Team v GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v GWS

Teams broken down by experience:

126+ games
Saints have 5 players: Dempster, Fisher, Montagna, Riewoldt, Schneider
GWS have 3 players: Griffen, Patfull, Shaw

41 - 125 games
Saints have 8 players: Armitage, Delaney, Geary, Newnes, Roberton, Savage, Steven, Weller
GWS have 14 players: Bugg, Cameron, Coniglio, Davis, Greene, Hampton, Mumford, Palmer, Scully, Shiel, Smith, Tomlinson, Treloar, Ward

11 - 40 games
Saints have 7 players: Bruce, Curren, Dunstan, Hickey, Lee, Longer, Saad
GWS have 6 players: Buntine, Corr, Haynes, Kelly, Whitfield, Williams

1 - 10 games
Saints have 3 players: Membrey, Shenton, Templeton
GWS have 2 players: Downie, McCarthy

0 games
Saints have 2 players: Lonie, Sinclair
GWS have zero

I'd be very surprised if we won this one. No comparison really.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol
first team named and we are already arguing about players who are hopeless and players we talked to and asked questions at a training drill is apparently a bad thing and cant be done by anyone except , well we all know the answer to that

cant even comment on a team selection without stupid comment s like, were you at the selection table

um no
none of us were
so close the thread
obviously cant comment as no one was on the table
fmd

for what its worth i wouldve liked to see the number 1 pick play
get games into him if he is fit

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:lol
first team named and we are already arguing about players who are hopeless and players we talked to and asked questions at a training drill is apparently a bad thing and cant be done by anyone except , well we all know the answer to that

cant even comment on a team selection without stupid comment s like, were you at the selection table

um no
none of us were
so close the thread
obviously cant comment as no one was on the table
fmd

for what its worth i wouldve liked to see the number 1 pick play
get games into him if he is fit

Quality post again Matrix. Your ability to ignore me is nil. You need to get some treatment quick. And I would have played McCartin and I would not have played Longer.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

thanks <edited by mods>
bit hard to ignore when you say a smart ass comment to gringo about how many players did he talk to
ill certainly hand it back, just like i expect you to

billings obviously not ready
but jesus you recruit the best forward in the comp with pick one so lets see where he is at after he;s first pre season
maybe he has a niggle
maybe they are saving him for a special occasion
god knows
but i wouldve boosted the kids confidence and picked him round one
who cares if he runs out of puff round one, sub him out
its round one of a season we are not likely to finish any higher than bottom 4
give him games

but then again we shouldnt really comment
we wernt at th selction table :twisted:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:thanks <edited by mods>
bit hard to ignore when you say a smart ass comment to gringo about how many players did he talk to

but jesus you recruit the best forward in the comp with pick one so lets see where he is at after he;s first pre season
maybe he has a niggle
god knows
give him games

Your ability to not make it personal is a story in itself. I reckon you would be a good case study for some clinics around Australia. And Im sure Gringo really needs your help. He doesn't need to be embarrassed like that. Don't agree on Billings. Missed 4 weeks so shouldn't be playing the first game on that preparation.

Now try and smile. I can feel the anger in your typing.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Plugger66 - sorry to correct you because as we all know you are always right - but it appears to me that you actually agree (not disagree) with Matrix re Billings - you both stated he is underdone and should not play.

Happy Easter / Passover.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Plugger66 - sorry to correct you because as we all know you are always right - but it appears to me that you actually agree (not disagree) with Matrix re Billings - you both stated he is underdone and should not play.

Happy Easter / Passover.

Great post from a mod. Pure baiting. Give yourself a warning. No idea what Passover is.

And read what Matrix said again and then say sorry. I await that one. Very strange to do a baiting post saying im wrong when you are actually wrong.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Haven't bothered to read through three pages of dross, unfortunately I see some has once again decided to run a thread off the rails.

Anyways. I dont care who is in our out. I am looking for improvement in team structure, disposal, attack on the ball and general skill level improvement.

