Saints closer to moving back to Moorabbin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

casey scorp
Club Player

Re: Saints closer to moving back to Moorabbin

plugger66 wrote:
casey scorp wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:This is bullishit. We just spend millions on some other place and now we move.

Considering everyone knew we were going to move to Seaford well in advance, how come folks only expressed concern once we were there?

If the place isn't too flash, it surely does not take us building a major complex for us to realise this?

Poor all-around.
Unfortunately some people did rail against the proposal to set up base at Seaford. After the Frankston Oval proposal fell over I, and a small number of others, argued strongly against it. We were abused on this forum by the disciples of the club who blindly supported any club decision.

Blind Freddy could see Seaford would be a disaster. I'm sure all the posts would still be there for all to see.

Didn't you want us to go to Casey? That would have been as equal of a disaster though.
When it was out of Frankston and Casey, I supported Casey. When Frankston fell over, I argued strenuously for staying at Moorabbin (as I'm sure you'll well recall).

Anyway, let's hope Moorabbin comes off this time around.

lefty
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:There was a survey recently and the majority of people who follow the saints live close to Moorabbin. It makes complete sense too. And the grandstand is going so that isn't an issue.
Survey's do not equal real statistics.

The club would have that information, and unless its made public, then I'm not sure I'd honestly take anyone's word for it. Not trying to be offensive or anything. Incorrect information or missing information can be easily passed around I guess.

As for the grand stand, we'll that's fine with me. Its well past its time.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
saintbrat wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7324662416
The Saints’ plan calls for the removal of the G.G Huggins stand at the rundown but much-loved facility to make way for state-of-the-art training and administration buildings and an indoor sports court.

The council money comes on top of funding of about $11m for an existing project - $8m of which had been committed by the state.
Does this mean we will have no stand? I was really hoping we would have a decent stand to watch VFL games and training.
It's sad that the members stand has to go. It is the only visible link with the past (or at least back to when we started at Moorabbin - and the St Kilda disco). An oval is an oval but a grandstand is something else entirely.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:The JO would have been the best move..best option...damn shame but..never say never.

I think we can safely put that to bed. I think Moorabbin is the best option. Most of our supporters live in that area and the seconds were playing there anyway. And more importantly we will be the boss.
Never say Never.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

In my view, the prospect of a return to our Moorabbin heartland would provide a major boost to our great club and allow us to provide training, administration, social and community facilities to secure our future.
from members message from the President

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-04-2 ... -moorabbin
Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 29 Apr 2015 7:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
In my view, the prospect of a return to our Moorabbin heartland would provide a major boost to our great club and allow us to provide training, administration, social and community facilities to secure our future.
from members message from the President
From memory the sticking point was that we wanted frontage on South Road for the pokies, etc. Has anyone seen the plans if we have secured this?

Having pokies with no area for a bistro and bar set up wouldn't make much sense. On the other hand, sitting in the members stand and looking out onto the arena for some refreshments would also be good (if they weren't knocking the stand down).

“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:
plugger66 wrote:There was a survey recently and the majority of people who follow the saints live close to Moorabbin. It makes complete sense too. And the grandstand is going so that isn't an issue.
Survey's do not equal real statistics.

The club would have that information, and unless its made public, then I'm not sure I'd honestly take anyone's word for it. Not trying to be offensive or anything. Incorrect information or missing information can be easily passed around I guess.

As for the grand stand, we'll that's fine with me. Its well past its time.

Well a survey is better than a hunch. Going by my footy club in Ormond and we obviously have people in their teens and 20's the saints are clearly number one ahead of the pies and Tigers. If the support isn't from around the southern suburbs then where is it? No where would be my guess.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/inne ... 7326907484
It was always our number one option to stay at Moorabbin, no question about that, but at that time it couldn’t be done. There were people with a vendetta against the club and we couldn’t overcome it.

“Was it a decision that we would have preferred to have made? Absolutely not. But there were too many barriers in front of us.’’

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:This is bullishit. We just spend millions on some other place and now we move.

Considering everyone knew we were going to move to Seaford well in advance, how come folks only expressed concern once we were there?

If the place isn't too flash, it surely does not take us building a major complex for us to realise this?

Poor all-around.
Google "sunk cost" bro.

lefty
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Well a survey is better than a hunch. Going by my footy club in Ormond and we obviously have people in their teens and 20's the saints are clearly number one ahead of the pies and Tigers. If the support isn't from around the southern suburbs then where is it? No where would be my guess.
Again, I won't bother with a survey, or any local footy club, it really doesn't matter anymore where you live geographically as to what team you support. Once upon a time, it did, worlds different now.

