Rod Owen Story

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rod Owen Story

Dave McNamara wrote:Wow, that 1978 side! If not for the mid season slump, possibly due to all the fuss following that Effndum game(?), that was a premiership that went begging. And to then lose so many players (for various reasons) and fall to the bottom of the ladder for 12 years... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Young. (How, how, how did George not make our Team of the Century???)
Big Carl.
Mad dog. :D
Sidebottom. (People forget just how good he was when he first started.)
Sarau. (IMHO one of our greatest ruckmen... pioneered the mobile ruckman/come ruckrover.)
Super Duper. (IMHO the second best Saint's rover I've seen. Absolute star.)
Rob Elliott. (Very underrated... as was his bro'.)
Callery.
Barks. :D
Russell Greene. :cry:
Perovic. :cry:
Dunne. (Played a couple of very very good years.)
Rexy Hunt. (Lumbering, but still very good, especially if it was dry.)
Lofts. (IMHO this bloke was one of the most underrated players ever to play for us. A star!)
Joffa Cunningham. (Very young then.)
Colling.

and, Graeme Gellie. (The best Saint's rover I've seen... I'd have him in the Team of the Century... despite only the one season.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0g0QIUMP8c
1:20 in, is a glimpse of Gellie goodness...
wins it under pressure,
then under extreme pressure, spots-up a team mate...
then...
the 'check-side' handball (who performs a 'check-side handball? :shock: :D )...
that forces his team mate to run to the correct position!

Oh, and it ends up at full-forward... and...
Young!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
also noticed rus tweeddale and dougie booth in that clip....

one of our best ever players started in 1978.....greg burns......didn't notice him in the clip....but yes we were a great side....tough too....gary colling and jimmy odea were also part of that team......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:By the way I wouldn't have Breen or Young in it.
Then you've forgotten you opening question Pluggs. You asked who in the current team I would leave out so as to include George Young. :idea:

Kah-ching! :wink:

BTW... I thought you didn't do teams...? :?

Did you see a team dave? I remembered your opening question but I just answered your point.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Don't do favourite players as I reckon you have done.
Blokes I'd include are favourite players... but based on my assessment of their footballing ability.

plugger66 wrote:Did you see Stevo play much?

:? Uhmmmm... did you see the Doc play much Pluggs?

(He was probably over-rated, wouldn't you say? :wink: )

plugger66 wrote:Don't do teams
Now why don't I find that surprising...? :lol:
Cant remember seeing Doc playing at all but I didn't replace a player I saw play with a player I never saw when some who did the side chose Loewe over a player they saw play.
And glad its on footy ability but then you go mention Owen and wreck that comment.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

stinger wrote:also noticed rus tweeddale and dougie booth in that clip....

one of our best ever players started in 1978.....greg burns......didn't notice him in the clip....but yes we were a great side....tough too....gary colling and jimmy odea were also part of that team......
Thanks Sting, I knew that I'd be missing some blokes. And Colling was even the captain that season. :oops:

Totally totally agree with you re Greg Burns!!! Hence why I have him as an apology re my Saint's Team of the Century.

Off the top of my head, I'd have Burns and Lofts as the two most under-rated Saints players I've seen. Though for differing reasons, Young and Gellie could also join them. You could probably add to that list too Sting...? (Feel free to temporarily release yourself from that self-imposed ban on answering questions. :wink: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
stinger wrote:also noticed rus tweeddale and dougie booth in that clip....

Thanks Sting, I knew that I'd be missing some blokes. And Colling was even the captain that season. :oops:

Totally totally agree with you re Greg Burns!!! Hence why I have him as an apology re my Saint's Team of the Century.

Off the top of my head, I'd have Burns and Lofts as the two most under-rated Saints players I've seen. Though for differing reasons, Young and Gellie could also join them. You could probably add to that list too Sting...? (Feel free to temporarily release yourself from that self-imposed ban on answering questions. :wink: )

this is the footy forum dave...here i will answer questions from posters i like.....and your on that list mate.....even though you have silly political views..... :wink: :wink:

you have to appreciate that this is my me time....my down time...i only do what suits me.....no offense mate

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

remember a brisbane bear player telling a story about a team night out on the tiles on the Gold Coast one evening with Rod. They did the old trick of glueing a dollar coin on the footpath and watching people go to try and pick it up, while they were propped up inside a pub with beers enjoying the show of these people trying to surreptitiously pocket the coin. Then a street kid or homeless guy came along and after watching the guy really struggle to get the coin, Rod felt sorry for him and organised a collection for the poor bloke amongst the revellers and went outside and gave the guy all the money he collected.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.