Pick 19 and some other nobody for a club champion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 19 and some other nobody for a club champion

Recent draft picks have netted us Jack Newnes, Daniel Markwoth, Nathan Wright, Jimmy Webster, Seb Ross, and Josh Saunders, and none of those were inside the top 20 picks. Lee and Hickey will be good players, as will Roberton. These guys will form the basis of the new generation team. No point topping up on a group of kids with some mediocre 28 year olds. Just draft more youngsters. Once you have a solid group that can form a full team, then bring in some free agents for a little icing on the cake.

All the hand wringing is pointless. We have to create a new generation playing group, and hanging on to all the older players won't help. In 2000, we were rock bottom. In 2004 we played in a preliminary final. It can be done. Next year, we'll most likely be where we were on the ladder in 2000. The difference is that we have already put the wheels in motion this time. Patience.........patience. As much as it pains us to see people like Dal Santo go elsewhere, the club's overall strategy is correct.

Where we finish on the ladder in the next two seasons is irrelevant, so there's no point getting worked up about it. The Bulldogs have taken their medicine, and now the ship is turning. Our strategy is not too different to theirs, is it (does Brian Lake ring a bell)?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We have always seemed a reactive disorganised club operating on a shoe string budget and antiquated ideas. Then we exploited the priority pick situation in the early 2000s and built a killer list from the ground up.

We have bought in two strong willed power plant individuals that are locking horns in trying to scramble the club into success. Pelchen isn't some snake oil salesman he has an impeccable history in list management and planning strategic development and sustained success.

Scott has bought in a lot of off field models from Collingwood one of the richest clubs who have used international modelling to build a club that has the reputation as the flagship of the competition. He has demanded we improve a lot of areas that we were lacking in.

we are in a terrible place off field but the reasons behind that lay up to 5 years ago where we stopped improving the list and failed to play kids.

We should back the current administration because even if they are not on the right track bringing in a new lot 2 years into a restructure will just put us back to the spot we were when it started and we will not know if they are on the right path anymore than we know that these guys are.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Recent draft picks have netted us Jack Newnes, Daniel Markwoth, Nathan Wright, Jimmy Webster, Seb Ross, and Josh Saunders, and none of those were inside the top 20 picks. Lee and Hickey will be good players, as will Roberton. These guys will form the basis of the new generation team. No point topping up on a group of kids with some mediocre 28 year olds. Just draft more youngsters. Once you have a solid group that can form a full team, then bring in some free agents for a little icing on the cake.

All the hand wringing is pointless. We have to create a new generation playing group, and hanging on to all the older players won't help. In 2000, we were rock bottom. In 2004 we played in a preliminary final. It can be done. Next year, we'll most likely be where we were on the ladder in 2000. The difference is that we have already put the wheels in motion this time. Patience.........patience. As much as it pains us to see people like Dal Santo go elsewhere, the club's overall strategy is correct.

Where we finish on the ladder in the next two seasons is irrelevant, so there's no point getting worked up about it. The Bulldogs have taken their medicine, and now the ship is turning. Our strategy is not too different to theirs, is it (does Brian Lake ring a bell)?
Good post.

kp83
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:I have faith in Pelchen to avoid picking an Eddy, McQualter, Peake type.
He is a hardened, seasoned, analytical and realistic recruiter. He has a vision and has more qualifications than any keyboard heroes on this forum.
We are all sad, just like when plugger left, but we need to not boo NDS and be thankful for his passion and service.
I am confident the Pelch will get us players with skill, hunger, and the right attitude to step up to the next level. His reputation precedes him and he will never be happy with second best.
Well said.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:So if not patching holes and avoiding Eddy (Rookie Draft? McQualters)

WTF did he recruit
Milera 23, Shenton 22, Lee 21, Saad 22, Dunnell 21, Maister 27 ??????? Over his first two years????
I know.

All those players are s***.
Milera - Soft as butter
Shenton - who the f*** is shenton?
Lee - Slow and dopey. Can kick ok but doesn't have the ferocity needed at AFL
Dunnel - s***
Maister - s*** and has an angry expression all the time

More of that from Pelchen? The pain is will long and horrible.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
bergsone
SS Life Member

Nobody who runs out on a footy field is soft

Middo
Club Player

BigMart wrote:So if not patching holes and avoiding Eddy (Rookie Draft? McQualters)

WTF did he recruit
Milera 23, Shenton 22, Lee 21, Saad 22, Dunnell 21, Maister 27 ??????? Over his first two years????

That's right.... We needed to address the (VFL) hole in out list from 24-27??? Yet trades away the third best player in that group? And no doubt the future leader of the club.... Jack might be the most talented, Ben certainly the best Leader!

Why is Pelchin the saviour on here?? Why is his list management scrutinised?? Why is SW safe??
Neither have made any ultimately successful decisions yet? And the club is now worse in all areas (except SC) than when hey arrived? The club is now an I attractive, almost basket case, rated by almost everyone to finish bottom.... And yet we support those who run the joint, accepting it is part of some grand plan to deliver us glory???

