Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy

prwilkinson wrote:Yeah it's a concern. If he were a boxer you'd say he had a chin made out of glass.
I knew a couple of boxers who had the goods, but couldn't go further- as soon as they got a decent tap on the head, they went to the floor- "glass jaw", whereas other guys could get clobbered ,and never really lost their feet...mind you it all catches up years later.

I think Paddy should be rested for the the season at least

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:Sounds like the club are feeding the media tripe again? If you read what WW has provided there is scientific evidence indicating that diabetes does heighten the affects of head knocks/concussion. Truly concerning that it may cause the premature end to another players career?
McCartin suffers no lingering effects and hasn't been getting follow up headaches. The guys on Triple M all commented that it's because we are so over cautious that he even gets taken off.
A/ and you know he suffers no lingering effects because...

B/ and the medical qualifications of the triple m team are?

You should read a little about

OH & S, risk management and duty of care

and then comment about this

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
4ever_saint
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:
CURLY wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:Sounds like the club are feeding the media tripe again? If you read what WW has provided there is scientific evidence indicating that diabetes does heighten the affects of head knocks/concussion. Truly concerning that it may cause the premature end to another players career?
McCartin suffers no lingering effects and hasn't been getting follow up headaches. The guys on Triple M all commented that it's because we are so over cautious that he even gets taken off.
A/ and you know he suffers no lingering effects because...
Sorry to interject but his manager, Scott Lucas, was on radio yesterday and confirmed he's had no lingering effects.
The manager of Paddy McCartin, Scott Lucas says after his third concussion of the year yesterday against the Gold Coast further investigations will need to be carried out by the Saints.

He admits a couple of the knocks in-particular haven’t been heavy, which does make it slightly concerning.

“I think when you’ve had three and a couple of the knocks haven’t looked particularly nasty in terms of what you would imagine from a concussion, clearly St Kilda will investigate, because his welfare is paramount,” Lucas told SEN Radio.

“Certainly I think for any player you can substitute Paddy’s name for any player (and) when you’ve had three in a season you want to make sure you’re doing a full investigation just to assess that.

“We’ll be there to support him and the club in getting that.”

McCartin only just returned from a concussion suffered against Adelaide prior to the bye and Lucas says he passed all the tests with flying colours.

However, unlike other players who have had numerous knocks he has pulled up very well, particularly as others have felt symptoms for weeks after.

“He a couple of weeks ago after the Adelaide game had all the tests, fine, full clearance,” he said.

“What’s been interesting is that he’s pulled up very well. It’s bad that he’s got the knocks, but he’s pulled up very well from them, as opposed to some players that have had a knock and felt the after affects for two or three weeks.

“I think each case is unique in a sense, but more broadly I think clubs are doing a great job in monitoring players and the welfare of players.

“The times when players could talk their way into coming back on has ceased many years ago.”

He isn’t sure whether by having a longer break after a head knock it makes a discernible difference, but does admit players who have several concussions appear to be more susceptible.

“This has no science, it’s only my opinion in observing the game that a length of time I don’t think makes any difference,” said Lucas.

“But, I do believe and we’ve seen numbers of players where they get a couple, they do seem more prone to further ones.

“It just seems they’re more susceptible to it.”

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/07-16/mc ... oC8peTP.99

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

From the club:

St Kilda FC
2h
St Kilda FC ‏@stkildafc
"Our information regarding Paddy's concussion and his diabetes is that they're completely unrelated." JC

Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Will miss one week for sure; the rest subject to more extensive testing.

Fingers crossed paddy.

Always loyal
4ever_saint
Club Player

For those interested, Jamie Cox, our GM of Football Performance (who did the presser today re: Paddy) will be on SEN's Run Home at 5:25pm.
The Run Home ‏@TheRunHome 19m19 minutes ago
COMING UP: @stkildafc GM of Football performance @jamiecox1969 at 5.25pm

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Is he being mollycoddled a bit do you think? I guess the current thinking is that you have to be extremely careful with concussions and I get that. Imagine how many matches Riewoldt would have missed if he had a week off for every concussion. Twelve or 15 over a career I'd guess.

Glad to hear it from the club that the concussions are not diabetes related and nor are there any lingering effects. That gives me hope for Paddy's future

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Put it in the rack for the year.

Get him in the gym from now until stumps.

Preseason...

Move on from there.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
repta
Club Player

Bye McClunk
See your helmeted melon next year.

2 years down. 10 to go.

