Rhys Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley

Stanley will play 3 rd forward, and hopefully develop into the CHF role when Roo goes.

Forget his 2013, it was all wrong....imagine his progression from 2012 when he was starting to look the goods.

Nee!
saint6709
Club Player

I am expecting some serious SSS action in 2014 -Stanley, Siposs, Simpkin - these guys all had forgetable 2013's and should be ready to deliver next year

Gurgman
Club Player

gringo wrote:His value was rubbished by being played out of position. He was starting to show some promise before being made to play as a KPB. It doesn't suit any of his strengths. He should actually be the biggest winner out of ruce and delaney's recruitment.
He may have been played out of postion but that doesnt stop him from trying ,he looked liked a kid who spat the dummy last year , needs to grow up and harden tfu ,just being able to run desnt make you a footballer

And i thought this was a forum
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Stanley wont be around in 5 years. He is a great Athlete, but I really don't think he will be a very good/great player in the AFL. Really, he hasn't showed a hell of a lot of "Football Ability", well not enough to excite me for the long term.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Needs to get a kick and kick a few bags in the VFL as a fwd before I get excited about him again.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:' the club see's him as a Roo succession'

Roo kicked 67 goals in 2004 - age 21.

Rhys would want to get one hell of a wriggle on to be considered in the same breath as Roo.

I think White is a better bet than Rhys. White needs to get his wrist ok which may take some time but seems far more capable of kicking goals and marking inside 50 than Rhys.
The game of afl was very different in 04 con figure is useless

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:

Rhys would want to get one hell of a wriggle on to be considered in the same breath as Roo.

I think White is a better bet than Rhys. White needs to get his wrist ok which may take some time but seems far more capable of kicking goals and marking inside 50 than Rhys.
What would be a more useful measure ?
Ok so you dont like goals scored as a measure.
Are you inferring Rhys's career actually compares favourably to Roos at the same age ?
To get the 67 goals roo had to run and time his leads and take contested marks.
So surely goals tell us Roo was pretty bloody good in 04.
What are you trying to say ? Im not sure what the post was trying to say ?
Can you elaborate ?
Was it on topic or purely about the relative importance of goals .

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

apart from gary ablett sr
every other star fwd I can think of was already a star at 21.

Stanley is a Ruckman or nothing imho.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Ill be shot down by plugger who is the most in the know due to his 'inside' knowledge.
I think Plugger no longer lives wit his "inside knowledge" and so is back to be a mere mortal like the rest of us.

I think I never had inside knowledge and even if i did or do it doesnt change opinions. That is what Con just doesnt get. Inside knowledge is a guy saying Ben will be traded for pick 19. Opinions are White still has plenty of work to do before he will make it as an AFL footballer.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

con think about the coleman this year and the total kicked... compare that to the amounts kicked in 04 there's my point.

The Stan will not be another roo but could fill that role in the future if he can come good... time will tell.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Stanley probably had 67 kicked on him this year?!

Most were lauding the moves of

Stanley to KPD
Siposs to HB

In the pre season last year..... Back flips?!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

mr hindsight....again

stanley wasnt comfy down back
he was worried about making a mistake in the back half and getting the ball turned over by his opp

the kid will be a player
said it from day one
no f****** hindsight here

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Stanley probably had 67 kicked on him this year?!

Stanley to KPD
Siposs to HB

I was pretty sure you were happy with Siposs down back. matter of fact certain. 67 goals. That figure is based on?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
ShanghaiSaint wrote:

What would be a more useful measure ?
Ok so you dont like goals scored as a measure.
Are you inferring Rhys's career actually compares favourably to Roos at the same age ?
To get the 67 goals roo had to run and time his leads and take contested marks.
So surely goals tell us Roo was pretty bloody good in 04.
What are you trying to say ? Im not sure what the post was trying to say ?
Can you elaborate ?
Was it on topic or purely about the relative importance of goals .

seriously it's absolutely pointless to compare two footballers that have had completely different paths. Roo sat out his first year but then was played in every available game as a number 1 pick forward and the hope of the clubs fans. He was played along side a hulking forward in Gherig and had Hammer to big brother him when targeted by the opposition wanting to rough him up. then if the third tall went to Roo Kosi was waiting.

Stanley has hardly had a full season available when he's not injured. He has ben played as a FB, a CHB, on a back wing, a ruck, a forward, a ruck/ forward and anywhere they could plonk him.

