Membrey... The new Jake Stringer?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Membrey... The new Jake Stringer?

Membrey is the new Milan Faletic

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:Membrey is the new Milan Faletic
lol. Actually thought that myself.

Time will tell.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If he takes 14 grabs and kicks 3

Why not kick it to him? He's a potent forward, best mobile KPP I've seen, ever...

Any 6' chump can play on the wing and get a kick
Very Few can take 14 grabs fwd of the centre
We've invested heavily in the forward line of the future and _ since we're unlikely to be contending for a premiership this season _ I'd see it as a backward step to move him back to chf. That's my view, anyway. The club may see it differently.

Playing him forward risks stunting the development of all the other goal-kickers, since he demands every ball. It still counts as a goal whoever kicks it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Membrey is the new Milan Faletic
Hope not. The Saints tried to play Milan as a KPF which he was not.

Had they had left him on a flank and in other positions he may have had a longer career.

Interestingly he only ever played half a game as a ruck rover at the Saints and snared 28 possessions. You would have thought that would have merited other games there, but no.

Lets hope the club does not play Membrey as a KPF.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Paddy will get a game when he warrants one...

He and Membrey must fight for a spot, not get gifted games. The other waits his turn and plays VFL

You don't stop developing if you play VFL

By the time Nick is done, hopefully they have reached a point where they both deserve a game

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Paddy will get a game when he warrants one...

He and Membrey must fight for a spot, not get gifted games. The other waits his turn and plays VFL

You don't stop developing if you play VFL

By the time Nick is done, hopefully they have reached a point where they both deserve a game
I get that, but it doesn't address something that has been an issue for many years and will become an issue again if Riewoldt plays forward permanently.

Every ball goes to him and he's not a good enough converter to make it cost effective.

Having him up the ground is win/win as it lessens our dependence on him to kick a winning score. Incidentally, it doesn't stop him kicking goals either. He appears happy in his new role and his form has been sensational for a 33-year-old.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: I get that, but it doesn't address something that has been an issue for many years and will become an issue again if Riewoldt plays forward permanently. Every ball goes to him and he's not a good enough converter to make it cost effective.

Sorry but that was the case. It no longer is the case. Times are achanging my friend.

Richo is clearly a coach who is ruthless about team rules and in players taking the right option.

Against the Dees Roo mainly played forward, yet we shared the ball around nicely and used many forward optons. Yes Roo still won a lot of ball, but that he is an elite player playing elite football.

At no stage did I feel that we had lapsed into the "Kickit to Roo mindset".

Who knows how long Roo will keep playing. Would not surprise me if he played 3 more as he is a freak.

Imagine 2019 where our finals team has as our 21st and 22nd players Roo and Steven.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 04 May 2016 10:30am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
bigcarl wrote: I get that, but it doesn't address something that has been an issue for many years and will become an issue again if Riewoldt plays forward permanently. Every ball goes to him and he's not a good enough converter to make it cost effective.

Sorry but that was the case. It no longer is the case. Times are achanging my friend..
We shall see. :wink:

Playon
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Playon wrote:Well we had a killer forward line with Bruce, Membrey and Roo. Roo shouldnt be on the wing IMO.
Why not? He's having a great season wherever he plays. You really want to go back to kick-it-to Nick?
You bet we had a forward line that was up there with the best, I like seeing kick it to Nick, kick it to Bruce and Kick it to Membrey, I also like winning and while Roo is in the forward line we look a lot more dangerous. I'm sure that opposition coaches would enjoy it when he's not there and while he's up the ground he's not quite as dangerous, and just another marking target

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Playon wrote:Well we had a killer forward line with Bruce, Membrey and Roo. Roo shouldnt be on the wing IMO.
Why not? He's having a great season wherever he plays. You really want to go back to kick-it-to Nick?
You bet we had a forward line that was up there with the best, I like seeing kick it to Nick, kick it to Bruce and Kick it to Membrey, I also like winning and while Roo is in the forward line we look a lot more dangerous. I'm sure that opposition coaches would enjoy it when he's not there and while he's up the ground he's not quite as dangerous, and just another marking target
Well if we can swing it that they look for the best option every time ... rather than kick it to a bloke who has led into a position from which he cannot possibly convert and has to beat three opposition players to take the mark anyway ... I'm all for it.

But I'm cynical as to whether this can be achieved. We've had about 14 years to get it right and haven't quite succeeded.

We need many routes to goal like last week, but one swallow does not a summer make

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think we've got it fairly right at times

Seemed no issue from 2003 to 2007 when paired with Fraser

In 2008-2011 we played finals
A fwd line with Roo and Milney
And a brilliant support cast of Kosi, Mini, Eddy and Schnieds
Seriously Roo carried out fwd line entries because he was head and shoulders better than others
Worse from 2012 to 2014

On the weekend for example
Nick took 14 grabs. Bruce and Membrey probably didn't achieve that together.
I think he presents MORE and reads the incoming ball better

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Eddy?

Are you trying to start WWWIII?

I'm channeling Sceptic....

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Is it possible to have Membrey, Bruce, McCartin and Riewoldt in the same team? Ok so maybe it is not impossible but is it practical and can we get enough games into Membrey while we are so heavily invested in Paddy as a number 1 pick?

This will sound harsh, but I reckon we need Membrey in the team more than we need McCartin right now. It is important to our future final's success for McCartin to live up to his potential but McCartin was managed last week and he will need to be 'managed' again and again because his fitness is not up to scratch. I'm not saying that he should have the fitness of Bruce or Roo right now and I'm not saying that McCartin won't get there but personally I'd love to have Membrey and Bruce working together for about 8 games in a row to see whether this combination can work while Roo is still in the team.

