Would we have any interest in Harley Bennell?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Would we have any interest in Harley Bennell?

plugger66 wrote:
Gordo' Sumner wrote:any interest ???? :roll:

too flowering right we do !!!!

with a cool muso type name like that harls is next in line to perform "when the saints go marching in' unplugged.......................FFS he already knows his lines.

I have you pegged as redeemer. We certainly have had an influx of old posters using new names lately. The question is why. I think its time the mods tell us their previous incarnations because under the rules people cant have 2 nics if they are going to cause trouble. Saynta is Stinger for sure. Just need the mods to confirm.
Play the ball not the man.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

with a cool muso type name like that harls is next in line to perform "when the saints go marching in' unplugged.......................FFS he already knows his lines.

I have you pegged as redeemer. We certainly have had an influx of old posters using new names lately. The question is why. I think its time the mods tell us their previous incarnations because under the rules people cant have 2 nics if they are going to cause trouble. Saynta is Stinger for sure. Just need the mods to confirm.
Go easy dad.

At least with this incarnation of stinger we don't have to put up with all the FFS's, flowering & eye rolls.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Have you ever been diagnosed as having OCD? You really come across as obsessive, and there is obviously something seriously wrong with you.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 09 Jul 2015 10:05am, edited 1 time in total.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

'n here i was thinkn rereemer had resurfaced as the Recruit.
... lol

how funny it all is.
... i'm not putting my dollar on rereemer being gordo.

Nuh.
... gordo's got a brain.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

My two bobs worth about Harley: I've seen him live a fair bit and really like him as a player. The coke stuff suprised me a bit as he seemed like an ok young guy. What I like about his game is that he is a determined player and doesn't give up like a lot of other indigenous players eg- Betts, Thomas, Yarran etc ( please, no racist allegations, am merely comparing HB with his contemporarys!).

His skills are sublime and he can be a match winner. His versatility is great too and I liken his style very much to our own beloved Nicky W. In the right environment - perhaps away from the GC - he will be a star. Every other team in the comp would love to have him but they prolly won't admit it now with all the controversy.

He derserves to start afresh in my book.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:My two bobs worth about Harley: I've seen him live a fair bit and really like him as a player. The coke stuff suprised me a bit as he seemed like an ok young guy. What I like about his game is that he is a determined player and doesn't give up like a lot of other indigenous players eg- Betts, Thomas, Yarran etc ( please, no racist allegations, am merely comparing HB with his contemporarys!).

His skills are sublime and he can be a match winner. His versatility is great too and I liken his style very much to our own beloved Nicky W. In the right environment - perhaps away from the GC - he will be a star. Every other team in the comp would love to have him but they prolly won't admit it now with all the controversy.

I'm betting that Collingwood will give him that chance, although they have been getting rid of most of their coke heads and problem children of late.

They can afford to take a chance on him and turn him around though.

stjay
Club Player

stevie wrote:My two bobs worth about Harley: I've seen him live a fair bit and really like him as a player. The coke stuff suprised me a bit as he seemed like an ok young guy. What I like about his game is that he is a determined player and doesn't give up like a lot of other indigenous players eg- Betts, Thomas, Yarran etc ( please, no racist allegations, am merely comparing HB with his contemporarys!).

I think he does too - under the right circumstances.
You would need to be convinced he was over it and have him on a very short leash.
I do worry about a club like ours being able to cope with a player like that and as others have said we don't need to be in the headlines for the wrong reasons and upsetting sponsors.
We are, after all, just getting back on our feet with plenty of positive news stories.
Reckon with Matt Finnis being ex-AFLPA he would have a good idea on how to deal with a player like this and the possibilities of having him in the side are tantalising.
Can't see it happening at StKFC but hopefully he gets it together and we can have the pleasure of watching a special player over a long career.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I don't even slightly get that. Did I have a go at the posters in the comment? Maybe play the ball and not the man.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Do people who are dead against getting Bennell honestly believe there are no Saints players doing the exact same thing Harley was silly enough to get photographed doing, very frequently and are going through their own substance issues??..

I would 100% take Bennell, seems a likeable young man that needs a bit of guidance and direction. He is a super talent, and really is exactly what we need. Fast, highly talented, outside mid/forward who can hit the scoreboard. Would offer our 2nd pick (20-24) and Wright/Saunders/Eli, but this would not get it done.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Do people who are dead against getting Bennell honestly believe there are no Saints players doing the exact same thing Harley was silly enough to get photographed doing, very frequently and are going through their own substance issues??..

