Intra club Sat 21st- teams and news

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Intra club Sat 21st- teams and news

I was there today, definitely a training venue rather than a spectator venue.

I need to memorise player numbers, sometimes i didn't know who had the pill.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:I was there today, definitely a training venue rather than a spectator venue.

Looked like a big a turn out. Heaps of kids there. Was there enough food vans? Toilets?

spot on
Club Player

I went down for a look . First time iv been to seaford and got a little lost and missed the start of the game, so I was disappointed I missed out on seeing mcCartin . It was a great morning down there with a good vibe around the ground.
My thoughts of players are
Lee- looks so much fitter and stronger , if stays fit I'd think.He should play a lot.
Newsy- looks to me like his going to really have a break out year. Played a lot in the middle
Webster- went really hard at the ball and won some good contests off half back. Good disposable too
Shenton - thought he was one of the best. Just seemed to run across the ground with a lot porpose with ball.
Billings - played mostly on the wing and just linked up play very well
Goddard- didn't see him get a lot of ball but his a big unit
Dunstan - I just expect him to continue on from last year. Looks good in the number 7, got a corky in
The bum and sat out the last qr or so
Spencer- seems like he was trying to put a lot more pressure on in the forward line, he did that pretty well. Some of his kicks just seem to lack penetration for a big fella.
Ross- did some really clever handballs but some of his kicks were pretty average. Still think this could be the year he show what he can do.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:I was there today, definitely a training venue rather than a spectator venue.

Looked like a big a turn out. Heaps of kids there. Was there enough food vans? Toilets?
I saw one tiny coffee vendor there ,I didn't venture over to the club rooms area but, dissapointed as I was quite parched

Bring back the Lockett era
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Firstly it was a practice match vs ourselves, but if that is playing bold attacking football through the corridor (Richo), then 2015 is going to be a very long year! Nearly every response out of defence went around the boundary and then kicked to leads into dead pockets.

It was a hot morning, so some excuses but generally our kicking and hand balling skills were below average.

Player reports -
#4 Templeton looked fit and provided some nice run and speed on the far wing.
#5 Savage starting where he finished last year plenty of drive.
#6 Ross gets the ball ok but is always stationary. Caused some bad turnovers by foot. Needs to become more of a give and go player!
#7 Dunstan what you would expect hard tough quality kid.
#8 Acres found plenty of it but like Ross needs 2nd and 3rd efforts and spread. Looks very classy when he has time.
#9 Lee worked well with McCartin. Looks more mobile and up to the speed of the game.
#10 Markworth looks more up to speed of game, things he did were good.
#11 Montagna quite start to 2015 for Monty.
#14 Geary looked sharp and played well down back. Is our best option for opposition small forwards.
#15 Billings to be honest I didnt notice a great deal, but now has the frame of an AFL player.
#16 Newnes shared BOG with Weller IMO.
#17 Roberton a lit more mobile than last year. Some good intercept marking and spoils much improved on last year.
#20 Armitage solid first run.
#21 Delaney solid in defence as expected.
#22 Ray ran hard but usual poor turnovers and out on full.
#23 White if this kid had a tank he could be anything. Some good marks and goals, moved under the ball too easily on occasions, but his big negative is his lack of defensive pressure or 2nd or 3rd efforts.
#24 Dempster never has a bad game!
#25 Fisher back to what we expect from Sammy, a master of reading the play down back. Very eloquent performance just narrow 2nd for BOG.
#26 Curren his skills looked sharper today, did some nice things.
#27 Bruce unsighted, poor game.
#28 Membrey did some nice things, but I thought Goddard had his measurel
#29 Webster was destroyed by Saad for first 2/3, but then got going when Saad went off.
#32 McCartin we have definitely landed a player with this kid. Played the Reiwoldt role and did it brilliantly. Reads the play so well and sets play up just as well. Will be a star!
#33 Goddard another bright performance, went really well beating Membrey and offering plenty of ability in the air. Another
star in the making!
#35 Saunders worked hard but his kicking let him down at crucial times.
#37 Lonie gees there is not much of him, but you have to love how he takes the game on. Got caught trying to it but is a real little goer.
#38 Saad looked brilliant. Speed and elusiveness back to 2013 levels, IMO should be first elevated off rookie list.
#39 Shenton was very solid down back. Might be a smokey to sneak into starting 22.
#40 Sinclair looks like a footballer, hard at it good spread will make it onto senior list when required.
#42 Pierce I was really impressed with Lewis. Has a real future as the tall forward 2nd ruckman role. Looked more capable forward than Bruce and was good in the ruck. Has a real bright future he will be ahead of Longer by years end.
#43 Payne has filled out in the short time he has been at the club. Not intimidated by opponents but has a way to go.
#44 Weller BOG for mine. Was every where and gave White a nice spray when on the mark at one stage. Very humurous.
#45 Holmes improved on last year, good ruckman just needs more exposure and game time.
#46 Baker-Thomas same as Holmes. He looks a lit more ready than last year but still has a way to go! #18 Longer rucked ok but nothing else.

