Weller out (Curren in)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Weller out (Curren in)

Coach is very conservative. Are we rebuilding or trying to have a bob each way?
If we are having a bob each way we are in denial.

realdeal
Club Player

I agree, quite safe selections.

However, with the injured players out and a few in the seconds probably another week or 2 away there really wasn't a lot of options.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lets get this straight. 2 weeks ago Rooy was playing but McCartin ended up playing. Now Weller is out and Curren is playing so 2 weeks ago did we said it was conservative selection? I I doubt it. We now have 2 young guys playing instead of one. Doesn't seem conservative to me.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Acres, Minchington, Saunders, Hickey, Goddard all have good VFL form. So don't try and cover for later by saying "no obvious changes" - you don't always have to do the obvious. In fact the non-obvious is often what wins matches. This is the conservative selection they have gone with and they need to stand by it. If I was Minchington I would be putting out as many feelers to other clubs as I could because backing a delisted player over him doesn't show the club has much faith in him at all.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Lets get this straight. 2 weeks ago Rooy was playing but McCartin ended up playing. Now Weller is out and Curren is playing so 2 weeks ago did we said it was conservative selection? I I doubt it. We now have 2 young guys playing instead of one. Doesn't seem conservative to me.

Yeah but if he'd been creative he could have painted a guernsey on a door and installed several of them at various position around the Wellington suburbs with a japanese noise art music act playing through loud speakers across the city. There isn't enough installation art in football these days.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Acres, Minchington, Saunders, Hickey, Goddard all have good VFL form. So don't try and cover for later by saying "no obvious changes" - you don't always have to do the obvious. In fact the non-obvious is often what wins matches. This is the conservative selection they have gone with and they need to stand by it. If I was Minchington I would be putting out as many feelers to other clubs as I could because backing a delisted player over him doesn't show the club has much faith in him at all.

Easy words to say. Can you give us examples of the non obvious winning games? Im going for the obvious winning a hell of a lot more but happy to show me im wrong.

By the way why didn't you tell us it was conservative selection 2 weeks ago when it was less conservative than now? And im sure Curren wasn't delisted.

realdeal
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Lets get this straight. 2 weeks ago Rooy was playing but McCartin ended up playing. Now Weller is out and Curren is playing so 2 weeks ago did we said it was conservative selection? I I doubt it. We now have 2 young guys playing instead of one. Doesn't seem conservative to me.
I'm looking forward to Hickey getting back in the seniors but I think he needs some more match fitness/time, same with Acres and Webster. So this is the team I'd go for in the circumstances.

Also be nice to free Fisher up to be more creative too but that will have to wait until Goddard (or Lee judging by his impressive performance in defense for Sandy last week, :shock: )

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The only change I would make is bring in the Minch for either Saad or Schneids. The Minch had 8 tackles and a goal in the VFL and is 21yo. Deserves reward for effort and an opportunity against an ordinary side. Unfair if Schneids gets to play against the crap teams and we bring in Minch for the Hawks game.

I can't help feeling we are wasting our time playing Schneider no matter how 'clever' he is.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The only change I would make is bring in the Minch for either Saad or Schneids. The Minch had 8 tackles and a goal in the VFL and is 21yo. Deserves reward for effort and an opportunity against an ordinary side. Unfair if Schneids gets to play against the crap teams and we bring in Minch for the Hawks game.

I can't help feeling we are wasting our time playing Schneider no matter how 'clever' he is.
Schnieds had 28 touches and 7 tackles last week at AFL level, while he didn't have a great game, he was still in our best 10-12 players.

If Minchington ever plays a game at AFL level with those numbers he will tell his grandkids about it., but

If you are talking about 'deserving a game' then Schneids does not deserve to be dropped...

It's not like we are short on youth, I don't understand why people are calling the selection conservative, how many players with under 50 games experience do we need? 12 or so this week?

If some of Montagna, Ray, Gilbert, Ross are fit, then Schneids doesn't play, but right now I have no problem with him in the side, I think we need to relax about the "rebuild" - it's happening and no-one is pretending otherwise.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Acres, Minchington, Saunders, Hickey, Goddard all have good VFL form. So don't try and cover for later by saying "no obvious changes" - you don't always have to do the obvious. In fact the non-obvious is often what wins matches. This is the conservative selection they have gone with and they need to stand by it. If I was Minchington I would be putting out as many feelers to other clubs as I could because backing a delisted player over him doesn't show the club has much faith in him at all.
Honestly bluthy... Minchington could put all the feelers out in the world, he was lucky to be upgraded to the main list as it was, if he makes 50 AFL games that would be a great effort, I don't think he would be upset about not replacing a guy who has won a premiership, played 200+ AFL games and last week had 28 kicks & 7 tackles.

Statsman
Club Player

dragit wrote:It's not like we are short on youth, I don't understand why people are calling the selection conservative, how many players with under 50 games experience do we need? 12 or so this week?
Spot on! As the Herald Sun reported during the week, our team last week was our youngest since 2004 with over half the team not having played even 35 games (let alone 50 games). How is that having a bob each way? If you're going in with that much youth you need to have some older heads around them, otherwise it's just lambs to the slaughter (i.e. like Melbourne in recent years). A young forward line of McCartin, Bruce, Membrey, Billings and Lonie probably needs the experience of Schneider more than it does another youngster like Minchington or Templeton. The backline had Fisher and Dempster for experience while the midfield has Armitage and Steven. In the absence of Roo the forward line does need a Schneider.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
saintbob
SS Life Member