Also, O/T, is Mal playing down there?

casey scorp
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/inne ... 7326907484
It was always our number one option to stay at Moorabbin, no question about that, but at that time it couldn’t be done. There were people with a vendetta against the club and we couldn’t overcome it.

“Was it a decision that we would have preferred to have made? Absolutely not. But there were too many barriers in front of us.’’
That quote from Archie Fraser is an attempt to rewrite history - there were egos in the way of the negotiations on both sides, but to say it couldn't be done and there were too many barriers is a cop out.

And then to confuse Archie's position after having said as quoted above, it finishes with:

"Fraser said that if he’d stayed with the Saints he would have tried to establish their administration and membership base near St Kilda Junction and their training headquarters at Seaford."

Imagine the dysfunction with the management and training bases 30kms apart.

FQF
SS Life Member

casey scorp wrote:
saintbrat wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/inne ... 7326907484

That quote from Archie Fraser is an attempt to rewrite history - there were egos in the way of the negotiations on both sides, but to say it couldn't be done and there were too many barriers is a cop out.

And then to confuse Archie's position after having said as quoted above, it finishes with:

"Fraser said that if he’d stayed with the Saints he would have tried to establish their administration and membership base near St Kilda Junction and their training headquarters at Seaford."

Imagine the dysfunction with the management and training bases 30kms apart.
It seems you almost only ever post here every couple of years when it's about training and playing locations... No criticism but you certainly do have a very specific niche in your support for the Saints.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

we move weekly so who knows where we'll end

buy a combi van and just travel round FFS

“Yeah….nah””
casey scorp
Club Player

FQF wrote: It seems you almost only ever post here every couple of years when it's about training and playing locations... No criticism but you certainly do have a very specific niche in your support for the Saints.
It's actually very long-standing passionate support, but just a specific niche of posting on this forum.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Well a survey is better than a hunch. Going by my footy club in Ormond and we obviously have people in their teens and 20's the saints are clearly number one ahead of the pies and Tigers. If the support isn't from around the southern suburbs then where is it? No where would be my guess.
Again, I won't bother with a survey, or any local footy club, it really doesn't matter anymore where you live geographically as to what team you support. Once upon a time, it did, worlds different now.

Also, O/T, is Mal playing down there?

Mal Michael is playing when he gets fit. Had to have a little operation last week. Should be back round 6 or so. Has only played one seconds practice match. Should have seen the look on the opposition players when they saw a 3 time premiership player running out in a seconds practice match. Priceless.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Plugs, if you have the time, please update Wikipedia. There is no mention of Mal playing for Ormond. Ta.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Congratulations to the Saints for righting the wrongs. Ultimately Seaford was the wrong choice. Sometimes you just need to suck it up!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Congratulations to the Saints for righting the wrongs. Ultimately Seaford was the wrong choice. Sometimes you just need to suck it up!
That's what she said.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

Anyone been to the Southport Sharks AFL club 'Sharkies' on the Gold Coast. Went there over Easter, would make a great model. Huge bistro, kids club, some gaming but not in your face. Awesome outlook over the ground from the dining area, even a themed entry with real sharks in huge tanks. Also a visitor to Melbourne 'family' bistros such as the Tudor Inn, Waltzing Matilda Hotel and the Bentleigh Rsl, pretty much trace a circle around Linton St. Would much prefer taking the family to a wiz bang brand new facility.

saint-stu
Club Player

SideshowMilne wrote:Anyone been to the Southport Sharks AFL club 'Sharkies' on the Gold Coast. Went there over Easter, would make a great model. Huge bistro, kids club, some gaming but not in your face. Awesome outlook over the ground from the dining area, even a themed entry with real sharks in huge tanks. Also a visitor to Melbourne 'family' bistros such as the Tudor Inn, Waltzing Matilda Hotel and the Bentleigh Rsl, pretty much trace a circle around Linton St. Would much prefer taking the family to a wiz bang brand new facility.
Sounds awesome and I totally agree!

1ac46a38
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Paul Amy ‏@PaulAmy375 ·
Saints fans keen for the club to go back to Moorabbin might be rejoicing tomorrow. Fair chance funding will be confirmed in the state budget

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Paul Amy ‏@PaulAmy375 ·
Saints fans keen for the club to go back to Moorabbin might be rejoicing tomorrow. Fair chance funding will be confirmed in the state budget
Extra funding or just confirming what's already been committed. Clown Andrews is hard to trust.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

it could be just that they will assist with permits etc-- and no $$ at all- :wink:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY