mock draft 2015

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: mock draft 2015

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I kind of hope we get pick 5. I dont want to see Essendon getting a pick ahead of us. Pick 5 would be perfect.

Why?
Shows progress from last year (dead last).
Finishing too high would be counter productive and a fools paradise.
We need to increase our probability of getting a good quality midfielder while also showing some progress and improvement.

Would you like me to explain probability to you?

Id rather pick one. Don't see why 5 is perfect and certainly don't care what clubs are before or after us.
You have to finish bottom to get pick 1. Finishing bottom twice would mean our kids are terrible. Not to mention the blow to memberships/morale etc

Who gives a toss anyway? If I think pick 5 is a good balance for us I think pick 5 is a good balance.

Not sure why it needs to be ticked off by you. You could argue a toss underwater. Its heads. No its tails.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I expect we will end up with either 4,5, or 6.
Aaron Francis could drop down to our pick. And Collins would fill a need for us.
There is a young Tsmanian who is riring up the ratings, Mitchell Hibberd, a 190+ very fast mid or defender. Just what we need.
Last edited by borderbarry on Mon 13 Jul 2015 9:30am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
You have to finish bottom to get pick 1. Finishing bottom twice would mean our kids are terrible. Not to mention the blow to memberships/morale etc

Who gives a toss anyway? If I think pick 5 is a good balance for us I think pick 5 is a good balance.

Not sure why it needs to be ticked off by you. You could argue a toss underwater. Its heads. No its tails.
Especially when people say strange things.

stjay
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I expect we will end up with either 4,5, or 6.
Aaron Francis could drop down to our pick. And Collins would fill a need for us.
There is a young Tsmanian who is riring up the ratings, Mitchell Hibberd, a 190+ very fast mid or defender. Just what we need.
Can't see them going for anything other than an AA mid first pick.
Think we've peaked ladder wise so it will be pick#6 or higher.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Looking at the ladder and at the remaining fixtures I can't see us finishing higher than 14th or lower than 15th.

The only remaining games I think we are chance to win are the Geelong game and Melbourne but that is at the G so they will be favorites there.

So the question is whether Parish would last to our pick? I doubt he will.
The two stand outs to me appear to be Weitering and Schache who according to everything I have read you will just take regardless of needs because they are just that good.
The next level is Francis who sounds like Gilbert with a bit better disposal, Mathieson who is an in and under midfielder the one part of the midfield we have covered and Parish.
Brisbane would love to take a big man either forward or back as their midfield is definitely their strength.
Gold Coast however will probably be looking to grab an elite midfielder as they have struggled this year because of the absence of Ablett and O'Meara and Bennell will leave at the end of the year.
Carlton will be desperate for a Key Position player preferably a forward.
Melbourne will be looking at the best available preferably a key back, as they have a strong midfield and key forward stocks.
Essendon need everything except Key Backs so they will go best available.
So given that Parish is widely considered the best pure mid, excluding the academy players, in this draft I don't see how he will last to us.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Parish will go anywhere between 3-10 IMO. Weitering and Schache definite 1-2, Parish, Francis, Weideman, Curnow, Mathieson, Balic, Ah Chee - in any order.

If I had to guess I'd say:
Pick 1 - Brisbane - Schache
Pick 2 - GC - Weitering
Pick 3 - Carlton - Francis
Pick 4 - Melb - Curnow
Pick 5 - Ess - Weideman
Pick 6 - StK - Parish

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Weren't we led to believe that there were no good key position players on the horizon?

Wasn't that part of the premise to take McCartin instead of Petracca/Brayshaw?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Weren't we led to believe that there were no good key position players on the horizon?

Perhaps, however lucky we took Paddy as it looks like this year's good key position players may all be gone before we get to have a pick anyway.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Weren't we led to believe that there were no good key position players on the horizon?

Apparently. I reckon working out a following seasons draft is fraught with danger. I certain hope McCartin was regarded as very close to Petracca otherwise its a very poor move. We wont know for at least 3 years I suppose.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Yup, last year it was expected Goddard, Lever, Paddy, Wright, etc would be the first few picked. Most were underwhelming or had serious injuries.

This year it was expected the 3 Vic Country lads Parish, Tucker and Mathieson and Ah Chee would be at the pointy end. Tucker and Ah Chee have gone from top 5'ers to mid-late 1st rounders. Nobody expected Weitering to become the best KPD u18 talent since....ever. He's had a massive growth spurt and turned from a tall rangy mid to a rebounding and dynamic key defender. Nobody expected Schache to break the u18 champs for goal kicking....Curnow, Burton and Weideman were expected to be the first 3 talls taken...now they be 3-6 taken. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the top 5 are kpp's.