WTF , we've been smashed by 70 odd points and there is only one change!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:
dragit wrote:It's not like we are short on youth, I don't understand why people are calling the selection conservative, how many players with under 50 games experience do we need? 12 or so this week?
Spot on! As the Herald Sun reported during the week, our team last week was our youngest since 2004 with over half the team not having played even 35 games (let alone 50 games). How is that having a bob each way? If you're going in with that much youth you need to have some older heads around them, otherwise it's just lambs to the slaughter (i.e. like Melbourne in recent years). A young forward line of McCartin, Bruce, Membrey, Billings and Lonie probably needs the experience of Schneider more than it does another youngster like Minchington or Templeton. The backline had Fisher and Dempster for experience while the midfield has Armitage and Steven. In the absence of Roo the forward line does need a Schneider.
While I fully understand the desire of some to see a youngster, such as Minchington, play ahead of a bloke who's at the end of his career and will not be part of our next finals challenge, such as Schneider, I think you blokes have nailed it.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

saintbob wrote:WTF , we've been smashed by 70 odd points and there is only one change!!
Few of the boys had gastro the next day. Bruce had gastro during the week. Roo pulled out in the warm up. There were excuses.
This week no excuses. As of tonight they're all fit and healthy ( except one who's under a slight injury cloud )

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
saintbob wrote:WTF , we've been smashed by 70 odd points and there is only one change!!
Few of the boys had gastro the next day. Bruce had gastro during the week. Roo pulled out in the warm up. There were excuses.
This week no excuses. As of tonight they're all fit and healthy ( except one who's under a slight injury cloud )
Sure, but only 2 changes (assuming Lonie is a late out replaced by Acres).

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote:
Dunstan?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:
In 2004 we were a Brent Guerra squib away from making the GF. This year we're very likely to finish 18th. We really should be a younger side in 2015 than in 2004. The Collingwood team that beat us by 74 points was on average only 7 months older than our team. I've been a fan of Schneids for a long time but his disposal quality has dropped drastically and he provides no run or pressure. We also have about 8 kids who play his position and I'd much rather see them in the team when their VFL form is strong and Schneider is coughing the ball up and letting the opposition run away with it.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Really intrigued by the Longer v Hickey situation. Still think Longer has done close to nothing, although many were impressed by the game v GC. Thought he was just average that day, and both other games well below average and badly beaten.
Meanwhile Hickey has played several games at the lower level, doing well in all of them by all reports.
Imo Hickey is the clearly superior player, and has far more weapons, especially going forward and hitting the scoreboard.
Would love to have some clarity of what Longer brings over Hickey that has him first choice, other than being better at the taps, which is the most irrelevant stat in the game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Really intrigued by the Longer v Hickey situation. Still think Longer has done close to nothing, although many were impressed by the game v GC. Thought he was just average that day, and both other games well below average and badly beaten.
Meanwhile Hickey has played several games at the lower level, doing well in all of them by all reports.
Imo Hickey is the clearly superior player, and has far more weapons, especially going forward and hitting the scoreboard.

Would love to have some clarity of what Longer brings over Hickey that has him first choice, other than being better at the taps, which is the most irrelevant stat in the game.
Hickey was still not yet fully running at the jumper presentation. I think his fitness must be the issue.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Really intrigued by the Longer v Hickey situation. Still think Longer has done close to nothing, although many were impressed by the game v GC. Thought he was just average that day, and both other games well below average and badly beaten.
Yep, I'm with you there. Hickey is a real footballer with a great head for the game!
If we're just looking at hitouts Holmes is the man!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The only change I would make is bring in the Minch for either Saad or Schneids. The Minch had 8 tackles and a goal in the VFL and is 21yo. Deserves reward for effort and an opportunity against an ordinary side. Unfair if Schneids gets to play against the crap teams and we bring in Minch for the Hawks game.

I believe that SChneids roll these days should be teaching the SAndy boys.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Hickey was still not yet fully running at the jumper presentation. I think his fitness must be the issue.
Let's hope that's all it is. I rate him higher than Longer and by all accounts his form has been pretty good. Yet he can't crack it for a game. Perhaps he's on the outer for some other reason.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

bigcarl wrote:
gringo wrote: Hickey was still not yet fully running at the jumper presentation. I think his fitness must be the issue.
Let's hope that's all it is. I rate him higher than Longer and by all accounts his form has been pretty good. Yet he can't crack it for a game. Perhaps he's on the outer for some other reason.

My understanding is that they simply want to get the appropriate number of miles into Hickey's legs before he plays an AFL game......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Playon
Club Player

tony74 wrote:
So no excuses? Perhaps we need to look at the selection committee, The buck stops there.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Schnieds had 28 touches and 7 tackles last week at AFL level, while he didn't have a great game, he was still in our best 10-12 players.

If Minchington ever plays a game at AFL level with those numbers he will tell his grandkids about it., but

If you are talking about 'deserving a game' then Schneids does not deserve to be dropped...

It's not like we are short on youth, I don't understand why people are calling the selection conservative, how many players with under 50 games experience do we need? 12 or so this week?

If some of Montagna, Ray, Gilbert, Ross are fit, then Schneids doesn't play, but right now I have no problem with him in the side, I think we need to relax about the "rebuild" - it's happening and no-one is pretending otherwise.
Scoff.
Schneider is a waste of time
Saad is a waste of time

As I said we are re-building. Lets re-build. The coach thinks he can have a bob each way.
You cant. We are still in denial that we can 'pinch a few wins with our experienced players'. We cant - because most of them are sh*t. Schneider can no longer run or kick with those hammies - sure he still knows how to get his cheap stats up- but he contributes nothing.

We were pole axed by the Pies and then kept the same side. Its a joke.