Saint v Pies - Preview / Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saint v Pies - Preview / Discussion

Dan Warna wrote:We have the players to win, its our mind set and discipline that is question.

Hawks are pretty much the same team that's been languishing as a good but not great team for the past few seasons, but have re-awakened their desire.

Our desire is what keeps us from being a great team. we just don't want it as much as others...when it counts.

oh some do, lenny, BJ and reiwoldt and a few others.

We will win if we want to win.
Ridiculous comment

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:The "Max Factor" should give us good defensive FOUNDATION for the game :wink:
Look out, it's Ken Dodd! :D :wink:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:We have the players to win, its our mind set and discipline that is question.

Hawks are pretty much the same team that's been languishing as a good but not great team for the past few seasons, but have re-awakened their desire.

Our desire is what keeps us from being a great team. we just don't want it as much as others...when it counts.

oh some do, lenny, BJ and reiwoldt and a few others.

We will win if we want to win.
Ridiculous comment
As opposed to all those teams that trot out on any given weekend wanting to lose or wanting merely to enjoy the winter sunshine...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintly
Saintsational Legend

He knows exactly what to say,.!! it sounds like something the coaches would have said at the end of the game!!!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Welling ham back annoys.... plays out of his skin against us and goes back to being a puncy model a week later...

“Yeah….nah””
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I'll prolly get shot down with stats here but I dont see Swan as a ball winner (Pendlebury is) but more of an outside runner and for that reason I'd like to see Dempster run with him when he goes forward. Pendlebury seems untaggable so let him go head to head with Hayes and Jones to tag Beams out of the game. Teams have been successful against the Filth when their captain is tagged. Maybe a job for Gilbert.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Old Mate wrote:I'll prolly get shot down with stats here but I dont see Swan as a ball winner (Pendlebury is) but more of an outside runner and for that reason I'd like to see Dempster run with him when he goes forward. Pendlebury seems untaggable so let him go head to head with Hayes and Jones to tag Beams out of the game. Teams have been successful against the Filth when their captain is tagged. Maybe a job for Gilbert.
Stats can be used to prop up any old rubbish. The impotant thing is where the possies are and how they are won. Ablett gets 30+ but his team is s*** so his overall effect is dampened.
Swan is an outside player as u say, starve his feeders and kill his impact. Recall Bakes playing on Judd a few years ago, kept him to 3 kicks.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
dragit
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
Old Mate wrote:I'll prolly get shot down with stats here but I dont see Swan as a ball winner (Pendlebury is) but more of an outside runner and for that reason I'd like to see Dempster run with him when he goes forward. Pendlebury seems untaggable so let him go head to head with Hayes and Jones to tag Beams out of the game. Teams have been successful against the Filth when their captain is tagged. Maybe a job for Gilbert.
Stats can be used to prop up any old rubbish. The impotant thing is where the possies are and how they are won. Ablett gets 30+ but his team is s*** so his overall effect is dampened.
Swan is an outside player as u say, starve his feeders and kill his impact. Recall Bakes playing on Judd a few years ago, kept him to 3 kicks.
Stats aren't everything, but Swan is definitely a ball winner, same amount of clearances as Lenny this year, comfortably their best contested ball winner…
Maxwell is a spud, happy for him to run riot with his 12 disposals like usual.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:

Pretty sure that was Judd.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
Stats aren't everything, but Swan is definitely a ball winner, same amount of clearances as Lenny this year, comfortably their best contested ball winner…
Maxwell is a spud, happy for him to run riot with his 12 disposals like usual.
Point taken and I saw this response coming. Clearances are different to contested possessions (winning your own footy) but I have looked up his stats and read that Swan has done quite well in that area as well. I'm still not completely sold cos IMO his best work is done by gut running and spreading from the contest and moving forward. I don't see him as a bash and crash Ball, Hayes, Boyd type who gives the ball out to the receivers, quite the opposite, I see him more as a receiver. That's where he's at his most dangerous anyway. I guess with Ball out longterm and Pendlebury missing a bit of footy he's had an opportunity to win his own ball more often, or at least had to. I reckon you underrate Maxwell cos of your hatred but each to their own.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I hear you and agree, the hatred is pretty strong, but I honestly don't think Maxwell is a very damaging player. He's pretty good at being '3rd man up', but I think thats a pretty easy role really. Our equivalent player would be a Dempster or Simpkin, not really tagging material IMO.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Our mid-field always do ok against the pies , I think our problem is we never man up on shaw , obrien and maxwell . one of them always goes third man up against our forwards . We've made it far to easy for them in the past , hopefully with the ball coming in a bit quicker this year and watters knowing the importance of these three , we can combat there influence .

In red white and black from 73
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wellingham returns, O'Brien, Thomas, Jolly, Sidebottom all up for selection.

(though I heard Thomas still could be iffy)

So in effect could be their best team out there, which is fine, but none the less....a challenge.

SMS
Club Player

SIMPLE: We have ONE loss in the bank left.

Use it this week then we must beat CATS and BLUES.

WIN this week we can afford to DROP one against CATS or BLUES

We must win 2 of three games - PIES, CATS and BLUES!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote: Point taken and I saw this response coming. Clearances are different to contested possessions (winning your own footy) but I have looked up his stats and read that Swan has done quite well in that area as well. I'm still not completely sold cos IMO his best work is done by gut running and spreading from the contest and moving forward. I don't see him as a bash and crash Ball, Hayes, Boyd type who gives the ball out to the receivers, quite the opposite, I see him more as a receiver. That's where he's at his most dangerous anyway. I guess with Ball out longterm and Pendlebury missing a bit of footy he's had an opportunity to win his own ball more often, or at least had to. I reckon you underrate Maxwell cos of your hatred but each to their own.
I bet you that Watters tags Pendlebury and Beams and tries to take Shaw out of the game. Someone will go head to head with Swan.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
paddy
Club Player

let BJ play like he did last week....

he ran with the doggies best, and played out of his skin....

it will confuse them, and keeps everyone accountable.... love it

Think that Fish will get Cloke, and Simpkin will get Dawes...

CJ or MOnty to beams, and maybe dal or cj with pendles...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:

Maybe that shows we should be patient with Gwilt, instead of writing him off like many on here are. .
Who is writing him off?

No one has said that his current poor kicking is permanent....it is just the reality that in terms of his kicking that he loks like not being right till 2013.

The resat of his game is fine.

IMO what the coach should tell him to do this season is to retire his 5/60 m kicks as much as possible or when he goes for maximum distance his accuracy is shocking.
His kicking < 40 m is ok.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....