Round 22 Adam Goodes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 22 Adam Goodes

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Winmar7 wrote:To all those who think Adam Goodes 'bullied' the 13/14 year old girl, how about you direct your anger towards her parents, who could not raise her by that age to know that calling a black man an 'ape' is offensive, I certainly knew that at 13/14 and would expect most others to... though clearly Eddie McGuire took a long time to learn it.

I really hope that St Kilda fans will be better than to boo Goodes in Round 22, which could possibly be his last game in Melbourne. Let's cheer him instead and drown out the boos.

Yes she was ignorant, and also she is from a one parent family.

The term big ape to an aboriginal certainly has racist connotations, and nobody in their right mind is disputing Adam Goodes had the right to point out this racism. In fact it should be encouraged. We don't need that type of thing at football.

She certainly didn't know that calling him that was racist, and she more certainly didn't call him a black ape, which would have confirmed to me she understood perfectly what she was saying was racist.

Goodes did not know her age on the night. What offends me is that when he made his grand political statement of "the face of racism is a 13.yo. girl" he knew damned well her age.

He chose to demonise and vilify her for his own political advantage. Now you can make excuses for him and point the blame at others but AFAIAC he knowingly bullied the girl for self serving political purposes.

He even acknowledged that the kid probably didn't know what she was saying and need education. I agree with this, racism is not on.

But either is abuse and bullying of children.
What is the girl's name?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
markp wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:i always thought booing was for 2 things:
1. a player just left your club and is now the opposition... booing is mandatory for a season or 2
Unless of course there is good will during the club change, e.g. I never saw a need to boo Dal santo
2. A player does something on the field on a particular day, they can be booed for the rest of the game

Now, Goodes does not fit in to 1.
So, unless he gives someone a backhander behind play, then there is just no justification in booing

The whole thing smells of racism to me... one mob starts booing and then every mob starts booing.. .each individual claims they are not booing for racist reasons.. but the fact is, racism is a mob mentality
Yep good call.
Those two categories for booing seem to be the traditional ones that should stay.
What about - 3. Great opposition players who have inflicted much pain over the years, who are also seen as nasty, cheap, protected, figjams... who don't belong to a minority, of course.

And what would happen to a 3. if they did a war dance, complained about the booing, and labelled those booing as ignorant?

I don't boo anyone (except biased umpires) and don't really care for it (except against biased umpires), but as Satchmo pointed out, good luck trying to stop it.

But hey, a disengeuous campaign labelling all the booing as racist is the easiest way to try stamp it out.
Hooray! Power to the racist f*ckhead! Yay.
Cop that AFL! Dont try and stop us!

Racists UNITE - WE HAVE THE RIGHT.

Come on chant it together!
Con are you just going to slang abuse at others or will you even try to look at the issues being raised.

You hysteria and labelling is not really helping, but only inflaming and dividing.

Or is that your aim?

You are garbage - Enough said
markp
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
markp wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:i always thought booing was for 2 things:
1. a player just left your club and is now the opposition... booing is mandatory for a season or 2
Unless of course there is good will during the club change, e.g. I never saw a need to boo Dal santo
2. A player does something on the field on a particular day, they can be booed for the rest of the game

Now, Goodes does not fit in to 1.
So, unless he gives someone a backhander behind play, then there is just no justification in booing

The whole thing smells of racism to me... one mob starts booing and then every mob starts booing.. .each individual claims they are not booing for racist reasons.. but the fact is, racism is a mob mentality
Yep good call.
Those two categories for booing seem to be the traditional ones that should stay.
What about - 3. Great opposition players who have inflicted much pain over the years, who are also seen as nasty, cheap, protected, figjams... who don't belong to a minority, of course.

And what would happen to a 3. if they did a war dance, complained about the booing, and labelled those booing as ignorant?

I don't boo anyone (except biased umpires) and don't really care for it (except against biased umpires), but as Satchmo pointed out, good luck trying to stop it.

But hey, a disengeuous campaign labelling all the booing as racist is the easiest way to try stamp it out.
Hooray! Power to the racist f*ckhead! Yay.
Cop that AFL! Dont try and stop us!

