probably would've been for the team to keep focussing on containment. That's just how he coaches. Without the umpires help and Milney sapping the life out of the team Freo would not have won.

When you have dominant years like Essendon had in '99 and 2000 or Port had for a few years and couldn't quite get there, surely you plan you're September run a bit better the next time round. Lyon was more worried about hanging on to top spot after we won 15 or 16 in a row in 2009, when any other coach worth half his pay would've been looking to September and looking to capitalise on a position of strength. If you have the firepower to do the job...you've gotta make sure that you don't use all your bullets too early!! Lyon's game plan wasn't good enough and the blueprint for a GF win is to have the right cattle to get there in the first place and to choose the right cattle to execute on the big day. The buck stops with the head coach. Did he want to take any responsibility for the teams GF losses?

They kicked 14 goals. That will win a fair few games. You need to get hold of the AFL book that people from overseas get so they can understand the game. RL outcoached SW on Friday night and fair enough. One is nearly the best coach in the AFL and the other is only in his 4th game.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You're back off ignore, because this is fun...Gee you are predictable... You need to go and suck a lemon... Or jam it and imitate your mate with the funny walk

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:You're back off ignore, because this is fun...Gee you are predictable... You need to go and suck a lemon... Or jam it and imitate your mate with the funny walk

He aint my mate. He is very good coach and people with footy knowledge know that. Others well they are just funny.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

History will judge him. There are some, like the player of the century, that have their doubts about Lyon. I'd be taking his opinion before I listen to hacks and journos that rate him. Lethal rated the Saints list and he should know because he coached against them. Others perpetuate a myth about Lyon taking over an ordinary list.

Ross failed to develop our list. Maybe he had the best intentions with his philosophy of recycled players, but the results show that he did not improve the team enough. Lyon's legacy is going to be as an ordinary coach with a great game plan (inherited from Roosy). Ross failed to motivate, encourage and develop juniors into seniors. Name one forward that he has developed in 5yrs...can you name a backman that Lyon debuted as a senior AFL player and that Lyon himself had developed in 5 yrs? No you cannot.. The board made the right decision to appoint Pelchen and the board new that Lyon had failed our club.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

If you're going to attribute retarded opinions to Leigh Matthews do try to ascertain what Matthews actually thinks.

In Matthews' opinion (as articulated on Saturday after the match against Freo) Ross Lyon is the best coach in the competition and the coach he would hire first if he was running a club.

"If I was at a club and we were going to get another coach I reckon Ross Lyon would be the top of the heap."

http://media.mytalk.com.au/3AW/AUDIO/21 ... ledit2.mp3

I know it's hard for you to listen to the opinion of those you profess to follow instead of spewing forth your usual bombastic piffle. But it would do your credibility as an aspiring commentator no end of good.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:If you're going to attribute retarded opinions to Leigh Matthews do try to ascertain what Matthews actually thinks.

In Matthews' opinion (as articulated on Saturday after the match against Freo) Ross Lyon is the best coach in the competition and the coach he would hire first if he was running a club.

"If I was at a club and we were going to get another coach I reckon Ross Lyon would be the top of the heap."

http://media.mytalk.com.au/3AW/AUDIO/21 ... ledit2.mp3

I know it's hard for you to listen to the opinion of those you profess to follow instead of spewing forth your usual bombastic piffle. But it would do your credibility as an aspiring commentator no end of good.
Good to hear from you again Ross.
How is the west treating you?
Thanks again for taking condom-kid with you, if not for him you may have beat us by at least another 2 goals.
Have you got Freo running laps and doing push ups this week, surely 14 goals wasn't part of your plan?

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ok thanks for the audio. I must have confused Lethal's views on RL the person, as opposed to his view on RL's ability to coach an AFL team.

Does that mean I should change my view on RL?? I don't think so. Lyon stuffed up with team selections and with strategies for September success in 2009. That's when I saw failings in the bloke. That's fair enough, he was still learning in '09, but he has no right to blame everyone else except himself for the Saints not getting over the line. He lost me with his attitude and not admitting to his mistakes. Lyon questioned our players work ethic, their loyalty and their determination to go again after 2009. Had he introduced young palyers into the team a lot earlier and had he played them throughout '07, '08 and '09, perhaps Saints might have won at least one flag under him.