What stands out for me watching to the Saints is we desperately lack 2 or 3 quality running midfielders. We have far too many mids who can win their own or receive the ball but cant do anything effective with it when they get it. Jack Steven will address one of those positions but we desperately need to find other mids, whether it be Wright, Webster, Savage etc.

Some of the Sandringham players looked good and they were really the only players willing to take on the game and run it through the corridor! I dont know what Richo's plan for the day was but it was definitely not corridor football.
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sat 21 Feb 2015 9:44pm, edited 2 times in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

My observations from today

Goddard: Has the size to play at senior level. His kicking was a bit iffy, and looks a little way off in endurance, but another pre-season should fix that. Does not have a great leap, so I see him as more of a Sam Fisher type in the long term, rather than a Max Hudghton.
Lonie: Great defensive pressure, and looked busy. Very small (only 70kg), so that played a factor. Liked what I saw
Saad: Very busy early and looked pretty sharp
Shenton: Excellent,. Great running out of defence and kicked a monster goal
Acrea: Got a bit of it early but went a little quiet after that. No worries about his ability though
Markworth: Only so so, looked okay in patches. Poor bugger got injured again
Holmes: Great tap work and got his hands on the ball a few times at ground level. Looks more promising then Longer
Pierce. Not bad. Slow reactions when the ball hits the deck, but shows some promise
Sinclair: Couldn't get into it
Dunstan: This guy just knows how to play football. An old head on young shoulders
White: Busy and dangerous at times. Not the strongest hand in a marking contests, but compensates by being able to react quicker than his opponent when the ball hits the ground
Lee: Fit at last. He's actually pretty quick and has good hands. Played well
Montagna: Typical Montagna
Geary: Good to see him back. irrespective of some doubters on here, he is a must for our team
Billings: Busy in a fairly inconspicuous way. He's not going to wow you with his highlights package, but like Dunstan, understands the game
Templeton: In and out of it. Just nice to see him back
Bruce: Not much impact, but his aggression and attack at the contest is Sammy Hamill like
Membrey: Busy late in the piece. Nice kick of the ball.
McCartin: Looked okay. He's a fair way off, like Goddard, but wasn't overwhelmed apart from embarrassingly running under a high ball at one stage
Roberton: Excellent early, but then faded into the background. Encouraging signs
Armitage: You get what you get
Ross: looks eternally fatigued, but was quite busy. Kicking needs some work
Ray: Solid, and really busy early on
Delaney: Good. Very solid game
Fisher: A class act. This guy is so important
Curren: In and out of it. Aggressive and hard at it
Weller: Hard at it, too. Hope his progress continues
Webster. Up against Saad. Was pretty good without dominating
Saunders: Really busy early, but seemed to vanish after that. Lots of guys fighting for his particular spot
Payne: Actually looked okay. and did a few good things. Needs another 10kg
Savage: Excellent. Great run off half back
Longer: Not much to report. Was not in the game that much. Hope he improves
Dempster: Typical dempster
Baker-Thomas: Got a few touches. Great size. Not a write off, for sure

Did not play: Riewoldt, Steven, Wright, Mckenzie, Hickey, Micnhington, Gilbert, Murdoch, Schneider, Siposs

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The quality of the game was much better than last year's intra-club, but the kicking was inconsistent.

I forgot Newnes. He was very good. He's one tough cookie, too.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thought as the game progressed, there was signs of first option footy?

Jimmy Webster was kicking beautifully but also closely checking his opponent, seemed focused.

Gears, can tell he missed footy, hungry.

Some of the boys thighs seem too big, but what woud I know. Seb, Acres, TC, Dunstan...maybe the chunk is from the gym and will lighten as they run out some praccy games.