Racists UNITE - WE HAVE THE RIGHT.

Come on chant it together!
Lol

Is that you calling me that?

Is that the best you've got?

So not only is everyone who boo's a racist, but so is everyone who doesn't agree that all those booing are racists?

saintjake
Club Player

I'll be booing him because he is an A grade flog.

Viking3
Club Player

How about we bin this thread??
Pro Goodes : Automatically seen as kow-towing!
Anti Goodes: Automatically called a racist!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
FQF
SS Life Member

I wouldn't boo Goodes because I would not want to have any association to possible racists, but the fact of the matter is clear — so long as fans think that they can directly confer an advantage on their team by booing Goodes, which clearly affects his performance, they will do it. Fair enough too.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote:How about we bin this thread??
This thread is really interesting to me.

I am interested in all opinions.

I am also interested in how quickly someone can be branded a racist.

The whole problem is that people are too scared to say what they think because this is such a sensitive issue. and so the subject gets "binned"

I don't agree with all opinions here. I'm not a big fan of Adams either. And unless some one actually says they hate Adam because of his race I don't think
they should be labelled racists. To me it is such an insulting name to brand someone so lets be careful how we throw the term around shall we.
Lets not undo the good that Michael Long and Nicky Winmar have achieved. And the AFL with their indigenous round too.

Viking3
Club Player

mullet wrote:

The whole problem is that people are too scared to say what they think because this is such a sensitive issue. and so the subject gets "binned"

I don't agree with all opinions here. I'm not a big fan of Adams either. And unless some one actually says they hate Adam because of his race I don't think
they should be labelled racists. To me it is such an insulting name to brand someone so lets be careful how we throw the term around shall we.
Lets not undo the good that Michael Long and Nicky Winmar have achieved. And the AFL with their indigenous round too.
Yes, I am interested in opinions too.
There are however too many on here that move from opinions to aspersions, and that brings sensible conversation to a grounding halt.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote:
mullet wrote:

Yes, I am interested in opinions too.
There are however too many on here that move from opinions to aspersions, and that brings sensible conversation to a grounding halt.
Yes agree with you there. I wish the name calling would stop. I am extremely interested in their opinions though

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Society is becoming too thin skinned...won't be long before we are reduced to thought transfer..then the $hit will hit the fan.

I Recall some saying that Roo looked like an Alpaca...just sayin.

PS nothing wrong with this thread..the subject needs discussion if only to highlight the non event that it is.
Last edited by The Fireman on Tue 28 Jul 2015 5:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Society is becoming too thin skinned...won't be long before we are reduced to thought transfer..then the $hit will hit the fan.

Tell me you aren't trying compare that to Goodes being called an ape? Please.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Society is becoming too thin skinned...won't be long before we are reduced to thought transfer..then the $hit will hit the fan.

oh dear here we go again.

You tell yourself what ever you like.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So no answer so you are comparing. Fair enough. It just proves you don't get racism. You like saying here we go when questioned about statements that make no sense.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So no answer so you are comparing. Fair enough. It just proves you don't get racism. You like saying here we go when questioned about statements that make no sense.
So many things I say make little sense to you , I get that, in the meantime you can make whatever you like out of the things I say but do us all a favor and keep them to yourself.
PS Send me a pic of yourself and I may be able to give you my thoughts on what you remind me of :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So many things I say make little sense to you , I get that, in the meantime you can make whatever you like out of the things I say but do us all a favor and keep them to yourself.
PS Send me a pic of yourself and I may be able to give you my thoughts on what you remind me of :)