His persistence in retaining older players on the list instead of culling at end of 09 and 10 was blindingly wrong. He only retained them and he only brought in established 'role' players for self-pereservation, not because they were going to be the best option for the club to aim for a flag. Had Ross remained at the Saints he knew he would have to rebuild somewhat and perhaps bottomming out was his greatest fear. He lacks faith in people, he lacks a certain empathy and bond with his players and he lacks positive energy. As I said, ultimately history will judge his coaching ability.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Some people have no clue, quite sad. I mean honestly.

Why cant people just admit that Ross Lyon is one of the best coaches in the league. He brought so much to the team and almost took us to the pinnacle twice. If it wasnt for some players we would of won a premiership. We lost 09 by 12 points, was it? And drew the 10 Grand Final. When its that close, its the players. Ross Gave us the best opportunity to win grand finals with our list, which had clear deficiencies.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:History will judge him. There are some, like the player of the century, that have their doubts about Lyon. I'd be taking his opinion before I listen to hacks and journos that rate him. Lethal rated the Saints list and he should know because he coached against them. Others perpetuate a myth about Lyon taking over an ordinary list.

Ross failed to develop our list. Maybe he had the best intentions with his philosophy of recycled players, but the results show that he did not improve the team enough. Lyon's legacy is going to be as an ordinary coach with a great game plan (inherited from Roosy). Ross failed to motivate, encourage and develop juniors into seniors. Name one forward that he has developed in 5yrs...can you name a backman that Lyon debuted as a senior AFL player and that Lyon himself had developed in 5 yrs? No you cannot.. The board made the right decision to appoint Pelchen and the board new that Lyon had failed our club.
Full of errors as already pointed out by one poster with your misrepresentation of Matthews views.

Lyon did not take over an ordinary list... again distortion on your part. However I certainly believe that while Lyon took over a relatively good senior team with a stellar core, that it had had some major deficiencies and that the total list lacked depth and was bereft of young talent when Lyon inherited it. Moreover quite a few key players were injury ravaged (Hamill, Maguire, X )or were older and about to retire (Thommo etc). It was a team was ripe to have had the next generation injected into it...but the reality was that the cupboard was bare of good talent. We had fallen behind in the "recruiting wars".

A key reason for this was a number of years of very poor recruiting of younger players. It is very hard to develop young players when the list is basically bereft of them. If you think not then please make a list of all the gifted young players that were not developed. No instead you will have list of players like Howard, Sweeney, Cahill and the like. Indeed and I have been harsh on GT in his final years, but I now understand that part of GT's problem (and he had others) was the lack of quality kids that our under-performing recruiting team was delivering.

Lyon hit upon a strategy to make best use of the players he had, and could get easily. In this he was not original having come from the Swans where a "Moneyball" like strategy was in place. Where Lyon did innovate was in his gameplan, which for a while left other teams floundering. It made the most of our strengths, and masked our weaknesses......as well as importantly making the most of the players we had, or could easily trade for.

If one looks honestly at the kids we have drafted, one can see a sharp improvement over the last two seasons..one of which was when Lyon was Coach. however this is not due to the coach in Lyon, or Watters...but rather is the result of our Recruiting Department finally getting back to a competitive AFL standard after having been been AWOL for many years.

Lyon was put in place to take the team to the next step (I think that was the term announced at the time)...which is exactly what he did.

He did not win the job on a platform of a complete rebuild from the ground up.
Scollop wrote: an ordinary coach with a great game plan (inherited from Roosy).
Your clear lack of understanding of the different gameplans of the Swans and the Saints is probably why you think Lyon a poor coach, while Matthews rates him as a coach.

Lastly: I hate the way Lyon departed the club. Was immoral in my view. But that does not alter that on the whole, and no one is perfect, that he coached the Saints very well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

How come Jimmy Gwilt wasn't on the field in the GF in '09 - Gwilt should've played instead of others. Geary was used in lots of home and away games and Lyon had no faith in the kid for the finals series in 2009. His bang and crash style of footy would've helped on that wet slippery turf...Armo and Ben Mac could've been given a few extra games in 2009 to ease the workload on King and Gardi, and the other mids. Blake and Eddy should've been dropped for few extra games throughout that year as could have Dempster. Luke Miles definitely deserved to play a senior AFL game and he wasn't given a go for a verrryy verrry long time....and 4-5 weeks later he gets delisted?? The head coach may not have had any input in recruiting in his first couple of years, but how the hell can you forgive him for the monumental errors at the end of '09 and '10?? You've got lots of excuses for Lyon...you've learnt from him I see.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:How come Jimmy Gwilt wasn't on the field in the GF in '09 - Gwilt should've played instead of others. Geary was used in lots of home and away games and Lyon had no faith in the kid for the finals series in 2009. His bang and crash style of footy would've helped on that wet slippery turf...Armo and Ben Mac could've been given a few extra games in 2009 to ease the workload on King and Gardi, and the other mids. Blake and Eddy should've been dropped for few extra games throughout that year as could have Dempster. Luke Miles definitely deserved to play a senior AFL game and he wasn't given a go for a verrryy verrry long time....and 4-5 weeks later he gets delisted?? The head coach may not have had any input in recruiting in his first couple of years, but how the hell can you forgive him for the monumental errors at the end of '09 and '10?? You've got lots of excuses for Lyon...you've learnt from him I see.