Our skill level against all opposition in the NAB challenge was appalling. We cant control the oppositions skill etc, but we CAN and SHOULD control what we do.

This means cutting out simple turnovers, hitting targets when in the clear and there is no pressure on the kicker, nailing tackles, and converting chances.

yes all motherhood, but lets face it, we are doing precious few of the above.

A win? Would like one, but really we know where we are at. We need to concentrate on general teamwork improvement and keep our eye on the big picture.

No need to rush players. McCartin and Goddard, and Billings are long term prospects. Lets just keep to the plan

You are garbage - Enough said
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:thanks <edited by mods>

maybe he has a niggle
god knows
give him games

Yeah I was bit surprised about McCartin. I think he played every preseason game and I thought did a great job - kicked goals, hit packs, second efforts. And Richo has shown he likes to his quality kids directly under his wing and start getting senior games into them. Maybe they just want to give him a game or two away in the seconds to make sure his diabetes and jabbing (sorry shouldn't use that sensitive word these days) isn't a problem in serious games before throwing him into the cauldron of AFL. As pick 1 there will already be a lot of pressure and there will be cameras filming him as he does his needle work because its something new and different which the tv stations love. Probably do a piece on the news "Well here's one player shooting up that ISN'T a problem for the AFL. But seriously Diabetes affect 100,000 Australians blah blah blah...."

saintmat

Obviously we'd prefer to start the year with a full list, but that's not the case ( same as round 1 last year against Melbourne - from memory we had a lot of mid fielders out to ). If you look at the Jack Watts experience I can understand the decision not to play Paddy in such a compromised line up. Just think of a scenario where Roo doesnt play - Paddy would get tripple teamed & smashed.

If I was running the show down there my plan would be to use the first 4-6 rounds to get a Bruce, Lee and or White up and running as a genuine forward that opposition teams have to worry about ( after Roo of course). Once that's sorted we pencil in a round we're it looks like we'll have both a fairly healthy list and a fairly 'week' opposition. (From memory round 8 we play the Dees - Ross, Ray & Co should be back by then? ). It's that point that Paddy gets a run...

saintmat

Obviously we'd prefer to start the year with a full list, but that's not the case ( same as round 1 last year against Melbourne - from memory we had a lot of mid fielders out to ). If you look at the Jack Watts experience I can understand the decision not to play Paddy in such a compromised line up. Just think of a scenario where Roo doesnt play - Paddy would get tripple teamed & smashed.

If I was running the show down there my plan would be to use the first 4-6 rounds to get a Bruce, Lee and or White up and running as a genuine forward that opposition teams have to worry about ( after Roo of course). Once that's sorted we pencil in a round we're it looks like we'll have both a fairly healthy list and a fairly 'week' opposition. (From memory round 8 we play the Dees - Ross, Ray & Co should be back by then? ). It's that point that Paddy gets a run...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintmat wrote: I can understand the decision not to play Paddy in such a compromised line up. Just think of a scenario where Roo doesnt play - Paddy would get tripple teamed & smashed...
What Richo said yeterday is more to the point. Selection is based on merit, not draft position.

Paddy has looked okay, but imo Bruce has looked good and deserves a spot ahead of him at this stage

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:Plugger66 - sorry to correct you because as we all know you are always right - but it appears to me that you actually agree (not disagree) with Matrix re Billings - you both stated he is underdone and should not play.

Happy Easter / Passover.

Great post from a mod. Pure baiting. Give yourself a warning. No idea what Passover is.

And read what Matrix said again and then say sorry. I await that one. Very strange to do a baiting post saying im wrong when you are actually wrong.
Well you must be right then. As always.

The way I read it, Matrix states:

- billings shouldn't play
- McCartin as our #1 pick should have played but maybe he has a niggle.

I must be wrong.

Happy Easter then.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Very surprised with Longer. Let's see if he can take a mark this week.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

LOL

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:No McCartin or Goddard. :(
I see Lamb has been named at CHF for the Eagles. His non-selection is going to piss me off I think.

A big mistake.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
I see Lamb has been named at CHF for the Eagles. His non-selection is going to piss me off I think.