Your comment was clear. You were saying that people had a go at Nick looking like an alpaca and it is obvious to anyone that you were comparing that to Goodes being called an ape. Now you are called out on it you wont admit what you meant. It is bloody obvious what you meant. And I wont keep them to myself if you say that sort of crap on here. I look Like a red faced jew.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Your comment was clear. You were saying that people had a go at Nick looking like an alpaca and it is obvious to anyone that you were comparing that to Goodes being called an ape. Now you are called out on it you wont admit what you meant. It is bloody obvious what you meant. And I wont keep them to myself if you say that sort of crap on here. I look Like a red faced jew.
Please send me the pic so I can make my own observation and if my description of you is close yet unflattering will you get upset ? In meantime keep your interpretations of what I say to yourself. I'm not interested in them unless of course you you are doing this to beat your own drum ? Most on here would agree with the latter :)

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote:

Why - deeply personal insults to one's person are no more hurtful because they are based on race. It is very possible to wound a person very deeply, even permanently by means of insults that are based on things other than race. What if someone directed insults about being a Nazi at Roo because of his German background? That would not be considered a racist remark but I would imagine there would be nothing more horrifying to many Germans than to be labelled a Nazi. For many adolescent females being labelled overweight, unattractive and/or unpopular is their worst fear and potentially a cause of self-harming.

Let's drop the myth that categories of insults have a hierarchy just because we cannot assuage our inexplicable guilt at being white....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by The Fireman on Tue 28 Jul 2015 5:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why - deeply personal insults to one's person are no more hurtful because they are based on race. It is very possible to wound a person very deeply, even permanently by means of insults that are based on things other than race. What if someone directed insults about being a Nazi at Roo because of his German background? That would not be considered a racist remark but I would imagine there would be nothing more horrifying to many Germans than to be labelled a Nazi. For many adolescent females being labelled overweight, unattractive and/or unpopular is their worst fear and potentially a cause of self-harming.

Let's drop the myth that categories of insults have a hierarchy just because we cannot assuage our inexplicable guilt at being white....
Nice turn of phrase.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Please send me the pic so I can make my own observation and if my description of you is close yet unflattering will you get upset ? In meantime keep your interpretations of what I say to yourself. I'm not interested in them unless of course you you are doing this to beat your own drum ? Most on here would agree with the latter :)

Sorry but I wont keep them to myself if they are said on a public forum and I think its a poor comment. Report me for something if you like. Not sure what though. And I don't care what you say I look like because there is no racism against white people in Australia. And im not beating my own drum. Im saying your comments don't mean a thing when comparing them to Goodes. Look me up on facebook on the Ormond footy site if you are so keen to look at me. I have told you I look like a red faced jew.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Who is this guy fooling?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... im3m7.html

Telling a black man to go back to the zoo is banter??

Jesus some people must think we are stupid.

What else could it possibly mean? The idiot should also get a seasons ban.

I would be appalled if I heard than in a Saints crowd.

You are garbage - Enough said
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Please send me the pic so I can make my own observation and if my description of you is close yet unflattering will you get upset ? In meantime keep your interpretations of what I say to yourself. I'm not interested in them unless of course you you are doing this to beat your own drum ? Most on here would agree with the latter :)

Sorry but I wont keep them to myself if they are said on a public forum and I think its a poor comment. Report me for something if you like. Not sure what though. And I don't care what you say I look like because there is no racism against white people in Australia. And im not beating my own drum. Im saying your comments don't mean a thing when comparing them to Goodes. Look me up on facebook on the Ormond footy site if you are so keen to look at me. I have told you I look like a red faced jew.
I would never report you Pluggsy...that's not my go and you are right I have nothing to report ...serial pest is not reportable one here :) ..and there is no racism against white people in Australia...how did you come up with that gem ? racism is a 2 way street no matter where you are..very silly thing to say Pluggsy.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote:

because there is no racism against white people in Australia.

Ok, Skip......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I would never report you Pluggsy...that's not my go and you are right I have nothing to report ...serial pest is not reportable one here :) ..and there is no racism against white people in Australia...how did you come up with that gem ? racism is a 2 way street no matter where you are..very silly thing to say Pluggsy.

Sorry I missed a couple of vital words. When comparing white people to animals etc. There is nothing you could compare a white person too that is racist. As soon as you mention apes with black people it is racist.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Honestly, it's like someone distilled all the stupidity in the world and pumped it into your head.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post