Seriously, it's a friggin joke... ATM
You won't find a footy expert who wouldn't declare the McEvoy trade a win? Most are happy to see Dal go (to get some deserved success elsewhere) but looking past absolute blind loyalty to the club.... Please don't tell me North aren't beside themselves..... And we live in hope a mid twenties pick like Howard, Cripps, Ross actually comes good? Gawd!

All I hear is crap like 'in pelican we trust'

Why?

A 40 page plan we haven't seen?

What I hear, is the coach (like the last one) doesn't agree with him?! They are at odds, and for a guy who was a glorified list manager at Port & Hawthorn (who fluffed more DPs than he should of thankfully) he has too much power...

Maybe if SW does deliver us a premiership.... He can hold the cup aloft with the captain... And knock Tyrion Lannister off the stage.... It seems we all believe he is the true architect

FFS
Found one footy expert in Brett Anderson from inside footy and he reckoned we did alright and Emma Quayle reckons we did ok ...I reckon you will have a whinge about Longer wanting to come to us..FFS just shut up you're making us Tassie guys look like bloody idiots !!!

PS In the Pelican I trust ..

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:people shouldn't post after drinking.

Make fools of themselves
+ 1

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
we are in a terrible place off field but the reasons behind that lay up to 5 years ago where we stopped improving the list and failed to play kids.

Personally I view the second part as incorrect as in essence we had few talented kids. Anyone that was any good got played. Unfortunately our inept recruiting team kept selecting way too many duds like Howard. Picking at the Cats No 2 recruiting guys only made matters worse as he proved with us that he was not a No 1 recruiting guy!!!

I personally have no issue with Lyon trading in some players to improve our tilt at a flag and it almost worked.

However the biggest problem was that on the last part of the GT era, and the early part of the Lyon was that we arguably had the worst recruiters of kids in the AFL.

We basically "self-penalised" ourselves due to this. Both GT and RL had to carry a massive handicap.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:I have faith in Pelchen to avoid picking an Eddy, McQualter, Peake type.
He is a hardened, seasoned, analytical and realistic recruiter. He has a vision and has more qualifications than any keyboard heroes on this forum.
Sometimes we put too much blind faith in these guys. We've recruited badly for ages, and supposedly had some great scouts in Peake and Beverage at the helm.

AFL recruiting is hit and miss, predominantly because the scouting is quite ordinary and because, in a physical game, players don't physically mature until 20-21.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Con

I don't live in Tassie.... But, carry on regardless?!

JB
Don't drink, occasional typos

And everyone
It's not my position or responsibility to 'come up with solutions' why would/should I? Are they going to be used?!
FFS
But, I can judge decisions made by those whose responsibility it is to
And there are a number of measures that indicate a decline.... Not a natural decline.... An alarming drop off

In every area

I love the optimism.... But please, in Pelchin we trust....

Laughable

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Con

I don't live in Tassie.... But, carry on regardless?!

JB
Don't drink, occasional typos

And everyone
It's not my position or responsibility to 'come up with solutions' why would/should I? Are they going to be used?!
FFS
But, I can judge decisions made by those whose responsibility it is to
And there are a number of measures that indicate a decline.... Not a natural decline.... An alarming drop off

In every area

I love the optimism.... But please, in Pelchin we trust....

Laughable

Didnt the WB have an alarming drop off and didnt the pies have an alarming drop off after their second GF in 2003 and even the hawks in that period. Plenty of clubs and even the bigger ones have alarming drop offs. Anyone who couldnt see it happening was living under a rock. Certainly sainter K saw it coming and she doesnt play footy.

ace
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
ralphsmith wrote:dal santo...the most skillful stkilda player to pull on a boot...for this club

idiotic decision to get rid of a player of this calibre

Is Pelchen being paid by Demetriou to bring ruin to stkilda?
Have you read or heard the interview with his manager?
He wanted to go....
What would you have done?
Personally I think the compo pick we receive is unders. Essentially rated the same as Colin bloody Sylvia.
But he wanted to go. Why keep someone who doesn't want to be at the club?
I think we probably got fair compensation for Dal Santo given the number of years he has left.
BUT Colin Bloody Silvia should have been an end of round 2 pick at best.
The AFL probably were overly sympathetic to Melbourne given their plight of recent years and refusal of a special assistance start of draft compensation pick No 1.

Hawthorn got raped by the AFL over Buddy Franklin.
That is a relief for St Kilda as it seems the AFL is only capable of raping one club at a time.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote:Sorry, Dal is not the most skilful player the Saints have had. You may not be old enough to have seen Ian Stewart. Stevie won 2 brown lows with us and 1 with Richmond.
The Doc also had a few skills.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

starsign wrote:
ralphsmith wrote:dal santo...the most skillful stkilda player to pull on a boot...for this club

idiotic decision to get rid of a player of this calibre

Is Pelchen being paid by Demetriou to bring ruin to stkilda?
Opening statement is just bullshite mate so ur wasting ur breath
Wow so eloquently put!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote:Sorry, Dal is not the most skilful player the Saints have had. You may not be old enough to have seen Ian Stewart. Stevie won 2 brown lows with us and 1 with Richmond.
and a bloke named Winmar could play skillfully too

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.