Look at the long term nothing to achieve this year.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

4ever_saint wrote:
8856brother wrote:Helmets and head gear offer no help with concussion. Helps with facial injuries. Brain bouncing around inside the scull is the problem.
There are prototype NFL helmets that are said to absorb the impact of a hit to the head, protecting the brain from "bouncing" as you say...though I doubt if we have anything like that in Australia (nor anything suited to playing AFL as opposed to NFL)...

Even if the helmet can absorb *some* of the impact for him, it's worth a try. While there's no conclusive proof it'll help...at this stage, and with his career (and long-term health) on the line, surely it can't hurt to try. Though, with that said, I'm sure the medico's will know best.
If helmets don't help with concussion then why do the NFL players wear them? Surely they have to help a little!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
CURLY wrote:
Is he being mollycoddled a bit do you think? I guess the current thinking is that you have to be extremely careful with concussions and I get that. Imagine how many matches Riewoldt would have missed if he had a week off for every concussion. Twelve or 15 over a career I'd guess.

Glad to hear it from the club that the concussions are not diabetes related and nor are there any lingering effects. That gives me hope for Paddy's future
Those are big calls from the club. How do they know there are no lingering effects? Not yet, anyway. I know they have to say the right things to avoid panic, but in all honesty, we won't know for some time what the effects might be. Best to put him in cotton wool for the time being, from what I've read on the subject. Truth is, even with all the research that's being done and has been done in this area, no one can definitively say what the outcomes of these types of injuries will be. Each one is specific to the individual. As far as the brain chemistry goes, who knows? Is Paddy a severe diabetic, or is his condition relatively minor? Does he need lots of insulin? How quickly does his body metabolise sugars once he has the correct amount of insulin in his system? All these factors will determine to what extent a trauma to his brain will affect him. I just hope the boy will be alright.

It was something I wondered about when we drafted him, because while the overall management of type 1 diabetes in athletes is generally quite effective in terms of performance and general welfare, the concussion/diabetes research and best practice methods are far from conclusive. I'm pretty sure the club would've thoroughly explored this area before making its decision, although you never know. Managing type 1 diabetes as an athlete is still a bit tricky, but by no means a reason to prevent selecting someone like Paddy. If it's ever going to be well monitored and managed, it would be in the elite sporting environment. I just hope an endocrinologist and neurologist had some input.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Great questions WW and I doubt we will ever publically find out the answer. You'd think given he was touted as pick 1 to 2 that it's all clear re your issues, but perhaps not, given the whole concussion management strategy is very new to the AFL

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
shrodes
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:
4ever_saint wrote:
8856brother wrote:Helmets and head gear offer no help with concussion. Helps with facial injuries. Brain bouncing around inside the scull is the problem.
There are prototype NFL helmets that are said to absorb the impact of a hit to the head, protecting the brain from "bouncing" as you say...though I doubt if we have anything like that in Australia (nor anything suited to playing AFL as opposed to NFL)...

Even if the helmet can absorb *some* of the impact for him, it's worth a try. While there's no conclusive proof it'll help...at this stage, and with his career (and long-term health) on the line, surely it can't hurt to try. Though, with that said, I'm sure the medico's will know best.
If helmets don't help with concussion then why do the NFL players wear them? Surely they have to help a little!
There's some argument to say it might be worse in some ways, as it limits peripheral vision (potentially leading to more blind side hits), and players drive with their head when running as it's the hardest bit of equipment they have on, which leads to more head clashes and neck injuries. I don't think it's a solution for the AFL league as a whole to wear helmets, but the research in this area by the NFL hopefully translates to contact sports worldwide.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Plugger never got concussed.....he concussed.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I hope Paddy isn't feeling too strained about this. It must be at the back of his mind somewhere about if he can sustain a career in AFL and his future health and career prospects. And then you might even have some guilt about Saints taking betting on him with the number 1 pick and he desperately wants to repay that faith. He's seems to be have been super cool about the no. 1 pick tag on his shoulders but you don't know how it may be affecting him inside. You forget he's not much more than a kid and the intense media and public scrutiny about your health and football worth would be a weird thing to cope with. His laid back attitude might be sorely tested.

I wonder if the ramp up to full AFL training and regular senior games has been a big strain on his system as a big unit particularly with the diabetes perhaps complicating things. I'm hoping as he gets fitter and stronger then his system will become a bit more bullet proof and it won't be an ongoing issue.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Same problem as all our other players then - brain's too small.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote:Plugger never got concussed.....he concussed.
I imagine Plugger's skull being a bit like a blue stone building block.

steve7920

Could we play him as a key defender for the rest of the year instead of in the forward line? Should at least allow him to get his games/experience up, whilst reducing risk of concussion since he'll be going for spoils/intercept marks rather than crashing packs. Thoughts?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Friendly fire was to blame on two occasions this year - Newnes chasing the same ground ball and Membrey going for the same mark (as Paddy, respectively).

re: Newnes
Paddy should have left the ball that Newnes was chasing (for Newnes himself) and been ready for the handball receive maybe - Newnes was after all running towards the goals whilst Paddy had his back turned.

re: Membrey
Membrey would have spoiled any chance that Paddy had of completing the contested mark that should have been his (Paddy's) in the first place. It was a pretty unrealistic mark to go for (from behind) and Membrey would have been better served to pick up any likely spill - i.e. be the man at ground level.

So two of Paddy's concussions came as a result of bad or dumb football - the first from him (Paddy), the second from his team mate.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 05 Jul 2016 9:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Accidents occur when players are ruthless and not afraid to attack the footy. I don't think it's a coincidence that severe injuries occur when your team is down and desperate acts are required.

You can't begrudge Newnes or Membrey for their efforts to get us back into the game (against Adelaide the Crows were getting away and against GCSuns we started poorly). It's a testament to the courage of guys like Newnes, Membrey and especially Paddy that they'll put their body on the line for the sake of their team.

Remember when Goose broke his leg? We were behind on the scoreboard against the Swans and most of the team were just going through the motions. I was proud of Goose's effort and admired his courage. The AFL changed the rule so that players can't dive and take out someone's feet after Rowan also broke his leg in a similar accident.

People used to hang it on Kozi when he used to crash into Rooy in the forward line but that's because he also only had eyes for the ball.
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 05 Jul 2016 4:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote:Accidents occur when players are ruthless and not afraid to attack the footy. I don't think it's a coincidence that severe injuries occur when your team is down and desperate acts are required.

You can't begrudge Newnes or Membrey for their effort. It's a testament to the courage of guys like Newnes, Membrey and especially Paddy that they'll put their body on the line for the sake of their team.

Remember when Goose broke his leg? We were behind on the scoreboard against the Swans and most of the team were just going through the motions. I was proud of Goose's effort and admired his courage.

People used to hang it on Kozi when he used to crash into Rooy in the forward line but that's because he also only had eyes for the ball.
Plus One, well said, the game is played at breakneck speed as well!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Scollop wrote:Accidents occur when players are ruthless and not afraid to attack the footy. I don't think it's a coincidence that severe injuries occur when your team is down and desperate acts are required.

You can't begrudge Newnes or Membrey for their effort. It's a testament to the courage of guys like Newnes, Membrey and especially Paddy that they'll put their body on the line for the sake of their team.

Remember when Goose broke his leg? We were behind on the scoreboard against the Swans and most of the team were just going through the motions. I was proud of Goose's effort and admired his courage.

Good point, scollop (and stonecold for seconding it). Ruthless is good - but all I'm saying, I guess, is sometimes you need to be smart as well - and I think that applied here, one both occasions.

Going for a low percentage mark from behind and spoiling Paddy, the key forward who had the realistic chance of taking the mark - I think Membrey would be happy to have that moment back again and play it differently.

Equally, Paddy should not have gone for the loose ball that Newnes was trying to control - with Newnes running towards goal and Paddy heading the other way.

On both occasions it wasn't good team football.... they were stepping on each other's toes and being ruthless to their own team mates. I call that dumb.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 05 Jul 2016 4:48pm, edited 3 times in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Agree. Or in the words of Harry Callaghan; "Man's gotta know his limitations"

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I would not panic, but I would give him a week off and make him wear a helmet for the rest of the year. The little bloke from Footscray wears one every week and to my knowledge has never had a concussion. Burkey wore one for may matches, Phil Narkle wore one. No disgrace. I am sure it would lift his confidence for a start.
Yeah Burkey wore a helmet after 1991. That cheap shot laid on him by the dirty dog Ablett Sr in the elimination final was why he opted for it in the end. The helmet may have sunstantially prolonged his playing career. Aside from the Ablett cheap shot, Burkey was prone to concussion because of the way he played. Even though Paddy is a forward, it seems he puts his body (and head) on the line much like Burke.

There should be no stigma attached to wearing a helmet in any sport or activity where head injuries are a danger. Last year veteran professional skateboarder, Mike Vallely, set a statement by donning a helmet every time he skates, whether it be vert or street. His reason: "I just want to protect my head"

The helmet makes perfect sense to me in 21st century game, where surfaces like Docklands and are harder, thus players fall harder. It's almost surprising more players aren't wearing them. It's crazy to think that in games like Ice Hockey and American Football they once didn't have helmets. Now it's compulsory for players to wear helmets in those sports.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!