Goddard suffered similarly when Thommo didn't know how to use him to take advantage of his strengths. I think Stanley is at the cross roads but he will be a huge winner in getting two key backs in as he really struggles as an accountable KPP. No different to Gilbert not suiting a KP role. Some players just don't suit that role. He was going well when he could go into the ruck where he was much better than Big Mac and then drift forward as a third tall.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Stanley probably had 67 kicked on him this year?!

Stanley to KPD
Siposs to HB

No backflips at all.
It was always an experiment and was worthwhile.
Nothing wrong with trial and error in footy
Last year was a development year. Only the most one eyed thought anything different.
As for siposs . Jury still out on his position. Maybe he was just injured or unfit.
So there will be plenty more trial and error again this year I suspect.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Fair comments gringo. Agree with all that.
Just saying there are some that think he could still be the alpha dog modern key fwd.
Not saying he cant be a good player but I dont think he will be the full time alpha fwd.
Pav richo roo tippet lloyd rocca grant buddy roughy cameron neitz fev cloke jack riewoldt etc etc were all kicking bags at age 21.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Fair comments gringo. Agree with all that.
Just saying there are some that think he could still be the alpha dog modern key fwd.
Not saying he cant be a good player but I dont think he will be the full time alpha fwd.
Pav richo roo brown carey tippet lloyd rocca grant buddy roughy cameron neitz fev cloke jack riewoldt etc etc were all kicking bags at age 21.
Pods was kicking bags at 21 in the vfl.
Tommy lee was kicking bags in the wafl at 21.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

So based on what I'm reading on here it seems that only an optimist can envisage Stanley making it as a regular senior player.

That's cool. I'm an optimist.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

clarky449 wrote:Stanley wont be around in 5 years. He is a great Athlete, but I really don't think he will be a very good/great player in the AFL. Really, he hasn't showed a hell of a lot of "Football Ability", well not enough to excite me for the long term.
5 years is generous.. IMO he won't be on an AFL list in 2016, he may get a one year contract after we cut him next year and that'll be it..

Unfortunately, he is not a footballer.. Shown next to nothing to suggest he is.. Is half the player Barry Brooks was, let alone any ridiculous Roo comparisons..

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think we have four groups doc

Some see him not making it at all
Some seeing him as a ruckman who goes fwd (im one of these)
Some see him as a permanent key fwd and roo replacement
Some see him a swingman high fwd flank wingman like Richo late in his career

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Rhys will really have to work hard on his game now if he wants to remain at the elite level. The question is: does he have it in him? Time will tell.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

think atm... everyone is a tad confused as to what he is or could be.. (safely rule defender out) Guy needs some time in Hf and ruck forward to settle and show what he can do. If nothing move him off to Port next year if they're still keen.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:apart from gary ablett sr
every other star fwd I can think of was already a star at 21.

Stanley is a Ruckman or nothing imho.
Gehrig
Dunstall

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I always thought Stanley was being groomed to take over from Roo .. a hard running key tall forward. But I was happy to try Stanley down back last year considering we weren't able to find a KPD in last years trade period. I still supported the move until late into the season hoping it might click for him - but I think everyone now concedes he inst going to be a defender. Given that we have now have Bruce & Delaney fair to say his days in defence are gone.

I hope they focus Stanley playing alongside Roo this year and avoid throwing him into the ruck - except maybe to provide a short ruck relief or to do the rucking in the forward half. Personally I would play him at HFF this year. Keep Roo playing the high half forward role and Stanley a bit more stay at home CHF - all the time watching Roo. If he can hold down that position for the next 2 year then it puts us in a good position when Roo calls it quits. If not, well Stanley probably will get traded out at the end of 2014/15.

Siposs, I think is really overrated. His game needs to be a marking mobile forward. I think he has 2 years max left at the club.

If i were a betting man I would say Stanley is a better chance of still being at the club in 2016 than Sipposs.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Zed wrote: If i were a betting man I would say Stanley is a better chance of still being at the club in 2016 than Sipposs.
Interesting to see such a broad collection of perspectives..

In terms of the above quote, I'd bet on the exact opposite.. And I'd bet pretty heavily too...

Siposs is a footballer getting his body up to AFL level.. A lot easier than what Stanley has to do... His body is at the level, but he hasn't got the ability and nous... Much harder to teach, something Siposs has in spades..