Not sure juimmy was playing well at the time. Geary was given many games and his form meant he was dropped at the time. Eddy played not really instead of Geary but he obviously didnt want both and fair enough because you would whinging that neither should have played. Armo obviously had things to work on because the previous year the coach who doesnt play young blokes played 13 games in his second year. ben was a very young ruckman who still cops it and you expected him to play alot more games back then. reckon that is a huge hindsight call even for you. Luke Miles was very limited football and only got the last 2 games to give guys a rest. Nootice how he wasnt wanted by any other side. By the way how many games did you see Luke play? You are a great hindsight coach. Expecting similar from you if SW fails as well.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:How come Jimmy Gwilt wasn't on the field in the GF in '09 - Gwilt should've played instead of others. Geary was used in lots of home and away games and Lyon had no faith in the kid for the finals series in 2009. His bang and crash style of footy would've helped on that wet slippery turf...Armo and Ben Mac could've been given a few extra games in 2009 to ease the workload on King and Gardi, and the other mids. Blake and Eddy should've been dropped for few extra games throughout that year as could have Dempster. Luke Miles definitely deserved to play a senior AFL game and he wasn't given a go for a verrryy verrry long time....and 4-5 weeks later he gets delisted?? The head coach may not have had any input in recruiting in his first couple of years, but how the hell can you forgive him for the monumental errors at the end of '09 and '10?? You've got lots of excuses for Lyon...you've learnt from him I see.
It's good that you had some ideas to improve a winning line up that won 19 straight but here are some facts. Gards also missed quite a number of games in the second half of 2009 after that round 13 clash against the Cats. Dempster only came into the side in the second half of that year as well and he was in and out.

Blake was contributing well and did not deserve to be dropped. From memory he was playing on some good forward (both short and tall) such as Cloke and was an intergral part of the backline. It allowed us to get Fisher free which was a key part of us setting up.

Miles firts played in 2010 and was delisted at the end of that season.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

That was a staged event if i have ever seen one..I guess it was touching though.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I feel like my girlfriend dumped me for a new bloke.
then the new bloke comes to my house for dinner and bangs my new girlfriend before flying back to my old girlfriend. shattered and humiliated.
Some people probably feel like they have been banged by the bloke. :shock:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy should have played in the GF in '09. He was ready and he showed he could handle senior footy and finals...he debuted 3 years before that (I think it was 3 years before - something that actually gives young guys a taste and gives them confidence and experience and faith from the coach - something alien to Lyon regarding young blokes). Your evidence about Miles not getting picked up backs your argument, but sometimes recruiters just miss these blokes....There are countless players in the SANFL, WAFL and VFL who have been picked up in in their mid 20's...Lyon was playing blokes in consecutive GF's and then delisting them. How do you explain that?

With regard to Scotty...I'll be a lot more forgiving with whatever he does... I never liked Ross's attitude or personality...I only put up with the pr1ck because he coached the team I barrack for...he stuffed up the best chance we had at winning a flag in my 40 years of following the Saints...Oh and another thing...You also have lots of excuses for Lyon

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

One of the odd things about losing Grand Finals is that you can only lose one, if you get in one.

IMO if we had not had had Lyon as coach we would not have got into any Grand Finals in that period.

While some want to bitch and moan now.....2009 was just about the most dominant year in football by any team ever...only marred by losing the GF. If it had been a "development year" that would not have occurred.

The GF was lost because several players missed easy easy goals, or even that last fantastic spoil of Dawson's going unluckily to Scarlett's boot......and not because players like Gwilt did not play. The team picked was good enough to win....got in position to win....but blew it with shanked shots on goal.

The game should have been over by half-time.

As for Gwilt and Lyon....Lyon clearly liked what he saw and persevered with him in a number of roles till he hot his straps on half-back. He is clearly an example of a younger player that was developed and bloomed under Lyon.