I would 100% take Bennell, seems a likeable young man that needs a bit of guidance and direction. He is a super talent, and really is exactly what we need. Fast, highly talented, outside mid/forward who can hit the scoreboard. Would offer our 2nd pick (20-24) and Wright/Saunders/Eli, but this would not get it done.
Bingo.

Our second pick will be at least 24 at this rate (Dangerfield compo in between)

Would probably take our first pick #5-6 plus someone like Gilbert.

The guy has norm smith medal written all over him, that said he would need to show a commitment to making a fresh (clean) start.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Ah Chee would have to be the closest in the draft to Harley. And he would cost us our first pick, which would probably be a bit to much to pay for Ah Chee. if we could get Harley and keep our first round pick I would take the chance with him.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Amazing player. One of my fav players outside of the saints and have been watching him pretty close. Has increased his engine this year and the work rate and power running that he is able to do is very impressive!

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
lewdogs
Club Player

Bennell is a gun. Would take him in a heart beat.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I just reckon if you're giving up a top pick + a player, and paying him $$$...

don't you want an elite player without the crap and baggage?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

NO! Not because I don't begrudge him a second chance, but simply prefer that he rehabilitates himself elsewhere. Andrew Lovett ring any bells? Honestly, I just wonder how many folk have a sense of history on SS. For the first time in living memory, we have a group of players who (thus far) have no "character issues" and have managed to maintain clean noses off field (no pun intended) behaviour-wise. Do we REALLY want to recruit someone who could derail the joint? REALLY?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Do not trade our first pick for anyone like him.

For a start, if we fall over and come 16th or worse we can pick either Shache, Weitering or Francis. If we have picks four to 7 any one of Balic, Parish, Tucker, Mathesion, or Dunkley.

THey are all quality.

Bennell is damaged goods

You are garbage - Enough said
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I don't even slightly get that. Did I have a go at the posters in the comment? Maybe play the ball and not the man.
You spent an entire post talking about who other people might be. That adds zero value to this forum. The only possible effect it could have is to start arguments. That annoys me so I'm going to keep calling it out.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You spent an entire post talking about who other people might be. That adds zero value to this forum. The only possible effect it could have is to start arguments. That annoys me so I'm going to keep calling it out.

Stop it. Its boring. Call me out. As if I care. I don't know you. Useless post but you are right, it will start an argument when that bloke using another nic agrees with you.

Kernal75
Club Player

If Harley goes anywhere I think it will be back home to WA. Reckon old Rossco will fancy his chances at straightening him out. As for us, would love to have him on the right terms and with the right attitude. If we could snare him for a second rounder, which will be almost impossible, then I'd bite GC's hand off. Other than that, let's stay the course and go to the draft and see what elite talent we can get that comes with no baggage.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:If Harley goes anywhere I think it will be back home to WA. Reckon old Rossco will fancy his chances at straightening him out. As for us, would love to have him on the right terms and with the right attitude. If we could snare him for a second rounder, which will be almost impossible, then I'd bite GC's hand off. Other than that, let's stay the course and go to the draft and see what elite talent we can get that comes with no baggage.
Have you ever seen what happens to a bag or cooler full of good apples when you either throw in a bad one or don't quickly remove the rotten ones. Gold coast is planning on quickly removing the two rotten ones in their bag. Oops, sorry, team.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:If Harley goes anywhere I think it will be back home to WA. Reckon old Rossco will fancy his chances at straightening him out. As for us, would love to have him on the right terms and with the right attitude. If we could snare him for a second rounder, which will be almost impossible, then I'd bite GC's hand off. Other than that, let's stay the course and go to the draft and see what elite talent we can get that comes with no baggage.
Have you ever seen what happens to a bag or cooler full of good apples when you either throw in a bad one or don't quickly remove the rotten ones. Gold coast is planning on quickly removing the two rotten ones in their bag. Oops, sorry, team.

Not if you listen to their coach.

FQF
SS Life Member

Apparently yes, according to the Footy Show.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:Apparently yes, according to the Footy Show.
Do people still watch that dross?

You are garbage - Enough said
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Do people who are dead against getting Bennell honestly believe there are no Saints players doing the exact same thing Harley was silly enough to get photographed doing, very frequently and are going through their own substance issues??..

Yep.

And yep.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
FQF
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
FQF wrote:Apparently yes, according to the Footy Show.
Do people still watch that dross?
Never have, but was repeated on Twitter - a very fertile source of information and rumours.