I think just like Swans, Hawks, Eagles and now the Kangaroos that our 3 tall forwards will benefit us. And I'm not including Riewoldt when I talk of 3 talls. I know it would be great for Roo and Joey if we make finals and top 4 in the next 2 years but...seriously what are our chances? I don't want to be hoping that Roo will be playing for 3 more years and I don't want to be hoping that we'll be top 4 next year. I think Richo cannot waiver from the plan to ease Roo out of the forward line. We know that is what is happening and I think it's crucial that Membrey and McCartin take over. What I want is a plan that involves Membrey because I reckon he can get the job done.
Is it possible to have Membrey, Bruce, McCartin and Riewoldt in the same team? Well done to the coach and match committee for trying out the 3 young talls up forward and hopefully they'll be bold enough to keep going with it against better opposition than the VFL top ups. The answer was definitely yes, as long as Roo plays up the ground and only goes forward when one of these 3 is resting on the bench.

As for Paddy, I think as long as he builds a tank he's showing signs of being a gun and a worthy Number 1 pick

saintbob
SS Life Member

Back to the subject title, Skunk is nothing like The Package.

But it got me thinking, that geez I love to see the Skunk slide into the centre square every now and again the same way Roughie does or like Hamill used to do in short bursts and crunch a few on his way out.
Last edited by saintbob on Tue 24 May 2016 6:25am, edited 3 times in total.

citywest

Membrey... The new and improved Jack Gunston!!

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

citywest wrote:Membrey... The new and improved Jack Gunston!!
Lets not get carried away!! Gunston is way better than Membrey, he's taller, more athletic, quicker and much more highly skilled. Membrey will be a good honest footballer who needs to play as a third string medium/tall forward. He will never be an A Grader, but all we need is for him to be dangerous enough to warrant a decent defender to pay him some respect so that it allows Bruce and McCartin to play one out with their opponents. If Membrey can kick 30 goals a year and maintain good defensive pressure, we have a winner

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: He will never be an A Grader...If Membrey can kick 30 goals a year and maintain good defensive pressure, we have a winner
?? I think with hard work and consistent games he'll prove you wrong and it'll probably coincide with us being a top 8 team. At any rate, Membrey has huge upside and with continual improvement there's every chance

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote: He will never be an A Grader...If Membrey can kick 30 goals a year and maintain good defensive pressure, we have a winner
?? I think with hard work and consistent games he'll prove you wrong and it'll probably coincide with us being a top 8 team. At any rate, Membrey has huge upside and with continual improvement there's every chance
Agreed, just about every recruit we get is written off from being top quality on this forum.

He's played 17 AFL games and people seem to think he has peeked. No one has said this directly but is implied given his solid performance this season, if he did perform any better he may well just be pushing A grade.

Club Player

membrey is still improving, he has always got his hands to the ball but dropped too many. there were some good signs on the w/e, with one really strong grab, good ground work and pressure. he will keep his spot for years to come.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Membrey has been held back in a way; to develop some consistency and dependability about his game. He has been asked to play a role that doesn't really suit or fully utilise some of the more spectacular aspects of his game. He is developing a good defensive tank and has a some exciting attributes as a natural explosive forward. Im a fan.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

See below a couple of articles on Membrey around the time he was drafted - good reads

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_pag ... D=21415374

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 7180563493

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Griggsy wrote:
Scollop wrote:
Agreed, just about every recruit we get is written off from being top quality on this forum.

He's played 17 AFL games and people seem to think he has peeked. No one has said this directly but is implied given his solid performance this season, if he did perform any better he may well just be pushing A grade.
Firstly I didn't write him off nor did I say he has peaked, but each club would have maybe 4-5 genuine A graders the great clubs have a load of B - b+ players that's what sets them apart. Tim has every chance to be a B grader, he just doesn't have any special qualities like a Springer to be a genuine A grader, this is not a knock on him it's just the way it is. But again if he can kick 30+ goals a season and be a target up forward we can develop a really even forward line with more than one or two options to kick goals which we haven't had for a few years. That's better than one or two stars and others that are just witches hats

citywest

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Lets not get carried away!! Gunston is way better than Membrey, he's taller, more athletic, quicker and much more highly skilled. Membrey will be a good honest footballer who needs to play as a third string medium/tall forward. He will never be an A Grader, but all we need is for him to be dangerous enough to warrant a decent defender to pay him some respect so that it allows Bruce and McCartin to play one out with their opponents. If Membrey can kick 30 goals a year and maintain good defensive pressure, we have a winner
If I'm not mistaken Gunston and Membrey are the same height.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
If I'm not mistaken Gunston and Membrey are the same height.

Well Mr Mistaken Gunston is 193 and Membrey is 188.

So not even close.

We are talking key forward (though on the slight side) vs half forward flanker

Griggsy
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Griggsy wrote:
Scollop wrote:

Firstly I didn't write him off nor did I say he has peaked, but each club would have maybe 4-5 genuine A graders the great clubs have a load of B - b+ players that's what sets them apart. Tim has every chance to be a B grader, he just doesn't have any special qualities like a Springer to be a genuine A grader, this is not a knock on him it's just the way it is. But again if he can kick 30+ goals a season and be a target up forward we can develop a really even forward line with more than one or two options to kick goals which we haven't had for a few years. That's better than one or two stars and others that are just witches hats
I know you didn't, that's why I said no one has said it directly but you did use the word never. My point was more in his current form as a 17 gamer and 3rd option forward, how much more does he have to improve to be A grade in that position. I just think he could easily bridge that gap by say 100 games if he is consistent.