What an abundance of talls, and finally two blonde talls up forward, guys might get confused and simply find the best blonde option.

There was one particular Holmes palm down to Joey that made the fans gasp, wow, beautiful to watch.

As for the turnout, I was shocked, the sleeping giant is awakening.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
St Ick wrote:Hugh was very good, but I don't think he plays ahead of Shinners, Chips and Del, very happy with him though.

Membrey would have to be a lock for round one, does not miss and is a tank.

Poor old Markworth hurt his shoulder, did some ok things before that.

Dunstan dominated early, belongs in #7!

Billings, Newnes and Webster were quite good.

White = a beast, he and Lee impressed me today. As did Paddy early on.

Mav is manic at the ball or player - stood out. Ross and Armo were ok.

Poor old Lonie has some tricks but struggled with the pace/decision making as doesnt have the extra time compared to U18s.

Saady definitely putting his hand up for round one.

Thanks to posters writing detailed reports. Very much appreciated.

Shout out to Jonesy for his 11km walk. Great commitment.
Make it 22km with the return leg,what's more got violently bitten by a wasp on the leg on way home haha!
That will teach you...

CarlD
Club Player

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:but generally our kicking and hand balling skills were below average
That is the story of 13 & 14. With Dal, BJ, Lenny gone - it is highly likely to be the story for 2015 but its February and we live in hope.
We need more from the good ball users like Eli, Billings and Webster. Dunstan generally is pretty smart with the ball also.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
What stands out for me watching to the Saints is we desperately lack 2 or 3 quality running midfielders. We have far too many mids who can win their own or receive the ball but cant do anything effective with it when they get it. Jack Steven will address one of those positions but we desperately need to find other mids, whether it be Wright, Webster, Savage etc.

Some of the Sandringham players looked good and they were really the only players willing to take on the game and run it through the corridor! I dont know what Richo's plan for the day was but it was definitely not corridor football.
Great post.
Absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we lack 2-3 polished quick outside runners who use the ball well. This is where we have been run all over the last two years. Other teams just run all over the top of us for periods of games and this enables them to score heavily. We have rarely won the midfield battle. I think we need to get Webster up on to a wing and leave Shenton down back. Hopefully Savage can also push up into the middle. Id rather see Webster persisted with on the wing than Faz this year. But we still need another couple of crisp ball users outside in the next draft. Fingers crossed on McKenzie. i also noticed an article on afl.com.au saying Nate Wright was looking to be more attacking. I rate that kid highly.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 21 Feb 2015 5:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

asaint
Club Player

Great turn out. Disappointing kids clinic, only a few activities and no players present.
Dare iced coffees, Big M' s and a sausage sizzle all free to members.
Manageable queues at the icecream and coffee vans.
Writing this from the perspective of a parent but the morning was well run considering how many people were there.
Everyone was upbeat. Don't you love preseason?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

asaint wrote:Great turn out. Disappointing kids clinic, only a few activities and no players present.
Writing this from the perspective of a parent but the morning was well run considering how many people were there.
Sausage sizzle.
Sounds bloody outstanding!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Appreciate all the reviews. Its interesting how differently people view things - eye of the beholder!

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Agreed. Thanks for taking the time to put together such detailed reports!

Really sorry to have missed today (sweltering at kid cricket instead), but Sainter K, we're all feeling the vibe too in this house!

Go Saints.

Always loyal
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
bergholt wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Man Buns are playing on each other
Who are Man Buns?
I assume Bruce and Fisher.

More info on Twitter @stkildafc

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
noddy04
Club Player

Thanks for all the reports :)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Early days but if Templeton and Mav end up like we all think they will then we will have done stunningly well out of the Rookie list last year.

saint6709
Club Player

:lol: :lol:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
asaint wrote:Great turn out. Disappointing kids clinic, only a few activities and no players present.
Sausage sizzle.
Sounds bloody outstanding!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

saint6709
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Early days but if Templeton and Mav end up like we all think they will then we will have done stunningly well out of the Rookie list last year.
Have been thinking this and am feeling bullish enough to say last 2 rookie drafts have been great for us

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Did they check for membership cards for the free tucker and drinks?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Did they check for membership cards for the free tucker and drinks?
I was watching a security guy who seemed hell bent on directing people away from the areas near the LHC.

maybe he was checking if they were members, it seemed a bit ridiculous but this dude was serious about his job.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?