I also think teams overvalue talls and will take the less talented player if he's a tall cos quality ones are so hard to find.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Fwiw Paddy will be the best tall forward from 14/15 draft. Weitering the best tall....clearly and by a mile.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Fwiw Paddy will be the best tall forward from 14/15 draft. Weitering the best tall....clearly and by a mile.

Lets face it that's a guess at the moment. Hope you are right though.

stjay
Club Player

Interesting to see who backs up their performance from the carnival at TAC level. Looks like Mathieson and Balic were both BOG in their respective games.
Mathieson, for mine, is the one not getting the degree of attention he probably deserves but he's two time AA. He's class.
Would really love to see something of Curnow before the combine.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Fwiw Paddy will be the best tall forward from 14/15 draft. Weitering the best tall....clearly and by a mile.

Nooooo plugger you don't say? Of course I'm guessing however somewhat of an educated guess. Let's face it I can't see the future!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:Interesting to see who backs up their performance from the carnival at TAC level. Looks like Mathieson and Balic were both BOG in their respective games.
Mathieson, for mine, is the one not getting the degree of attention he probably deserves but he's two time AA. He's class.
Would really love to see something of Curnow before the combine.
Mathieson is a safe bet and could be as good as Libba. He's a bit one dimensional and I'm a little concerned abou his disposal. Unfortunately this years class of mids doesn't seem to have the Billings, Aish, Kelly, Bont level class. Balic is the dark horse to bolt I reckon.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Nooooo plugger you don't say? Of course I'm guessing however somewhat of an educated guess. Let's face it I can't see the future!

It seemed so factual when you say a player will be the best tall and by a mile.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It seemed so factual when you say a player will be the best tall and by a mile.
How can it be factual that's impossible? Isn't it just implied that such comments are opinion based?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
How can it be factual that's impossible? Isn't it just implied that such comments are opinion based?

Ok.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Ok.
Plug sometimes I think you oppose just for the sake of it. Ok. Image

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Ok.
Plug sometimes I think you oppose just for the sake of it. Ok. Image

Ok.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:Looking at the ladder and at the remaining fixtures I can't see us finishing higher than 14th or lower than 15th.

The only remaining games I think we are chance to win are the Geelong game and Melbourne but that is at the G so they will be favorites there.

The two stand outs to me appear to be Weitering and Schache who according to everything I have read you will just take regardless of needs because they are just that good.
The next level is Francis who sounds like Gilbert with a bit better disposal, Mathieson who is an in and under midfielder the one part of the midfield we have covered and Parish.
Brisbane would love to take a big man either forward or back as their midfield is definitely their strength.
Gold Coast however will probably be looking to grab an elite midfielder as they have struggled this year because of the absence of Ablett and O'Meara and Bennell will leave at the end of the year.
Melbourne will be looking at the best available preferably a key back, as they have a strong midfield and key forward stocks.
So given that Parish is widely considered the best pure mid, excluding the academy players, in this draft I don't see how he will last to us.
The Mock draft has Parish going at 7. So if we are pick 5 or 6 we are clearly a big chance.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 7433319073

I also like this Michael Hagan kid with a later pick - maybe our pick in the 40s.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think we will end up with pick, 4, 5, or 6. We may have a choice of Francis and Parish at those picks. Another BJ on the cards?
And I agree with you Con re Michael Hagan. If we could get Francis or Parish with our first pick, Rice with 3rd, Hagan with our 4th, we would have done very well. Our 2nd pick best available.

stjay
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:Looking at the ladder and at the remaining fixtures I can't see us finishing higher than 14th or lower than 15th.

The Mock draft has Parish going at 7. So if we are pick 5 or 6 we are clearly a big chance.

I also like this Michael Hagan kid with a later pick - maybe our pick in the 40s.

2 of those top 7 are academy linked players

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

2 of those top 7 are academy linked players
Which would make Parish pick 5?

So the Swans and GWS get first call on Mills and Hopper? Is that the rule?

stjay
Club Player

Yeah if a club calls them Swans & GWS will need to match with points less a 20% discount.
Struggle to see us winning many more this year so we're definitely in the hunt for the kid.
Might get interesting if any of the top 5 picks get traded.