A big mistake.
This upset me too but at least we got Goddard who will be a beauty.

We really need to invest in players that have Saints in their bloodlines that are showing potential.

Would we still be bottom if we had Jack Riewoldt, James Frawley and Marcus Bontempelli in our team this year?

All 3 should have been drafted by us but I think we were gun shy after Raphael Clarke.

Lamb looks a potential star to me.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
saynta wrote:

A big mistake.

We really need to invest in players that have Saints in their bloodlines that are showing potential.

Would we still be bottom if we had Jack Riewoldt, James Frawley and Marcus Bontempelli in our team this year?

All 3 should have been drafted by us but I think we were gun shy after Raphael Clarke.

Riewoldt and Frawley were in the same draft so we could only have picked one of them. In the end we chose Armitage instead. Frawley is overrated but definitely missed the boat with Riewoldt.

Bontempelli was a speculative pick most thought was behind Billings as well as Aish, Sharenberg and the two guys that went 1 and 2 in the draft. The Dogs took a massive risk, so far it looks like paying off. We probably couldn't afford to take a risk with with pick 3 which was our first top 5 pick in a decade. We needed to nail it. At the minute it looks like Bont will be the better player but that doesn't mean Billings is not exceptional and a worthy top 5 selection.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Lamb looks a potential star to me.
Still a bit raw IMO

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:We really need to invest in players that have Saints in their bloodlines that are showing potential.

How about Liam Jones and Sam Sheldon? Not to mention Kallen Geary and DWOODROW.

Darth Vader
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:
saynta wrote:

A big mistake.

So just to clarify, you're suggesting we draft players who our recruiters think are not as good as other players in the draft because they're related to some of our players? Is it still 1 April somewhere?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Darth Vader wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
saynta wrote:

A big mistake.

So just to clarify, you're suggesting we draft players who our recruiters think are not as good as other players in the draft because they're related to some of our players? Is it still 1 April somewhere?
To clarify, the Club rated the best of Lamb as very good but the worst of Lamb was 'putrid'.

Case in point why he slid and also as to why we did not select him.

Darth Vader
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
saynta wrote:

A big mistake.

To clarify, the Club rated the best of Lamb as very good but the worst of Lamb was 'putrid'.

Case in point why he slid and also as to why we did not select him.
Was referring to the Riewoldt, Frawley, Bontempelli part of the discussion rather that Lamb. Is Lamb related to anyone?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

@AFL_PKeane: Final Rd1 Sunday teams:
StK v GWS - Interchange - Montagna, Schneider, Lonie, Sinclair.
Emergencies: Hickey, Lee, Curren.

@AFL_PKeane: Final Rd1 Sunday teams:
GWS Giants v StK - Interchange - Hampton, Treloar, Kelly, McCarthy.
Emergencies: Williams, Downie, Buntine.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
saynta wrote:

A big mistake.

Actually I think heritage and pride in a club and jumper should be a factor.

I would have loved us to have drafted Jack Riewoldt instead of Armo even though I love Armo. The kid was kicking bags in senior competition and was nowhere near fit. He was classed as unfit, possibly lazy and too short for modern key position. Of course that excludes consideration of his physical and mental development plus at the time we wanted quality midfielders with the retirement and pending retirements.

Frawley would have been a bonus that year. As it turned out if things were different and we had not sold off the farm to dive down the bottom to rebuild - we could have got him in free agency - just like Hawthorn have.

Bontempelli vs Billings will be debated for years. Go back and look at the photos of the top 10 draft picks that year. Billings has the smallest frame by a country mile. My query is can he build an AFL body to go to war. Amazing skills but when bodies get battered, the skill level drops. Bontempelli has the physical profile of the ideal modern midfielder. Billings will be good no doubt. Dal's cousin could be ANYTHING! His magic moments are superstar material. A game breaker.

As for Lamb - agree as a 17 year old he had some shockers BUT some games he blitzed ... To me that looks like mental preparation as an issue something that can be worked out in professional environment like an AFL club.