Whats the deal with Siposs?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Re: Whats the deal with Siposs?

bergholt wrote:
millarsaint wrote:fact; when he's switched on he is a level above in the VFL. between the ears is the main issue I reckon.
Here's his VFL results the last few years:

2014: 10 games, 7 goals, named in the best 1 time
2013: 7 games, 5 goals, named in the best 1 time
2012: 7 games, 9 goals, named in the best 3 times
2011: 7 games, 8 goals, named in the best 0 times

Looks like he's been getting gradually worse since 2012. Certainly doesn't suggest he's a level above VFL.
Good stat - bad look - I'm a fan but this doesn't read all that well - I hope he smashes it I the off/pre season and lives up to some of the hype that has chased him

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

bergholt wrote:Here's his VFL results the last few years:

2014: 10 games, 7 goals, named in the best 1 time
2013: 7 games, 5 goals, named in the best 1 time
2012: 7 games, 9 goals, named in the best 3 times
2011: 7 games, 8 goals, named in the best 0 times

Looks like he's been getting gradually worse since 2012. Certainly doesn't suggest he's a level above VFL.
But Bergs', if those figures you've quoted are from the 'official' Sandy bests...
then I'd argue he started very well, then second years blues, and Sippa has since been working his way back to his stellar first year form. :lol:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Contracted until next year.

Thought he played his best footy in Scott's first year.

I think we've attempted to crush his ego, and have crushed his spirit....but that's just a casual ob based on a vibe.
Well let's bring back Twatters then

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I honestly think he just believed too much of his own press for a while.

Maybe, just maybe took the foot off and has struggled to catch up ever since.

Football is an unforgiving bitch and will gobble a young player up quick as all hell.

Time is running out. Needs to do absolutely everything he can to make 2015 a good year.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

We all wanted him and to be completely unfair, expected him to simply step into BJs shoes as a second year player.

He has never built the tank up for a real crack but this year could see him step it up - considering he is already training I hope for his sake the penny has finally dropped.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think he arrived at the club when there was no young talent at all - so we & some in the media all got carried away with him and over hyped him way too early. Maybe he believed that for a while too.

But as bigred says - its a brutal game. All of a sudden we have about 12 blokes the same age or younger who are better than him. Can be a cut throat business.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 26 Oct 2014 12:12am, edited 1 time in total.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I hope he can have a good season this year and play plenty of Senior games. If not, it will be his final chance I imagine.

groupie1
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:I'd play him every week. Every. Single. Week.

Right now, he's not going to improve in the twos. He's going to plod along there.

He needs to be thrown in the deep end, he needs to learn how to swim, and when he does, he'll be a player.

Until then, VFL footy isn't going to inspire him.

Unfortunately, different players have different trigger points, and require different methods. Beating Sipposs with a stick and playing him in the VFL just won't do it for his development.

The good news: he's already returned to the club to commence his pre-season. I'm led to believe he, and Tom Lee, have already been hitting the gym. Hopefully they realise it's now or bust.
That's a good point. Needs buy-in from the playing list to defy the 'integrity at selection' principle, but what you say is right. It takes different approaches for different people.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The more i think about it the more I think hes in a bit of trouble.

When he arrived at the club (2010-11) there was essentially no young talent at all. The list of youngsters (under 21s) consisted of only Rhys Stanley, Nick Winmar, Arryn Siposs, Tom Simpkin, Jamie Cripps, Sam Crocker, Tom Ledger.

So amongt that small bunch he looked very good (relatively).

But since then we have added (in order of age):

Bruce, Newnes, Ross, Longer, Webster, Murdoch, Wright, Saunders, Minchington, White, Dunstan, Billings, Templeton, Acres - Thats 14 blokes the same age or younger who are (arguably) better than him.

Now in 4 weeks time we add another 4 kids + Tim Membrey. At least 2 of those 5 will be better than Arryn meaning he might only be the 18th or 19th best player on our list under 23yo.

So hes in a bit of strife ud think unless he really steps it up this year.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The more i think about it the more I think hes in a bit of trouble.

When he arrived at the club (2010-11) there was essentially no young talent at all. The list of youngsters (under 21s) consisted of only Rhys Stanley, Nick Winmar, Arryn Siposs, Tom Simpkin, Jamie Cripps, Sam Crocker, Tom Ledger.

Bruce, Newnes, Ross, Longer, Webster, Murdoch, Wright, Saunders, Minchington, White, Dunstan, Billings, Templeton, Acres - Thats 14 blokes the same age or younger who are (arguably) better than him.

Now in 4 weeks time we add another 4 kids + Tim Membrey. At least 2 of those 5 will be better than Arryn meaning he might only be the 18th or 19th best player on our list under 23yo.

Reality is looking at your strong thread is that he doesn't deserve to be on our list next year.

Sadly out of Milera, 13, Lee and Sippa I fear three of those four will be on our list next year.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The more i think about it the more I think hes in a bit of trouble.

Markworth will be in front too if he can stay fit, plus weller, saad, shenton etc

The guy has it all in front of him, if he makes it, it will take a phenomenal turnaround.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Markworth will be in front too if he can stay fit, plus weller, saad, shenton etc

The guy has it all in front of him, if he makes it, it will take a phenomenal turnaround.
Saad? Do you know something we dont know :)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Working on his fitness, scored 81 runs in the weekend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ace
Saintsational Legend

Year 5 coming.
St Kilda must delist 5 players at the end of the season to have 4 early draft picks and 1 pre-season pick.
He either cements a place in the AFL side or he is one of those who makes way.
Same for Tom Simpkin who has had a rookie year as well.
Both out of contract at the end of 2015.

No pressure.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

Sadly out of Milera, 13, Lee and Sippa I fear three of those four will be on our list next year.

only two...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:

Right now, he's not going to improve in the twos. He's going to plod along there.

He needs to be thrown in the deep end, he needs to learn how to swim, and when he does, he'll be a player.

Unfortunately, different players have different trigger points, and require different methods. Beating Sipposs with a stick and playing him in the VFL just won't do it for his development.

The good news: he's already returned to the club to commence his pre-season. I'm led to believe he, and Tom Lee, have already been hitting the gym. Hopefully they realise it's now or bust.
That's a good point. Needs buy-in from the playing list to defy the 'integrity at selection' principle, but what you say is right. It takes different approaches for different people.
Players buy into an agreed set of values and standards are expected to play/train/act accordingly. I think it is safe to assume that favouritism would not be one of those values.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Don't think he's good enough.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
groupie1 wrote:

Players buy into an agreed set of values and standards are expected to play/train/act accordingly. I think it is safe to assume that favouritism would not be one of those values.
I would say all coaches discriminate against certain players. Different coaches rate different qualities. Ross Lyon's role players with poor disposal wouldn't get into the team at the Hawks under Clarkson. Most teams have regular guys dropped who never make it back once a new coach is appointed. Ross obviously didn't rate guys like Brett Voss who were first picked under GT.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:I know he's not good enough.

Edited for accuracy.