Young talent not developed: I am still waiting a for a list of all the young players that were good enough, who did not make it due to Lyon. IMO the talent was very thin, and that the best of a thin group is still at the club. The difference between Lyon and many StKilda fans is that he took a good hard look at what he had....whereas the average fan will have almost anyone that pulls on a StKilda jumper as a potential star.

What I did observe under Lyon was that many players became better players under him, more well rounded and far more disciplined.
In this era of complete "team-football"......you will not be able to compete if you cannot play like a team. Just look at the supposedly talent laden Dees for a case-study on that.

But was Lyon perfect? No.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Jimmy should have played in the GF in '09. He was ready and he showed he could handle senior footy and finals...he debuted 3 years before that (I think it was 3 years before - something that actually gives young guys a taste and gives them confidence and experience and faith from the coach - something alien to Lyon regarding young blokes). Your evidence about Miles not getting picked up backs your argument, but sometimes recruiters just miss these blokes....There are countless players in the SANFL, WAFL and VFL who have been picked up in in their mid 20's...Lyon was playing blokes in consecutive GF's and then delisting them. How do you explain that?

With regard to Scotty...I'll be a lot more forgiving with whatever he does... I never liked Ross's attitude or personality...I only put up with the pr1ck because he coached the team I barrack for...he stuffed up the best chance we had at winning a flag in my 40 years of following the Saints...Oh and another thing...You also have lots of excuses for Lyon

You still havent read that book. There is another one as well, AFL for dummies, maybe try that. RL got us into a position to have our best chance to win a GF. How you cant see that just proves you need to read that book. Anyway you and me probably know bugger all about AFL coaches. I will go with the guys who would know and they all rate RL in the top 2 or 3 coaches in the AFL.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Get a grip, will you...we would've got into GF's with other coaches because the blueprint was there...the list was there...Gwilt was there...Gramm was there, the players who were potential match winners were there... Who did Lyon bring in...Zac bloody Dawson and a swag of recycled rejects...some of them worked hard and played a part...but most of them were passengers or not even good enough to get regular senior games...I just don't like that style of list buiding

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Has anyone ever wondered why so many St Kilda players are such poor kicks?

:idea: have a look at the recruiters...rather than the coaches...and I include GT in that.

I mean has anyone else noticed how few good to great kicks the Saints have had over the last decade or so?.....whereas we have had an abundance of "shankers"?

When someone like Siposs arrives who can actually kick a ball accurately we fall over ourselves wanting him in the seniors. Whata novelty...a player that can actually kick the ball well!!!

For a long, long period our recruiters clearly did not value footskills highly, if at all...and it has only been the last two drafts where good footskills has been a signicant criteria.

We looked at "fooballers" and "roughies"......but what this bias led to was in the main a group of players that other clubs had passed over.

How many good kicks?. Geeze the cupboard was bare. BJ, Dal and Gwilt spring to mine. Whereas how many poor to bad kicks = the majority of selections. Don't get me wrong....there is nothing wrong with having some players in your team who excel in some criteria which overcomes a lack of good ball skills. ie Lenny. But if you mainly have so-so kicks in an era where turnovers are ruthlessy punished, then there is pain to be had.

BJ at No 1...was a great kick when taken. No credit to the recruiters there as he was an obvious pick...
Dal was a great pick...but stands out like a beacon.
Gwilt was a smokie.
And the other young draftees that could kick well were????????????????????

A few less shanks in both the PA and Fre watches and you would have another 8 points.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Get a grip, will you...we would've got into GF's with other coaches because the blueprint was there...the list was there...Gwilt was there...Gramm was there, the players who were potential match winners were there... Who did Lyon bring in...Zac bloody Dawson and a swag of recycled rejects...some of them worked hard and played a part...but most of them were passengers or not even good enough to get regular senior games...I just don't like that style of list buiding

Why didnt we get there in previous years to RL. We also had Hamill, Penny, Harvs, Voss and one or two others. Simple statement but you are wrong. Clubs just dont get into 2 GF's unless they have a great coach.

And I have never once said i like that style of list building. it is my opinion and things that I have heard that RL made a decision very early that our list had about 4-5 years to win a flag. He knew the young bokes coming up werent that good and even the ones he recruited wouldnt be ready in that period. I actually wrote on here before we even made a GF that RL is making a decision that will mean if we dont win a flag we will be crap in a few years. Got bagged as a non Saints supporter at the time. In hindsight we didnt win the flag so it was the wrong decision you could say but in hindsight it was worth it. It was the ride of my AFL footy life and that started in 1968.